Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 29, 2024, 03:13:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Was there a prophet called Al-Khidr?

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Was there a prophet called Al-Khidr?  (Read 560 times)
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

Badges: (View All)
« on: November 20, 2006, 06:28:04 am »

salamem

Would anyone know if the Quran mentions about a prophet by the name al-khidr?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 06:40:56 am »

wsalam rose

no, the name 'al-khidr' is not mentioned in the Quraan .. not to my knowledge.  however, verses 60-82 in Surah 18 (Al-Kahf) refers to the prophet al-khidr according to scholarly lectures and tafsirs.  In this regard i am pasting a lecture of brother steve rockwell below.  this might be helpful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Someone in a congregation asked Moses if he knew who was the most knowledgeable person of the time.  Moses replied "I am" perhaps because he felt that being the chosen messenger of Allah, he would know more about the unseen than a common person.  However, Allah did not like Moses' response for Moses should have replied by saying "Allah-o-Alim."  Moses repented immediately. 

Before Moses approached the Mount for his tryst with Allah, he asked Allah what he should bring with him .. and Allah replied to Moses saying that he should come to the Mount with humility.

To meet the slave of Allah who was a very knowledgeable man, Allah commanded Moses to travel with a fish in a box filled with water.  And at whatever point or place the fish got lost, there he (Moses) would meet Allah's slave.  Thus, Moses and Joshua began travelling together with the fish.  At a certain place, the fish somehow jumped out of the box, made its way through the sand and into the water nearby.  Joshua saw it but forgot to mention it to Moses.  Soon after, they continued walking ahead.  A little while later, Moses felt tired and decided to rest.  He told Joshua to bring the fish so they could cook some food.  Joshua then remembered that the fish was lost and told Moses about it.  Moses replied that that was the reason why they were travelling, and they both retraced their steps back to the place where the fish got out of the box and swam away into the waters.  Here, Moses knew he would find Allah's slave who was more knowledgeable than him.  His name was Al-Khidr (and probably he was a prophet). 

Moses travelled with Al-Khidr and Joshua came with them.  Al-Khidr told Moses to have patience while they traveled and not to ask him any questions for whatever he did.  Moses promised not to do so. 

As they travelled, they came to a certain town and Al-Khidr destroyed a ship.  Moses was surprised and asked him why he did this.  Al-Khidr then reminded Moses that he had promised not to ask any questions.  Mosed apologized and they continued travelling.  Then they came to a place where they saw a child and al-Khidr killed this little boy.  Again Moses raised his voice, being shocked.  Now Al-Khidr told Moses that they must part for Moses again broke his promise to remain silent.  Moses again apologized, begged forgiveness and asked for a last chance.  They continued travelling.  They came to a town where the people were very uncivilized and untrustworthy.  The travellers asked for food but the people refused to give them anything to eat.  In this town there was a wall that was leaning, and it was close to a place where two orphan children lived.  Al-Khidr fixed this leaning wall without demanding any money for his services, and then continued his journey.  Moses wanted to say something but thought for a while.  Then he couldn't contain himself any longer and asked Al-Khidr why he didn't demand any money for repairing the wall so they could buy some food with that money.  Al-Khidr now told Moses that they must part for Moses could not bear with him.  But before parting al-Khidr explained to Moses the reasons behind his acts that surprised Moses and so he couldn't help asking questions. 

Al-Khidr mentioned that first of all, he spoiled the ship because there was a cruel king ruling that town who was taking away all ships by force without paying any compensation to the owners.  Al-Khidr damaged the ship so that the king wouldn't take it and the ship would remain with the owner who could repair it later.  Secondly, he killed the child because that child would become a criminal when he grew up.  His parents were very pious and this child would cause them a lot of grief.  Allah commanded Al-Khidr to kill the child and thus prevent him from growing up and indulging in evil, saving him from hellfire.  Thirdly, under the leaning wall was a treasure belonging to the two orphan children.  If the wall fell down, the treasure would be exposed and the corrupt people of that town would have grabbed it, depriving the orphans of their rightful wealth.  Al-Khidr mentioned that he did not act on his own but did as he was commanded by Allah.

And only Allah is the source of all knowledge and truth ..  Allah-o-Alim

Surah Al-Kahf (18:60-82)

60. And when Moses said unto his servant: I will not give up until I reach the point where the two rivers meet, though I march on for ages.

61. And when they reached the point where the two met, they forgot their fish, and it took its way into the waters, being free.

62. And when they had gone further, he said unto his servant: Bring us our breakfast. Verily we have found fatigue in this our journey.

63. He said: Didst thou see, when we took refuge on the rock, and I forgot the fish - and none but Satan caused me to forget to mention it - it took its way into the waters by a marvel.

64. He said: This is that which we have been seeking. So they retraced their steps again.

65. Then found they one of Our slaves, unto whom We had given mercy from Us, and had taught him knowledge from Our presence.

66. Moses said unto him: May I follow thee, to the end that thou mayst teach me right conduct of that which thou hast been taught ?

67. He said: Lo! thou canst not bear with me.

68. How canst thou bear with that whereof thou canst not compass any knowledge ?

69. He said: Allah willing, thou shalt find me patient and I shall not in aught gainsay thee.

70. He said: Well, if thou go with me, ask me not concerning aught till I myself make mention of it unto thee.

71. So they twain set out till, when they were in the ship, he made a hole therein. (Moses) said: Hast thou made a hole therein to drown the folk thereof ? Thou verily hast done a dreadful thing.

72. He said: Did I not tell thee that thou couldst not bear with me ?

73. (Moses) said: Be not wroth with me that I forgot, and be not hard upon me for my fault.

74. So they twain journeyed on till, when they met a lad, he slew him. (Moses) said: What! Hast thou slain an innocent soul who hath slain no man ? Verily thou hast done a horrid thing.

75. He said: Did I not tell thee that thou couldst not bear with me ?

76. (Moses) said: If I ask thee after this concerning aught, keep not company with me. Thou hast received an excuse from me.

77. So they twain journeyed on till, when they came unto the folk of a certain township, they asked its folk for food, but they refused to make them guests. And they found therein a wall upon the point of falling into ruin, and he repaired it. (Moses) said: If thou hadst wished, thou couldst have taken payment for it.

78. He said: This is the parting between thee and me! I will announce unto thee the interpretation of that thou couldst not bear with patience.

79. As for the ship, it belonged to poor people working on the river, and I wished to mar it, for there was a king behind them who is taking every ship by force.

80. And as for the lad, his parents were believers and we feared lest he should oppress them by rebellion and disbelief.

81. And we intended that their Lord should change him for them for one better in purity and nearer to mercy.

82. And as for the wall, it belonged to two orphan boys in the city, and there was beneath it a treasure belonging to them, and their father had been righteous, and thy Lord intended that they should come to their full strength and should bring forth their treasure as a mercy from their Lord; and I did it not upon my own command. Such is the interpretation of that wherewith thou couldst not bear.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 06:44:44 am »

brother persian's comments would be appreciated ..
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 03:01:04 am »

Salaam Alaikum to all ..  br. steve's lecture seems to be very explicit and explains the story well.  but u r right zeynab, the name al-khidr isn't mentioned in the Quran.  Joshua's name is also not mentioned along with a few other smaller details.  i wouldn't know the source of these.  i don't recall coming across it in any hadith.  i think a google search would give some information as to how much of such details are given in the new testament.

of course, Allah knows best
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: