Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 29, 2024, 01:49:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Zikr and Durood

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Zikr and Durood  (Read 11633 times)
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

Badges: (View All)
« on: July 02, 2008, 04:18:14 am »

It's easy to know the difference between Durood and Zikr (Dhikr).  Durood means asking for Allah's blessings on the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) while Zikr is the remembrance and praise of Allah Almighty.  But for confirmation, I put this question to Brother Shabir Ally, President of the Islamic Info Center.  He explanation of these two terms was the same, which I quote: "Durood is a blessing conferred on the Prophet. Dhikr means remembrace, usually the remembrance of Allah (Dhikrullah)."

Thus, Durood is basically a supplication or prayer to Allah for showering blessings on the beloved Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).  Indeed as per the dictates of the Glorious Quraan, it is obligatory for us to shower blessings on the Prophet and also to implore Allah to love and bless the Prophet.  There are numerous verses in the Quraan that emphasise on this aspect.

Lo! Allah and His angels shower blessings on the Prophet. O ye who believe! Ask blessings on him and salute him with a worthy salutation. (33:56).

However, we must know the difference between Durood and Zikr in terms of spiritual use and function. 

You will very commonly hear people talk about reciting Durood in times of distress, hardships, illnesses, while waiting for a desire to be fulfilled etc.  I personally do not agree with such implementations of Durood.  At such times we have to recite Zikr, not Durood.  This means, during hardships, trials and tribulations when we are in need of help, we must reach out to Allah alone and no one else.  No one but Allah can grant us our wishes and desires, and none but Him can remove our distress.  The best way to remember Allah (Subhan Wa'Tala) is through Zikr (or Dhikr) by reciting Quraanic Surahs or verses e.g. Ayat al-Kursi (2:255), Fatiha (the first Surah of the Quraan), Surah Akhlas (Surah 109) or any other Surah of our choice.  You can also pick your favourite verses from the Quraan and recite them frequently.  Please know, Zikr helps tremendously to get us through our difficult times.  It provides us with courage, heightens our rationality and sharpens our conscience.  Recite Zikr in original Arabic, but keep the translations in mind so that when you are reciting in Arabic and remembering Allah, you understand what you're saying or asking.   

One may ask .. why shouldn't we recite Durood in times of hardships and distress?  Like I stated, Durood is a wonderful practice.  It indicates love for the Prophet and asks Allah for blessings on the Prophet.  If we ask for blessings on the Prophet, Allah will be pleased with us and may bless us as well.  That's because remembering the Prophet in our prayers is obligatory for believers.  But we must also know that the Prophet cannot grant us our prayers and wishes.  For this, we have to approach Allah directly and no one else. 

Hence, the difference between Durood and Zikr is obvious.  It's important to keep this in mind and not use Durood as a substitute for Zikr. 

Some excellent and brief recitations for the remembrance (Zikr) of Allah Almighty which we can recite frequently and at anytime are as follows:

La ilaha ila anta Subhanaka ini kunto minazalimeen (21:87)
There is no God save Thee. Be Thou Glorified! Lo! I have been a wrong-doer.

Salamun qualum mir Rabbir Raheem (36:58)
The word from a Merciful Lord (for them) is: Peace!

Wa Yooba ith nada Rabbahu Anee Mas-saniya Ad-Durru Wa-anta Arhamu Ar-Rahimeen (21:83)
Lo!  Adversity afflicteth me and Thou art Most Merciful of all who show mercy.

Wa'qul: Rabbi Aaoozu-bika-min Hamazatis shayateen.  (23:97)
And say: My Lord!  I seek refuge in Thee from suggestions of hte evil ones

The following is a supplication for forgiveness.  It is not a Quraanic supplication, but is a very good one.

Astaghfar'Allah-e-Rabbi min kulay zambiv Wa-tubu Alay.
I seek the forgiveness of Allah, my Lord, from every sin; and I return to Him.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 08:54:57 pm »

In continuation:

Durood-e-Tanjeena (also referred to as Durood Shariff) is somewhat different from the Durood Shariff we recite in our prayers after Tashahud, in that, it's a supplication starting with blessings for the beloved Prophet  proem  and then requesting Allah Almighty for to help us with our earthly calamities and hardships, and to grant us whatever He considers best.  It's a combination of the regular Durood Shariff, Dua Qunut and Istikhara.    It isn't a Quranic supplication, but it's a very good du'a totally in conformity with Quranic values.  I would request everyone to recite it. 

The Arabic, English transliteration and English translation of Dua-e-Tanjeena is given below.  Anyone who doesn't know it by memory, shouldn't worry.  You can recite by reading from the paper you write it on.

ALLAHUMMA SALLI ALA SAYYIDINA WA MAULANA MUHAMMADIW WA ALA AALI SAYYIDINA WA MAULANA MUHAMMADIN SALAATAN TUNAJJINA BIHA MIN JAMI-IL AHWAALI WAL-AFAATI WA TAQDILANA BIHA MIN JAMI-IL HAAJAATI WATU TAHIRUNA BIHA MIN JAMI-IS SAYYI AATI WATAR FA-UNA BI HAA A-LAD DARAJAATI WATU BAL LIGHUNA BIHA AQSAL GHAAYAATI MIN JAMI-IL KHAIRAATI FIL HAYAATI WABA-DAL MAMAATI INNAKA ALA KULLI SHAY IN QADEER.

Oh Allah! shower blessings on Muhammad our master, and his family, such blessings by means of which Thou may relieve us of all anxieties and calamities.  Thou may satisfy all our needs.  Thou may clean us of all evils and thanks for which Thou may grant us high position and high rank and status in Thy presence, and Thou may lead us to the utmost limit of our aspirations and capacity in whatever is best in this world as well as in the world Hereafter as Thou has the full power over everything.

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 04:11:26 am »

Salams and many thanks for this very relevant clarification between Zikr and Durood, sister.  Many people don't know or wouldn't bother to know.  It's very important.

I have a question here.

We had a meeting with several of our extended family members on Zoom a couple of days ago and someone asked if it's okay to ask forgiveness for the mistakes (or sins) of the Prophet (pbuh) in our prayers.   There were some confused answers to this query, but no one could really confirm it.  I said I would discuss it at MV and let them know. 

In my opinion there's no need for us to ask forgiveness for Prophet Muhammad nor any of the earlier Prophets.  Allah Almighty knows and He makes the necessary decisions for matters that are beyond our jurisdiction.   I would really like your feedback.

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 04:24:21 am »

Wa'Salam sister Ruhi.   

No.  We should only make du'a to Allah Almighty for blessings on the Prophet, that is, durood .. not for forgiveness of his sins. 

The final Messenger and all former messengers of Allah Almighty were people chosen by Him to deliver His Message to the human society of the world.  Allah chooses only those who are truly worthy.   This doesn't go to say that Prophets never made mistakes.  After all they were human beings.  However, while Prophets in the past may have inadvertently acquired minor sins, they never acquired any major sins.  Whatever smaller sins they may have been responsible for, that's between Allah and them.  It's not for us to focus on that.   Allah already knows everything and He knows that all His messengers were people of fine character, honest and sincere.  All Prophets were people whose quality as humans was a lot better than that of the rest of humanity.  Thus, it seems rude on our part to ask forgiveness for the "sins" of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) or any of his predecessors (peace on them all).   Allah Almighty  is Aware of everything. 

In fact the Quran does confirm that Allah Almighty forgave whatever mistakes Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) made in the past and make in the future.  Allah knows the past as well as the future.  If you read Verse 2 of Surah Al-Fath (or Surah 48), it says "That Allah may forgive you of your sin that which is past and that which is to come, and may perfect His favour unto you, and may guide you on a right path,"  48:2  Al-Fath.   Pickthall has opined that Al-Fath or Victory refers to the Treaty of Hudaybiyah signed in the 6th year of the Hijrah which proved to be very beneficial for the spread of Islam in Arabia.  Indeed the Treaty of Hudaybiyah was very helpful for the Prophet's (pbuh) mission.  But whether or not V.48:2 refers to it or to some other treaty is only known to Allah.  V.48:10 reflects that  V.48:2 t does refer to some treaty.   "Indeed! those who swear allegiance unto you (Muhammad), swear allegiance only unto Allah. The Hand of Allah is above their hands. So whosoever breaks his oath, breaks it only to his soul's hurt; while whosoever keeps his covenant with Allah, on him will He bestow immense reward."  48:10.   This Verse may well allude to the treaty of Hudaybiyah.  And Verse 48:2 does apparently refer to the forgiveness of the Prophet's (pbuh) mistakes - past and future - whatever those were, known to Allah and He has already forgiven His final Messenger.

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 04:54:48 am »

Many thanks my brother.  So well highlighted with Quranic references.  This is exactly what I needed to answer and explain this question.  I'll convey it on your behalf to my husband and all close members of my family who were interested to know about it. 
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 04:55:40 am »

Very welcome sister Ruhi.
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 04:56:48 am »

Very good question and very well answered.    Allah bess.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 05:05:07 am »

Very well explained.   Thank you brother TS. 

And if it became a practice to pray for forgiveness of sins of the Prophet and previous Prophets (peace be on them all), it would open another door for fitna and spreading false allegations about Prophets by the combative trouble-making kuffar and Islamophobes.

That's correct, we can only pray to Allah Almighty for blessings (durood) on the Prophet (pbuh). 

Btw, very good post Sister Zeynab, detailing the difference between Zikr and Durood.  Wonderfully clarified.   I don't know how I missed until now.  

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 05:08:41 am »

And if it became a practice to pray for forgiveness of sins of the Prophet and previous Prophets (peace be on them all), it would open another door for fitna and spreading false allegations about Prophets by the combative trouble-making kuffar and Islamophobes.

That's a very thoughtful point Sister Heba.  You're right.  The belligerent ones love such discussions, because each such discussion of theirs gives them the opportunity for greater manipulation and lies.

Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 05:09:45 am »

Yes brother, exactly.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: