Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 04:53:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Why did Imam Bukhari disallow gold and silk for men and perfume for women?

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Why did Imam Bukhari disallow gold and silk for men and perfume for women?  (Read 7705 times)
Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

Badges: (View All)
« on: December 01, 2006, 05:03:13 am »

BismEm
salamem everyone

An excellent excerpt from Brother Hafeez Kazi's analysis.  No Hadeeth adherents have been able to comment on this.  So I'm postng it here, in case any member or guest desire to debate on it.

Quote:

This prohibition of gold, silk and perfume is not found in the Quran.  Allah (Subhanu Wa'tala) has set no such rules.

Forbidden unto you (for food) are carrion and blood and swineflesh, and that which hath been dedicated unto any other than Allah, and the strangled, and the dead through beating, and the dead through falling from a height, and that which hath been killed by (the goring of) horns, and the devoured of wild beasts, saving that which ye make lawful (by the death-stroke), and that which hath been immolated unto idols. And (forbidden is it) that ye swear by the divining arrows. This is an abomination. This day are those who disbelieve in despair of (ever harming) your religion; so fear them not, fear Me! This day have I perfected your religion for you and completed My favour unto you, and have chosen for you as religion al-Islam. Whoso is forced by hunger, not by will, to sin: (for him) lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful. (5:3)

PERFECTION MEANS NO ROOM FOR ADDITION OR DELETION

And (I come) confirming that which was before me of the Torah, and to make lawful some of that which was forbidden unto you. I come unto you with a sign from your Lord, so keep your duty to Allah and obey me. 3:50

CAME TO MAKE LAWFUL WHAT WAS FORBIDDEN BEFORE WITH A PROOF AND NOT VICE VERSA

Those who follow the messenger, the Prophet who can neither read nor write, whom they will find described in the Torah and the Gospel (which are) with them. He will enjoin on them that which is right and forbid them that which is wrong. He will make lawful for them all good things and prohibit for them only the foul; and he will relieve them of their burden and the fetters that they used to wear. Then those who believe in him, and honour him, and help him, and follow the light which is sent down with him: they are the successful. 7:157

PROPHET FORBIDDING WHAT IS EVIL AND PROHIBITING WHAT IS BAD: Is gold and silk, evil and bad?

Say: Who hath forbidden the adornment of Allah which He hath brought forth for His bondmen, and the good things of His providing ? Say: Such, on the Day of Resurrection, will be only for those who believed during the life of the world. Thus do we detail Our revelations for people who have knowledge.
(7:32)

Prophet himself saying" who has forbidden the beautiful gifts which Allah has produced for his slaves. No share for disbelievers in the hereafter and not vice versa. This verse is totally contradicting with the Hadith. Which narration should the Muslims uphold? Which book should the Muslims follow, the authentic book of Allah or the fake and fabricated books of Bukhari and others.

Say: My Lord forbiddeth only indecencies, such of them as are apparent and such as are within, and sin and wrongful oppression, and that ye associate with Allah that for which no warrant hath been revealed, and that ye tell concerning Allah that which ye know not.
7:33

THE FORBIDDEN LIST IS MENTIONED IN VERSE 7:33 READ CAREFULLY

Say: Come, bring your witnesses who can bear witness that Allah forbade (all) this. And if they bear witness, do not thou bear witness with them. Follow thou not the whims of those who deny Our revelations, those who believe not in the Hereafter and deem (others) equal with their Lord.
6:150

BRING WITNESS WHO FOLLOWS HADITH, IN WHICH BOOK ALLAH HAS FORBIDDEN GOLD AND SILK FOR MEN

Say: Have ye considered what provision Allah hath sent down for you, how ye have made of it lawful and unlawful ? Hath Allah permitted you, or do ye invent a lie concerning Allah ? 10:59

DID HADITEHRS TOOK PERMISSION FROM ALLAH TO FORBID THINGS OF THEIR CHOICE.

And speak not, concerning that which your own tongues qualify (as clean or unclean), the falsehood: "This is lawful, and this is forbidden," so that ye invent a lie against Allah. Lo! those who invent a lie against Allah will not succeed. 16:116

WHY HAS THE PROSPERITY OF MUSLIMS COME TO A HALT?  NEEDS  SERIOUS THINKING

O Prophet! Why bannest thou that which Allah hath made lawful for thee, seeking to please thy wives ? And Allah is Forgiving, Merciful. 66:1

(Prophet is warned for forbidding that, which Allah has made lawful)

Obey Allah and obey the messenger, and beware! But if ye turn away, then know that the duty of Our messenger is only plain conveyance (of the message). 5:92

Then, if they turn away, thy duty (O Muhammad) is but plain conveyance (of the message).
16:82

But if ye deny, then nations have denied before you. The messenger is only to convey (the message) plainly. 29:18

Obey Allah and obey His messenger; but if ye turn away, then the duty of Our messenger is only to convey (the message) plainly. 64:12

THE DUTY OF THE PROPHET IS TO PREACH, TO PROCLAIM AND CONVEY THE MESSAGE OF ALLAH. AND NOT TO FORBID THE LAWFUL THINGS OF ALLAH

Thus have We appointed unto every prophet an adversary - devils of humankind and jinn who inspire in one another plausible discourse through guile. If thy Lord willed, they would not do so; so leave them alone with their devising; 6:112

A message for Hadith followers from Allah

The last verse to clear the misconceptions of Muslims

Say: I find not in that which is revealed unto me aught prohibited to an eater that he eat thereof, except it be carrion, or blood poured forth, or swineflesh - for that verily is foul - or the abomination which was immolated to the name of other than Allah. But whoso is compelled (thereto), neither craving nor transgressing, (for him) lo! thy Lord is Forgiving, Merciful. 6:145

Anything lawful or unlawful and prohibited has to be in the Quran. In the above verse Prophet is himself saying that what they claim as forbidden is not found in the message received by him through inspiration. How can Prophet ban gold and silk when it is not sanctioned by Allah. Allah's SYSTEM is perfected so no question of addition or deletion. And moreover, what is bad in gold and silk that Prophet would ban for male Muslims. After reading the above Hadith any sane Muslim would comprehend that they are all fake and fabricated.

Unquote:

P.S.  The ahadeeth banning gold and silk are quoted further up in the next post on this thread.  It should have been quoted at the beginning to this article.  But I made a mistake in copying & pasting.  Sorry for that.  ..
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

mohie

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 09:57:00 pm »

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

I am new to the forum and as I always do, I will give myself this week to read the topics being discussed to understand the forum.  Let me present myself:

I am a consultant currently living in Toronto (Etobicoke). I studied Islamic sharia. I speak Arabic (my first language).

Mohieddin
Report Spam   Logged
Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 03:04:28 am »

BismEm
 wsalam

Welcome brother mohie.  may Allah reward u for your wisdom and efforts.  i hope u get the time to go thru our posts and post yr comments.  that's the purpose of this message board  teethsmile

and i wud like to take this opportunity to say one more thing.  those of our brothers and sisters who have acquired academic diplomas or degrees in Islamic studies are indeed admirable.  however, we must also remember that the comparision between an "scholar" in Islamic studies and a self read Muslim is not the same as that between a teacher of physics, chemistry or geography and his student. 

a truly educated person in the sight of Allah is the one whose grasped the rope of Allah's guidance best.  there is no hard & fast rule that only "schoars" grasp Allah's guidance best.  besides, every human being is entitled to reach out to Allah and get close to Him.  it's all  a matter of the heart.  we don't need any academic excellence to acquire devotion for Allah in our hearts.  i'm sure u get my point

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 03:46:30 am »

wsalam and Alhumdulilah  great post sis Heba ..  brother Hafeez is one of my favorite writers.  his analysis is really brilliant.  i'll respond a little more to this tomorrow, InshAllah.  bedtime now ..  teethsmile   bedtem
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 03:55:04 am »

Wa Salam and thanks for this input, sister Heba.  it's truly enlightening. 

We want sunnah of the our Prophet (SAAW) but "sunnah" of the imams and mullahs is endlessly ruining the ummah.  Ya Allah, have mercy.

I have read several ahadith saying women can't use perfume.  It doesn't just stop there, but women using perfumes are compared to prostitutes and adultresses.  Perhaps the hadithists are trying to say that the best wife is a real smelly one.   As a Muslim, I know for sure that that's totally senseless.

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 05:18:23 am »

salamemand hi to all

The point I wanted to mention the other evening but was too sleepy to write was as follows.

I've learnt that there are many hadeeth adherents who at heart realize the numerous discrepancies of hadeeth.  Yet they prefer overlooking them purposely because they feel that they would be guilty of sinning in case these narrations are authentic.  Hence, to be on the 'safer side,' their motto is "let's accept it." 

Apart from the fact that this logic is calculated and selfish, what they don't grasp is that their argument can even be construed the other way round which is the actual violation and a pretty serious one.  These people are giving the same status to human narrations as should be given only to Divine Revelations.   Allah (The Most High) says in the Quran about His Message: "Bethink you: If it is from Allah and you reject it - Who is further astray than one who is at open feud (with Allah) ?" (41:52) Surah Fussilat.  This is only in regard to the Quran.

But as for questioning human narrations, particularly narrations with such a history of deceit as the Hadeeth and the altered bibles, Allah has given no such instructions for retribution.  In fact, again, it's the other way round.  In various verses of the Quran (some of which quoted by brother Kazi in the original post), Allah has clearly expressed His displeasure over people who readily embrace hearsay or stories circulated by other folks and give such stories the same or greater importance, respect and status as the Divine Words.  This is very obviously the attitude of the mainstream Muslims of today concerning the Hadeeth culture.  May Allah (SWT) grant guidance to such people.

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 03:31:27 am »

i have read several ahadith saying women can't use perfume.  and it doesn't just stop there, but women using perfumes are compared to prostitutes and adultresses.  perhaps the mullahs are tryin to say that the best Muslim wife is a real smelly one ..

Salaam Sister Ruhi ..

LOL, I've also often thought the same.  Can it really be that these imams and shieks want the women of their households to smell bad?  The assumption automatically becomes a possibility after reading this hadeeth because smelling nice has been condemned, but there are no such condemnations for smelling bad.  So, is smelling bad preferable to smelling nice?  .... because in the case of many folks a bit of attar or perfume helps neutralize bad body odor. 

Besides all this, just imagine how much it contradicts the Quran.  The blind judgment of the perfume hadeeth equates women who use fragrance to adultresses and whores, meaning anyone with fragrance on their persons are no different from such women. 

But the Quran says in Surah An-Nur that those who wrongly accuse good women of immorality should be punished and their testimony must never be accepted again, Alhamdulilah.  This makes it possible that imam bukhari never read the Quran .. or if he did, he diobeyed it.  According to Quranic principles, using perfume does not make a woman immoral.  That depends on her conduct while interacting with non-mahrem men regardless of how nice or how bad she smells.

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 04:13:46 am »

At one time, some years ago when I wasn't much of a thinker and got a bit swayed by hadithist circles, I used to think maybe there's something not right about aromas, pleasant smells and fragrances .... but couldn't figure out what or why?

I wondered many times that using fragrance, far from being associated with immorality, is actually a sign of good hygiene.  If a woman wears some attar or perfume from her personal likeness for fragrances, how can this ever be defined as a sin or something Haram?  On the contrary, if a man gets attracted by merely smelling a woman's perfume and then starts harassing her, would any sane law even consider blaming the woman instead of catching that reprobate and giving him a sound thrashing?  Analogically, if you're walking down the street and a pickpocket steals your wallet, try to catch and apprehend the thief or stop carrying your wallet?  But it was pointless mentioning these rational aspects to my former hadithist circle.  Staying away from them is the only choice of a person who cares for the guidance of Allah.

The simple and very logical points put forth by you folks with the Sublime Qur'an as the ONLY Criterion, has really awakened me.  All praise be to Allah Almighty.  May He continue to guide all of us.  Ameen.

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2019, 11:31:34 pm »

....... Analogically, if you're walking down the street and a pickpocket steals your wallet, try to catch and apprehend the thief or stop carrying your wallet?  But it was pointless mentioning these rational aspects to my former hadithist circle.  Staying away from them is the only choice of a person who cares for the guidance of Allah.

Exactly.  I mean, we're talking about simply using a bit of fragrance ....... and look at the ruckus created.

The other day one of my husband's cousins who is that sort of unreasonable hadithist said women using perfume that can be smelt by non-mahrem men is a "major sin" and she's no different from and an "adultress."   Then he added, women can only use perfume to please their husbands.  According to him, this was the new ruling of jurists.  This implies they can only wear fragrances at home.  You see, this is how one lie builds up over another. 

So my husband said, let's put it this way.  Husband and wife are going out to a decent dinner party at a friend's home.  Other guests - male and female - will also be there.  Husband is fond of perfume, he buys a gift of perfume for the wife and wishes that she uses it when the two of them attend the dinner.  When they arrive at the dinner, is the husband supposed to tell all the non-mahrem male guests to wear a nose mask so they don't smell his wife's perfume?  According to that hadithist, the wife shouldn't wear perfume while going out; she can only wear perfume at home.  His moronic statement didn't surprise us as he had already alluded to it earlier.   Crazy idiots!   We were rolling in the couch with laughter.

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2019, 11:39:04 pm »

~~  sigh, sigh  ~~

Cheesy

So the new hadith ruling gives the veto power on perfume to the husband.  It only keeps getting more ridiculous. 

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2019, 11:47:21 pm »

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: