Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
April 20, 2024, 09:18:40 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Shaving the head and cutting the hair on completing Hajj

+-
Shoutbox
April 02, 2024, 07:27:22 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Details on Leila tul Qadr every Ramadan, links HERE.
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
View Shout History
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Shaving the head and cutting the hair on completing Hajj  (Read 3395 times)
Ahmad Bilal

Badges: (View All)
« on: May 19, 2008, 04:16:16 pm »

salamem everyone!

This is a very interesting topic, and the issue is debatable depending on your personal translation and understanding on the Quraan. The only other verse in the Quraan that mentions cutting the hair as one of the rites of Hajj is in 2:196, which says:

"You shall observe the complete rites of Hajj and`Umrah for Allah. If you are prevented, you shall send an offering, and do not resume cutting your hair until your offering has reached its destination. If you are ill, or suffering a head injury, you shall expiate by fasting, or giving to charity, or some other form of worship. During the normal Hajj, if you break the state of Ihraam between `Umrah and Hajj, you shall expiate by offering an animal sacrifice. If you cannot afford it, you shall fast three days during Hajj and seven when you return home - this completes ten - provided you do not live at the Sacred Masjid. You shall observe Allah, and know that Allah is strict in enforcing retribution." (Al Quraan 2:196)

Alhamdulillaah, because of the way God worded this verse, it's evident that the only obligatory cutting that was to be done was the cutting of the hair on the HEAD, since it mentions recompassing for it if you have a head injury. Since the statement in 48:27 simply says to cut (or shorten) the hair, not "shave", it gives the impression of cutting the hair on the HEAD, not the beard. The only verse that specifically mentions anything about having a beard is in 20:94:

"He said, "O son of my mother; do not pull me by my beard and my head. I was afraid that you might say, 'You have divided the Children of Israel, and disobeyed my orders.'"" (Al Quraan 20:94)

This is speaking about Moses and Aaron, who were also Muslims (submitters to God's will), and they had beards. This doesn't make it obligatory for all Muslim men to have beards, though, especially a so-called "Sunni beard" (or a "lihiya"). From my interpretation, it sounds like having a beard is a matter of personal choice, and the OBLIGATORY practice of it was invented by students of the sunna and ahadiyth. It's definately not against Quraanic principles to have a beard, though... I'd think the verse at 7:31 is speaking INDIRECTLY about the beard, since it mentions matters of cleanliness, neatness, and dressing nicely, especially when entering the masjid. This would include the beard - if a Muslim man keeps a beard, he would be required to keep it neat and trimmed to present a good and acceptable appearance, which is similar to the message of neatness emphasized in 22:29. This is completely contrary to the ahadiyth, which says that men are FORBIDDEN from shaving or even trimming their beards since, according to them, it alters the creation of God (even though they're instructed to trim their mustaches  crazyones). Outside of the hadiyth and sunna accounts, there is nowhere in the infallible Quraan of Allah, which is PERFECT and FULLY DETAILED, that says that Muslim men are REQUIRED to have beards, but it also doesn't say that they CAN'T have beards either, as long as they keep them neatly trimmed and groomed... I hope this helps...
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: