Guests wanting to sign-up as members MUST first introduce themselves in detail at Zainab's Lounge, accessible from Muslim Villa's Guestbook Board (top sticky post titled "Zainab's Lounge"). Approval of members is at the discretion of the MV Team. You have arrived at a place of serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Sublime Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism."
Muslim Villa
August 14, 2020, 06:28:12 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

A short and important history of Hajj

+-
Shoutbox
July 07, 2020, 11:23:26 am N. Truth Seeker: InshAllah, vaccine will come but might take a bit of time.
July 07, 2020, 11:22:43 am Heba E. Husseyn: Exactly ... !
July 07, 2020, 11:22:10 am Zeynab: World stuck in a pandemic desperately needs a vaccine.
July 07, 2020, 11:21:18 am N. Truth Seeker: lol true.
July 07, 2020, 11:20:59 am N. Truth Seeker: Very soon it will be neck deep.
July 07, 2020, 11:20:23 am Heba E. Husseyn: Dr. Fauci in US says country is knee-deep in pandemic.
May 30, 2019, 06:15:49 am Zeynab: Alhudulilah, yes sister Ruhi.  Time flies in this fleeting world.  May Allah The Almighty accept our hard work in the permanent world.  That's the real success.
May 30, 2019, 03:43:58 am Ruhi_Rose: Jumaa-tul-widaa (farewell to Ramadan) tomorrow Friday 31.  How time flies!  Ya Allah, keep us close to Your mercy.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: A short and important history of Hajj  (Read 474 times)
Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

Badges: (View All)
« on: November 19, 2009, 01:13:54 am »

Your perception and concern are correct and justified, sister Ruhi. 

While only Allah knows the details best, here's how I surmise the present concept of Eid evolved in our Muslim society.

As we know, the Noble Quran mentions nothing to presume that Eid is a Quranic dictate.  In many narrations of various hadith collections you will find lots of stuff about Eid, like, eating a certain number of dates before Eid prayers, for Eid-al-Adha eating after making the sacrifice, wearing clean or best clothes, men must use perfume not women etc.  There is a hadith which also says that on Eid (probably Eid-al-Fitr or may both Eids) the Prophet (pbuh) in the mosque went around the congregation with a bag requesting all women to drop into the bag whatever jewellery they could give for charity. Of course I don't believe this at all.  The Prophet (pbuh) would never collect charity in this manner.  We know that for sure.  What I mean to show is this is how the concept of Eid started, purely through hadith.

Now, in reality, I would presume that at the end of Ramadan, the Prophet (pbuh)would be meeting people in his masjid in Medinah after the prayers and probably congratulating them for completing the fasts successfully .... and perhaps the people (including women who would be present) would offer each other some dates or some simple thing to eat.  That's it.  Then they would disperse after a while. I am also sure that during the period of the 4 righteous Caliphs who succeeded the Prophet (pbuh), things were just as simple and down-to-earth.  In my opinion, the extravagance began from the time of the Ommayad rulers.  That's when gradually lavish feasts became significant of observing Eid by marking it as the end of a religious season.  As the time of the Ommayads and Abbasids was very prosperous for the Muslim Empire, therefore these parties in the palace gradually became more extravagant, spreading into the society as a social culture or tradition.  Thus, this way eventually this practice also spread from the rich to the middle-class as a household culture. 

Like I said, only Allah knows best, but this is how I think it came about.

I had also read in a fairly sensible Muslim website sometime ago (I can't recall the name of that website) that marking the end of a religious season with celebration was a typical pre-Islamic custom.  It obviously popped back after the passing away of the Prophet (Saaw) and his successors, Abu Bakr, Umer, Usman and Ali (may Allah be pleased with them). 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: