Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 09:56:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Burrito Pie - great dish, try it!

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Burrito Pie - great dish, try it!  (Read 418 times)
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

Badges: (View All)
« on: February 04, 2008, 06:33:14 pm »

Everyone of you must have eaten the usual rolled burritos many times.  But have you ever thought of a large burrito piece on a flat baking dish in the shape of a pie where you need to cut it with a knife in pieces for serving?  Yep, you can make it and believe me, it's absolutely yummy!  It's very simple too.  Read everything below to learn this main dish.

I'll mention the ingredients in small quantities so that, if you're trying it the first time, your trial burrito pie will be a small one.  If you like it, you can then make a larger one next time by doubling the ingredients.

Ingredients:

1 pound (or half kg) lean ground beef or veal (Halal)
1 medium onion, chopped
Minced garlic and ginger, 1 teaspoonful each
6 or 3 large small green chillies, remove the seeds and chop (optional)
Half can tomatoes diced
1 green bell pepper, chopped
Half jar salsa sauce (if you prefer making your homemade sauce with tomatoes, please do so)
1 can beans, drained thoroughly and then fried a little
6 eight inch flour tortillas  (if you want to use whole wheat tortillas, go ahead)
1 packet shredded chedder cheese (Halal)

Method:

Cook the mince meat with onions, can tomatoes, ginger, garlic and chillies in the usual way by first frying the onions light golden-brown in minimal of cooking oil.  Then add mince meat, garlic and ginger paste.  Cook a little longer.  Add can diced tomatoes and chopped seedless chillies.  However, these chillies are optional.  Cook for another few minutes.  Add some water and cook on medium heat for one hour till water is dry and mince is cooked.  Now add half can diced tomatoes, half can salsa sauce and chopped green bell pepper.  Stir well and simmer for 5 minutes.  Remove from cooker and mix the drained & fried can beans with the mince. 

In a flat casserole dish (or you can even use a suitable greased alu foil dish) spread a thin layer of meat mixture.  Over it, place two tortillas.   Spread another layer of meat mixture over the tortillas.  Cover this second layer of meat mixture with grated cheese.  Over it, repeat this same arrangement of layers with the same ingredients left, ending with a layer of meat mixture and grated cheese. 

Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350F for about 20 minutes until cheese looks a little brown and bubbly.

Tastes great if accompanied with lettuce & carrot salad with dressing of your choice, and hot mashed seasoned potatoes. 

That's it!  You're done with a meal to remember  teethsmile

Enjoy your supper folks!  teethsmile  teethsmile

You can also prepare it in a casserole
like this, in layers as explained in the recipe.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 05:23:47 pm »

Lovely recipe sis!!  gotta try this one sooner rather than later  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 02:38:32 am »

OK ---- u know what?  I tried this dish last Friday after we returned home from Jummah prayers.  It turned out just great.  I put some additional spices in the mince otherwise it tastes too bland and my folks don't like it.  It really tasted superb!  Next time I'll add a thicker layer of burritos.  Actually I already had those large flatbread size burritos.  So I cut each one into 3 or 4 pieces and arranged 2 pieces over each layer of mince.  This was the first time I made a burrito pie and I was scared that if I put a very thick layer of burrito, it might turn hard during baking.  But that doesn't happen as long as its properly placed between layers of mince.  Another variation, I also sprinkled some salsa sauce while sprinkling grated cheese over the mince in addition to mixing some salsa with the mince as stated in the recipe.  And I used fresh beans instead of the canned ones.  If you're using fresh beans, you have to put the chopped beans with the mince as soon as you start cooking the mince because fresh beans are hard and take time to get a little tender.

Thanks sister rose for this great idea!  We all loved it teethsmile
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 02:06:34 am »

At last ... I made it too  Cheesy  it's really an awesome dish!  instead of tortillas I used whole-wheat flatbread because I already had a few in the fridge.  Flatbread is a larger and softer than tortilla.

Thank u rose for this grand discovery Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 11:15:13 pm »

I'm so happy that my burrito pie was a great hit    dancin   my immediate and extended family also loved it ..   viictery
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: