Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
April 19, 2024, 04:46:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Reading the Qur'an and Practicing Something Else

+-
Shoutbox
April 02, 2024, 07:27:22 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Details on Leila tul Qadr every Ramadan, links HERE.
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Reading the Qur'an and Practicing Something Else  (Read 392 times)
AceOfHearts

Badges: (View All)
« on: May 04, 2008, 03:26:11 pm »

Reading the Qur'an and Practicing Something Else

There is a prevalent culture among Muslims where they only view the Qur'an as a way of gaining reward for reciting out loud the Arabic letters correctly. Such people think that they hold the Qur'an in high esteem, but this only keeps them away from studying the Qur'an as they should. Parents teach their children how to pronounce the Arabic words and send their children to evening schools to learn to recite the Qur'an correctly. Such people do not deny the importance of the Qur'an, but their idea of the role of the Qur'an is extremely mistaken and shallow. It is merely to either gain reward for each letter recited or to validate Salah by reciting some short chapters. Members of this majority group may even enjoy listening to recitations of the Qur'an, not because of the message in the Verses, but to appreciate the melody, or for relaxation purposes!

What Islam is, is merely everything else they hear outside of the Qur'an. Such people consider themselves highly religious, while they hold such an ignorant approach to the Qur'an. They recite the Qur'an frequently, but the recitation does not have any bearing on them. Then, they take all their religious guidance from outside the Qur'an - they think those practices amount to fulfilling their duty to the Qur'an. Many of such ignorant people's practices are even against what the Qur'an has to say, while they are not aware of it - or are aware of it but deliberately ignore thinking about it, laying excuses such as 'I am not knowledgeable enough' or 'I am a laymen'.

The real purpose of the Qur'an is to give guidance to the individual human being who has been created to worship Allah. The Qur'an's guidance is in its meanings, not in the pronunciations of its Arabic letters. The guidance of the Qur'an is a mercy, cure and light for the true believers as it reveals many unknown secrets such as Allah's power, reasons to happening of events around us, and the true nature of Allah's religion. But this majority have been bereft from this blessing, all while they are deceived into thinking they are following religion perfectly as they are fulfilling their idea of what the purpose of the Qur'an is.

"We have sent down to you a Book containing your message. Do you not understand?" (Qur’an 21:10)

Thinking one is fulfilling their obligations toward the Qur'an by simply carrying out rituals such as prayer and fasting, without making the effort to find out what the Qur'an actually says about religion is a great deception. This is because the Qur'an is a Book to reflect upon, to learn from and to gain the necessary insight and wisdom it gives to be a real believer, this is a duty upon anyone who wants to be a Muslim. One cannot possibly be a true Muslim without having necessary knowledge and understanding of the Qur'an.  If one only learns about the Qur’an from books written about the Qur’an, written by people, and does not feel the necessity to learn from the Qur’an directly himself, he is only deceiving himself. Allah mentions this ignorant approach in the words, “Or do you have another Book which you study?” (Qur’an 68:39)

Let us ask ourselves: how much do we know about the Qur'an? Not superficial knowledge like the number of chapters or Verses, or which city a chapter was revealed in, but the message in its Verses and their many intricacies and secrets. How much wisdom have you gained from the Qur'an? How many times a day do you refer to the Verses of the Qur'an as you lead your day to day life? 

“The words of your Lord are complete in its truth and justice. Nothing can change His Words – He is the All-Hearing, the All-Knowing. If you obeyed most of those on earth, they would lead you away from the path of God. They follow nothing but speculation – they are merely guessing.” (Qur’an 6:115-116)

Being heedless of the Qur'an will lead to losses in this life and the Hereafter as Allah will call all people into account their adherence to the Qur'an.

“Surely, the One who decreed the Qur’an to you will summon you to a predetermined appointment. Say: "My Lord is fully aware of who it is that brings the guidance, and who has gone astray." (Qur’an 28:85)

As stated in the Verse, all people are responsible for adhering to the way of life decreed by Allah in the Qur'an. Without direct knowledge of the Verses, practicing alleged claims about the Qur'an may not have any value in the sight of Allah.

Many people who do not have any Qur’anic insight or and wisdom spread claims about the Qur'an's Verses which is a far cry from the Verses true meanings. They may get away with it if their audience have also been conditioned to simply follow 'sayings' about the Qur'an, rather than the Qur'an.

It is only when one opens his eyes and begins to comprehend the Verses of Allah, can he begin to follow the Book of Allah and hope to become a true Muslim.

"...Indeed there has come to you from Allah a Light and a Clear Book. With it Allah guides whoever who follows His good pleasure to the ways of peace and brings them out from the darkness into the light by His permission: He guides them onto a straight way" (Qur'an 5:15-16)

That is why all Muslims must consider their position in religion in relation to the Qur'an. Reciting the Qur'an without a sincere effort to understand the Verses directly will not enlighten the human soul.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 01:04:31 am »

Dear brother Ace, I love this article you've penned.  If I was told to re-write it, I wouldn't change anything about it.  I would only include the course of one more aspect, as I see it.

You've explained very beautifully and comprehensively that understanding the meanings of Quranic verses is of utmost importance for without that we cannot follow the commandments of Allah.  The aspect I would want to add is the vital step for the preservation of the Quran, without which we might be deprived of this great benefit altogether, just like the Jews and Christians deprived themselves of the similar gifts that Allah had bestowed on them aforetime.

Recitations in Arabic without learning the meaning is incomplete as Allah says in Surah Al-Maoon "Woe unto those who are heedless of their prayers .."  We cannot possibly implement the ethics of our salaat into our practical lives if we don't follow what we are reciting.  But recitation of the Quran with correct pronounciations (or learning to do so) is  also a great goal, provided we make it a rule to understand the meanings of each of those correct recitations.  Translation by itself, in the absense of the original can convey many misunderstandings.  Other than the unique eloquence and beauty of the Divine original -which though recited by an unlettered Messenger has today become a Book of reference for Arabic grammarians - it is the existence of the original that has uptil today (and will always in future) helped to keep this great Book original and unaltered.  The Jews and Christians lost the original, and that's how the Old and New Testaments began getting messed up with man-written stories.  In the absense of the original, there's no evidence to prove the unauthenticity of man-written works.  As one of the ways of preserving the Noble Quran, Allah has made this remarkable Book easy to commit to memory, an aspect He also states in the Quran by saying "We have made the Quran easy to remember ..."  This surely refers to reciting the original; and while doing this, its meanings must be learnt.   Therefore, the ideal approach while memorizing the Quran is to simultaneously study the Quranic Arabic as well (or at least the translations) so that recitation and the understanding of it go hand in hand.   Correct recitation and memorization of the Quran (even if it's without much knowledge of Arabic) also serves the most important purpose, that is, preservation of the Quran.  With each Hafiz who memorizes the Quran, there is one more person posing an obstacle for the enemies of Allah who either want to destroy or alter the Noble Quran.  Such people are lurking all around us, both among non-Muslims and inadvertently among so-called Muslims as well.  Just a couple of years after 9/11, there was a group of middle-eastern Christians based in Kuwait who started circulating a "new Quran" with 70 or so chapters by altering the original.  I have heard that there is also the Ismaili community that claimed to have their "own Quran."  Also many so-called Muslim groups like Khalifites, Free Minders, staunch Hadithers and fatwa seekers, if left to themselves without the correct preservation of the original Arabic would have by now done the same thing with the Quran as the Jews and Christians did with their Books.  However, all such people have made absolutely no headway with their manipulations or intended manipulations .... and now they've given up all hopes to ever do so.  That's because the words of the original are too well embedded in the hearts and minds of people that happens through recitation and commiting to memory.  Praise be to Allah.  Allah has stated in the Quran that this Book is on a "guarded tablet."  It is always easy for Allah for find a way to protect and preserve this great Treasure for the benefit of believers, those whom He desires to guide.  Though I greatly depend upon the translations myself, yet I cannot even think of minimizing the importance of memorizing and reciting the original.  That would mean inviting a big disaster gradually, in times ahead.  Allah Forbid, if ever, even parts of the original Quran were forgotten because Muslims didn't take care of preserve them by memorization & recitation, just imagine what would happen?  Many of that rubbish we find in Hadith would have infiltrated into the Quran (nauzbillah), and thus the history of Divine Scriptures would have repeated itself yet again.  Memorizing the Quran from cover to cover locks it up against human interpolations.  And memorization is not possible without recitation.

The fact that some people emphasise too much on recitations & pronounciations without paying heed to the meanings, or vice-versa when some just read translations without paying heed to original are both incomplete methods of learning the Quran.  Instead, both these aspects i.e. correct recitation plus the meanings must be balanced into a single important package and goal.

A dignified and melodious recitation of the Quran is very soothing to the heart and mind.  If you understand the recitation, it can be absolutely exhilarating.  Even if you don't, the fact that you are aware that recitation contains purely Divine words creates a condition inside of you that feels very different from hearing just anything else.  Of course, I'm referring to the hearts and minds of believers.  As for disbelievers whom Allah has denied guidance, they won't be moved even if they understand every word of the recitation.  In many Muslim countries it's quite usual for people to relax outside their homes in warm summer evenings to get some fresh air.  In the still of the night when they often recite verses of the Noble Quran in subdued and gentle voices, it fills the atmosphere with an element of peace and pleasure for all listeners.  It sounds sweeter than the sweetest of music, and carries you away to another world.   It's more powerful than a 100 anti-depressant pills in elevating the spirit of a believer.

Finally I would mention a point that is seldom discussed but it's true.   As we know from the direct words of the Quran, Jinns are a species made of smokeless fire who also inhibit this earth.  For this reason, there are humans who unexpectedly witness paranormal activities, indoor or outdoor, because of the presence of Jinns.  While some maybe harmless, some such spirits trouble humans in various ways.  At such times, reciting verses of the original Quran works like a silver bullet, literally.  Even in normal surroundings, regular recitation of the original promotes and provides security, and cleases the atmosphere.  This is of course my personal experience. 

My purpose of defining all of the above details is only to clarify that recitation of the Quran (even by those who don't understand much of the meanings) has its own separate line of importance (viz. preservation of the Quran) which must also be given priority for the reasons already stated and not ignored.  Please don't misunderstand me.  I am not saying that you are ignoring the original.  I'm simply saying that becoming slack about the task of recitations can gradually, over the period of several generations, lead to forgetfulness of the original or parts of the original - Allah Forbid.

I repeat, your article is very well perceived and written.  In fact, I'm pretty sure you already had in mind the contents I mentioned Smiley  Peace to you brother.   Asalam alaykum.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 05:20:45 pm »

Very good work br. aoh.  while sister cp has also projected a great point.  Learning the meaning is a must.  Reciting / memorizing is just as necessary.  it's like a long-term investment for the benefit of believers in safe-guarding the Glorious Quran.

"A dignified and melodious recitation of the Quran is very soothing to the heart and mind.  ... In many Muslim countries it's quite usual for people to relax outside their homes in warm summer evenings .... when they often recite verses of the Noble Quran in subdued and gentle voices, it fills the atmosphere with an element of peace and pleasure for all listeners.......... "

Yes sister, this can be a mesmerizing situation.  How did u think of this? Smiley

"As we know from the direct words of the Quran, Jinns are a species made of smokeless fire who also inhibit this earth.  For this reason, there are humans who unexpectedly witness paranormal activities, indoor or outdoor, because of the presence of Jinns. ... At such times, reciting verses of the original Quran works like a silver bullet, literally.  Even in normal surroundings, regular recitation of the original promotes and provides security, and cleases the atmosphere." 

yup, it's true, very much so.  On occasions like these, the original words of the Quran almost instantly thwart the evil force.  There's no doubt about it.  But only reciting the original will help.  Pronounciations needn't be perfect, but must be in original Arabic.

Thank u so much brother and sister for such a quality discussion on one of the most important topics in life.  Wal'salam. peace.
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 12:14:08 pm »

Yeah, agree with both br. Ace and sister Heba.  Both have elucidated two very indispensible branches of learning in the field of Quraanic education.  We have to constantly be immersed in following the meanings of the entire Quraanic contents in order to acquire true guidance, illuminate our minds and improve our religiuos & ethical conduct.  Thus, we consider ourselves lucky that unlike other communities, we still have the original Message of Allah intact with us.  To ensure the continued existence of this great original Divine Gift, it's our foremost responsibility to protect it so that at no time in future should there be any possibility for the believers to lose the original or even a part of it.  For this indeed memorization (of the whole Quraan, or part of it or as much as we can even if that's a few Surahs) is the best remedy which the enemies of Allah will never be able to attack.  They can destroy papers, files, CDs and harddrives, but they can do nothing about what's stored in human memory. 

Those who recite must make it a duty to study the meanings after they've learnt the recitation.  I realize that recitation / memorization particularly for those who don't speak Arabic can be a bit difficult initially requiring a lot of concentration.  So, it might be hard to cope with meanings simultaneously.  But after they've perfected the recitation, the very next step should be to study the meanings thoroughly with the purpose of adhering to it.  Even if they're unable to grasp the depths of some of the Ayats as everyone isn't capable enough of reflecting accurately, they should at least grasp the important dictates along with the metaphorical & literal references, and also realize the importance of not adhering to things not warranted by the Glorious Quraan.

I've learnt by heart, 18 short Surahs of the Quraan from the last para and along with it, I've also memorized the translations so that when I recite these Surahs during salaat, I go over the meanings in my mind as well.  This way, I feel aware of what I'm reciting which provides me with a greater sense of accomplishment and also helps me better to make my daily life a part of my Faith.

Thank you br. Ace for such a lovely piece.  And same to you sistr cat for explaining matters further.

May Allah bless all of you with his choicest blessings, InshAllah, ameen.

Report Spam   Logged

AceOfHearts

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 07:34:33 pm »

Thank you all for all your highly valuable responses and for the kind words. I agree on the importance of techniques to keep the preservation of the Qur'an going. However, needless for me to say, the article was targetted at an audience who are not the kind we are here. I wrote it for the Hadith following Muslims who I noticed also stress a lot on memorising the Qur'an (which is great). However including any section stressing on this further would not be efficient for the aims of the article.

peace be to all.
Report Spam   Logged
Hadith_4_ever!

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 09:29:08 pm »

Allah swt said:

"Whatsoever the Messenger ( Muhammad saw) gives you, take it, and whatsoever he forbids you, abstain (from it)" (V.59:7)

And also Allah swt said:

"Say (O Muhammad saw to Mankind), 'If you (really) love Allah then follow me [i.e. accept Islamic Monotheism, follow the Qur'an and the Sunnah (legal ways of the Pophet saw)], Allah will love you and forgive you of your sins.'"
Report Spam   Logged
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 10:10:39 pm »

Salaam Alaikum, hadith4ever.  Welcome to MV.  Thanks for quoting these wonderful verses from the Noble Quraan. 

I would like to add that verse 59:7 is often misconstrued by many so-called Muslims into justifying the acceptance of hadith narrations.  But their twisted motto is easy to catch.  They have attributed hadith narrations falsely to our beloved Prophet, on whom be peace.  With V.59:7, they slyly try to convince people that since hadith is given by the Prophet, therefore it has to be accepted too.  A simple analysis exposes their folly.  First of all, V. 59:7 has nothing to do with hadith.  In order to understand various verses of the Quraan, it is often necessary to read and understand the preceding and following verses as well .. or at least the preceding & following lines of the same ayat.  You have only quoted a portion of V.59:7.  I will quote the whole verse as given below:

That which Allah giveth as spoil unto His messenger from the people of the townships, it is for Allah and His messenger and for the near of kin and the orphans and the needy and the wayfarer, that it become not a commodity between the rich among you. And whatsoever the messenger giveth you, take it. And whatsoever he forbiddeth, abstain (from it). And keep your duty to Allah. Lo! Allah is stern in reprisal.   (59:7) Al-Hashr

Thus as you can see, the portion of V.59:7 you quoted actually refers to the spoils of war ... not to accepting hadith and other such stories narrated by people of later times falsely pinned on the Prophet only to give leverage to their thoughts. 

You'll find a lot more info on this human trait of twisting Divine Words out of context in the article How and why former Divine Scriptures got distorted by Jasser Auda which I've taken from the Q&A column of Islam Online.

With regard to the other verse you've quoted, that too is truly lovely.  And again, it's got nothing to do with hadith, an institution that's laden with controversy or downright concocted ideas of imams and sheiks.  Following the Prophet means following the Quraan.  That's because the Allah Almighty has clearly asserted that the Prophet does not speak of his own accord.  The Prophet only says that which is inspired in him.  We know for sure that the Prophet (pbuh) never implemented his own rules that did not comply with the Quraan.  The Prophet did not allow anything not permitted by the Quraan, neither did the Prophet forbid anything not forbidden by the Quraan.  The Quraan is the only single authentic Message of Allah that was recited by the Prophet about which there is NO doubt in the minds of anyone.  Therefore.. following the Quraan automatically means following the Prophet, while following the Hadith is no guarantee of either following the Quraan nor the Prophet.   

Thanks again for you input.  Salaams and peace to you.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: