Guests wanting to sign-up as members MUST first introduce themselves in detail at Zainab's Lounge, accessible from Muslim Villa's Guestbook Board (top sticky post). Approval of members is at the discretion of the MV Team. You have arrived at a place of serious learning through mutual consultation of MV Team where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Sublime Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism."
Muslim Villa
June 23, 2018, 10:14:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Sound of mysterious footsteps on the staricase

+-
Shoutbox
June 08, 2018, 08:49:28 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Leilatul Qadr 1439 (2018) on June 8. To learn about this great Night, read our posts on Leilatul Qadr @ this thread.
May 16, 2018, 04:03:41 am Ruhi_Rose: Ramadan Mubarak to u too brother and to everyone.  May Allah accept our efforts.  Ameen.
May 16, 2018, 04:01:41 am N. Truth Seeker: Ramadan 2018 Mubarak to all.  Just finished sahoor, getting ready for Fajr.  Alhumdulilah.
November 09, 2017, 04:26:36 am Heba E. Husseyn: Please pray for Rohingya children. As genocide in Buddhist Burma continues, many Rohingya children arriving in Bangladesh camps don't know where their parents are. May the Burmese murderer-terrorist Su Kyi rot in Hell.
June 21, 2017, 07:42:01 am Zeynab: Shukran sis Heba.  Allah Bless. Ameen.
June 21, 2017, 07:39:56 am Heba E. Husseyn: Leialtul Qadr Mubarak.  For details on Leilatul Qadr please read MV post Leila-tul-Qadr
May 04, 2017, 05:35:01 am N. Truth Seeker: Alhumdulilah, Alhumdulilah.  Still 22 days left.  InshAllah we can thank Allah for granting us the opportunity to experience another of this blessed month for the betterment of our souls.  Thanks for mentioning Sister.
May 04, 2017, 05:20:37 am Ruhi_Rose: I can hardly keep track with the speed at which time flies.  Ramadan 2017 only 22 days away!
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Sound of mysterious footsteps on the staricase  (Read 561 times)
Zeynab
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

Badges: (View All)
« on: June 26, 2008, 01:45:15 am »

This is a very true story which I heard directly from my beloved father.  My father often used to tell us about this incident in a very amusing manner when we were grown-up.  However, he said that at the time he went through it, it felt really weird.

It happened many years ago when my Dad was a very young man, a couple of years before he was married to my Mom.  My father was in the government service in our country of origin.  About 4 or 5 years after he joined service .. he was around 27 or 28 years of age .. he was posted in charge of a small town as a sub-divisional officer.  Though he was single at the time, he was given a beautiful old official bungalow to reside in and the office was attached to the bungalow.  It was one of those British style double-storey homes, tastefully furnished with several huge bedrooms, two living rooms, two dining rooms, a large office-room, a very spacious verandah, a huge kitchen and garden, and of course a large set of servants who had their quarters within the premises of the compound a little distance away from the main house.   

Like many old homes, this one too had a bit of a history. It was more than a hundred years old.  During the old British days in the early 1900s, a young British officer used to live there with his wife and little daughter.  On a particular summer, he and his family were preparing to visit England for a month-long vacation.  They were due to leave the following week.  He was wrapping up his work in the afternoon at his office-room, about to leave for lunch when his secretary informed him that a local lady who was probably a social worker, wanted to see him for a minute to sign a petition for constructing a swimming pool in that small town. The British officer told his secretary to send her in.  It was discovered later, this woman was no social worker but a member of some anti-government movement that was against the British rule.  She entered the office led by the secretary with a document, and while the officer began signing on it, she took out a small revolver from underneath her clothing and shot him dead from close range.  He died almost instantly.   

There was complete confusion and commotion in the bungalow.  The young officer's wife and daughter were shattered with grief.  Within a fortnight they packed up and left for England permanently.  The assailant was of course arrested and taken away.  She was eventually either given the death sentence or life imprisonment.

Soon after the officer's assasination and after his family left for home, his successors who came to live in that house complained of an errie feeling of his presence.  A couple of years later they began hearing sounds of heavy footsteps on the wooden staircase that led to the upper floor.

My father came to this house many years later.  He only knew that someone was a victim of a political murder in this bungalow long ago.  But he knew nothing about the paranormal history.  My Dad learnt about this on the day he moved in when he met his predecessor briefly, who mentioned to my Dad that "this is a very nice and comfortable house" but  sometimes "Mr. Stevens' ghost visits the place and his footsteps can be heard."  At that time my Dad didn't take it seriously.  For a week he heard nothing.  But about ten or twelve days later, sure enough, after midnight he was woken up by quite a loud and steady sound of footsteps coming down and going up the wooden staircase.  It went on for more than ten or fifteen minutes.  My Dad called out asking "anyone there" but no reply.  Dad said he really froze.  It was truly weird and spooky.   

When my father mentioned this to some members of the staff, they didn't seem surprised at all.  They said that it's a well accepted story that the young gentleman's spirit visits this bungalow and that a few members of the staff had also seen his apparition within the premises of the house, inside and outside.

The footsteps wouldn't be heard every night, but perhaps a couple of evenings a week.  My Dad said he just couldn't take it for long.  He lived in that house for just two months and then moved into another official bungalow some distance away.  This was a much smaller residence, and though not as plush as the previous one, my Dad felt a lot better here.
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 08:09:39 pm »

This is an interesting one.  really wacko!  I can think of three non-paranormal possibilities that could have been the cause of this. 

1) I was told that in these old Victorian style homes around the world, that are large and spacious with wooden floors and staircases, the wood expands and contracts with the change of atmospheric temperature, often making loud crackling sounds.

2) Most such old homes have a lot of mice activities.  Rats and mice often come out at night from underneath the wooden crevices and run along the wooden staircase and floor.  The rats romping about on wooden surfaces is often noisy and can sound eerie (like footsteps) in the silence of the night. 

3) Could it have been one of the staff or servants who were hired to take care of the official residence would come to check the house as part of their night duty to make sure everything is safe and okay. 
Report Spam   Logged

HE WHO KNEELS BEFORE ALLAH CAN
STAND BEFORE ANYONE.
Zeynab
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 02:47:09 am »

No brother, it was surely neither of these 3 possibilities.  When wood expands and contracts because of changing atmospheric temperature, it happens periodically not constantly.  As for rats moving on wooden surface can be somewhat noisy at night, but again, that kind of noise is heard at random.  It isn't as systematic as the sound of steady footsteps.  What my father heard was like someone cautiously going up and down the staircase.   Besides, it was a very well maintained place.  There were no rats and mice around.  As for the staff / servants, there were several of them but none of them entered the house at night.  Their quarters were outside the main house.  After dinner my Dad locked the main doors and had the house entirely to himself till early next morning when he would wake up for Fajr, and well after Fajr open one of the doors on the kitchen side to let the servants in to bring breakfast. 
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 12:53:54 am »

Very interesting one sis!  Though br. persian is right, sometimes the noises made by rats on wooden floors can sound like people moving around .... sister zeynab has a point too that rats won't run around as steadily as the sound of human footsteps. 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: