Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
April 16, 2024, 09:47:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The term "Kausar" interpreted by Hadith compared to the Quran

+-
Shoutbox
April 02, 2024, 07:27:22 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Details on Leila tul Qadr every Ramadan, links HERE.
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: The term "Kausar" interpreted by Hadith compared to the Quran  (Read 18835 times)
Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

Badges: (View All)
« on: June 02, 2008, 12:31:21 am »

BismEm

The meaning of the term "Kausar" given by Hadith appears to carry no evidence of compatibility when we read the Noble Quran.

The usual meaning of the term 'Kausar' would be abundance in English.  I am not sure if this is the Hadith of Bukhari or some other writer, the Hadith has explained the term "Kauser" appearing in Surah al-Kausar (Chapter 108 of the Glorious Quran) as a fount in Jannah.  I've read Surah Al-Kausar (Chapter 108 of the Quran) countless number of times, trying to follow every word of it.  From the context of this Surah, I don't see how or why anyone should presume that "kausar" is meant to be a fount in Jannah.  Surah Al-Kausar was revealed to the Prophet (pbuh) in reply to the taunts by the idolaters of Qureysh who would often insult the him (pbuh) because he had no sons.  Allah Almighty comforts the Prophet (pbuh) by saying that HE has bestowed upon him abundance or plenty (apparently meaning plenty of blessings and good things) and it is his insulters who are insignificant and will not be remembered (without posterity). While Allah knows best, to a reader, quite clearly, the term 'kausar' in Surah 108 seems to carry the usual meaning of a common collective noun, not a proper noun.

SURAH AL-KAUSAR

1. Indeed! We have given you Abundance;
2. So pray unto your Rab, and sacrifice.
3. Indeed! it is your insulter (and not you) who is without posterity.
(Surah Al-Kausar 108:1-3)   

Mentioned in the Noble Quran, there are four to give refreshing drinks to the dwellers of Paradise.  Of course, there could be many more springs in Paradise, the details of which are known to Allah only.   But the names of the springs mentioned in the Quran are:

Tasnim  (Surah 83:27)
Kafur   (Surah 76:5)
Zanjabil   (Surah 76:17)
Salsabil   (Surah76:18)

There are no references to the term 'Kausar' as a spring, stream or river anywhere in the Quran. 

Now, it's interesting to read the following interpretation given by the Imam Ahmad Reza Academy.  It briefly states 'Kausar' being a fount,  then goes on to explain the usual meaning of the term.  In order to show a formal and official acceptance of the Hadith perspective, they have mentioned the sentence "Al-Kausar is the name of a fountain in Jannah (Paradise)" though the rest of the commentary makes no references to Kausar being a fountain.  However, this commentary seems confused.   Also, the translation begins incorrectly.  Allah says in the first Verse, "Indeed! We have given you abundance;" there is no "O beloved" in this Verse.   Some of these folks are so immersed in poetical reverie, they don't even refrain from mistranslating the Noble Quran.

http://www.raza.co.za/Fiqh/Fiqh_Short%20Surahs.htm

QUOTE -----

SURAH AL-KAUSAR

1. O beloved! Undoubtedly, We have bestowed you abundance of good.
2. Therefore, offer Prayer to your Lord, and do the Sacrifice.
3. Undoubtedly, one who is your enemy, he is cut off from every good.

"Al-Kausar is the name of a fountain in Jannah (Paradise). Almighty Allah has given the Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) this fountain. Al-Kausar means "The Abundance". Surah al-Kausar tells us that Almighty Allah gave the  Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) good things in abundance and excellences to which there are no limit. This Surah tells us about our Nabi Muhammad's (salllal laahu alaihi wasallam) high status. Some leaders of the Quraish made fun of the Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) when his young son, Hazrat Qasim (radi Allahu anhu), passed away saying that he no longer had any sons to carry on his name and that he would be forgotten after he passes away. Allah Ta'ala promises with this Surah that the memory of the Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) would continue forever and that all those who are his enemies will be forgotten.

It is true that all our Nabi Muhammad's (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) enemies have been forgotten. All their riches and sons have been forgotten. Today, millions of Muslims remember our Nabi Muhammad (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) in all parts of the world. They send blessings on him and his family millions of times each day. The enemies of Islam have been asked many times by Allah Ta'ala to get together and produce one Surah like this smallest Surah Kausar. They could not even produce a small Surah like this or change it.

This Surah 3 Ayahs, 10 words and 42 letters (harf)."

UNQUOTE ---

The above is from a Sunni source.

The Shiia perspective apparently goes totally off the track, totally bonkers.  I quote a thread from Shiia Chat that will explain the extent of make belief ideas harbored in the hearts of many people for promoting personal iconic values. 

QUOTE ----

"Al-Kawthar is a river in paradise. The best river.  And it's reality is the essence of Ahlulbayt . Fatima  is al-kawthar. 

The surah was revealed related to annoucement of Fatima's  birth. So it was revealed in her honour implying she is al-kawthar.

The Quraysh taunted the Prophet (sawa) for not having a lineage.
But Allah (swt) granted him Kauthar (Abundance). How?
For the Prophet (saaw) declared, for all men, their descendants are from the sons,
but except for me my descendants are the children of Fatima .
Thus Fatima was made the cause of Abundance for the Prophet (saaw).
God willed that the Abundance of the most cherished servant (Muhammad),
be from a daughter (Fatima) and not from a son.

This Gift to Muhammad (his grandsons, the children of Fatima) was indeed Abundance,
for Hasan and Husain."

UNQUOTE -----

So, according to the misinterpretation of the Shiias, "Kausar" refers to Fatima. 

Some more Shiia / Sunni perspectives on the term 'Kausar' from the same source posted by a member.

QUOTE ----

"The reason for this assumption is the tradition which traditionists of the rank of Imam Ahmad, Muslim, Abu Daud, Nasai, Ibn Abi Shaibah, Ibn al-Mundhir, Ibn Marduyah, Baihaqi and others have related from Hadrat Anas bin Malik, saying: "The Holy Prophet was among us. In the meantime he dozed; then he raised his head, smiling, according to some traditions, the people asked what for he was smiling, according to others, he himself told them that a Surah had just been revealed to him. Then, with Bismillah ir-Rahman ir-Rahim, he recited Surah Al-Kauthar; then he asked the people whether they knew what Kauthar was. When they said that Allah and his Messenger had the best knowledge, he said; It is a river which my Lord has granted me in Paradise."

"But, in the first place, from this same Hadrat Anas, Imam Ahmad, Bukhari, Muslim, Abu Da'ud, Tirmidhi and Ibn Jarir have related the traditions which say that this river of Paradise (Al-Kauthar) had been shown to the Holy Prophet (upon whom be peace) on the occasion of the mi`raj (ascension) and everyone knows that mi`raj had taken place at Makkah before the hijrah."

UNQUOTE -----

Thus, the concept of "Kausar" as a fountain or river or anything else comes entirely from the Hadith.  Both Sunnis and Shiias have an equal role in this profound misinterpretation - Shias apparently a lot more in this particular one.  The Noble Quran gives NO warrant for deducing such conclusions.   Surah Al-Kausar, which is brief and evidently non-metaphorical, carries a simple and direct statement - that the Prophet (pbuh) has been given plentiful from Allah Almighty.  This could refer to worldly rewards as well as maghfirah and rewards in the Hereafter.  But to presume "Kausar" to be a fountain in Paradise would be too far-fetched with a huge risk to spread disinformation, something for which those responsible will have to answer to Allah on the Day of Judgement.

Only Allah knows best.   Allah-o-Alim.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 05:52:55 am »

Thoroughly interesting read.  I had thought of this many times too.  I also don't see any reason why the word 'Kausar' must be interpreted as a fountain.  It's English equivalent "Abundance" in Pickthall's translation written with a capital 'A' is to make it conform with the Hadith explanation.  However, as i've heard and read, he was pressured quite a bit by the authorities at Al-Azha (Egypt) for showing conformity with Hadith.  In the process, he had to make several revisions at their behest, otherwise they refused to okay his translations.  So I read. 

I'm also surprised by the mind boggling fabrications of the Shiias.  The Sunnis describe 'Kausar' as a fount in Paradise, while the Shiias link it to Fatima Zahra.  I never knew this.   

Moreover, the 4 Springs you stated have been so beautifully mentioned in the Quraan.

Thank you sister Heba, for this superb piece.  Take care Smiley  Salaams and Allah bless.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 08:47:35 pm »

Thanks so much for your appreciation sis zeynab.  Yeah, u r right.  In this bit the Shiia fabrications have surpassed those of the Sunnis, though usually they're running neck & neck. 

I've taken a quick look at the article you posted on the publicaiton of Pickthall's English translation of the Quran at the Islamic Issues board.  It looks like a good and important read.  As soon as I get some more time, I'll go through it carefully, Insh'Allah. 
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 07:14:06 pm »

Very useful post, sister Heba, and well written.  I too am not aware of 'Kausar' being referred to as a fount anywhere in the Quran, even though the names of other founts are mentioned as you stated.  It's very likely that there would be many more founts in Jannah as well with other names.  But we can't presume any name unless the Quran states it so. 

Btw - the Shiia story of linking the term 'kausar' to Fatima Zahra amazes me.  I'd never heard of this before.  It must be that member's personal view.  Even in the category of presumptions, this would be considered as one stretched a bit too much.
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 03:58:23 am »

Here's the precise Hadith which is the source of this story with NO evidence from the Noble Quran for interpreting the term "kausar" as a river or stream in Paradise.

"It is related by Anas that the Apostle of God said: “While I was walking in Paradise I saw a [strange] river on either bank of which there were domes made of concave pearls. ‘What is it?’ I inquired from Gabriel. ‘It is the Kausar the Lord has given to you,’ Gabriel replied. I found that its soil was as fragrant as musk.” -Bukhari
Report Spam   Logged

muslima

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 01:04:39 pm »

salamem

woow just browser and  MV & zainabslounge come up at first place  Cheesy  great i was thinking to ask here jazak Allah, Mashallah Many thanks sis heba for this very educative article  Thumbsup . As we all know it's a month of Rajab and Al-Isra and Al-Miraj (the miraculous Night Journey and Ascension of the Prophet pbuh) is in discussion everywhere and its golden time for hadithist's to refresh fabricated lies just an hour ago i came across the same topic in discussion  again the Bridge sirat /pul sirat and i was quite surprised when one of sister quote me surah kausar reagrding Hauzu'l-Kausar to justify narration ( see below  Hauzu'l-Kausar ) .. Truly the senseless collection of sunni hadith's can cause headache only  after reading through further this article Imam Ahmad Reza Academy view is very good except the hadith conformation ,shia view is out of grasp i never knew before that's so Sad this concept of kausar as fountain in paradise which is also called Hauzu'l-Kausar is  very well known in muslim circle hadith version of miraj has completely messed up  no wonder on hadith books and the false narrators  and  ulma's those who always explained some thing which Quran does not mention as they have personally viewed it. Angry I too have study this marvelous surah several times but have never found any hint to refer kausar as fountain  ... I am completely agree with ur view @ sis am adding little bit for my better understandings May be it help others too .correct me if i am wrong

Narration sister quote me !!

http://www.babylon.com/definition/Hauzu%27l-Kausar/

Hauzu'l-Kausar

[Islamic] The pure lake of Muhammad, situated on the shores of heaven. When the sinless faithful cross the thin bridge Sirat al-Mustaqim they may drink from this 'pond of abundance'. Its water is sweet and white like milk. By drinking it, the blessed forget all the suffering and unhappiness of their earthly life. They will then proceed on their way to their assigned domiciles, their palaces in paradise.

In Islamic context, the Hauzuʾl-Kausar is the lake or fountain of abundance in Jannah (paradise). Persons having crossed the As-Sirāt arrive at this lake, from which one is expected drink to forget any bad experiences they may have had during their lives, before moving further into paradise.

further  few points  i would like to add . verses u quote !

1: Quran word  AAaynan عَيْناً

وَمِزَاجُهُ مِن تَسْنِيمٍ
83:27

عَيْنًا يَشْرَبُ بِهَا الْمُقَرَّبُونَ

AAaynan yashrabu biha almuqarraboona  83:28

A spring whence those brought near (to Allah) drink

عَيْنًا يَشْرَبُ بِهَا عِبَادُ اللَّهِ يُفَجِّرُونَهَا تَفْجِيرًا

AAaynan yashrabu biha AAibadu Allahi yufajjiroonaha tafjeeran 76:6

A spring wherefrom the slaves of Allah drink, making it gush forth abundantly

عَيْنًا فِيهَا تُسَمَّىٰ سَلْسَبِيلًا

AAaynan feeha tusamma salsabeelan 76:18

(The water of) a spring therein, named Salsabil.

We can see the Beautiful verses u mention above regarding springs  " Allah specify springs in next verse with word AAaynan   ( Springs ) /  عَيْناً ( ع ى ن ) which conforms springs , thus  If kausar is spring or lake or fountain then Allah would mention it in next verse of kausar also with arabic word AAaynan ( spring) ?

2: Words donates to water channel in general .

النافورة
 Fountain

Lake
البحيرة

River 
النهر

pond
البركة

Q: where does word Kausar goes into favour of  a pond / lake /river of paradise or a water channel in heaven ??

1 - Kasr كثر  means 'A lot', many ,numerous , incredible loads of amount

(Kaseer كثير   emphasises - a lot more abundance than kaseer also )

2- Kausar كوثر = even more than Kaseer - ABUNDANCE of A LOT.

This is used to describe khair al kaseer (Abundance of Good) also

so keeping in view the general meaning of the word kausar  /كَوْثَر

3: كَوْثَر (kausar ) is the intensive form of ‘كُثْر’ (kusr) which means ‘wealth and affluence’ /to be or become much more, a lot

Therefore, ‘كَوْثَر’ (kausar) would simply mean ‘a lot of abundance’ or ‘somebody having a lot abundance and affluence'/blessings. as u mention in article , The verse in which it occurs,by it self gave the meaning that Allah in order to console and encourage prophet(pbuh) at that time had sent down surah !! O Prophet! Your foolish opponents think that you are ruined and deprived of the good things but the fact is that We have favoured you (prophet pbuh)  with unbounded good and countless blessings. This included the matchless moral qualities which the Prophet(pbuh) was blessed with, the great blessings of Prophethood and the Quran, the knowledge and wisdom that were granted to him .

4: another point  is past tense  !

إِنَّا أَعْطَيْنَاكَ الْكَوْثَرَ
Truly we have given thee an abundance ( al-Kausar)

The past tense of the verse ..'' Upon you have We bestowed kausar '' .verse under discussion is also have  another emphasis on this meaning and the phrase  'We have given you' is an evidence to the fact that He (Allah)  has awarded him (pbuh) kausar/Abundance, included Great blessing of Miraj ,which, itself, is a great glad tiding, grace in abundance to the Prophet (pbuh)

Also the very essential point is ! Allah alone know about the rewards and blessings He will grant or has already granted to  prophet (pbuh), it's beyond our imagination and guess works .So In study of Quran there is no reference of kausar as fountain.

right or wrong ... ?
Report Spam   Logged

Lo! Allah hath bought from the believers their lives and their wealth because the Garden will be theirs: they shall fight in the way of Allah and shall slay and be slain. It is a promise which is binding on Him in the Torah and the Gospel and the Qur'an. Who fulfilleth His covenant better than Allah? Rejoice then in your bargain that ye have made, for that is the supreme triumph.9:111
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 08:17:27 am »

Walaikum as-Salam dear sister Muslima, how are you  Smiley

True there are absolutely no references nor hints of "kausar" being a stream or fountain or river in Paradise.  Though there are surely plenty of streams in Jannat, some of which have also been mentioned in the Noble Quran, there is no evidence to connect the word "kausar" with them.  "kausar" simply means plentiful or abundance in terms of Allah's blessings which He showered upon the Prophet (saaw) during his lifetime.  Hadith fabrications on "kausar" are so many that I've lost track of them.  Just as well as I don't ever intend to follow them anyway. 

I think, whether one says "given you abundance or bestowed on you abundance" means the same.  Both imply giving plenty of blessings in life.  In this case, I wouldn't really call it past tense, as it says "We have given you abundance;"  Since Allah is speaking to the Prophet in his lifetime and telling him of everything He has so far bestowed on the Prophet, alludes to the present .. as I see it.  The expression "have given" ("aʿṭaynāka" .. pronounced "aataynaa" meaning 'We have given you' as in Corpus Quran) would indicate present tense better than past.  If it was 'had given' then that would be past.  This makes it very probable that the reference is to the blessings and help which the Prophet received from Allah on earth in the course of his mission.  Also, the other reason I am led to presume that it specifically indicates the blessings and kindness of Allah on the Prophet in this world is from the last verse of Surah Al-Kausar: "Lo! it is thy insulter (and not thou) who is without posterity."  The term "posterity" refers to future generations.  Corpus Quran explains it as "the one cut off."   In this verse Allah comforts the Prophet stating that it's the Prophet's name that will remain in the future generations, and his enemies are the ones who will be cut off or forgotten.  This is a reference to what will happen in future in this world, prior to the Day of Judgement.    As we can see, this is also a fabulous prophecy which has come accurately true, spot on!

Isra and Meraj is of course 100% true, contained in the Noble Quran.  But we don't know which month.  And again, as we know, the Hadith traditions have added plenty of exaggerations with the event of Isra and Meraj, and also lots of mythical rituals connected with the month of Rajab and Shaban.  Isra wal Meraj or Laylat al-Meraj is observed on 27th Rajab.  Today is 19th Rajab and Isra and Meraj 2013 is expected on June 5th or 6th, InshAllah.  But obviously this date has come from the so-called traditions. I haven't found any evidence of this date in the Quran.   I'm not sure if you read our piece on Isra and Meraj.  If not, here is the link you might want to take a look at.  It describes Isra and Meraj strictly in accordance with the information in the Quran. 

"No hardship in Religion / Description of Mairaj"
http://muslimvilla.smfforfree.com/index.php?topic=670.0

Yes sister, you're perfectly right.  Only Allah, The Almighty, knows of the details of the reward He will bestow on the Prophet (saaw).   Allah hasn't mentioned what level or grade of reward He will grant to each of His messengers, but we do know that InshAllah, all of Allah's messengers will be rewarded by Him.  The details of what will be given to each individual is a matter of the unseen which only Allah knows, including the reward of the Prophets.

JazekAllah khair.   Allah bless.  May Allah continue to guide all of us.  Ameen, ameen.
Report Spam   Logged

muslima

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 06:19:22 pm »

Thanks for asking dear sis ruhi ,alhamdulillah i am fine , hoping same for u ?

jazak Allah sis okay i understand ,thanks for further explanation

yes i have read that it's bro's post it's very comprehensive one . am there Smiley regarding the  Isra wal Meraj or Laylat al-Meraj is observed on 27th Rajab as u said i agree Quran does not conform the month and date of miraj event, honestly speaking  personally i don't celebrate these events and Quran does not providing dates either , i am not saying that everyone must be agree with me. it's only my opinion.

btw sis i got to know about shia practice of "Koonday " from shia perspective ( different stories ) , sunni also do it ? i  would like to know if u guys have any information. ?
Report Spam   Logged

Lo! Allah hath bought from the believers their lives and their wealth because the Garden will be theirs: they shall fight in the way of Allah and shall slay and be slain. It is a promise which is binding on Him in the Torah and the Gospel and the Qur'an. Who fulfilleth His covenant better than Allah? Rejoice then in your bargain that ye have made, for that is the supreme triumph.9:111
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 07:36:36 pm »

btw sis i got to know about shia practice of "Koonday " from shia perspective ( different stories ) , sunni also do it ? i  would like to know if u guys have any information. ?

lol .. yeah, this is another nonsense.  We have this topic at MV.  A year ago Sis Heba asked on "koonda."  I really didn't know, but Sis Zeynab gave some details.  Yes it's followed by both Shiias and Sunnis but only in South Asia (Pakistan and India).  You can check it at the link below:

'What is "koonda" among Pakistani & Indian Muslims?'
http://muslimvilla.smfforfree.com/index.php?topic=3845.0
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 07:48:47 pm »

hummm .. this 'koonday' is another one of those many Rajab myths prevalent among Pakistani and Indian Muslims.  22nd Rajab is supposed to be the day for 'koonday.'   Completely un-Quranic practice.  It comes from non-Muslim ideas.  That link sister Ruhi gave provides the basic info on koonday.
Report Spam   Logged

muslima

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 06:44:33 pm »

good okay going to check post .jazak Allah sisters , Allah bless u guys ameen 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: