Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 09:54:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The Devil: Can He Harm Us?

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Devil: Can He Harm Us?  (Read 914 times)
Ahmad Bilal

Badges: (View All)
« on: May 19, 2008, 10:23:08 pm »

salamem everyone!

There seems to be a lot of discrepancy when it comes to the devil ("Satan") and his effect on humans. Many wonder whether or not the devil can actually physically harm the believers (Muslims). Well, in fact, the Quraan gives us the answer to that question, Alhamdulillaah. According to both the Bible and the Holy Quraan, the prophet Job (Ayyub) was afflicted by the devil:

"Remember our servant Ayyub (Job): he called upon his Lord, "The devil has afflicted (i.e. touched) me with hardship and pain." (Al Quraan 38:41)

What was Ayyub referring to? Was the devil causing physical harm to the prophet of Allah? Surah 17 of the Quraan speaks of a direct conversation between Allah and the devil, and part of the message states:

"Indeed, over my servants there is for you no SULTAN. And sufficient is your Lord as the Disposer of Affairs." (Al Quraan 17:65)

The word "SULTAN" is translated to mean power or authority, and according to Allah, Satan has NO POWER over his servants, the believers. So, it's reasonable to conclude that without any power over us, there's no way the devil can cause us physical pain and hardship directly, not according to God's infallible Word, the Quraan. But obviously, the devil can bring some kind of hardship upon us, directly or indirectly. So, what exactly can Satan do?

In the Quraan, in verse 64 of Surah 17, Allah says to the devil:

"'You may entice them with your voice, and mobilize all your forces and all your men against them, and share in their wealth and children, and promise them.' But the devil does not promise them except delusion." (Al Quraan 17:64)

Also, the Quraan says:

"And Satan will say, after the matter has been concluded (Day of Judgement), 'Allah has promised you the truthful promise. And I promised you, but I betrayed you. I had no power over you except that I enticed you, and you responded to me. Therefore, do not blame me, and blame only yourselves. I cannot be called to your aid, neither can you be called to my aid. Indeed, I have denied your idolizing me. The transgressors have incurred a painful punishment.'" (Al Quraan 14:22)

According to the Quraan, the devil will say to his followers that the only thing he did was "da'aawtakum", or "enticed you". This is the only thing Satan is able to do to humans, according the God's Word. This is confirmed in 20:120, when the devil misled Adam in the garden. It uses the term "Yusaswis", which literally means to intice by whispering. Ayyub is definately described as one of the faithful servants of Allah, and the devil had no power over him. So, who was bringing such affliction and suffering to him? Once again, searching through the Quraan, we find the answer:

"Do you expect to enter Paradise without being tested like those before you? They were touched with every poverty and harship, and were shaken up, until the messenger and those who believed with him said, 'Where is Allah's victory?' Indeed, Allah's victory is near." (Al Quraan 2:214)

Then, in the 78th verse of Surah 4, the Word of God says:

"When something good happens to them, they say, 'This is from Allah'; and when evil afflicts them, they say, 'This is from you'. Say, 'All things come from Allah.' So, what is the matter with those people that they can hardly understand any statement?" (Al Quraan 4:78)

Even more specifically, the Quraan says:

"Alif, Laam, Meem. Do the people assume that they will be left to say, 'We believe' and not be tried? But, for a certainty, We have tried those before them, and Allah will make evident those who are truthful, and He will surely expose the liars." (Al Quraan 29:1-3)

The Quraan specifically states that the only physical hardship that comes to us, other than from ourselves (4:79, 3:165), can be viewed as a test from Allah, and that includes the trials and hardships given to Ayyub. It is not the power or authority of the devil to punish humans or to test their faith - these things belong only to God Himself. So, because the Word of Allah says that trials and punishments through hardship comes from God, we can reasonably conclude that Satan has neither the power nor the authority to harm the humans. The devil's role is simply to entice us to commit sin, and it is up to US as believers to embrace or reject his enticements.

God knows best, Alhamdulillaah. Salaam...
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 12:48:46 am »

Alhamdulilah, what a refreshing piece.  I so much enjoyed reading it.  Your very important clarifications are superbly articulated.  There are any number of people who misunderstand these and other similar Ayats of the Quraan. 

It basically refers to the Devil's temptations directed at humans.  The weaker ones often fall for it while those who're firmly established in Faith, who understand, appreciate and follow the Message of Allah are beyond the control of Satan.

Also, you may have come across many skeptical minds asking that if fate is pre-destined by God then why does He punish people for their wrongdoing?  Though this might seem like a difficult question to many commoners, it's actually a very simple & clear issue for a true believer.  Allah makes our fate pre-destined only as a consequence of the method we follow in leading our lives that involves all our actions & reactions.  Thus, He states "Lo! Allah changeth not the condition of a folk until they (first) change that which is in their hearts;" (13:11).   Since Allah has also asserted in the Quraan that He has bestowed humans with a conscience and the awareness to choose their path of conduct, He allows us to make our choices.  Reward or retribution both in this world and the next are linked to these choices we make.  This is an important part of the process of  earthly tests, trials and tribulations.  I would interpret this as saying that generally God allows us to carve our own path of conduct on the basis of which He then dispenses His Judgment.  The reason why He does not intervene is not because He is unable to so, but because He chooses not to.  And again, there are circumstances during which He may decide to intervene and take matters entirely in His control.  The reasons for this can sometimes be envisaged by humans and sometimes not, if Allah desires to keep it hidden.  But it must be remembered that Allah always has a justifiable and concrete reason for every such matter, be it directly from Him or as a consequence of our deeds. 

And Allah knows best.

Many thanks brother Ahmed for this excellent contribution.  Walaikum Salaam.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 08:36:52 pm »

yes of course, Shaitan can only inflict 'pain or injury' on humans if humans allow him to do so by entertaining and falling for his temptations.

And sis zeynab, thanks for the details connected with verse 13:11.  It's true that there are many skeptical minds who ask that question.  Allah confounds those who never make an attempt to get out of this state of confusion by continuing to stick to their pride. 

wsalam

Report Spam   Logged

AceOfHearts

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 05:26:45 pm »

Dear Brother Bilal,

What brilliant writing that is! Thank you very muched. I really liked the way you proved that Satan does not physically harm but rather intices people to evil. I am always keen on meeting people like yourself who truly believe in Allah and can draw beneficial conclusions from the Qur'an. Thanks again brother. Peace be to you.

Sister Zeynab,

We may be of slightly differing views on this sister. Perhaps I see the beginning of some interesting discussions here on this topic. Your intepretaion is interesting. However, my views are that everything is actually 100% destined by Allah. The outcome of everything we do, down to the things we think is all destined by Allah. We have no power to alter our future or any outcome of any action we do.

Looking forward to hearing some intial remarks from you on this sister.

Peace be to you.

Report Spam   Logged
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 10:46:56 pm »

Sister Zeynab,

We may be of slightly differing views on this sister. Perhaps I see the beginning of some interesting discussions here on this topic. Your intepretaion is interesting. However, my views are that everything is actually 100% destined by Allah. The outcome of everything we do, down to the things we think is all destined by Allah.

Salaam Alaikum brother Ace.  Many thanks for your comments.

I've been one mind on this issue since long and shall continue to do so.  Praise be to Allah for not confounding me. 

I am convinced that everything is destined by Allah but on the basis of our actions.  It's really very simple to follow, as I perceive it from the depth of the Noble Quraan.  And Verse 13:11 (and others too) explains what I've understood perfectly.  Actually Verse 13:11 is a very well known one to clarify this issue.  It's a perfect and comprehensive gist of the entire concept of destiny. 

Allah does not change the condition of our hearts until we make changes in our actions, decisions, thoughts and intents that necessiate His decisions .. thus carving our destiny / fate.   That's because Allah has provided us with a conscience higher than that of other living creatures on earth and He wants us to prove to ourselves how far we are capable of developing that conscience and subsequently walking on the path of wisdom.   Allah has ordained it as such that though He does plan destiny 100% but as an outcome of our own deeds.  I consider this aspect very important otherwise I would be omiting a very important injunction of the Noble Quraan. 

Divine Power is the most perfect symbol of Justice.  Hence, Allah is NOT a partisan and His  planning of our destiny is not on the basis of His likes and dislikes of individuals at random, but it's on the basis of what we deserve for ourselves on account of our own actions, intents and efforts.   Whatever good or bad befalls us, is with the Will of Allah as a result of what we truly deserve.  This is what Verse 4:78 and many more imply.  This concept includes the tests of life.  Our passing it or failing it is no doubt with the Will of Allah.  But we can't just say that and relax.  If I fail in my exam, no doubt it's with the will of Allah as nothing can happen without His will.  But I musn't use that to wrap up the issue of my failure and do nothing about it.  Allah ordained my failure because of some reason.  That reason could be lack of hardwork, inattentive while being taught, cheating my mentors, my undesirable motives etc. etc.  I must try to reflect on my life to find that reason to make sure I make myself more worthy in the sight of Allah in future in order to achieve success by His will.  That's because Allah's decision to make us succeed or otherwise is based on our own spiritual & practical merits.  Though Allah puts us through various tests in earthly life and also helps us through those tests, Allah NEVER hurts anyone without a reason.  And of course, the final reward / retribution of our complete deeds await us in the Hereafter.  That's the ultimate goal of justice ordained for us by the Divine Power.

I know most people sound very confused on the issue of destiny, but not me, honestly.  Alhamdulilah. 
Report Spam   Logged

AceOfHearts

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 08:35:43 pm »

Thanks very much ssiter Zeynab, and especially for those Verses.

You see, this is quite a complicated issue. There is indeed a point where our limited human capacity cannot comprehend further and perhaps just acknowledging this limitation is more wisdom than trying to surpass the impossible barrier.

I believe there are two levels to this. And the Verses are there to indicate both. On an earthly and humanly level, we are made to feel we have free will, we have no choice but to lead ourlives making our decisions in life. Yet whatever we end up doing, that was actually all preordained. If one were to sit in one place and say Im not going to do anything and remain idle since it is all preordained, than him doing this was preordained by Allah. That person was not able to escape Allah's destiny. You see, to the 'humanly' level, a person feels like he has control of moments and actions. Indeed, we are supposed to lead our lives feeling that way as this is how Allah intended for us to operate as. And He has given us conscience to judge between right and wrong, hence the Verses you quoted. Yet, whatever we do based upon our consciences is preordained by Allah. We just cannot escape it. On one hand, we have Verses advise us in the realm we humans are in. And on the other hand we have Verses that are from the view of Allah's infinite power and grasp of each and every past and present and future moments. This is so that we may take advise and ponder on them to grow in wisdom, the first type helps us to make right deicisons and the second type helps us to surrender to the destiny of Allah.

Just for thought...every electromagnetic radiation waves falling on our retina, and every air pressure waves falling on our ear drum is a deliberate creation of Allah, we see and hear what Allah wants us to see and hear, from Allah's view point this is so, hence the one type of Verse. Yet as humans, we feel like we have control over ourselves and are forced to lead ourlives making effort to do so, hence the other type of Verses.

It is also interesting to notice how Allah sometimes speaks of occurances of the Day of Judgement in the past tense as if it has already and happened and finished.

Thanks again sister.

Peace. 
Report Spam   Logged
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 03:10:18 pm »

Thank you br. ts.  Both your inputs are very valuable and helpful.  I appreciate your profound approach. 
Report Spam   Logged

AceOfHearts

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 02:03:10 pm »

I think we will just have to agree to disagree on this matter. Smiley But this is something to not fall out over ofcourse. Smiley

peace.
Report Spam   Logged
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 05:55:18 pm »

Please note:

The rest of the ongoing discussions that ensued from the original post of this thread have been transferred into a new thread, "On Fate and Destiny"  because of the gradual change of topic.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 07:15:38 pm »

I think we will just have to agree to disagree on this matter. Smiley But this is something to not fall out over ofcourse. Smiley

Or maybe, disagree to agree  Grin Tongue Grin  whichever sounds more cute ..

nah brother, no one falls out over discussions.  business and friendship stay separate  Cheesy  i'm sure sis zeynab and br. ts will agree to agree with that  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: