Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 29, 2024, 02:40:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Understanding the Arabic Language does not Mean One Understands the Qur'an

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Understanding the Arabic Language does not Mean One Understands the Qur'an  (Read 468 times)
AceOfHearts

Badges: (View All)
« on: April 12, 2008, 07:31:52 pm »

Understanding the Arabic Language does not Mean One Understands the Qur'an

The majority of the people assume that if one understands the Arabic language, it means he is capable of understanding the Qur'an. They are also quick to dismiss anyone who has a point to make about the Qur'an's verses, if they are not an Arab or do not speak Arabic. A consistent feature of these sorts of people is that they themselves know little about the Qur'an because they never attempt to research the Qur'an directly. This is because of an intentionally induced inferiority complex of not knowing Arabic which gives them the excuses they need to stay distant from the Qur'an, as well as due to some other vain excuses. They never attempt to understand the verses of the Qur'an themselves. All of their views on the Qur'an are formed entirely by following other people and texts written by those whose trust they assume. They have only read the Qur'an's verses in text books in the context created by their trusted writers, or otherwise read the Arabic verses in ritualistic recitation, or in prayer without understanding them. Sometimes, he feels he has done enough by reading the translation of the few verses he recites frequently in prayer.

As stated above, their excuse is that the Qur’an is not their language and only an Arab or an Arabic speaker can understand the Verses. The truth is however far from their mistaken beliefs. A believer can understand the Qur'an and live by it even while possessing little or no Arabic knowledge.

History is witness to many people who are proficient in the Arabic language, yet made very twisted and perverted interpretations of the Qur'an, all while they are accepted to be well skilled by the majority. The majority being the group we have identified above. These interpreters of the Qur'an consider themselves Muslims, yet made countless erroneous interpretations - even while knowing Arabic. This begs the question, does knowing Arabic mean one can understand the Qur’an? The disbelievers of Mekkah were expert in the language of the Qur'an, but they did not understand the Qur'an. They rejected it as being words of a madman.

What one needs to comprehend is that understanding the Qur'an means to understand correctly what is being told in the Verses, the concepts, lessons, signs and admonitions. When one does not understand the Qur'an, that is, makes erroneous interpretations, he is incapable of understanding these lessons, admonitions and true purposes of the Verses. One may even be in possession of great Arabic skills, yet be incapable of understanding the Verses due to his or her lack of comprehension of what is being told in the verses. We can compare this with the following scenario. Imagine you are explaining a concept to someone in perfect English. The person you are explaining to also can understand English perfectly. However, due to a lack of comprehension on their part, that person fails to understand what you are explaining to them despite your perfect explanations in English and their ability to understand the language. Likewise, the same can be said about the Qur'an. Even a an expert Arabic speaker may well be incapable of understanding and interpreting the Verses correctly as a direct result of that missing comprehension. This comprehension is given by Allah to whichever of His servants He pleases. One may be very intelligent but can lack this God-given ability to understand the Qur'an.

The comprehension mentioned above is actually a gift from Allah to His sincere believers only. A believer who does not know Arabic may be endowed with this ability to understand the Qur'an. When the verses of the Qur'an are explained to him by another true believer in his language, he grasps them correctly, even though he does not know Arabic. And it is probable that a person fluent in Qur'anic Arabic could not understand the same Verses correctly even in his own language. Skill in the Arabic language did not afford him the true interpretations of Allah’s Verses, and so he remained bereft of Allah’s guidance. Another person who is a more sincere believer could understand the Verses, even though he did not speak the language of the Qur'an.

That is why a true believer can live by the Qur'an without knowing Arabic. It is true that a non-Arabic speaking believer will need to overcome the obstacle of language, but with his sincerity and motivation, he overcomes them without difficulty. Today, there are many translations of the Qur'an available in almost any language. It is possible to draw a fairly accurate understanding of the Qur'an by studying different translations.

Translations however, are not the actual Qur'an and can be erroneous in translating certain words and expressions. Again, with the sincerity and enthusiasm to find the truth, the believer can undertake the research to find a word or expression's real meaning in the Qur'an. For example, when he encounters a certain word in the translation which seems unfitting with the Qur’an’s overall message, he looks into other Verses of the Qur’an where the same Arabic word has been used in order to see how the word has been used elsewhere the Qur’an. He may look into other translations and dictionaries to see what the alternative meanings are. He may seek advice of another sincere follower of Allah’s Book who is more learned in the language and the Qur’an.

In conclusion, people who speak Arabic do not automatically posses the comprehension to understand the meanings of the verses of the Qur’an. The comprehension is given by Allah to whom He wills regardless of ones language. All people who consider themselves Muslim must not hide behind excuses from gaining a first-hand understanding of the Book revealed by Allah, which is a guide, mercy and cure for them if they only make the effort to understand it themselves.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 11:35:54 pm »

Dear brother, your devotedly dedicated writings are such a breath of fresh and fragranced air.  They are a pleasant change from the shallow ideas and superficial babblings of relatives and friends we come across in our daily lives Smiley   I honestly mean that ..

You are absolutely right.  Merely learning Arabic will not make a person well-versed in the Quraan.

Allah has made it clear that only those who have humbled their hearts and surrendered themselves to His Will with love and devotion will be given the privilege to grasp the meanings of the Quraan.  Unfortunately there are very few who come into this category.  Majority who read the Quraan can be grouped in either one of the following three segments.

(1) Arrogant disbelievers with a challenging attitude toward Allah.

(2) Those who call themselves believers but are actually interested in showing their authority and controlling the masses.  Thus their undertanding of the Quraan is incorrect, because their motive is to somehow reconcile the Quraan with the Hadith and fatwas.  They cannot accept the Quraan by itself.

(3) The ignorant mainstream who simply learn to read the Arabic script without understanding a single word and depending entirely on their imams for all guidelines of life. Many such ones even consider it a violation to read and follow the Quraan on their own. 

Therefor, as for the above three categories, whether or not they know the Arabic language, their perception and insight will never brighten enough to acquire the guidance needed to understand the Quraan. 

Furthermore, the Noble Quraan is a Book with great depths.  For this reason, understanding only the literal or direct meanings or translations (even if the translation is  correct) isn't enough.  We are required to reflect carefully, using our rational and conscientious minds at the hidden wonders of Allah that almost every ayat contains.  It is also important to be acquainted with the historical, social, policital and economic conditions of the 7th century and the eras prior to that.

I recall once getting caught up in an online forum where a few Arabic speaking brothers and sisters began bragging so much about their knowledge of conversational Arabic that it virtually felt that they considered the Quraan to be their sole monopoly.  Feeling quite upset, I posted a rejoinder to which, much to my surprise, they never responded.  I also posted that same piece here for the information of our readers titled
Is knowledge of Arabic essential for the study of Islam?

Yes .. the disbelievers of Mekkah were also fluent in Arabic yet they disrespected and misunderstood the Quraan.  At present, there are approximately 15 million Arab Christians living in the Middle-East, all of whom speak Arabic fluently as their first language like the Arab Muslims.  Yet, you'll hardly find any Arab Christian who has been able to grasp the meaning of the Quraan correctly.

"Imagine you are explaining a concept to someone in perfect English. The person you are explaining to also can understand English perfectly. However, due to a lack of comprehension on their part, that person fails to understand what you are explaining to them despite your perfect explanations in English and their ability to understand the language. Likewise, the same can be said about the Qur'an. Even a an expert Arabic speaker may well be incapable of understanding and interpreting the Verses correctly as a direct result of that missing comprehension. This comprehension is given by Allah to whichever of His servants He pleases. One may be very intelligent but can lack this God-given ability to understand the Qur'an."

MaashAllah brother, this is a great analogy.  People have arguments and misunderstandings even with close family members and friends despite speaking the same language.  Sometimes this lack of underdstanding can arise because of a "missing comprehension" as you stated.  In other cases it can be intentional, with a particular motive.  Many readers of the Quraan who know Arabic have either one of the two above mentioned problems, sometimes both. 

"Again, with the sincerity and enthusiasm to find the truth, the believer can undertake the research to find a word or expression's real meaning in the Qur'an.  ...... "[/font][/size]

Absolutely brother.  Where there's a will, there's a way.  Even if one doesn't know Arabic, but if one has that burning desire within one's heart to understand and obey the words of Allah, there are various ways in which one can carry out one's research.  Besides, it's in situations like these that one feels the need to use one's rationality, a very important requirement for the correct understanding of the Quraan.  It's necessary to keep in mind that the immense wisdom of the Noble Quraan puts a lot of emphasis on rational thoughts and behaviour.     

Here's a big problem with many people.  Since they look at life through a narrow prism, they think of Allah in a similar manner.  They do not pay their respects to Allah by looking upon Him as the symbol of Perfection which is His rightful quality.  Thus, since they are themselves partisans, their ignorance and ego makes them think the same way about Allah.  The mental state of many such persons is truly pathetic.  Ridiculous as it may sound, once a non-Arab Muslim mentioned to me that a friend of hers well-versed in spoken and written Arabic often hinted that Arabic speaking people will be granted a better portion of Jannah.  Not just that, I've heard the well known revert, Br. Steve Rockwell, who was the student of the late Sheik Ahmed Deedat say that on the Day of Judgment all questions will be asked by Allah in Arabic.  Such talks leave my head spinning.  I would add that by reading the works of the late Sh. Deedat, I gather that he was a well-guided, rational and very pious man.  That was primarliy because he was self-educated who never went to those expensive Islamic universities and wasn't interested in hanging diplomas & certificates in his study.  He didn't teach those bizarre stuff to his student.  The student himself went berserk after getting influenced by the local imams. 

As you explained so correctly .. at the end of the day what counts in the Sight of Allah is "sincerity and motivation."  It's these qualities that make a person worthy of guidance, and their absense make them unworthy of understanding the Book of Allah.  This is the Will of Allah which no one can change. 

An absolutely a superb article!  Thank you my brother.  May Allah never discontinue giving us the wealth of wisdom and knowledge through the Great Quraan, InshAllah.
Report Spam   Logged

AceOfHearts

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 07:08:32 pm »

Peace sister Zeynab,

I hope you are well....you're post was deffinately 'a breath of fresh air for me' too....trust me on this siister. Your encouragement was truly beneficial.

I posted the same thing on another forum. The response is totally on the other side of the spectrum. If you want to see, check it out here:

http://www.easy-talk.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4102

btw, the 3 reasons you gave there are absolutely spot-on sister.

All praise be to Allah for guiding us, and showing us the path illuminated by His Book.

Ameen to the dua.

Report Spam   Logged
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 11:59:07 pm »

Thanks for this link brother.  I read the whole of it.  Truly pathetic.  This mindset has become so common that it leaves me despondent and with a heavy heart.  These people aren't only unable to perceive correctly, but their misperception is accompanied with a combative spirit and so much of aggression that it paints a very grim picture of the future of this Ummah.  Most of these ones come into categories 2 or 3.  You will also observe, that in such forums if someone belonging to category (1) is raising anti-Quran slogans, categories 2 and 3 will support category (1), giving them preference over the truth we post.  I've experienced this myself at some forums.  No matter in which direction a person gets misguided, at the end of the day, the misguided ones can communicate a lot  better with each other than with the guided ones.

I've now given up having long debates with such people.  After doing that for some years, I've realised that the zealotry of the days of ignorance is still deeply embedded in their hearts.  However, that shouldn't make us withdraw altogether, in that, we shouldn't refrain from telling them the truth.  I'm glad you posted this piece there.  Nowadays, in such forums, I simply post and disappear.  After that, let them howl as much as they like.  The fact that they've read the truth does haunt their hearts and minds.  That's the basic reason they get so aggressive.

I signed in for an a/c there.  Activation is pending.  When my a/c is activated, InshAllah I'll copy & paste my reply there as well. 

May Allah bless you, dear brother.  Please continue with your very good work.

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

AceOfHearts

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 12:43:39 pm »

Assalamu alaikum sister,

Thank you very much sister for signing up there. You're support any where is the strongest support...The way you feel is exactly the same way I feel about the whole issue. People are just leading a life, blind and devoid of real guidance. If you post your response there, we must be prepared to read more frustrated and angry responses. You know the funny thing is I never attacked Hadith, but I just challanged a mindset of remaining ignorant about the Qur'an, thats all. All I said was people should read and study the Qur'an regardless of language. Its not about Hadith even, the preceived attack is on scholars and going against their supreme authority and right to interpret the Qur'an, and no one else. Basically, what I was stating in my article is that all people have the right to read and understand the Qur'an, but they want only scholars to do that.

The forum is actually run by a some people at a nearby Mosue in London which is about 2 miles away from me. I go to that mosque, but dont know the members who run the forum or posters personally. As you can see the difference in the mentality between me and them is huge.

Generally on the net, I also have been using the same technique of posting an article and letting them do whatever they want. And you're right, they feel frustrated because they have read the truth, and as we know from the Qur'an, truth cuts through falsehood and falsehood is bound to perish. And again as you say, the fact that they have read the truth is enough, let them do whatever they want after that. Also, there would most probably be lots of other people who read and agree or tacitly agree and dont ever reply because they dont want to become an outcast. Not to forget people who just read the forums and never post anyway.

Thank you for your encouragement and prayer, and I pray likewise for you sister. May Allah continue to give you spiritual strength and good health for the rest of your life.

peace.   
Report Spam   Logged
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 05:33:35 pm »

Walaikum Salaam dear brother.  You're right on with every bit of your opinion.  And yeah!  personally I've been aware all along there are several people who agree with me in the numerous forums I've participated.  Neck and neck with angry words, I've also received many complimentary words of support thru personal messages in many forums.  It takes these wiser ones little time to realise that I've got a perfectly straight spiritual perception (Alhamdulilah) i.e. I'm totally supportive of the Noble Quraan and the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh);  I'm only against the selfish & tainted speeches of the clergy starting with the Hadith writers.  This is exactly the way one's spiritual concept should be.  I have no doubt about that.  Frankly, these secret messages of support passed thru under the table dampen my spirit rather than elevating it.  I often find it odd to see those same secret admirers completely silent on the public board.  It only shows how stiffled most of us are.  I guess, the fear of being singled out as the 'odd one' is another problem which even the sensible ones among us face.  Anyhow, it's comforting to know that Divine Justice is flawless, and thus each one of us are answerable only for our own deeds. 

Btw .. I haven't yet received an a/c activation alert from that forum.  Probably the admin doesn't login that regularly.  But as soon as I get that notification, InshAllah I'll post my bit.

Thanks again for everything brother. 
Report Spam   Logged

AceOfHearts

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 07:47:53 pm »

"Anyhow, it's comforting to know that Divine Justice is flawless, and thus each one of us are answerable only for our own deeds."

It most certainly is Sr. Zeynab. That is where people who are disbelievers or the ignorant people who do not grasp true faith fall into despair with the trouble they see and face in this world. The record is set straight on that day. Any imbalance in this world, no matter in what form, be it injustice, oppression or conflict in views, its all set aright on that Day. A big Day awaits people, but we inshAllah only have it to look forward to if our Lord indeed continues to guide us on the right path till our ends, and forgives our shortcommings as he has promised to do for the truly sincere believers.

That reminds me of a Verse where Allah says

"Save him who repenteth and believeth and doth righteous work; as for such, Allah will change their evil deeds to good deeds. Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful." (Qur'an 25:70)

It is indeed such a mercy of our Maker that He should notice our sincerity and change the minor wrong that we may have done, our shortcommings into good. We have no protector other than Him in this world or the next. May Allah keep us in true devotion to Him and never let us deviate in any way. And may He continue to show us more of the Glorious Qur'an...what an endless Book of wisdom it is.

The fact that we are answerable to only our own deeds as you point out, is deffinatelty a very comforting fact to know. I cant remember the reference of the Verse, but Allah tells us in a particular verse, something implying that it does not matter if all else goes astray, what matters is our own guidance.

peace be to you sister. 

Report Spam   Logged
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 01:36:49 am »

"Save him who repenteth and believeth and doth righteous work; as for such, Allah will change their evil deeds to good deeds. Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful." (Qur'an 25:70)

This is an amazing Verse.  Allah's generosity in granting mercy and forgiveness is truly boundless.  When I see people around me, watch tv and read the newspapers, I'm appalled at the cruel, jealous and vindictive approach we humans have toward each other and also the sort of cruelties humans inflict upon animals.  But just look at Allah's limitless supply of love and compassion toward us.  It never comes to an end.  And instead of appreciating it, most of us behave bratty and spoilt.  Allah has revealed a verse which says that if mankind possessed the "treasures of the mercy" of Allah, they "would surely hold it back for fear of spending for man was ever grudging."   I don't recall this Surah at the moment though I do have it written.  It's just so true and so beautifully expressed. 

Yes brother, the Glorious Quraan is indeed "an endless Book of wisdom."  That's a very correct expression for the Quraan.  You will observe (as I have too), that although we are regular readers of the Quraan since long, yet as we continue reading it, we keep learning something new pertaining to the truth we never knew before from the depth of every ayat.  And this is a continuous, ongoing process for a real believer whom Allah has favored with the gift of guidance.  It surely makes the Great Quraan the most endless Book of wisdom.  A believer with real guidance will never stop acquiring wisdom from the Quraan.

"I cant remember the reference of the Verse, but Allah tells us in a particular verse, something implying that it does not matter if all else goes astray, what matters is our own guidance."

Exactly .. the Quraan has clearly highlighted this aspect that what matters is our own intent and guidance, and our guidance will only benefit us, not others.  Thus every soul is responsible for its own self only.  The following are two verses that that come to my mind.  There are many more. 

And no burdened soul can bear another's burden, and if one heavy laden crieth for (help with) his load, naught of it will be lifted even though he (unto whom he crieth) be of kin. Thou warnest only those who fear their Lord in secret, and have established worship. He who groweth (in goodness), groweth only for himself, (he cannot by his merit redeem others). Unto Allah is the journeying. (35:18 Surah Al-Malaikah)

Proofs have come unto you from your Lord, so whoso seeth, it is for his own good, and whoso is blind is blind to his own hurt. And I am not a keeper over you.  (6:104 Surah Al-Anam)

"The record is set straight on that day. Any imbalance in this world, no matter in what form, be it injustice, oppression or conflict in views, its all set aright on that Day."

There's absolutely no doubt about this. 

This day is each soul requited that which it hath earned; no wrong (is done) this day. Lo! Allah is swift at reckoning.  (40:17 Surah Al-Mumin)

It's such a healing for the heart and mind.  Alhamdulilah. 

It's mind boggling how so many people are able to go about with their lives being so unaware of this ultimate Truth.  Each day that's wasted in ignorance is a huge loss.  How unfortunate they are. 

Salaams and peace dear brother.
Report Spam   Logged

AceOfHearts

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 07:37:24 pm »

Peace be to you sister Zeynab,

Just wanted to say how wonderful it is to be able to talk about Allah's greatness and mercy with someone. People come up empty handed when I initiate such a discussion. Its such a pitty how even so called-religious people fail to be excited by what are real discussions about Islam.

It is because Allah has shown you the light of the Qur'an and His true greatness through His Book that you feel passionate about discussions about Allah. True believers are those who fully grasp the existence of Allah and His attributes the way Allah describes to us through the Qur'an. Majority of the people's negligence of the Qur'an means they will never gain a deep understanding of Allah. A real understanding of Allah is there only when there is a fundamental change in ones personality and outlook to the world.

May Allah continue to guide you dear sister,

peace.
Report Spam   Logged
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 01:51:48 am »

A real understanding of Allah is there only when there is a fundamental change in ones personality and outlook to the world.

peace.

Very correct brother.  Genuine guidance and understanding of Allah brightens one's mind in such a way that a distinct change in one's personality & outlook is inevitable.  Also, this change is often misconstrued by others who are on a different track.  It often puts the majority on a collision course with us that could sometimes lead to a feeling of isolation.  But that's a very small and temporary price to pay for a gift as beautiful as guidance.

May Allah bless you always, ameen.   Salaam Alaikum / peace.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: