Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 04:24:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Sajda-e-Sahw

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Sajda-e-Sahw  (Read 9777 times)
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

Badges: (View All)
« on: February 23, 2009, 10:53:28 pm »

BismEm

Salaam Alaikum to all

'Sajda-e-Sahw' (or Sajda ul Sahu) refers to 'prostration of forgetfulness.'  It literally means "negligence or forgetfulness".  Sajda Sahw is performed as a gesture of apology to Allah Almighty, if one makes a mistake while offering salaah.  This mistake can either be an omission of a procedure of salaah or an additional performance of a procedure by mistake or forgetfulness.  At such times, the prostration of Sajda-e-Sahw is often performed.   

In other words, Sajda-e-Sahw is a mark of apology for making a mistake while offering salaah.   

Before coming to the method of Sajda-e-Sahw, let's discuss the following.   

Though Sajda-e-Sahw is not mentioned in the Quran, it's quite a common practice among Muslims whenever they make a mistake while praying.   

The query which many ask is that since it is not in the Quran, is this correctional or apologetic step acceptable?  Basically, in my personal view this is a subjective matter.  If one makes a mistake during salaah and decides to skip Sajda Sahw for the reason that the Quran does not make it mandatory, it surely cannot be called a violation.  The important thing in such a case would be to become aware of the mistake one has made and make an intent (niyyah) to try one's best to avoid making mistakes while praying in future.   

But if someone wants to perform Sajda Sahw after making a mistake in any of the procedures of salaah as an additional gesture of repentance, even though this is not mandatory as per the rules of the Quran, yet it's okay.  After all, it is a gesture of a believer's respect and devotion toward Allah Almighty.   

Once a sister raised another question on Sajda Sahw.  She asked, if someone mistakenly makes more prostrations than required, why should it be considered a mistake since prostration before Allah is such a great act of piety that it can never be wasted nor be limited by numbers.  Indeed, that is very true.  However, it's necessary to harbor an intent or niyyah of what one is doing.  Therefore, no matter how many extra rakahs of salaah we offer, it must be preceded with an intent of doing so.   Having said that, if we make an extra prostration (or prostrations) without the intent of performing it but through forgetfulness, it would not be the same as prostrating with the intention of doing so.  It would be more correctly described as an act of absent-mindedness because the intent was forgetfulness rathe than worship of Allah because the person was not concentrating on prayers.  Thus, they can either ask forgivness of Allah verbally after finishing salaah, or perform Sajda-e-Sahw as a gesture of apology and forgiveness for the mistake.   

With all the divisions and sectarianism introduced in Islam by a diverse group of traditionalists, the method of Sajda Sahw are several.  Sajda Sahw comes from a variety of ahadith.  And as we know, within the largely unauthentic institution of hadith, there can be a dozen differing opinions about a single issue.  It is the same in the case of the procedure of Sajda Sahw, thus making is fraught with confusion.

-  According to the Sunni Hanafi madhab, in case of a mistake in prayers, Sajda Sahw is performed after tashahud of final rakah, soon after saying salaam on the right side only, then performing 2 sajdas, and then repeating the tashahud and completing the prayer the usual way.   

-  As per the Shafi madhab, some say that in case of a mistake during prayers, Sajda Sahw is to be performed after the right and left salaams, while others say that two prostrations can also be performed soon after finishing the prayer.   

There are other individuals (mostly Sunnis) who say that Sajda Sahw is only permissible if mistake is made in Wajib acts of salaah.  But in case of a mistake while offering Fard acts of salaah,  Sajda Sahw is not enough to validate the prayer and instead the prayer must be repeated.  There may well be other similar man-made rules on Sajda Sahw which I'm not aware of. 

However .. such differences in all topics are common among people.  At the end of the day, it's important to remember that whichever prayer one is offering, Fard, Sunnah, Wajib or Nafl, if a mistake is made in the procedure of salaah, one can either offer Sajda Sahw in any one of the methods stated above.  Or one can simply repent in mind after the prayers and try to be more mindful in future. 

It is no doubt essential that during prayers, everyone, even a pre-occupied person, must try their best to be as attentive as possible to avoid mistakes through forgetfulness. 

Fard acts of prayers are the ones stated in the Noble Quran, that is, intention of worshipping Allah alone, recitation of Fatiha, recitation of a Surah or any Quranic Verse, performing ruku and performing prostration.  For information on the method of salaah given in the Noble Quran read Does the Quran contain the exact procedure of salaat?   Also please know, sajood performed during Sajda Sahw is done in exactly the same manner as sajood performed during regular salaah, that is, recite "Allah-o-Akbar" and prostrate.  During prostration recite "Subhan-e-Rabbil'Ala," then recite "Allah-o-Akbar" again with the completion of each prostration.   The words sajood and sajda mean the same, that is, prostration before Allah alone.

If you skip any of the Fard acts of salaah intentionally out of defiance or disagreement with Quranic instructions, then your salaah (prayer) will NOT be valid.   May The Almighty protect the human mind from such misguidance and repugnant arrogance.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 12:05:30 am »

I knew of Sajdai-Sahu because I do sometimes perform it.  I'm not saying I'm unmindful while offering salaah, not at all.  Just sometimes when there's something to worry about much I may get a bit distracted and at such times, like, I may forget a prostration or may miss a rakah.  Sometimes I may even perform an extra rakah by mistake.  It happens once in a while but I can't say that it doesn't happen at all.  So I do Sajda-i-Sahu.  I perform it the Hanafi way .. not because I'm a Hanafi follower.  I'm just a "Muslim."  I'm not into sects.  But that Hanafi way is most commonly accepted.  And sister Zeynab is right.  Even if one doesn't perform Sajda-i-Sahu, but sincerely repents for the sincerely, I think it's okay.  After all Sajda-e-Sahu is not in the Quran. And only Allah knows best.

As usual the different methods of Sajda Sahu coming from a variety of unauthentic hadiths has created much confusion and that makes the issue unpleasant.  This institution of hadith forgeries is really such a nuisance.

Report Spam   Logged

muslima

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 05:58:55 am »

hmmm why ulmas always in between Allah and man? why different confusing conditions DO,this, that ?  right, left ? can't we ask forgiveness direct in sajda ? Why bound to follow hadith instruction ?

btw do anyone know which hadith claim that prophet (pbuh) performed Prostration of Forgetfulness ??
Report Spam   Logged

Lo! Allah hath bought from the believers their lives and their wealth because the Garden will be theirs: they shall fight in the way of Allah and shall slay and be slain. It is a promise which is binding on Him in the Torah and the Gospel and the Qur'an. Who fulfilleth His covenant better than Allah? Rejoice then in your bargain that ye have made, for that is the supreme triumph.9:111
Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 01:16:27 am »

The ulemas think they will preside on the Day of Judgment so they keep making their own laws.  They have made this simple issue of 2 extra sajoods so complicated.   

If I make a mistake while offering salat, I continue to finish my salat.  At the end after tashahud, darood and salam, I simply perform 2 more sajoods as a gesture of apology to Allah for my forgetfulness.
Report Spam   Logged

muslima

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 01:04:28 pm »

Ahh  Ulma's , Ulma's  THE creatures in between human and angles Cheesy they are responsible for hadith culture  Angry Allah will strictly deal with these lawmakers and with their blind followers too.

Or have they partners (of Allah) who have made lawful for themin religion that which Allah allowed not? And but for a decisive word (gone forth already), it would have been judged between them. Lo! for wrong-doers is a painful doom 42:21
Report Spam   Logged

Lo! Allah hath bought from the believers their lives and their wealth because the Garden will be theirs: they shall fight in the way of Allah and shall slay and be slain. It is a promise which is binding on Him in the Torah and the Gospel and the Qur'an. Who fulfilleth His covenant better than Allah? Rejoice then in your bargain that ye have made, for that is the supreme triumph.9:111
muslima

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 07:52:03 am »

salamem

I was looking for here we go i have got this hadith see guys .

(71) Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet offered one of the evening prayers (the sub-narrator Muhammad said, "I think that it was most probably the 'Asr prayer") and he finished it after offering two Rakat only. He then stood near a price of wood in front of the Mosque and put his hand over it. Abu Bakr and 'Umar were amongst those who were present, but they dared not talk to him about that (because of excessive respect for him), and those who were in a hurry went out. They said, "Has the prayer been reduced?" A man who was called DhulYadain by the Prophet said (to the Prophet), "Has the prayer been reduced or have you forgotten?" He said, "Neither have I forgotten, nor has the prayer been reduced." He said, "Certainly you have forgotten." So the Prophet offered two more Rakat and performed Tashm and then said Takbir and performed a prostration of Sahu like his ordinary prostration or a bit longer and then raised his head and said Takbir and then put his head down and performed a prostration like his ordinary prostration or a bit longer, and then raised his head and said Takbir.  (Book #22, Hadith #321)

Hadith 2:318
Narrated Abu Huraira:

The Prophet led us in the 'Asr or the Zuhr prayer and finished it with Taslim. Dhul-Yadain said to him, "O Allah's Apostle! Has the prayer been reduced?" The Prophet asked his companions in the affirmative. So Allah's Apostle I offered two more Rakat and then performed two prostrations (of Sahu). Sad said, "I saw that 'Ursa bin Az-Zubair had offered two Rakat in the Maghrib prayer and finished it with Taslim. He then talked (and when he was informed about it) he completed the rest of his prayer and performed two prostrations, and said, 'The Prophet prayed like this.'

This corrupt hadith is Not sahi  as usual it's  Contradict with  Quran verse which are testifies the  infallibility of prophet Muhammad  (pbuh) ..

Prophet (pbuh)  is infallible and cannot forget prayer .Prophet  was guided and protected by Allah .

Surah  al-Najm 53: 2 to 5

Your comrade erreth not, nor is deceived .53:2

Nor doth he speak of (his own) desire.53:3

It is naught save an inspiration that is inspired,53:4

Which one of mighty powers hath taught him,53:5 ..

Naudhubillah.this hadith made mock and putting serious charge ..on prophet Muhammad (Pbuh)

Angry

forgetting prayer means shaitan was able to trick prophet (which is not possible) Or Abu huraira try to say that prophet Muhammad did not concentrate in his Salah ????

Rest of hadith's u can see here on

Forgetfulness in Prayer

كتاب السهو

This is book 22 of Sahih al-Bukhari, containing 14 hadith.

http://sunnah.com/bukhari/22

Any further feedback ?????
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 07:14:40 pm »

Yeah, these hadiths are total crap .. all nonsense.   The actual point is that we have no proof if the number of fard rakats during the Prophet's time were the same as we offer today.  Only Allah knows best.  But in my opinion at that time the method of prayer was not as rigid as it is today.   In those days there was no Hadith which is today responsible for changing many things including the method of prayer.  Back then the people followed only what the Prophet instructed them through the Quran.   The important rules on salat as the Quran highlights are sajood, ruku, recitation of Fatiha and whatever verses of the Quran one could remember by memory .. most importantly the prayer must be directed to Allah only.  As long as these rules are remembered & followed, the other issues like number of rakats, number of sajoods & rukus can differ from person to person and it probably did in early times.  

As for forgetting, well, I wouldn't say forgetting necessarily means Shaitaan coming in between.  Forgetting is something natural of human nature, it happens once in a while with everyone for various reasons.  Whether or not the Prophet (pbuh) ever forgot anything is known to Allah only.  Such information narrated 30 or 40 years later by strangers then compiled 150 years later by other strangers cannot be taken as an authentic source at all. Moreover, as I said, even if the Prophet (pbuh) did forget some little thing once in a while in his daily life, that's not a sin.  After all he was human.  Any mistake that is unintentional is not the same as an intentional violation.  Such Hadiths especially the ones of Abu Huraira are meant only to insult the Prophet (pbuh).  

Of course, the Prophet (pbuh) never forgot anything during the Revelations of the Quran, because during Divine Revelations Allah was directly in control and He made the Prophet read and recite His Revelations correctly without a single mistake.   

Report Spam   Logged

muslima

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 07:34:52 am »

Thumbsup Thumbsup
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 05:20:30 am »

Salam everyone.   Coming back to this topic for a moment, can Sajda Sahw (two additional sajood) be performed after finishing the entire prayer?  Most common mistake when mind is preoccupied is to forget how many rakats you offered.  E.g. if you're offering a 4 rakat prayer, while on the 3rd rakat you may forget if you're offering the 3rd or 4th rakat.   Or on the second rakat, you may sometimes forget if it's the 1st or the 2nd. 

This question is from my sister who is these days very preoccupied because of all the unpleasantness unleashed by this terrible pandemic.   This kind of forgetfulness often happens with her while offering salat presently.

Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 05:27:18 am »

Walaikum Salam dear brother.    O!  my concern and sympathy for your and our beloved sister.  I can so well relate to her problem.

Yes, in such a situation you can perform Sajda Sahw at the end of the salat as a gesture of apology to Allah.  Or, one can restart the salat from the smaller number.  That means, suppose you forget whether you're offering the 4th rakah or 3rd.  In such a case, simply assume that you have offered 2 rakahs and then offer the 3rd and the 4th.  Even if you repeat the 3rd rakah, doesn't matter.  This way, the mistake won't leave you with a 'shortfall' in your worship of Allah Almighty.  And then at the end, after finishing salat, perform Sajda Sahw. 

Our salams to your sister.   May Allah Almighty be with all of us and grant us peace.  Ameen.  We're all in this together.

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 05:32:57 am »

Thank you very much Sister Heba.   

Also thank you for your concern Sister Heba.  I will convey it to my sister.  Yes, we're all in this together.  Only Allah can help.

Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 05:35:36 am »

Big welcome brother.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: