Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 03:29:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Shaving the head and cutting the hair on completing Hajj

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Shaving the head and cutting the hair on completing Hajj  (Read 3342 times)
Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

Badges: (View All)
« on: February 28, 2008, 04:27:17 am »

Very very interesting point indeed.  It requires knowledge of Arabic plus rationality together.  Unfortunately, not being well versed in Arabic, I can make a study of this thru my rationality and also arrive at some conclusions by perceiving the psychology of traditionalists. 

After reading all of those translations and comparing them with the rational perspective of neatness, it also crosses my mind that the translations are trying to convey a different meaning than what is meant in the original.  However, I too have found Pickthall to be least manipulative.  Probably for this reason some words of his old translations which might have been more accurate have now been changed after his death.  The example you quoted dated Feb.11, 2008 for verse 17:60 is one of those in Isra and Mairaj post. Sorry for not yet responding to it, but I do see your point which is very valid.   Words in brackets in all Quran translations are the clarifications of the author, not the orignal Quranic words.  Therefor, in Pickthall's work, all one needs to do to clarify the meaning of verse 48:27 is to read this verse by ignoring the bracket. That does very much tally with the explanation you've analysed. 

The sequence in which the Quran mentions these two terms "shaven and cut" appears self-explanatory. I quite agree that hair can't be cut after it's shaven.   In any case, men have made it an obligatory practice to shave their heads, not just cut it.  I also sense that verse 48:27 does not include women.  I really don't know how that practice came about for women to cut a small strand of their hair at the end of Pilgrimage.  Cutting only a lock of one's hair doesn't help to make anyone look tidy or untidy.  You could be right.  This might be to explain these translations -  shaving of head being interpreted for men and cutting of hair  directed toward women.  However, the Quran doesn't seem to convey this message in verse 48:27 at all. 

Somehow, I had never thought over this verse earlier.  It sure is informative, something to ponder upon.  After careful concentration on its meaning and logic, it looks very likely that the Noble Quran supports the idea of a clean shaven face, in that, a shaven face is better connected with a neat and tidy appearance from the Quranic view.  I realise, such an interpretation would make the traditionalists furious.  But that only shows yet again how much we Muslims as a comminity have deviated because of the ideas of the clerics.  It also shows how much the translators try to manipulate their works, not realising the huge violation of their conduct.  In other words, most translators seem to take advantage of the peoples' lack of knowledge in Arabic and their blind trust on traditional interpretations. 
You're right on about sunnah or hadith beard being "umkempt."  According to the verse from Surah Al-Hajj, it seems pretty obvious that a long and untrimmed beard is one of the characteristics of umkemptness a man needs to clean up.  It gives a very untidy look and also causes sweat and perspiration to get trapped on the face in hot and clammy weather.   

Besides, this sort of long uncut beard has always been a hallmark of people following non-Divine faiths e.g. Sikhs in general and Hindu fundamentalists grow this kinda unkempt beard.  The pagans in pre-Islamic Arabia (in the Days of Jahilya) also had untrimmed straggly beards and long hair. The Christian priests, other clerics and Jewish rabbis also associate beard with piety because that's what they've written in the altered old and new testaments.  They too have borrowed this idea from pre-Christian traditions.  Hadith has introduced beard and will go to any limits to support it because the hadith writers have since the beginning been very eager to integrate with pagan and altered Christian values by calling it 'Sunnah.'

Your perception is very logical.  I'll also be on the lookout to discuss this with those having knowledge of Arabic and who aren't partial about their opinion.  Thanks so much for this sister.  Assalaam Alaykum to you Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: