Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
April 19, 2024, 09:19:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Why aren't non-Muslims allowed in Makkah and Al-Medinah?

+-
Shoutbox
April 02, 2024, 07:27:22 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Details on Leila tul Qadr every Ramadan, links HERE.
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Why aren't non-Muslims allowed in Makkah and Al-Medinah?  (Read 257 times)
Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

Badges: (View All)
« on: March 26, 2009, 07:01:18 pm »

BismEm

"O ye who believe! The idolaters only are unclean. So let them not come near the Inviolable Place of Worship after this their year. If ye fear poverty (from the loss of their merchandise) Allah shall preserve you of His bounty if He will. Lo! Allah is Knower, Wise."  (9:28)  Surah At-Taubah

The above Verse makes it clear that anyone who has not embraced monotheism is not to enter the premises of the Kaabah.  The term "unclean" refers to the spiritual violation of pagans, and I'm sure disbelievers such as atheists and agnostics are to be included as well. 

The beloved Prophet Mohammed (peace and blessings on him) cleansed the city of Makkah of idolatry through a completely peaceful conquest with not a single incident of fighting nor a drop of blood being shed.  It's the first of its kind in world history .. and apparently the last.  The Prophet (pbuh) restored the Kaa'bah and the city of Mekkah where the Kaa'bah stands, in their pristine state as they were during the time of Prophet Abraham (peace and blessings on him) as commanded by Allah Almigty. 

Very understandably, it's the desire of later generations of Muslims to keep it that way.  Since both Makkah and Medinah are places filled with memories very important and dear to Muslims, these places and their precincts are reserved only for Muslims to help them concentrate on worship and thoughts of Allah alone, so that they don't become common tourist destinations like other places of the world.     

Even though it's common knowledge that Muslims commonly meet Christian and Jewish leaders for inter-faith dialogues, most non-Muslims do not understand the aspect of them not being allowed into Makkah and Medinah.  They often misinterpret it by hurling their standard slanderous comment of "intolerance."   Also, there are various non-Muslims who claim or call themselves "monotheists" and thus critisize the law of not being allowed to enter Makkah.  Only Allah Almighty knows best whether or not such ones really are monotheists.  However, we as Muslims, have to adhere to the principle established from the time of the conquest of Makkah as elucidated in Verse 9:28 of Surah At-Taubah.  If there are any outsiders who genuinely consider themselves monotheists and desire to visit Makkah and al-Medinah, they simply need to take the Shahadah and embrace the final monotheistic Message delivered by the final Messenger of Allah .. the Final Message which is original and intact.

To clarify this question still better, I would like to quote an apt analogy I read in Reading Islam where Idris Tawfik responded to a similar query put by a non-Muslim reader.

There are some who would see this as discriminatory. They would ask why Christians and Jews, for example, are not allowed into Makkah. They would even question the good faith of many Muslims engaging in inter-faith dialogue, suggesting that they cannot be serious about dialogue if they prevent their non-Muslim friends from visiting Makkah.

This is not the case, and I will try to explain why .....   

The best way I can explain it is by way of analogy. I am sure that you have married friends. Perhaps you have been to dinner with them or been out with them for the evening to the theatre or the cinema. maybe you have spent long hours with them discussing many issues.   

You will agree with me, though, that there are certain moments in the life of this married couple where it would not be appropriate for you to be present. They need time on their own to be intimate, and these times are not to be shared with others.   

In exactly the same way, Muslims can be with their Christian or Jewish friends on many occasions, having fun or talking at great length, but visiting the holy city of Makkah is a time for them to be intimate with Allah alone. It is not a time for their non-Muslim friends to be with them.   

Visiting Makkah either as part of Hajj, that once in a lifetime pilgrimage enjoined on all Muslims once in their lifetime, if they are able to make it, or for Umrah, the lesser pilgrimage, is a uniquely religious experience. Muslims perform the rituals of Hajj and Umrah because they have been told to do so, in imitation of Prophet Abraham (peace be upon him) and his wife Hagar. They circumambulate the Kabah, just as the angels encircle the throne of God in heaven.   

Everyone present at the Kabah is there for the same reason. Muslims, and especially ladies, can feel relaxed when performing their religious duties there, in the knowledge that they are in the presence of Muslims there for the same reason.   

In many societies, Muslims are put under great pressure because of the practice or because of the outward signs of their faith. In Makkah, they are there with fellow Muslims solely for the purpose of worshipping Allah.   

Many Muslims weep openly on seeing the Kabah for the first time. It is truly an intimate moment to be alone with Allah in the midst of your Muslim brothers and sisters. 

It is for this reason that tourism has no place in Makkah, nor its environs. I hope that this answer makes sense to you and that it will encourage you to learn even more about Hajj and about Islam itself.   

Unquote
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 08:39:16 pm »

Very good read sister CaT.  Alhumdulilah.  You've articulated this clarification very rationally, realistically and logically.  I also like Idris Tawfiq's analogy.  He doesn't always say things that are right, but sometimes he does.  This time he's perceived it very correctly. 

BTW - we all know the difference between polytheists and atheists.  Is there a difference between atheists and agnostics?  Once long ago when I was browsing FMs as guest, I came across this argument.  One person said there's no difference, another one said there's a difference.  However, I didn't follow the thread carefully.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 09:32:36 pm »

Very good read sister CaT.  Alhumdulilah.  You've articulated this clarification very rationally, realistically and logically.  I also like Idris Tawfiq's analogy.  He doesn't always say things that are right, but sometimes he does.  This time he's perceived it very correctly.

Thanks sis.  Yes u r right.  Br. Tawfiq basically tries to balance his writings between what he thinks is right and what the mainstream clerics uphold.  So one has to carefully read every line of his artilces and also between the lines.  On average, I can usually connect with about 50% (or a little more) of the contents of his works, whenever I read any of it.  I guess that's not too bad considering that officially he is a 'hadither.'  But 'unofficially' he's more into the Quran .. or so it seems.

BTW - we all know the difference between polytheists and atheists.  Is there a difference between atheists and agnostics?  Once long ago when I was browsing FMs as guest, I came across this argument.  One person said there's no difference, another one said there's a difference.  However, I didn't follow the thread carefully.

Hmmm, well .. most people take them to be the same.  But as per the dictionary or the human definition, there is a difference.  But again, this difference doesn't make either one better than the other.  So one might as well think them to be the same.

According to the dictionary, atheist is a person who rejects all religions.  That means, they deny monotheism as well as polytheism.  According to the same source of definition, an agnostic is a person who thinks that it's impossible to know or prove the existence of God (monotheism) but  stop short of professing total atheism.

Unfortunately, some so-called Muslims or 'modernists' often try to play this game by differentiating between atheism and agnosticism, and they try to portray agnostics as some kind of 'believers.'   You are right that these sort of debates are common in places like Free Minds.  

But here's the most important issue.  As readers of the Glorious Quran, it is clear and easy to understand that both atheists and agnostics very definitely come into the category of DISBELIEVERS.  Atheists and agnostics may have a slightly different approach to their thoughts, but their ultimate conclusion is the same for practical purposes.  While athesits deny monotheism flatly, agnostics refuse to accept it through all kinds of unwarranted doubts in their minds.  In the monotheistic Faith, which is the Final Message of Allah Almighty - The Glorious Quran - there is absolutely no room for doubts.  One simply has to reject all doubts through one's wisdom, intuition, inner perception and devotion for Allah and choose belief over doubts.  If anyone harbors such doubts in their heart as do the agnostics, they are disbelievers.  Period.   Whether or not the agnostics officially join the team of atheists makes no difference.  They are both deniers and doubters that amount to disbelief in Almighty Allah - The One and Only, Who is the Ultimate Truth.
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 02:51:29 am »

Excellent work sister Cat.  The original post and clarification of difference between atheist and agnostic are very informative and correctly put.

Lot of non-Muslims grumble about not being allowed into Makkah and al-Medinah.  They wrongly take this as "intolerance."  They forget their own real intolerance that had clamped apartheid in so many parts of the world where colored people wouldn't be allowed.  And someone quite rightly remarked about CIA centers all over the world.  Would they ever allow Muslims there? 
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 07:00:31 pm »

Thank you sister CaT, for defining the difference between atheist and agnostic.  It's now clear to me.  I always knew that they are both in the category of disbelievers.  I just wanted to know the exact difference between the two.  I too have often observed that modernists try to present agnostics look less skeptical than atheists, but that's just their purposeful manipulation.  You are absolutely right.  As per the principles of the Noble Quran and any logical analysis, they are both disbelievers.  There's no doubt about that.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 07:01:59 pm »

Lot of non-Muslims grumble about not being allowed into Makkah and al-Medinah.  They wrongly take this as "intolerance."  They forget their own real intolerance that had clamped apartheid in so many parts of the world where colored people wouldn't be allowed.  And someone quite rightly remarked about CIA centers all over the world.  Would they ever allow Muslims there? 

So true sister zeynab.  Very well perceived really ....
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 04:36:26 am »

MaashAllah, very fruitful thread.   We had this topic as our main agenda last Saturday.  A few friends couldn't come so we had a smaller group than usual -about 8 of us.   Only one guy didn't agree about non-Muslims not being allowed to the Holy Cities.  That guy is somewhat of the 'free minds' category, not as bad but not too much better.   He often ends up irritating certain others and an amicable discussion gets painted with streaks of bitter sarcasm  Grin   I pretty much suggested similar points as mentioned in this thread.  It was agreed by all except the fitnah guy.

Here's my view point.  Definitely, disallowing non-Muslims from entering Makkah and Medinah is a very understandable and essential law. The Noble Quran clearly commands to keep non-Monotheists away from the Holy Kaabah.

"Oh you who believe! Truly the idolaters are unclean; so let them not, after this year, approach the Sacred Mosque...." (9:28).

This rule also promotes a tranquil atmosphere by eradicating the distraction and gossips generated by the presence of non-Muslims who do not understand the importance nor the beauty of Tawheed. Moreover, the beloved Prophet (SAAW) worked hard at the Command of Allah Almighty for 23 years to cleanse the Holy Kaabah and its premises. Thus, as a gesture of profound respect for this most important part of Islamic history, all non-Muslims must be prohibited from entering Makkah and Medinah.

Christians often complain that Muslims are allowed into the Vatican area but Christians aren't allowed into Makkah and Medinah. They say this because they are a folk who don't understand the truth, and they think from a very different dimension. The history, greatness and importance of the Kaabah and the Call of Islam inviting humanity back to Monotheism or Tawheed is far more than an ordinary little city like the vatican. The Christians are basically a secular lot. For them religion is just a recreational break once a week when they go to church, sing and chat and return home. But Islam for us is religion and much more, it's a complete code of life. The Noble Quran is the foundation of our lives. It's incumbent upon us to obey its commandments and respect its history which includes keeping the cities of Makkah and Medinah spiritually & morally clean.

Btw ,, I also quoted Idris Taufiq's analogy which also makes good sense.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 03:24:45 am »

Very well put br. PT.  I'm glad to know u and yr friends are persistent about this very good practice of holding discussions every week.  Since it's for the sake of Allah Almighty, it's a form of remembering Allah and I pray Allah rewards u and your sincere friends for it.  I'm sure though, that free minder guy must be throwing thorns in the eyes of everyone Cheesy   Is he a member of free minds?  If he is, then just take him as a lunatic and ignore him.  Or simply tell him to return from the "madhouse he escaped from" as sister Zainab had suggested to that guy "joe" of free minds  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: