Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 29, 2024, 11:36:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

How Hadith defenders try to justify the Hadiths on dogs

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: How Hadith defenders try to justify the Hadiths on dogs  (Read 900 times)
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

Badges: (View All)
« on: October 10, 2008, 10:36:41 pm »

We all know that treating dogs like outcasts or looking upon them as evil are wicked concepts that come solely from the Hadith.  The vicious manipulations of Mr. Bukhari and Mr. Muslim have today ostracized this very beautiful and faithful animal.  This is really sad.  I pray to Allah that the lies of these Hadith writers are dealt with in the Hereafter, InshAllah.

The Noble Quran says NOTHING negative about dogs.  On the contrary, in Surah Al-Kahf the Quran mentions about the dog in a very complimentary manner.  In fact, the Noble Quran is the only Scripture that clearly portrays dog as man's best friend.  For complete and most authentic information on this topic, check our post "What Islam says about dogs."

Hadith defenders have now picked up a new stance to defend the hadiths on dogs.  At the Muslim Defence website they've started by quoting the following two hadiths (aka lies).

[This site is now dysfunctional, nonetheless the contents are as follows]

The Prophet said, "Angels do not enter a house witch has either a dog or a picture in it."  (Sahih Bukhari Volume 4, Book 54, Number 539 - Narrated Abu Talha)

Abu Dharr reported: The Messenger of 'Allah (may peace be upon him) said: When any one of you stands for prayer and there is a thing before him equal to the back of the saddle that covers him and in case there is not before him (a thing) equal to the back of the saddle, his prayer would be cut off by (passing of an) ass, woman, and black Dog. I said: O Abu Dharr, what feature is there in a black dog which distinguish it from the red dog and the yellow dog? He said: O, son of my brother, I asked the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) as you are asking me, and he said: The black dog is a devil.  (Sahih Muslim, Book 004, Number 1032)

I don't know who this person is who's written the tafsir of these Hadiths in Muslim Defence website.  But while his Quranic tafsir on Verse 65:4 was correct, his Hadith explanations are full of wide cracks and gaping holes.  That's obviously because the originals of Hadith are filled with deep cracks to begin with.  He says that when Hadith (like the ones he's quoted above) declares dogs as evil or devilish, it refers to other animals of the 'dog family' such as hyenas, jackals and coyotes.  According to him, 1500 years ago hyneas, jackals and coyotes roamed in the deserts of Arabia and were known as "dogs."   He also goes on to say that since these animals were dangerous and would attack people, that's why the Hadith called them evil and gave permission to kill them.  He insists that Hadith does not refer to the usual domestic dog but it refers to hyenas, jackals etc. as "dogs."  Frankly, I don't buy this explanation.  In fact, it's hardly an explanation.  It's just a lame excuse.  Though in the 7th century, striped hyenas and jackals were reported to have been found in the Arabian deserts, however when Hadith mentions about 'dogs,' it doesn't refer to hyenas and jackals.  It refers to dogs specifically.  The two above Hadiths quoted by the writer in Muslim Defence site have been cleverly picked by this author because in these two Hadiths he has been able to twist the meaning of 'dogs' into hyenas, jackals and coyotes.  But there are other Hadiths that clearly refer to dogs, NOT hyenas and jackals etc. 

For example, check a few of the following Hadiths taken from the website of Muttaqun Online.
[This site is no longer available.  Just as well, it was full of rubbish].

Before you read these Hadiths, please keep in mind that these are the brainchild of Hadith writers.  The Prophet (pbuh) NEVER said such things.   Also, you will notice that apart from the hatred toward dogs displayed in these Hadiths, the ideology of these narrations is offensive and totally against the values of the Noble Quraan and the teachings of the Prophet (pbuh).

Gabriel made a promise with Allah's Messenger  to come at a definite hour; that hour came but he did not visit him. And there was in his hand (in the hand of Allah's Apostle) a staff. He threw it from his hand and said: Never has Allah or His messengers (angels) ever broken their promise. Then he cast a glance (and by chance) found a puppy under his cot and said: Aisha, when did this dog enter here ? She said: By Allah, I don't know. He then commanded and it was turned out. Then Gabriel came and Allah's Messenger  said to him: You promised me and I waited for you, but you did not come, whereupon he said: It was the dog in your house which prevented me (to come), for we (angels) do not enter a house in which there is a dog or a picture.

Please carefully read the underlined portions of the above Hadith.  Clearly this Hadith refers to the regular domestic dog, not hyenas or coyotes.  No one brings a hyena or a jackal inside their home.

One morning Allah's Messenger  was silent with grief. Maymunah said: Allah's Messenger, I find a change in your mood today. Allah's Messenger  said: Gabriel had promised me that he would meet me last night, but he did not meet me. By Allah, he never broke his promises; and Allah's Messenger  spent the day in this sad (mood). Then it occurred to him that there had been a puppy under their cot. He gave an order and it was turned out. He then took some water in his hand and sprinkled it on the place. When it was evening Gabriel met him and he said to him: You promised me that you would meet me the previous night. He said: Yes, but we do not enter a house in which there is a dog or a picture. So the very next morning he commanded the dogs to be killed. He announced that the dog kept for the orchards should also be killed, but he spared the dog used for the protection of extensive fields (or big gardens).

The above Hadith is much like the previous one but with some extra contents that again prove the Hadith hatred towards dogs, not hyenas or jackals.  The reference in the above Hadith for killing dogs means dogs and not hyenas.  It says that after Angel Gabriel complained about the dog in the Prophet's (pbuh) house, order was given to kill all dogs.  This Hadith further states that those dogs used for the protection of fields were spared by those used on orchards were also killed.  Obviously, the reference here is not to hyenas.  No one 'deputes' hyenas and jackals to take care of their fields and farms.  Only dogs do this job.

There are many more Hadiths on dogs in Muttaqun Online.  You can check them yourself.

I am sure you will easily sense that there are absolutely no references to hyenas, coyotes or jackals in these Hadiths.  They simply refer to dogs and black dogs.   

It is also interesting to note that this Muttaqun website puts the title "Dogs - According to Quran and Sunnah"  but the entire page only contains quotes from Hadith.  Not a single word is from the Noble Quran.  Thus, Muttaqun website on dogs even lies about its title. 
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 08:35:14 pm »

Very interesting post sister.  you always present & arrange your contents so well.  This is the first time I've read a hadith defender's rebuttal in defense of the hadith concept on dogs.  But since hadith so clearly points to pet dogs and not hyenas etc., his 'rescue operation' hasn't worked.  This also proves that there are some hadith followers, if not many, who do realise the countless discrepancies of hadith including those hadiths on dogs.

Thanks and salaams sister rose Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 03:02:16 am »

lol - this advocacy is quite hilarious  teethsmile  Actually even the hadith quoted by this author is a clear proof that the reference is to domestic pet dogs. 

"Angels do not enter a house witch which has either a dog or a picture in it."   

So .. is this hadith supposed to signify that people at that time used to keep hyenas in their houses?   Reading a set of literature as nonsensical as the hadith is bad enough.  It becomes just too disgusting when people try to defend it.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: