Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 29, 2024, 03:46:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

on sitting while praying

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: on sitting while praying  (Read 1691 times)
giga

Badges: (View All)
« on: April 08, 2008, 09:01:19 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

in the sitting part during praying, muslims recite "ettehiyatulilahivesselevatuvetayibat.." followed by "Allahumesalialeseyidinemuhammedinveale..." but I cannot find these anywhere in the Quran. Is this a later insertion into our prayers or am I mistaken and it is somewhere in the Quran?? Do you think  it is ok to do this in our salat? How do you pray or do the sitting part of the prayer?
I am so confused, wah!... ???
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 11:22:58 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

Salaam Alaikum giga.  Many thanks for your question.

Yes, you are right.  While sitting down during prayers, we Muslims recite At-Tahiyatu Lillahi which is known as Tashahud and then Allahumma Salli Ala Muhammadin which is known as Darud. 

Tashahud and Darud are not quotes from the Quraan.  However, these are words totally compatible with the values of the Quraan reaffirming our belief in Almighty Allah alone, testifying that Prophet Muhamamd is the last Messenger of Allah and supplications for the Prophet.  These constitute a very important part of the prayer.

After every two rakahs of prayer or salaat, you have to sit down and recite Tashahud i.e. At-Tahiyatu Lillahi.  If the prayer consists of just two rakahs like the Faji prayer, then after two rakahs you sit down, and recite both Tashahud and Darud.  But if the prayer consists of four or three rakahs like Asr or Maghrib prayers, then after the first two rakahs you sit and recite Tashahud only.  Then stand up and recite Surah Fatiha only.  Finish the remaining two rakahs or one rakah this way, by reciting Surah Fatiha.  Then sit down again and recite both Tashahud and Darud. 

If you have any further questions, please free to ask.  Also if you want to know the meanings of At-Tahiyyatu Lillahi and Allahumma Salli Ala Muhammadin, do let me know.  I'll post it here for you. 

Take care.  Allah Bless.
Report Spam   Logged

gigaagain

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 05:25:19 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

yeah but the thing I feel uncomfortable with is taking a source for religion outside the Quran. C I have finally come to terms with rejecting the Hadith but I didnt realise that we were using a dua from outside the Quran here. I know that the Quran didnt go into details of prayer and we learnt it from Muhammad pbuh. I guess my real question is then, what is the status of reciting tehiyatu while sitting. Is it obligatory in prayer? And by doing this, are we taking a source outside of the quran? Would greatly appreciate you're view.
Report Spam   Logged
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 09:19:37 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

yeah but the thing I feel uncomfortable with is taking a source for religion outside the Quran. C I have finally come to terms with rejecting the Hadith but I didnt realise that we were using a dua from outside the Quran here. I know that the Quran didnt go into details of prayer and we learnt it from Muhammad pbuh. I guess my real question is then, what is the status of reciting tehiyatu while sitting. Is it obligatory in prayer? And by doing this, are we taking a source outside of the quran? Would greatly appreciate you're view.

Dear giga, Salaams again Smiley  I truly appreciate your very sincere perception.  When I quit Hadith, I too thought on much the same lines.  On reflecting further I concluded some more points I hadn't thought of earlier.

First of all, the only physical gestures of salaat mentioned in the Noble Quraan are bowing (ruku) and prostrating (sajoud) before the Almighty Allah.  Most of the other physical gestures were demonstrated by the Prophet (pbuh) as he deemed right .. and in my opinion, as the messenger of Allah, the Prophet was entitled to use his discretion on such issues.  However, responding to your querry on recitation of at-tahiyat and darud being obligatory or not .. it might not be obligatory to recite it in those very words.  However, people over the generations have somehow adapted to these words because these words are totally compatible with Quraanic dictates.  This is what basically counts.  In prayers, reciting supplications outside the Quraan or in one's own words are not forbidden at all, as long as one's supplications are directed to Allah alone and as long as the words & meanings of our supplications conform with Quraanic guidelines. 

Now try to reflect upon this.  As I said, the only two obligatory gestures in salaat are bowing and prostrating.  In this regard, you would know that while bowing we say 'Allah-o-Akbar' (Allah is Great).  While standing up after bowing we say 'Sami-Allahu Liman Hamidah' (Allah hears those who praise Him).  Then while prostrating we say again 'Allah-o-Akbar' and when our forehead touches the prayer mat we say 'Subhana Rabbial Ala' (Glory of my Lord, the Highest).  All these words that we recite throughout the process of bowing and prostrating are not quotes from the Quraan in literal or theoretical terms, but as you can gauge, the meaning conveyed by these recitations are very much required by us as per the commandments of the Quraan.  Allah has told us in the Quraan to praise Him.  Allah has also said in the Quraan to shower blessings on the Prophet.  We can praise Allah by memorizing ayats and Surahs from the Quraan, or we can even construct our own praises for Him keeping in mind the values of the Quraan.  Similarly, we can also supplicate for the Prophet, just as we supplicate for our loved ones in our own words.  However, for salaat in general, only reciting supplications in our own words would be insufficient without recitations of the Surahs from the Quraan, which we always do.   

In this regard I would also like to state that there are some well read Muslims who consider that while offering our five salaats a day is absolutely obligatory, offering them specifically in Arabic alone is not necessary.  We can even recite the translations of the Surahs in our own languages because in the Quraan there are no rigid rules that prayers must be in Arabic only.  We simply need to make sure that the translations we read are well recognized and by reliable authors.  This was said in a lecture I attended some months ago given by the President of the Islamic Information Centre in the town I reside.  Personally, I agree with him.  The Noble Quraan does not emphasise upon language, race etc.  The reason why the Quraan was revealed in Arabic was because it was a Guidance for the people of the Arabian peninsula who understood only Arabic.  What's truly important without which salaat will not be accepted by Allah is the recognition of Almighty Allah as the Supreme and only Deity, and the sincerity & devotion from our hearts.

Therefore, by reciting At-Tahiyyat and Allahumma, we are not violating the Quraan by any stretch of my imagination.  Merely drafting a supplication in our own words which is totally compatible with the dictates of the Quraan cannot be called a "source outside the Quraan."  Allah has not forbidden us from communicating with Him in our own words and for a good purpose.

For clarification purposes, I'll mention the meanings of At-Tahiyattu and Allahumma Salli Allah in English so it might be easier for you to assess matters.  Also know that At Tahyyattu and Allahumma are not hadiths.  These are simply supplications or dua and totally different from following the hadith.

At-Tahyyatu
At-Tahiyyatu Lillahi  ----                       
Was Salawatu Wat Tayyibatu  ----         
As-Salamu Alaika Ayyuhannabiyyu ----     
Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Brakatuhu  ----
Assalamu Alaina  ----                             
Wa Ala Ibadillahis Salihin  ----                 
As Hadu Al Lailaha Illah Lahu ----             
Wa Ash Hadu Anna Muhammadan ----     
  Abduhu Wa Rasuluhu     

Translation:                                                        
All prayer is for Allah
and worship and goodness
Peace be on you, O Prophet
and the mercy of Allah and His blessings
Peace be on us
and on the righteous servants of Allah
I bear witness that there is no god but Allah
and bear witness that Muhammad is His
servant and messenger

Allahumma
Allahumma Salli Ala Muhammadin ----
Wa Ala Ali Muhammadin  ----
Kama Sallaita Ala Ibrahima  ----
Wa Ala Ali Ibrahima  ----
Innaka Hamidum Majid  ----

Allahumma Barik Ala  ----
Muhammadin Wa Ala  ----
Ali Muhammadin  ----
Kama Barakta Ala Ibrahima  ----
Wa Ala Ali Ibrahima  ----
Innaka Hamidum Majid  ----

Translation
O Allah, let Your blessings come upon Muhammad
and the family of Muhammad
as You blessed Ibrahim and his family
truly You are the Praiseworthy and Glorious

O Allah, bless Muhamamd and the family of Muhammad
as You blessed Ibrahim and his family
truly You are the Praiseworthy and Glorious

If you are still confused .. don't feel hesitant to ask more.  Unless we don't ask, we can't learn Smiley 

I am also giving you the link of one of our posts titled Hadith and Salaah.  Do check this thread.  I'm sure it will be helpful.  Also try to go through our Quraan, Islamic Issues and Hadith boards.  You'll find a variety of informative topics.  Again, feel free to ask or comment on any of them.

It was very nice talking to you.  Wa'Salaam and Allah Bless.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 09:46:27 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hmmmm, u r right sister Zeynab.  
Report Spam   Logged

giga

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 12:29:37 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

First of all thanx 4 the prompt replies, I do really appreciate it.
I mostly agree with what you have said, and I have previously covered all the relevant boards on this forum. I found them to be truelly insightfu and inline with what I believe mostly.
The only place I differ with you from you're above statements is in the recital of the Quran in Arabic IF able to. I am of the opinion that a person should learn to recite the Quran in the Arabic asap but in the meantime he/she can pray in whatever language they choose.
The reason for my opinion is a Hadith as follows:
Abu Hureirah narrates: I love cats and hate dogs, killem all! Especially the black ones!!! Oh how I loathe the black ones...<just kidding! Lol>
But seriously the reason I think we should recite in Arabic if able is since the Quran is literally the word of God and that some of the greater/ higher meanings may be lost in translation. Perhaps there is great meaning beyond the literal one that cant be percieved, perhaps some of the Divine Glory will be lost in translation also. I am of the belief that we should beautify our prayer as much as possible by being concious of our movements, what we are saying, how we are reciting, what we are feeling etc so as to Glorify God as much as possible and so that our prayers may be sincere and accepted.
Report Spam   Logged
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 03:22:23 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

Salaams giga.  I admire your insight.  I couldn't agree more with everything you've mentioned.

Actually when I said about praying in one's own language with translations of the Surah, I meant much what you've said .. to offer salaat in one's own langauge till they are able to pick some Arabic.  My apology for that omission.  I agree with you 110% that the Quraan in Arabic which is the original word of Almighty God has an unprecedented beauty that not even the best translations can match.  Also, it's very important to choose a reliable translator as some translations are quite misconstrued.  But Alhamdulilah, we have the advantage that the original is always there for reference which will always remain unchanged.  The reason I paraphrased the opinion of the head of the Islamic Info Center who said that offering salaat in one's own language is not unacceptable was because most of the traditional imams make it too rigid for non-Arabic speaking people by imposing their own compulsions.  Most of them say that prayers aren't accepted in any other language but Arabic.  Hence, what happens is .. some people who find it too hard to memorize the original Surahs quit praying altogether.  And those who are able to memorize some Surahs, learn them by heart without understanding a word of what they recite.  For such ones, salaat becomes a sort of ritual that has no bearing on their ethics, principles and values.  This is again pointless because the purpose of salaat in not simply to fulfil a ritual.  It goes much beyond that.  Salaat must constitute true devotion to Allah, and with the help of our salaat we must be able to develop our conscience and thus improve ourselves, spiritually and practically.  Allah says in the Quraan that " Lo worship preserves from lewdness and inquity but verily remembrance of Allah is more important."  In Surah Al-Maoon, Allah says "Woe unto worshippers who are heedless of their prayer who would be seen at worship yet refuse small kindnesses."  There are more other such verses in the Noble Quraan that clearly point at a person's sincere intentions and devotion as the essence of righteousness.  It goes without saying that salaat must accompany sincerity and devotion.  But unfortunately with the majority of Muslims today this isn't true  because, at the behest of their imams these people simply memorize a few Surahs without even bothering to check what those beautiful words mean, and they think that they've fulfiled their duty.  So .. keeping in mind that out of the 1.5 billion Muslims around the world, only 20% speak Arabic as their first language, we have to make the rules on language a bit more flexible otherwise the real purpose of salaat will be lost.

And ah!  as for Abu Huraira (lol) .. I look upon him as nothing but a quack and a liar.  The sort of obnoxious stuff he had narrated .. if those were truly his words, it makes me wonder, didn't that man have any fear of Allah in his heart?

Thanks again for coming by, giga.  InshAllah, hope to see more of you.  Also, please feel free to register and join our forum Smiley

May Allah Almighty bless you for your wisdom and insight.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 09:35:10 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

MaashAllah -- great discussion.  join the board giga.  I'm sure you'll have a lot to write and that'll give us a lot more to read  teethsmile
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  

+ Quick Reply
With a Quick-Reply you can use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post, but much more conveniently.
BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough|GlowShadowMarquee|Preformatted TextLeft AlignCenteredRight Align|Horizontal Rule|Font SizeFont Face
Insert FlashInsert ImageInsert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert FTP Link|Insert TableInsert Table RowInsert Table Column|SuperscriptSubscriptTeletype|Insert CodeInsert Quote|Insert List
Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry angel Jumping laugh police CatSmiley Sleep smkng sport gdbi cryin dancin simpsons RollLaugh HysLaugh HappyBirthday doggy monkey teddybear sittingbunny BismEm salamem offtem proem oopsem bedtem crybem seeyem thebesem backem soryemt weldem Thumbsup Thumbsdwn rdht teethsmile tonguesmile wsalam tesetong Beatin crazyones LaaughingAway shiiit claaap viictery hiyaaa