Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 07:46:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The reason I personally found many Ahadith disturbing

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: The reason I personally found many Ahadith disturbing  (Read 6860 times)
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

Badges: (View All)
« on: December 12, 2006, 03:30:39 am »

BismEm
 salamem

Briefly put, the Hadith institution is a liability rather than an asset.  Too full of forgeries.  NOT the words of our beloved Prophet (pbuh).  This is absolutely obvious.

I had been brought up as a traditional Muslimah, Alhamdulilah, deriving my spiritual and ethical knowledge only from the Glorious Quraan.  I read the English translations of Muhammad Marmaduke Pickthall and few other reliable English translators.  Since recently I'd been hearing much about Hadith from many segments of the Muslim community, so I thought of studying it too.  As all of you would know, Hadith is the alleged saying of the Prophet Muhammad as claimed by the Muslim clergy, but in reality it is not.  I studied the Sahih al-Bukhari thoroughly from cover to cover and parts of certain other collections as well.  Unfortunately and unexpectedly, I was very disappointed.  I became deeply disturbed by the contents of many of these Ahadith, to the extent that it robbed my sleep for many nights.  I found majority of them to be full of absurdities.  Most of them clearly contradict the Qur'aan, many are totally unnecessary, some are silly, some are funny and many sound vulgar & embarrassing.  Many clash with the emplemary character of the most beloved Prophet Muhammad, on whom be peace.  Of course, it goes without saying that the beloved Prophet (pbuh) never said such things.  What  boggles my mind is how can so many Muslims today take these narrations seriously by attributing them to the Prophet (pbuh), and implementing important laws based on such narrations that have clearly been constructed by the medieval and modern jurists to suit their own motives? 

Of course, I admit there are some good narrations as well which I truly like, ones compatible with the Glorious Quraan and the Prophet's (pbuh) humble temperament.  But the improper ones have shaken my trust considerably and I am not sure if I can give the benefit of the doubt for authenticity even to the good ones.  Thus, while the inappropriate ones should be discarded, the nicer ones can simply be retained as 'wise Islamic teachings by anonymous.  These should no doubt be retained for drawing ethical lessons and for beautifying our Islamic literature because, after all, nice words are always valuable no matter who says them.  But because the history of Hadith is so heavily tainted and immersed in controversy, no narrations (good or bad) should be attributed to the Prophet (pbuh).  Only Allah knows their actual source.  And the Almighty Allah says in the Quraan not to say or believe in matters about which we have no knowledge.  Surely, attributing wrong narrations to the Prophet (pbuh) would be a serious violation in the Sight of Allah Almighty (The Highest) and surely it would make the Prophet (pbuh) very unhappy. 

Besides, I've heard a great deal about 'isnads' or chain of narrators being manipulated too.  Furthermore, it's no difficult task for anyone to successfully contrive a false isnad to narrate untruthful contents.  Isnad is no satisfying reason for recognizing a narration as authentic. I've come across many narrations declared "authentic" by our "scholars" but their contents are such that no one in their right mind can accept them.  To know more on Isnad, check the post Ever Thought of the Fallibility of 'Isnad' ??

The good hadith sound very nice, but the bad ones sound really very bad.  The problem with hadith begins when you start reading the collections systematically, chapter by chapter.  The hardliners say that we must believe in all the "sahih" ahadith. This means believing in the bad ones too because there are tons of very bad ahadith passed on as "sahih."  I already stated I cannot accept that.

There's yet another important aspect to reflect upon.  Even if a few ahadith are found unauthentic or absurd in the entire set of all collections, it would be enough to shake the trust of people.  If something is based on truth with a straight intent of conveying the truth and nothing but the truth, there ought to be no cracks anywhere.  Of course we cannot say this about hadith because there are not just a 'few' ahadith that are absurd, rather patently untrue, but by far the majority are in this category.   A few good ones cannot cover up for those thousands of bad ones.

Besides, we cannot just quote the good ones and slip the bad ones under the carpet.  This is not the way 'guidance' is supposed to present itself to people.  If we really value a collection of writings or narrations, we should be proud of every word of it .. just like we are proud of every single Ayah of the Glorious Qur'aan .. it's contents, it's uniformity, eloquence, and the honesty and beauty with which it presents the truth.  But it's the opposite with the Hadith.  I've very often come across people circulating handpicked narrations of Hadith, making sure they select the best ones to avoid embarrassment, and hiding the disgusting ones.  So how can one be expected to trust the institution of hadith and acquire peace of mind by reading it when most of its narrations sound so inappropriate that they have to be concealed from public view?  I thought that the Hadith was meant to compliment the Quraan, not contradict it. 

Now think of this. There are so many Ahadith that discuss the conjugal relationship of the Prophet (pbuh) with his wives.  I say to myself .. is all this necessary to discuss?  Wasn't our beloved Prophet entitled to any privacy in his life?  If the Prophet (pbuh) ever came to know of these obnoxious narrations, would he (pbuh) be pleased with those people responsible for circulating such gossip?  We are supposed to love and respect the beloved Prophet even more than we love and respect our own parents, and that's really saying a lot.  Would any of us ever discuss the conjugal relationship of our parents?  I am sure not.  So why do the Hadith writers narrate such false and intimate aspects about the beloved Prophet's life?  All I can say is that the hadith narrators and compilers had a very questionable intent .. a bad intent.

People say Hadith explains the Qur'aan.  Among the traditional jurists, this is supposed to be the standard excuse for accepting Hadith.  To be honest, I disagree totally.  All my life I read the Glorious Quraan independently and never needed help from any source to understand it.   Qur'aan is not complicated nor difficult to understand particularly for those who are seriously looking for guidance and answers.  Allah Himself says in that the Quraan is "easy to remember."  Indeed it is.  And when Allah makes something easy for us to remember, He also makes it easy to understand.  It would be gross arrogance on the part of humans to say that the Glorious Quraan depends on Hadith or on any collection of writings for its explanation.  The Glorious Quraan in independent of everything.  It is a Standalone Book.

As anyone who has studied Hadith would know that it has a striking resemblance with the altered Old and New Testaments.  Researchers who have analysed the history of Hadith have confirmed that the Hadith writers read little or nothing of the Quraan, but they surely scanned the Torah and Gospel to write the Hadith narrations, the purpose being to revive many of the pre-Islamic laws.  Looking at  the contents of many ahadith, this analysis is apparently very true.  E.g. stoning to death for adultery, death for apostacy, re-appearance of Jesus son of Virgin Maryam etc. are all taken from the altered Bibles.  Such laws have nothing to do with the Quraan.  The counterpart of the Gospels is the Hadith, not the Quraan.  It's a natural tendency within humans to accept and adhere to human dictates with much greater willingness than Divine Commandments.  If Allah (The Most High) hadn't taken the responsibility upon Himself to preserve the Glorious Qur'aan, perhaps the Qur'aan would have also been completely altered by human hands over the last several centuries, just like the Torah and the Bible have been totally changed.  But Allah has stated that the Glorious Qur'aan is in a "guarded tablet" ("Lawh Mahfuz") and will never change, Alhamdulilah.  Non-Muslim researchers and historians have done whatever they could to compare the copies of the Mushaf printed throughout the annals of Islamic History.  One thing they had to acknowledge was the constant uniformity of the contents of HIS Final Message.  Moreover, looking at the style and depth of the Noble Qur'aan, there's not much scope to misinterpret it.  And of course, it's impossible to alter it which has been a great setback for the manipulators.  So they needed a different channel altogether to present their own views by attributing false narrations to the Prophet (pbuh).  Most of these exaggerated or completely concocted and fabricated narrations are today read in the form of 'Hadith.'  It is also an accepted fact that most of the ahadith we see today have been edited and re-edited well over half a dozen times during the last several centuries by various imams and "scholars" to suit their own social and political interests and personal thoughts .. exactly the way the Bibles are persistently altered every decade or half a decade to suit the social and political climate in the non-Muslim world. 

Then again, I have very often come across this needless and hackneyed concept that Hadith teaches prayer (salah), without which we wouldn't know how to offer salah at present.  After reflecting a little, anyone with a shred of sense would agree that nothing could be farther from the truth.  Hadith does NOT teach salah.  I never came across the entire procedure of salah in any Hadith nor have any of those who claim hadith to be the teacher of salah been able to produce any hadith narration that teaches complete basic requirements of salah. Most importantly, we must know that the culture of Hadith narrations came around 200 years after the passing away of the Prophet (pbuh). So, according to the theory of the jurists that Muslims have learned to offer salah through Hadith, the question arises .. how did those Muslims offer their salah who lived during the 200 years after the passing of the Prophet (pbuh) and the coming of Imam Bukhari?  Or does this mean that for those 200 years the Muslims didn't offer salah or forgot the method of offering it until Bukhari and other narrators came along and showed it to them ?  Of course this is nonsense.  The answer is simple.  Muslims have not learned the method of prayers from the Hadith. Instead, the requirements of salah came directly from the Noble Quran, implemented in the practical demonstrations by the final Messenger (pbuh) who used to lead the prayers five times a daily throughout his lifetime. After the Prophet (pbuh), Abu Bakr, Umar, Usman and Ali led the prayers and so on.  And how did the Prophet (pbuh) learn the method of salah?  Another very simple answer.  He learned it from the Quran.  Yes!  read the Quran carefully and you will know that the Quran contains the precise method of the Monotheistic prayer.  I wouldn't give Hadith any credit for teaching us prayers.  To know the truth that it is the Noble Quran that teaches salah, read the post Does the Quran contain the exact procedure of salaat?

Some adherents of Hadith claim that Hadith narrations already existed since the time of the Prophet (pbuh), and Bukhari and others simply compiled them into different collections/sections.  This is another faleshood and contradiction from the many solid data of Islamic history that categorically state that the Prophet (pbuh) did not allow any of his narrations to be preserved to avoid the slightest of possibility that people might mix them up with the Quraan or get distracted from the Quraan, and in accordance with his (pbuh) wishes, Abu Bakr (ra) and Umer bin Khattab (ra) had destroyed thousands of ahadith narrations during their times.  In fact, there are some Hadith narrations that themselves mention that the Prophet (pbuh) did not allow anyone to preserve his words.  If you think of it, this admission makes the Hadith literature a 'contradiciton within a contradiction' in that, it apparently denies the truth of its own narrations and yet goes on with it. 

Surely, the Glorious Quraan itself contains the Sunnah, in that, it mentions every basic aspect about the Prophet's (pbuh) life and character, and it teaches us how to offer prayers.  The Noble Quran also elucidates the character and responsibilities of many other Prophets who preceded the final Prophet Muhammad (peace on them all).  Thus, every reliable and truly authentic information about the Prophet can only be acquired from the Quraan.  Following the Quraan automatically means following the Prophet (pbuh) or the Sunnah.  But following the Hadith means neither following the Quraan nor the Prophet.  Following the hadith only defines following Bukhari, Abu Hurairah etc.  When the Quraan tells the believers to follow the example of the Prophet, it refers to those believers living in the Prophet's era when the Quran was in the process of revelation and not yet compiled.  Now the beloved Prophet (pbuh) has passed away and is no more with us, and the Noble Quran is fully compiled.  We are expected to follow Allah's Quraan and then only can we be sure that they are adhering to the teachings of the Prophet (pbuh).  True and pure guidance as preached by the beloved Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) comes only by endearing the Final Message that was revealed to him (pbuh) in the Glorious Quraan and nurturing our conscience on the basis of the principles and broad guidelines of the Noble Quraan. 

As any conscientious Monotheistic believer would agree, we must not adhere to any other book for guidance except the Quraan.  Allowing any other set of human writings to come between the Quraan and ourselves would definitely distract a lot of people from the Quraan.  This is precisely what has happened to the so-called 'Ummah' at present and they have been carried away in a very different direction than the one ordained by the Almighty Allah, only because of their involvement with Hadith. 

"And (He commands you, saying): This is My straight path, so follow it. Follow not other ways, lest you be parted from His way. This has He ordained for you, that you may ward off (evil)."  6:153 Al-Anam.

I've now quit the Hadith and am back to the Quraan alone like before, Alhamdulilah .. thus, getting back my peace and clarity of mind.If it wasn't because of the Great Quran, I don't know what I would have done.

Related posts:
- Does the Quran refer to follow the man-written Hadith?
-Obedience to the Quran means obedience to the Prophet.
- Hadith conspiracy and distortion of Islam
- Hadith: A Revaluation
- Difference between real Sunnah and man-made, traditional 'Sunnah'
- The Meaning of "Sunnah" in the Quran
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 04:02:24 am »

My dear, dear sister! walaikum salaam.  u r speaking my language thru and thru  Smiley  this is one of the most comprehensive articles on hadith i've read.  it covers almost all of those aspects that have raised so many questions in my mind concerning the hadith laws.  i would like to save this article for future reference.  do keep up the good work sis.  jazekAllah khairan.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 04:07:40 am »

hmmm,

Very good and comprehensive but try explaining to our jurists  Cheesy  That's the whole damned problem, isn't it?

It's been a long day.  Well past my bedtime.  night and Allah bless! 

bedtem seeyem gdbi
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 12:45:42 am »

Yes .. very comprehensive article.  covers just about every discrepancy of hadith.  Thanks sis ..

Br. Pt it's impossible to explain to the jurists because it exposes the jurists.
Report Spam   Logged

ameen

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 11:49:26 am »

salam sr. zeynab,

alhamdulillah, a very enlightening read. thanks alot : )

I pray that Allah increase you in knowledge, guidance, and Iman - insha-Allah.

wasalam
Report Spam   Logged
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 07:41:42 pm »

BismEm
 salamem

In my humble opinion, when the Qur'aan tells the believers to follow the example of the Prophet, it refers to those believers living in the Prophet's era.  And now since the beloved Prophet (pbuh) has passed away, the believers are expected to follow Allah's Qur'aan and then only can they be sure that they are adhering to the teachings of the Prophet (pbuh).  True & pure guidance as preached by the beloved Prophet Muhammad comes only by endearing the message that was revealed to him (pbuh) in the Glorious Qur'aan and nurturing our conscience on the basis of the principles and broad guidelines of the Noble Qur'aan. 

Alhamdulilah, truly enlightening and refreshing work.  I would also add that when the Noble Quran says to follow the Prophet's (pbuh) exampe, it refers to the Prophet's taqwa, his extra-oridnary character comprising of his outstanding patience, perseverence, sense of justice, compassion and consideration for humanity.  This is obviously what the Quran refers to by the Prophet's example, not irrelevant issues like his favorite food, length of the beard, the kind of toothbrush or miswak used, the kind of shoes he (pbuh) wore etc.  Not to mention, apart from the usual yap yap of the Hadith, there's no evidence anywhere that the Prophet (pbuh) ever grew the kind of untrimmed beard that everyone today presumes he did.

wsalam and thanks for the input sister.
Report Spam   Logged

salaam2011

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 10:06:50 pm »

Excellent write up with some very sensible points made. I feel the main reason for our decline is ignoring the Quran and following man made books bo wonder the Calips prohibited the printing of so called hadiths. They were men of wisodom and knew well how these books could be used as a vehicle to defame Islam and the great Prophet (SAW).

However there are many that take these hadiths as gospel truth and when one tells them not to do so they immediately label you a kaafir and do takfeer on you.
Report Spam   Logged
salaam2011

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 10:14:53 pm »

Sister, one more thing. When i began to understand the Quran and then read hadiths, I felt the same as you, very disturbed and not comfortable. I used to also have sleepless nights till I decided to follow the Quran only and use the hadith only as a text just like any other book.

About the Salah again you are right, in fact my views are these so called hadiths complicate and contradict procedures about Salah and by no means give a clear direction.
Salah was from the time of Prophet Ibrahim (PBUH) and as Quran says to the Prophet (SAW) is to follow the religion of Ibrahaim.

I am so happ Subhan Allah to be between people who think and not follow blindly.
Report Spam   Logged
Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 04:16:11 am »

Excellent write up with some very sensible points made. I feel the main reason for our decline is ignoring the Quran and following man made books bo wonder the Calips prohibited the printing of so called hadiths. They were men of wisodom and knew well how these books could be used as a vehicle to defame Islam and the great Prophet (SAW).

You are absolutely right brother.  Our great Prophet (SAW) strictly prohibited the people from writing anything except the Noble Quran.  The 4 righteous Caliphs also completely forbade everyone from collecting hadiths and burned thousands of narrations in the possession of people.  The culture of writing hadiths started in full swing during the reign of the Ummayads and was continued by the Abbasids. The institution of Hadith consists of violations by 2 sets of people - the narrators and the compilers.  The Ummayads encouraged the narrators like Abu Huraira, Anas bin Malik etc.  And the Abbasids encouraged the Persian imams like Bukhari and his student Muslim bin Hajaj. 

It is indeed sad that the Ummah has fallen prey to the guile of these folks and drifted away from the Great Quran which is Divine and fully original.  Praise be to Allah, the Almighty.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 04:36:33 am »

May Allah reward you for your clear perception, brother.  You must have observed that while discussing about hadith, a hadith follower's first 'challenging' question in defense of hadith is: "if u don't accept hadith then how did u learn salat?"  This is a very sloppy question and the reason why they think hadith taught salat is because they only read the hadith and listen to the fatwas of their imams but they never study the Quran carefully.  The 'complaint' of the hadith followers is that the Quran does not mention the method of salat.  But they never ask themselves why the Noble Quran does not mention the method of salat.  After all, Allah Almighty NEVER forgets anything.  So there must be a reason why the method of salat is not in the Quran.  The reason is that since salat had already begun from the time of Prophet Ibrahim (pbuh), the method of salat was already known to the people.  But because the descendents of the followers of Prophet Ibrahim had gradually deviated from Tawheed to polytheism, therefore they had corrupted the ideology of the Monotheistic salat.  Regarding salat, the purpose of the Noble Quran is to correct that deviated ideology and bring it back to Tawheed.  To check this topic in full, you might be interested to read sister Zeynab's complete post - "Reasons why the Noble Quran doesn't mention the exact, present method of salaah ."   I found this piece very informative.
Report Spam   Logged

salaam2011

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 09:06:56 pm »

Thank you Sister Heba.

I have to share with all of you. I did my Hajj this year and since then i see a good change in my life and Allah by his Mercy has opened my mind up and I am eager to seek all the good knowledge.

About salat, you are right, people always told be hadith tells you about sala, yes it does but it is so self contradictory. I will Insha Allah produce the eveidence later.
I too have being given dirty looks by many including one who told me that I was close to leave Islam as I told him I do not belive all the hadiths specially those that speaks about the private life of the Prophet and his wives ( it is sad how such blasphemous material can be considered a gospel truth) and all those that make us lazy, example doing Zikar has more rewards that Struggling in Path of Allah (jihad), it is so clear the  enemies of Islam want us to become statues and keep ourselves confiend to dark corners of the room with a tasbih in our hands expect Allah to do all things for us whenAllah states "I dont change your condition unless you change it yourself".

Regards'Salu
Report Spam   Logged
salaam2011

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 09:07:54 pm »

Thanks Sister Heba
Report Spam   Logged
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 11:03:06 pm »

Thanks sister heba and brother salaam for this very wise and fruitful discussion. 
As-salaam Alaikum.
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 11:08:29 pm »

Thank you Sister Heba.

I have to share with all of you. I did my Hajj this year and since then i see a good change in my life and Allah by his Mercy has opened my mind up and I am eager to seek all the good knowledge.

About salat, you are right, people always told be hadith tells you about sala, yes it does but it is so self contradictory. I will Insha Allah produce the eveidence later.

Brother Salaam, very nice to learn that u were fortunate enough to undertake the beautiful journey of Hajj.  Alhumdulilah.  May Allah, The Exalted, accept your Hajj and shower u and your family with His blessings.  Ameen.

We look forward to to learning from your wise writings, Insh'Allah.
Report Spam   Logged

salaam2011

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 01:23:15 am »

Thanks Sister Zeynab for your kind words. Yes, by Allah's mercy it was a very wonderful experience all around.

I am a humble learner and I will share with you all whatever i have learnt and you share with me your immense knowledge that is reflected in the way you write, Subhan Allah.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: