Tweet Guests wanting to sign-up as members MUST first introduce themselves in detail at our guest book otherwise their registrations will be DELETED immediately. This is a read-only forum. Approval of members is up to the MV team, depending on your guest book introduction. Thanks!
Muslim Villa
July 23, 2014, 09:48:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Hurriyet Daily (Turkish)

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

How much water would be needed to cook 1 cup a rice?

+-
Shoutbox
July 13, 2014, 07:57:43 pm Zeynab: Alhumdulilah, 15th Ramadan.  So far all is going fine thru the long hours.  May Allah help us thru safely and accept our efforts.  Ameen.
July 12, 2014, 06:47:15 pm Heba: Salams from me to! Smiley  and wow!  How busy we've been, Alhumdulilah.  By the time I looked up our shout box, the first 14 days are over.  SubhanAllah.
July 08, 2014, 07:52:48 pm Ruhi_Rose: Salams all.  Can u imagine guys .. 1st 10 days of Ramadan is already over. That's the speed with which time flies!!  Alhumdulilah.
July 07, 2014, 02:39:58 am Truth Seeker: Assalam Alaykom and Ramadan Kareem brother MuslimMahlon.  How have u been?
July 05, 2014, 07:43:40 pm Heba: Ramadan Mubarak to u too my brother! InshAllah, I pray u r fine. Why the disappearance from MV?Smiley
July 04, 2014, 01:37:41 pm MuslimanMahlon: Ramadan Mubarak fellow Muslims. May Allah bring peace and tranquility to all and family, insha'Allah, amen.
February 12, 2014, 02:12:12 pm muslima: Alhamdulillah May Allah grant her health ameen  Smiley
February 11, 2014, 11:24:27 pm Heba: Wa'salam everyone Smiley  And hi sister Muslima.  Thanks dear sis, my mom is fine tho she had to undergo some treatment, that's why we were delayed. But Alhumdulilah fine now.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: How much water would be needed to cook 1 cup a rice?  (Read 3239 times)
Heba
Member of the website team.

Rating: 41

From the land of the bones

« on: November 18, 2009, 12:15:17 am »

I know it's better to drain water after cooking rice (boiling rice) as that drains off the starch too.  However, sometimes while cooking fried lentil rice or fried rice with peas, draining the water drains away the spices too.  I would like to cook it by drying the water in it.  Therefore folks, how much water would be okay for, let's say, one cup of rice?
Report Spam   Logged

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be a friend.

Social Buttons

Zeynab
Founder
Admin

Visiting the 'memory lane' is blissful and free.

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 12:22:02 am »

Okay .. the standard measurment, as far as I know, is ---- 2 cups of water to cook 1 cup of dry rice.  If you would like the rice to be firm and not too soft, then use one and three-quarter cups of water.  First boil the water, then put in the rice, cover and lower the heat to simmer.  It normally takes 20 minutes .. the white Basmati rice.  When done, the bottom of the cooking container should be dry but make sure it doesn't catch.
Report Spam   Logged

"Say: Though the sea became ink for the Words of my Lord, verily the sea would be used up before the words of my Lord were exhausted, even though We brought the like thereof to help."  (18:109) Al-Kahf
Ruhi_Rose

Rating: 16

Mom of three cute rascals :)

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 12:28:20 am »

Hmmmm, and sometimes it's recommended to add a teaspoonful of oil while boiling the rice.  This keeps the grains of rice from sticking together.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

Rating: 16

Mom of three cute rascals :)

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 12:32:00 am »

btw -- if u r cookin lentil rice then I guess you'll need to mix the two and then carry out the measurment.  This means, measure 1 cup of mixed lentil & rice and use 2 cups a water ..... I think so  ???
Report Spam   Logged

Heba

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 12:33:56 am »

Thanks a million for the quick replies and suggestions.  That pretty much clarifies it for me.  and yeah, sister rose.  I suppose you're right.  in case of lentil rice, i'll have to mix n measure.
Report Spam   Logged

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be a friend.

Zeynab
Founder
Admin

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 01:57:33 am »

O yes, lentil rice (commonly known as Kitcheri in Urdu) needs more water because lentil takes longer to get tender than rice.  As sister rose would know, kitceri or lentil rice with vegetable is a wonderfully light rice side dish.  Here's the recipe for your info.

Ingredients:
White rice (Basmati preferably) - I cup
Masoor or Moong dal - 1/2 cup (i.e. either the pink or yellow lentil)
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin powder - 1 tsp
Red chilli powder - half tsp
Cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon, black peppercorns and bay leaf - few of each
Carrots - 2 - cut in round pieces
Beans - 50gms - cut in 1" pieces
Potatoes - 2 - cut in large cubes
Peas - 100gms
Onions - 1 - chopped finely
Ginger-garlic paste - 1 heaped tbsp
Oil - 3 tsp
Salt to taste

Method
1. Soak lentil and basmati rice for half an hour
2. Heat oil in a large cooking container and add cumin seeds.
3. When cumin seeds splutter add onion and fry till golden brown, then add ginger-garlic paste and fry till the aroma is released
4. Add all the other spices and vegetables and fry for 2 minutes
5. Drain rice and lentils and add to the cooking container.  Fry for 2 minutes or till rice starts crackling.  Add salt.
6. Add 5 cups of water and cook till rice is well cooked.  If you want a porriudgy consistency, you could add more water.
7. Serve hot with thick cut potato fries, curd or lemon pickle.

And here's how it looks without veggies, just rice and lentil.

Kitcheri or lentil rice always looks a bit pudgy .. it's supposed to.  So don't let that worry you.
Report Spam   Logged

"Say: Though the sea became ink for the Words of my Lord, verily the sea would be used up before the words of my Lord were exhausted, even though We brought the like thereof to help."  (18:109) Al-Kahf
Heba

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 02:59:08 am »

Tongue  -- yummy yarr!!!!!!!!!!!!!  thanks sister ..  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Heba

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 04:10:45 pm »

From a few repeated experiences recently i learnt that for plain boiled rice, water double the quantity of rice could make rice a bit soggy.  An aunt of mine was saying for 1 cup of uncooked rice use 1 and a half cups a water instead of 2 cups of water.  If rice is still not tender enough then a bit more water can be added.  But if u already add 2 cups and the rice gets too soft & sticky then there's nothing that can be done to reverse it.  Makes sense.

Btw - another advise she gave was that for a healthier option, don't dry the water.  instead, regardless of the quantity of rice, use a lot of water.  When water starts to boil, add rice.  Rice should now take a few minutes to cook as desired.  Then simply drain the water thru a spaghetti colander and let it drip and then transfer the boiled rice to a dish.  I like this option.  It helps to get rid of all the starch in the rice.
Report Spam   Logged

Zeynab
Founder
Admin

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 02:04:40 pm »

Yes, if u want the rice to be very firm, then one and a half cups of water for 1 cup of rice would be okay.  But I keep the ratio 1:2 for rice & water, respectively.

One correction please.  Even if you are cooking lentil rice, the proportion should be the same.  Measure the water in accordance with the rice.  E.g. If you are cooking lentil rice with 1 cup rice and half cup lentils, use 2 cups water just as you would if you were cooking only rice.  I learned this lately.  Putting additional water for lentil will make it too soggy .. unless anyone likes it that way. 
Report Spam   Logged

Heba

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 11:21:09 am »

Thanks for the confirmation sis.  I thought so.  I once put a little extra water for the lentils and found that the rice became a bit too tender.  After that I've stuck to the ratio of 1:2 rice/water, respectively, measurement.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: