Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
April 20, 2024, 10:20:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Those residing in London (England)

+-
Shoutbox
April 02, 2024, 07:27:22 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Details on Leila tul Qadr every Ramadan, links HERE.
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Those residing in London (England)  (Read 345 times)
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

Badges: (View All)
« on: April 14, 2008, 12:56:47 am »

BismEm

An important and interesting newsletter from Islamic Circles U.K. informs ..

A big debate is being presented by Islamic Circles, U.K. on April 18, 2008.  The topic of the debate will be - "What makes sense - Islam or Christianity?"  with Robert Scott (St. Helen's Church) Vs. Adam Deen (I Think Therefore Islam).

I quote the newsletter as follows:

THE BIG DEBATE: WHAT MAKES SENSE - ISLAM OR CHRISTIANITY ?

With Robert Scott (St Helen’s Church)*
Vs Adam Deen (I Think Therefore Islam)*

Date: Friday 18th April 2008
Time: 6pm - 8pm
Venue: Lecture Room B35,Basemement, Birkbeck College,
Malet Street, Bloomsbury, London WC1E 7HX

According to the recent report from the Vatican, Islam has now surpassed Roman Catholicism as the world's largest Religion. However when considering all Christians and not just Catholics, Christians are still the largest in numbers but declining in the long run.

Since both faiths are missionary in nature, most of humanity may have two choices, Islam or Christianity. So what makes sense ? Join us for an evening of lively debate and discussion with two passionate propagators of their respective faith battle it out.

*Robert Scott has been working at St Helen’s Church, Bishopsgate, London for the last few years – coordinating the support for St Helen’s missionaries, teaching the Bible to international students

*Adam Deen is a former Islam channel presenter and intellectual activist who has been working in the field of Muslim apologetics for almost a decade. He has contributed to debates on issues ranging from ethics, to religious philosophy and theology.  He is currently completing a degree in Philosophy at
Birbeck University .

All welcome and free entrance

For more information please contact:
Tel: 07092 032 136
E-mail: debates@islamiccircles.org
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

shahidah

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 01:30:55 pm »

Thanks it sounds like a good debate will emerge, unfortunately i can not go as its too far, i wonder if they do show it on any of the religious channels.

Is islam channel availabe in north america?
Shahidah
Report Spam   Logged
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 05:56:05 pm »

Thanks it sounds like a good debate will emerge, unfortunately i can not go as its too far, i wonder if they do show it on any of the religious channels.

Is islam channel availabe in north america?
Shahidah

Salaams and hi sister Shahidah.  I pray you and your family are doing fine.  Yes, I too think it's gonna be an interesting debate.  Sorry u cannot make it.  Although this debate has free entrance, it's two hours long.  So I don't think they'll show it on tv ..  maybe just the highlights for a few minutes.   

In North America there are two religious channels where they show Islamic lectures on Saturdays.  However, the lecture programs are never beyond half hour in duration.  They cannot afford longer programs cause it's too costly.  Most Muslim organizations who sponsor the lectures are short of funds.  They depend entirely on public donations and get no help from the govt.  One brother who's been delivering lectures for 30 minutes every Saturday since the last 5 years says that it costs him $9,000 a month to keep the show on the air.  Of course, that brother is a prosperous businessman and also gets sufficient donations.  But still the monthly cost seems too high. 

A similar debate was held here in 2005.  I went to watch it and was very interesting.  The Catholic debator was totally defeated.  He couldn't handle any of the points raised by the Muslim brother.  I'm glad I attended it because they didn't show it on tv.  Moreover, the Londoners are lucky that this upcoming debate is free.  The one here was $20 per person. 
Report Spam   Logged

shahidah

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 02:28:20 pm »

Thank you very much, my family are all fine and my eldest daughter is doing her year  SATS, she is only 10 but the paper is quite demanding.

On satelite TV we get islam channel its a free to view channel, it is so so good.   Many american scholors regulary appear such as yusuf estes, Bilal Philips, Yassir Qadhri,  good for a person like me who needs to be reminded about the value of religion etc. as I can get lazy.   There is also a regular programme on islam channel called muslimah dilema , and another called  city sisters.  you may be able to watch it on the internet, you will like it if you watched it.

I dont know if you have heard of the global peace and unity event, it is a largest event of muslim gathering of its kind in the world (hope it makes sense)  Lots of prominent speakers and nasheed artists etc that too get televised.   

As for the talk, i know both sides will make good points, and the good thing of catholics and christian is that they do always listen and reason.   Perhaps this is why there are many reverts to islam.   May Allah guide and protect us all.

Take care and hope it warms up for you soon in Canada.     
Report Spam   Logged
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 07:05:05 pm »

Thank you very much, my family are all fine and my eldest daughter is doing her year  SATS, she is only 10 but the paper is quite demanding.

On satelite TV we get islam channel its a free to view channel, it is so so good.   Many american scholors regulary appear such as yusuf estes, Bilal Philips, Yassir Qadhri,  good for a person like me who needs to be reminded about the value of religion etc. as I can get lazy.   There is also a regular programme on islam channel called muslimah dilema , and another called  city sisters.  you may be able to watch it on the internet, you will like it if you watched it.

I dont know if you have heard of the global peace and unity event, it is a largest event of muslim gathering of its kind in the world (hope it makes sense)  Lots of prominent speakers and nasheed artists etc that too get televised.   

As for the talk, i know both sides will make good points, and the good thing of catholics and christian is that they do always listen and reason.   Perhaps this is why there are many reverts to islam.   May Allah guide and protect us all.

Take care and hope it warms up for you soon in Canada.     

Wa'Salaam sister.  Nice to know all of u r fine.  I pray for your daughter's success in her s.a.t.s test.  If I'm not mistaken, the Standard Assessment Tasks (national cirriculum tests) first began in UK in the 1990s for 6 and 7-year-olds at the end of key stages.  Now I suppose the age bracket ranges from 7 to 14.  It's a good idea but they shouldn't overdo it.  Children under 16 musn't be burdened with too many assignments and tests, and certainly not at a time when summer is just around the corner.  As a  little girl and a teenager, I studied in a convent.  My memories are really bitter!  Those nuns were such tyrants, to put it mildly.  I'm glad the atmosphere is different in schools now.  In North America it's a bit too relaxed.  Most kids aren't even required to wear uniforms and neither r they given any home assignments .... maybe just a project or two during the long summer vacations.

As for the Islamic programs on tv, I watch cable not satellite .. though satellite is very common here with a greater variety.  The 2 channels that air Muslim programs are Vision TV (or the Mosiac channel, as they call it) and the Faith channel.  These r basically interfaith channels.  Each of them host 2 Muslim talk shows on Saturdays and one on Sunday.  One of them is hosted by Br. Shabir Ally, who's by far the most rational, cool & well-read speaker I've known.  While I haven't heard of Yasir Qadri, I've watached Bilal Philips and Yusuf Estes many times.  Bilal Phlips is Canadian who was the head of the Islamic Studies deptt at the university of Dubai.  Don't know if he's still there.  I enjoy listening to Yusuf Estes.  You'll find one interesting lecture of his here, in our forum.  By the Grace of Almighty Allah, my faith is now strong and my vision cyrstal clear.  Therefor, I feel I've crossed the stage to feel too dependent upon people for reminders.  But I'm very dependent upon Allah for reminders for which I always have the Noble Quraan for immediate references. 

Furthermore, in North America, off television activities in the Muslim community are far more frequent.    The Islamic Institute of Canada, CAIR Canada, the Islamic Info Center etc. arrange a series of programs throughout the year with regular email notifications to subscribers.  These programs include Quraan tafsir classes, Arabic classes, lectures, in-house cricket, karate classes, dinner & entertainment etc. .. and of course special ones for Ramadan, Eid-al-Fitr and Eid-al-Adha.

And yeah .. it's warmed up here, at last.  Thank God.  Daytime highs are between 10 to 15C.  But nights are still chilly when heating needs to be switched on.

May Allah bless and protect all of u.   Take lots of care Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: