Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 04:55:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

A dessert called Barfi

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: A dessert called Barfi  (Read 2863 times)
Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

Badges: (View All)
« on: December 26, 2006, 03:51:55 am »

Barfis are a kind of dessert, very much a milk product, popular in Afghanistan's neighbor, Pakistan.  Commercial barfis are not health foods and are high in calories.  But if you prepare it at home, it could be more healthy.  Try out the following recipe.

Ingredients:

Seeds of 4-5 Small Cardamoms
4 cups of Powdered Milk
2 cups of Sugar
2 tbsp. butter or cooking oil
Evaporated Milk
½ cup of Water

Method:

1) In the powdered milk add enough evaporated milk to knead it into a hard dough. Roll it up into a hard ball and keep it in the freezer for 15-20 minutes.

2) Then take it out and grate it with a coarse grater. In a pot heat the oil and add the cardamom seeds, grated milk, sugar and water and cook on low heat and keep stirring till the water has dried and it starts to come together and leaves the sides of the pot.

3) Add a few drops of kevera essence(optional) and set in a flat dish. When cool cut into pieces.

Source: Diary of a Homemaker
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 06:30:05 am »

hey folks, i know lots of u have been looking this up.  I've found an easier recipe for it.  Simply use full cream milk or half & half.  Half & half would be best.  Put it on simmer with half tsp cardamom powder or few cardamom seeds and allow it to evaporate, stirring periodically so it doesn't catch from the base.  Use a thick based container.  If you're using about 1 liter of half and half, it should thicken in 30 to 40 minutes.  As it thickens, its color changes.  It turns a little beige in color.  When pretty thick, add add sugar and few drops of kewra essence.  If you wanna add few strands of saffron, that would be lovely!  Keep stirring the evaporated milk till really thick, almost solid.  Spread it on a dish, sprinkle with blanched and sliced almonds & pistachios, and refrigerate for 4 or 5 hours.  If you can refrigerate it overnight, still better.  When you bring it out of the fridge, cut into squares or diamonds as shown in the pic.  A friend of mine prepared it this way and I tasted it.  It was delicious!  She said that powdered milk can never have the same class as fresh milk. 
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 07:02:24 am »

wow!  the second recipe seems better.  I recall, a friend of mine used to make the dessert called gulab jamon in this method, I mean this is how she acquired the evaporated milk to make those gulab jamon rounds, deep fried them and then dipped them in thick syrup.  Of course, for this u don't need to add sugar in the evaporated milk, instead its dipped in syrup.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 02:58:58 am »

This is fantastic dessert.  In Pakistan there's no need to make it at home b'coz u can get great milk burfis in sweet shops.  But for those living in other countries may need to know how to prepare it at home. 

Regarding your second recipe, sis, professionally I think yr friend missed out one step though probably not a very important step.  My mom has made burfi at home many times.  Here's how she makes it.

1) First put the full cream milk (u r right, half 'n' half wud be better) in a thick based container and on simmer until it evaporates and turns almost solid. 

2) Then cool a bit, and put this solid evaporated milk in another thick based container.  Add sugar to it according to your taste.  Then cook it on medium to low heat stirring constantly until the sugar is absorbed and the mixture is quite dry. 

3) Next step, take half cup full cream milk with pinch of saffron and quarter tsp cardamom powder or few cardamom seeds.  Heat it for approx. 40 seconds in the microwave.  Add it to the solid evaporated milk.  Also add a little butter to it.  Keep stirring on medium to low heat for a little while longer until the liquid milk is absorbed and the mixture looks dry & moist. 

4) Next step, spread it evenly on a flat, slightly greased, plate and cool.  Don't put it in the fridge immediately.  Let it cool at room temperature for about 1 hour.  Then put it in the fridge for another 2 hrs.  Now take it out of the fridge, cut into squares or diamonds, decorate the pieces with almond or pistachio slices.

5) Final step, enjoy eating!  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 03:08:05 am »

hmmm ,, ok ,, so the step that's missing in my friend's method is the half cup milk.  Btw, she also added a little butter which I forgot to mention.  Would any of u know if there's really a whole lot of difference between preparing solid evaporated milk using fresh full cream milk and using powdered milk?  Isn't good quality powdered milk the same as evaporated milk prepared at home with fresh milk and far more time saving too?
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 06:45:06 am »

I guess solid evaporated milk prepared with fresh milk is the best.  However, if u can find good quality full cream milk powder, that sounds good too.  And considering the fact that it will save so much time as compared to preparing solid evaporated milk with fresh milk at home, I think it would be worth it.  Try it with a small quanity of powdered milk first, using your first recipe on this thread.  Tell us how it turns out.  Unless one doesn't try out a recipe, the outcome will always remain a mystery.  From what I see, your first recipe and sister Rose's recipe from her mom is exactly the same except that your one uses powdered milk.  So don't worry, sis.  Go ahead and try it as it's easiest for you. 
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 07:30:21 am »

hmmmm, correct.  Unless one doesn't try out a recipe, the results can only be speculated.  And yes, I think I'll experiment it using much reduced quantitites of ingredients.  Hope it turns out good otherwise my kids are gonna be disappointed.  They're always so expectant when I'm preparing some unique homemade goodie  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 11:48:51 am »

I'll tell u what.  The day u decide to experiment the barfi, keep plenty of other goodies for the kids.  My ones also become very inquisitive when I'm making something nice and I'm flooded with questions such as "what r u making? what's it called?  Is it sweet stuff?  when will it be ready?" and so on.  And I say to myself, "OMG, if my experiment fails, the kids will be so disappointed."  So, on such days I bring home a big cream cake, a dozen brownies and plenty of popcorn.   All this makes them forget what I'm cooking in the kitchen.  Even if the new recipe is a failure, it's not much of a disappointment for them Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 08:58:46 am »

hey folks, say "bravo!"  I finally got to make the barfi with powdered milk recipe.  It turned out pretty fantastic.  I guess, I could even pass it off as fudge  Grin  The kids enjoyed it a lot.  Next time, InshAllah, I can make more in quantity.  Feel more brave now ..  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2010, 04:31:45 am »

Hurray!!!!!  Thumbsup   Mabrook sis!  Cheesy sorry I didn't see it earlier.  so tell us how it turned out  Cheesy Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2010, 07:49:59 am »

lol ,, it wasn't bad sis.  Tasted pretty good.  the only thing being, the consistency was difficult to manage, it was a bit sticky & leathery .. a bit like plasticine  Grin  It's easier to take a clean bite from the professional barfis available in pakistani stores which we used to often buy during our brief stay in Pakistan in the 1980s..  But the kids and my husband liked it the "plasticine" I made  Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2020, 11:45:39 pm »

Salams to all.  Coming to this thread nearly after a decade!    That's because I discovered another excellent quick cook barfi.   That's barfi with condensed milk.  Takes 20 minutes or less, literally.

Read the following carefully.

Half cup white (all-purpose) flour
I can sweetened condensed milk
One-fourth cup oil,
butter or ghee about 2 teaspoon
Illiachi (cardamoms) few and quarter teaspoon cardamom powder if you have it
kewra few drops, and saffron few strands if you have it
Sugar - you may not need if you're using sweetened condenses milk
Nuts for garnishing

Grease a flat tray or plate with oil or ghee and keep aside.

Heat ghee in a non stick pan and roast the flour.  Roast till the raw smell goes.  Keep the flame in medium and fry. 

Pour in the condensed milk and keep stirring continuously.  It will get thick and come together in 3 minutes so keep stirring.   

When it becomes thick and comes together, taste a little to check if sugar is needed.  Pour it into the greased plate and flatten it with a smooth ladle allow it to cool.  

Let it cool for 30 minutes.  Then you may need to put it in the fridge for at least 2 or 3 hours.  Remove from fridge, cut into squares and sprinkle with slivered or sliced almonds.   It's best to prepare it a day before required. 

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2020, 11:49:46 pm »

Walaikum As-Salaam.  I tried this sis.  Very similar to your method and really quick.   It came wonderful.  But yes, since I didn't add any extra sugar as the condensed milk was already too sweetened, it took a bit long to set.  About 4 hours in the fridge.  I was able to cut it in squares the same day after that many hours, but I noticed the squares were set a lot better the following day.  So you're right.  It's best to prepare it a day in advance. 

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2020, 11:52:07 pm »

Aw!  so nice to know that sis ...... you tried it?  Yeah it tastes fab, my folks loved it particularly the kiddos. 
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2020, 03:34:53 am »

Bravo sis!   This sounds real quick barfi.  The previous one was fine but took pretty long.   Already have more than a dozen cans of condensed milk and lots a flour in my kitchen.  Will get going with this tomorrow, InshAllah.   Thankoo sis 😄

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: