Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
April 20, 2024, 03:48:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Surah 38 (Sa'd) : Verses 21-26 - Test for Prophet Daud (David)

+-
Shoutbox
April 02, 2024, 07:27:22 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Details on Leila tul Qadr every Ramadan, links HERE.
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Surah 38 (Sa'd) : Verses 21-26 - Test for Prophet Daud (David)  (Read 3284 times)
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

Badges: (View All)
« on: April 06, 2008, 07:52:19 pm »

BismEm

Salaam Alaikum everyone

Concerning verses 38:21-26 of the Noble Quraan (I've quoted these verses at the end of my postl for immediate reference), I am trying to study if these verses about Prophet David were a reminder to him with reference to his mistake of demanding the wife of another man (probably Bathsheba, wife of Uriah) according to Biblical history.  Or, as interpreted by others, the verses could be a reminder and test concerning the importance of implementing justice between people.  The interpretation given by most Muslim writers is that Prophet David was too hasty with his judgment by saying that the man demanding the only sheep his brother possessed was being unjust.

On reading V.38:26, the reference being to Prophet David's test for dispensing justice might be possible but there's no clear evidence for that.  Also, it's possible that the verses are a hint on Prophet David's personal life but there's no direct evidence for that either.   

However, I do personally sense that Prophet David's judgment on being in favor of the man with one sheep was not unjust or wrong.  That way, he was showing his support for the weak and downtrodden against the strong and oppressive.  Therefor, it seems more likely to me that the verses refer to Prophet David's personal life.  But only Allah knows best.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated and helpful.

Verses 38:21-26 of the Noble Quraan (Surah Sa'd)  for reference:

(Surah 38 Sa'd is also spelled as "Saad")

"And has the story of the litigants come unto thee ? How they climbed the wall into the royal chamber; (38:21)

How they burst in upon David, and he was afraid of them. They said: Be not afraid! (We are) two litigants, one of whom has wronged the other, therefor judge aright between us; be not unjust; and show us the fair way. (38:22)

Indeed! this my brother has ninety and nine ewes while I had one ewe; and he said: Entrust it to me, and he conquered me in speech. (38:23)

(David) said: He has wronged you in demanding your ewe in addition to his ewes, and indeed! many partners oppress one another, save such as believe and do good works, and they are few. And David guessed that We had tried him, and he sought forgiveness of his Rab, and he bowed himself and fell down prostrate and repented. (38:24)

So We forgave him that; and indeed! and indeed, for him is nearness to Us and a happy journey's end. (38:25)

(And it was said unto him): O David! Indeed! We have set you as a viceroy in the earth; therefor judge aright between mankind, and follow not desire that it beguile you from the way of Allah.  Indeed! those who wander from the way of Allah have an awful doom, forasmuch as they forgot the Day of Reckoning."  (38:26)

The interpretation from a Muslim website is as follows:

"Prophet Dawood (AS) heard the complaint and at once he said that the man demanding the only sheep his brother possessed was being unjust. At that moment Prophet Dawood (AS) realized that this was a test of Allah and he regretted his hasty decision without demanding proof from the complainant and hearing both sides of the story. He realized that in his position as judge amongst the people, he could not make rash decisions and he turned to Allah, begging His forgiveness for this mistake."

The summary of the Biblical version on Prophet David taken from a Christian website is as follows:

"While the laws of the day declared that the King might take any woman, be she another man’s wife or not, as his own wife, they did not permit him to simply sleep with another man’s wife. That act would break one of God’s sacred commandments, given to Moses. But David, spoiled by his sudden elevation from country peasant to King of Israel, and his eye for beautiful women constantly roving, would break that commandment when he bedded Bathsheba, the wife of one of his loyal soldiers. David would compound that crime with another, deliberately causing the death of Bathsheba’s husband, Uriah, in an act of desperation. For these crimes, not only did David and Bathsheba suffer, but all of Israel would feel the lash of God’s retribution, for the reign of David’s line, which began in exile and bloodshed, would end in the same."

This interpretation of the Christian website is apparently taken from the Bible - 2 Samuel 11

An important related post:

-  Does the Quran refer to the story of David and "Bathsheba" ?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 08:13:16 pm »

This point is sure worth reflecting upon.  I think it is a hint on Prophet Dawood's former wives and yet he demanded another man's wife.  The Verses can be a reminder to Prophet Dawood to enable him to see his error clearly.  I think this was the test, apparently.   

Prophet Dawood's decision of being supportive of the man who had only one sheep does not seem unjust at all.  I wish those who accept this interpretation would explain how this becomes a wrong judgment.   
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 09:30:42 pm »

I too agree with you folks.  I had thought of these verses many times before.  Since I don't know much about the life to Prophet Daud and what all the Bible says except that he had many wives.  But Allah knows best.   I presumed that these verses of the Quraan are referring to some incident in Prophet Daud's (David) life but couldn't figure out what that might have been.  It's still difficult to say what exactly the verses are referring to, but it's very likely that the reference is to the women in David's life.  It seems to me that the verses are more metaphorical than literal.
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 10:54:05 pm »

Thanks folks for all your thoughtful replies.  In the meantime I had also sent this querry to Br. Shabir Ally, President of Islamic information Center.  He gave the following response I quote below.  It sounds very logical and balances.  Basically, it's much the same as I reflected on the basis of my own study and thoughts.  But Br. Shabir has expressed it much better than me. 

Quote ---

Assalaamu Alaykum Sr. Zainab,

I did not see your previous email. My apologies. I do not know what happened.

In the end we have to admit that we do not really know what detailed event the brief references of the Quran allude to. The Muslim commentators were careful not to attribute to the prophet David the actions noted of him in the Bible with regards to the wife of Uriah. Nor, as you say, is their surmise about the hastiness of David's judgment a convincing explanation. It seems to me that there may have been a core story that came to be exaggerated, as usually happens with rumours and scandals, and retold in the form that now appears in the Bible. The Quran does not subscribe to the full-blown story, but only alludes to the core truth of it to draw out a moral lesson. From the Quran it seems that David desired Bathsheba (not took her and committed adultery with her). Before he could act on that desire he was reprimanded by a message from God; and he repented.

Shabir

Unquote --

Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 04:51:35 am »

Brother Shabir Ally's interpretation sounds quite correct.  Most likely Prophet David (pbuh) wanted to take a wife who was already married and this test reminded him of his mistake.  So he realized it, grasped the guidance & lesson this test contained and refrained immediately. So the metaphor stands with the 99 ewes and one ewe.  It doesn't necessarily mean David had 99 wives.  It might merely allude that he had more than one wife while the other man had one wife.

Don't forget to read the related post:

Does the Quran refer to the story of David and "Bathsheba" ?

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 04:46:39 am »

Interesting and educational.  Thank you Sisters.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: