Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 19, 2024, 05:10:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Jinn in the Noble Quran

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Jinn in the Noble Quran  (Read 4297 times)
Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 08:26:59 am »

Didn't know of this Somalia story either.   Yes it could be partly true.  But Economist has mixed it up with pieces of its own fantasies to amuse readers.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2019, 12:24:32 am »

Btw, briefly touching the hadith's jinn & bathroom issue again ....

Some hadithists also use Verse 7:27 to refer to jinn in the bathroom.

"O Children of Adam!  Let not Satan seduce you as he caused your (first) parents to go forth from the Garden and tore off from them their robe (of innocence) that he might manifest their shame to them.   Indeed! he sees you, he and his tribe, from whence you see him not.  Indeed! We have made the devils protecting friends for those who believe not."  (7:27)  Surah Al-Araf.

My reply to them:  Stop fabricating folks.  This Verse does not allude to jinn hiding in the bathroom or garbage dumps.  In this Verse, Allah Almighty is warning and advising us on the importance of fighting off Satan's temptations.   Satan and his friends are silently clever in enticing humans to the path of sin.  They lure humans in such a way that unless their Faith is truly strong, they are unable to grasp nor perceive the evil they are invited to. 

Furthermore, the underlined portion of Verse 7:27 may also have been utilized by extra-Quranic sources to refer to a jinn qareen accompanying every human.  But again, Verse 7:27 does not refer to that at all.  This simply means that just as Allah Almighty is the Protector of the true believers, Satan and his friends are the protectors of disbelievers and hypocrites.

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2019, 12:29:01 am »

Yes of course, that's very well said Sister Heba. 

I'm just wondering, how did hadith twist around the misinterpretation to claim the "jinn living in bathrooms" connection with Verse 7:27?    Absolutely NO connection between that hadith concept and Verse 7:27.

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2019, 12:41:19 am »

Shokran and thanko to all my dearest folks.   Answer to my query and beyond, this is a great thread.  Alhumdulilah.

To all our guest readers, if you folks really want to know the truth about jinn, this is the thread you must explore.  Also look up the related posts.  You'll find every bit of info strictly in accordance with the contents of the Noble Quran.

-    Jinn not Ghosts
-    Why are Jinn categorized as paranormal?
-    Do Quranic recitations drive away evil jinn and Satan?
-    Difference between Jinn (true) and Ghost (false)
-    Allah Almighty confirmed Iblees is of the Jinn
-    Hadith views on Jinn not compatible with the Noble Quran
-    Can Jinn possess humans?
-    Does the word "jinn" have more than one definition in the Quran?

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2019, 11:38:18 am »

BismEm

"And [mention, O Muhammad], when We directed to you a few of the jinn, listening to the Qur'an.   And when they attended it, they said, "Listen quietly." And when it was concluded, they went back to their people as warners."   (46:29)

"They said, "O our people, indeed we have heard a [recited] Book revealed after Moses confirming what was before it which guides to the truth and to a straight path."   (46:30)

Okay ...... now tell me something folks.  In Verses 29 and 30 of Surah Al-Ahqaf, is the reference to jinn (the elemental spirit) or to foreigners.  Pickthall's commentary says that in old Arabic the term "jinn" can also mean foreigners.  And since, in Verse 30 of this Surah, the jinn mentioned the name of Prophet Moses (pbuh), some readers have opined that these were a Jewish group of people who came from some other land.

Also, if they were the actual jinn and not just foreign humans, did they meet the Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) face to face?   I mean, did the Prophet know while meeting them that these were jinn and not humans?

Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2019, 11:54:09 am »

No, I think these Verses refer to the real jinn, the elemental spirit.  The fact that one of the jin spoke of Prophet Moses respectfully apparently indicates that these jinn were submitters.  They believed in the former original Divine Scriptures, and so they recognized the Noble Quran as having the same Divine Source.

During his mission and while running the first Islamic state, the Prophet (pbuh) used to receive many delegations coming  to listen to Quranic recitations and to discuss the Quran.   Obviously, I would think, these jinn were in the presence of the Prophet (pbuh) and very likely the Prophet saw them as a group or in a crowd.  But whether or not the Prophet knew they were jinn is not possible to answer.  Only Allah would know that best.  After the revelation of these Verses of course the Prophet (pbuh) knew that there were some jinn present among the audience during this day as confirmed by Allah.   That's as much as can be known.

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2019, 12:13:56 pm »

I too think they were the real jinn, not human foreigners. 

Also I would opine at that time the Prophet (pbuh) couldn't have known they were jinn until the revelation of Verses 46:29-30.  The reason being that when jinn appear before humans, they appear in very much the human form.

The aspect of meeting 'face to face' can have two interpretations - either meeting / seeing the jinn who were present in a crowd consisting of jinn and humans  OR specifically meeting a group of jinn with eye to eye contact.  Which of the two possibilities was true is only known to Allah.

As usual, hadith has made many stories on these Verses that are apparently baseless.  According to hadith, the Prophet (pbuh) met them 'face to face' (the eye to eye reference) and knew they were jinn.   But there is no evidence in these Verses to confirm these points. 

Quoting two hadith narrations linked with Verses 46:29-30:

"About one of these deputations Hadrat Abdullah bin Masud relates: "One day the Holy Prophet remained missing from Makkah for the whole night. We could not know his whereabouts and feared he might have been attacked by somebody. Early in the morning we saw him coming from the direction of Hira. On inquiring he said that a jinn had come to invite him and he had accompanied him and recited the Qur'an to a gathering of them there." (Muslim, Musnad Ahmad, Tirmidhi, Abu Da'ud).

"Hadrat Abdullah bin Masud has related another tradition, saying: "Once the Holy Prophet asked his Companions in Makkah as to which of them would accompany him that night to meet the jinns. I became ready to go with him. At a place in the upper quarters of Makkah the Holy Prophet drew a line and told me not to cross it. Then he went forward and stood and began to recite the Qur'an. I saw that a number of the people had gathered around him and they stood between me and him."' (Ibn Jarir, Baihaqi: Dala`il an-Nubuwwat, Abu Nu`aim Isfahani: Dale Il an-Nubuwuat).

The above stories, and several other similar ones, are not reliable at all.  There are no Quranic references to such events.

Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2019, 12:19:13 pm »

@ brother TS.  Interesting bit.  Just look how distant the hadith has stretched its stories ......
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2019, 12:21:23 pm »

That helped me to understand very well.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2021, 05:31:40 pm »

Salams my dear MV folks ... sisters and brother 😑

I don't know if we've touched this aspect somewhere in this topic .... but one sister in our weekly virtual meeting was asking why don't non-Muslims believe in jinn? ... even Jews and Christians don't know the reality of jinn.  They talk about 'ghosts' which is the real myth but the reality of jinn they don't know.   Why?

Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2021, 06:58:39 pm »

Walaikum Salam Sister.     I think we have taken this aspect in our post but I'm not sure.   Perhaps in the post, Jinn not 'ghost.'  But I can again discuss the basic points here, Insh'Allah.   

The concept of 'ghost' is a false pagan belief claiming that the soul of the deceased returns to earth.   This has been flatly refuted in the Noble Quran:

"Until, when death comes unto one of them, he says:  My Rab!  Send me back,
That I may do right in that which I have left behind!  But nay!  It is but a word that he speaks; and behind them is a barrier until the day when they are raised."   (23:99-100) Surah Al-Muminun.

This Verse asserts that the souls of those who have passed into the permanent world CANNOT return, and uses the term "barrier" or "partition" (in Quran Arabic  بَرزَخُ  or "barzakhun") which the man-written hadith literature has used in a very different sense that is unauthentic.

The problem with Jews and Christians is they don't have their original Scriptures.  Needless to say, the Old and New Testaments are completely altered by human hands, one-hundred percent.  One can be sure that their original Scriptures (the original Torah and Bible in the words of The Almighty) did mention about the jinn (as has the Noble Quran)  but no Jew or Christian knows their original Scripture any longer.   Thus, they only have a very faint and distorted concept of jinn in their culture, in a very light hearted manner like a joke referring to it as "jinni" which is only applicable in children's stories or comedies shows.  As far as the paranormal is concerned, they have gone back to the mythical ideology of the pre-Nasara (or pre-Christian) era of the Celts, Vikings, Barbarians, Anglo Saxons etc. which were hardcore pagan communities steeped in different mythologies and superstitions.   The idea of "ghosts" or the soul of the deceased coming back to visit earth originates from those pagan thoughts based on guesswork.  It also exists in pagan culture of the Hindus and Buddhists.   Thus, at present, Jews and Christians, like other pagans know nothing about the real existence of Jinn.  Instead, citings of jinn are commonly misinterpreted as "ghosts" or 'paranormal.' 

In pre-Islamic Arabia however, I don't think they believed in 'ghosts' even at that time.  That was probably because of the much earlier teachings of Prophet Ismail (Ishmael), son of Prophet Ibraheem (Abraham) [peace on them], both of whom were firm Monotheists.   But with the passage of time (approximately between 2,500 and 3,000 years) the Arabian people corrupted the Monotheistic teachings of Prophet Ismail (pbuh) and by the time Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) was born in 570 A.D., Monotheism was completely distorted and destroyed by the Arabians who had by now turned into idolaters.  Therefore, the concept of jinn was also completely distorted and changed and made similar to myths and tales.  They believed jinn to be some sort of demonic spirit or poltergeist that resides in unclean places where garbage and fecal matters were dumped (and thus the false hadith notion that jinn dwell in washrooms).   Many of the idolaters also worshipped the jinn.  The ignorant ideas had variations, typical of the Days of Jahilya. 

Therefor,  pagans of all parts of the world followed their own concoctions about the supernatural.

It's only the Quran that clarifies this aspect.  Jinn, as a separate species, are created by The Almighty just as He created humans, animals etc.  Allah Almighty has disclosed to us the basic information about the existence of the jinn which has been covered in this thread.   

Unfortunately, many traditional Muslim sources (mainly because of the falsifications of Hadith) have woven unfounded stories about the jinn similar to ancient times NOT warranted by the Quran.  All such falsifications must be trashed.

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2021, 08:30:02 pm »

That's a helpful overview.   

I guess the concepts of demons, poltergeists, witchcraft, the evil eye, harbored by many non-Muslims are basically the corruption of the presence of jinn.

While the Noble Quran does convey that jinn can appear similar to humans (the event of Prophet Abraham's guests in the Noble Quran), I cannot recall any Verse conveying  that jinn can change themselves into different forms.  Focusing on the former that jinn do or can appear as humans, and excluding the hadith narrations, I've known people who have seriously recounted their experiences with jinn, many earnestly and soberly think they met a "person" who was quite definitely a jinn.  Something out of the ordinary that "person" or the nature of the encounter convinces them about it.   Those who have had such experiences haven't mentioned any particular reason to fear jinn, the type of fear which is synonymous with the non-Muslim idea of "paranormal."  But they have mentioned about a feeling of uneasiness which was obviously because they already had a distinct feeling that the "person" wasn't a human being ... which should not necessarily be taken in a derogatory sense. 

Secondly, we do know for sure, that jinn (unlike humans) can travel much faster in split seconds perhaps as discussed in the post I can only assume it was a jinn but Allah knows best.  This is clearly indicated in Verse 27:39-40 of Surah An-Naml about the jinn that worked Prophet Solomon, when he asked for the throne of the queen - that queen  was most likely the ruler of southern Arabia, today known as Yemen, and according to extra-Quranic stories she is known as Queen of Sheba.  Perhaps 'Sheba' was the ancient name of southern Arabia prior to being known as 'Arabia Felix' and later, Yemen.  And since she did embrace Monotheism (submission or Islam) after the positive influence of Prophet Solomon, that may explain why many Arab Semite Jews in medieval times resided in southern Arabia (Yemen).   Several of them may have been the descendants of time of that queen who gradually distorted the faith, claiming Prophet Solomon to be a "Jew."  In reality, Prophet Solomon was not a Jew nor a Christian, he was simply a Monotheist or a submitter or a Muslim which is the Arabic translation of submitter.   

Anyhow, the above historical details are known best only to Allah.  Coming back to the point, the information in Verse 27:39-40 of Surah An-Naml is truly interesting.

"A stalwart of the jinn said: I will bring it you before you can rise from your place.   Indeed!  I verily am strong and trusty for such work.  Said one who had knowledge from the Scripture, 'I will bring it to you before your glance returns to you.' And when [Solomon] saw it placed before him, he said, 'This is from the favor of my Rab to test me whether I will be grateful or ungrateful ....' "    27:39-40.

Reading the above Verse, we can be certain that jinn can handle certain matters in a way impossible for humans ... just as, I guess, the intellect of humans cannot is superior to that of the jinn.  But only Allah knows best.

Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2021, 08:37:28 pm »

Your wrap up is amazing Sis .... Alhumdulilah and Mash'Allah.  Much better than mine.    Just about all the points you reiterated are confirmed in the Noble Quran.   The only thing we don't know because the Noble Quran does not say it is whether or not jinn can change their form and appear as different living beings e.g. jinn changing itself and passing off as a cat or a dog or a monkey etc. to dupe the onlookers for whatever reasons.  This aspect is certainly not in the Quran, yet there are folks who think it does happen ... I don't know why.   Frankly I haven't met anyone nor have I had any such experience myself that may prompt me to wonder something like this might be true.  Nothing to support that at all. 
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2021, 08:48:39 pm »

O thank me Sis!   😊   Yeah exactly, that particular point about jinn able to change themselves into whatever form they wish is un-Quranic as I haven't found any Verse referring to it let alone confirming it.  Jinn can appear to look like humans for sure, and probably can also make themselves invisible which is obviously the reason very few people actually get to meet or see jinn.  Also the issue on jinn possessing humans which many believe is not in the Quran.  Jinn do lure or tempt humans (that is, the bad jinn, just like bad humans) but the Quran does not mention about them possessing humans.

Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2021, 08:49:59 pm »

Right on again Sis!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: