Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 10:29:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Does Verse 4:119 (Surah An-Nissa) include a reference to plastic surgery?

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Does Verse 4:119 (Surah An-Nissa) include a reference to plastic surgery?  (Read 1737 times)
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

Badges: (View All)
« on: December 01, 2009, 11:14:47 pm »

This is for everyone's information.

Br. Shabir Ally's (Islamic Information Centre Toroto) brief opinion on Verse 4:119

I sent the following email to Brother Shabir Ally of Islamic Info Centre, Toronto.

"To: Brother Shabir Ally

Assalaam Alaikum, brother Shabir ..
I have heard some people say that Verse 4:119 (quoted below) can also be taken as referring to modern day cosmetic surgery.  Can I please have your opinion on this.  It would be very helpful.   Thank you and JazekAllah Khair ..

"And surely I will lead them astray, and surely I will arouse desires in them, and surely I will command them and they will cut the cattle's ears, and surely I will command them and they will change Allah's creation. Whoso chooses Satan for a patron instead of Allah is verily a loser and his loss is manifest."  (4:119 Surah An-Nissa)

His response:

Certainly the verse gives us reason to be cautious about making unnecessary changes to the creation of Allah. But one would have to consider each proposed change on its own.
Shabir

Sounds agreeable.

Related topic:
Is nose job really Haram in Islam?

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 01:50:17 am »

Right.  We certainly have to consider each case differently, depending on its background. 

If you think carefully and logically, some kinds of cosmetic procedures are done for the purpose of not changing but restoring oneself to the natural state, the way Allah created us.  For example, if someone's skin gets burnt, that person might be interested in going thru certain cosmetic procedures including surgery to restore the former natural looking appearance. 

Similarly, when some people want to age gracefully and go thru facelifts or other cosmetic procedures to get rid of fine lines and wrinkles and smoothen the skin, their intent is not to 'change' nor to 'transform' themselves but to look some bit as they did before when younger.  The fact that these people can't face the natural process of aging with cheer is a different matter and it would perhaps have been better if they did.  However, that's obviously not any big violation that may go beyond the bounds of forgivness.  Allah knows best but that's what I think.

With the kind of rigid attitude some hardliners take while interpreting cosmetic procedures / surgery as changing one's natural self, with that kind of logic, even application of everyday make-up should be a violation.  If someone puts lipstick, it can be construed for the purpose of beautifying and reshaping the natural pale lips by coloring it.  The only difference between everyday make-up and cosmetic surgery or other procedures is that the former is temporary which can be washed away with water and the latter is permanent or more permanent.

I think the types of cosmetic surgeries that are really done to change one's natural self and therefore would be Haram are for example, breast implants, buttock enhancement, tatooing, etc. etc.  These are really major alterations that do change the natural body and often for immodest purposes.

Not to mention, practices like cloning and gender change operations are the ones that aptly fit into the concept of changing the creation of Allah and are totally HARAM.

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 02:20:28 am »

MaashAllah, very intelligent perception sister Rose.  It was both interesting and educative going through your analysis of this subject.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 02:42:20 am »

Ah, and thanks for putting up this subject, sis Smiley  hope u r doin fine, Insh'Allah.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 07:26:28 am »

Very well discussed Sister Ruhi.

I recently came across Abu Ala Maududi's discourse on Verse 4:119 which was quite interesting except one aspect.

Quoting him on the explanation of Verse 4:119

"This does not condemn the alterations that man makes in the creation of God for their right and proper use, for in that case the whole of human civilization will stand condemned as a seduction of Satan.  The reference is to proper use of everything created by God Almighty.  What the Qur'an describes as devilish alterations is to make wrong and improper use of things against human nature and against their natural functions.  Hence, all those forms that are adopted as an escape from the designs of Nature are the results of the enticement of Satan e.g. sodomy, birth control, asceticism (probably similar to monasticism) etc. It is equally devilish that females should be made to give up their proper functions and to perform those duties which nature has assigned to males. Instances can be multiplied to show that the disciples of Satan consider the laws of the Creator of the Universe wrong and, therefore, are trying to "reform" them."

Unquote

Makes sense, except that bit on "birth control."   If married couples use birth control, I don't see anything un-Islamic nor against "human nature" in it.  It can also not be construed as "against natural functions."  Physical intimacy in conjugal relations can also exclude the purpose of producing children, if the couple already have the number of kids they desire or are able to take care of.   For instance, what's the point of a couple of below average financial means producing 15 kids and not being able to provide a single decent meal to any of them including themselves .. just because they refuse family planning?

Any comments?

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 07:46:28 am »

I absolutely concur on the issue you stated Sister Heba.  I don't know why he is putting birth control in the prohibited category.  That has nothing to do with changing the creation of God Almighty.  And the aspect of hindering natural functions doesn't include this either.  I can understand why many people are against abortion, but birth control is an entirely different concept.  From Maududi's view point as on birth control, many essential medications should also be in the same category.  For example, if someone is constipated, they shouldn't use laxatives because that can be spun around and explained as  'changing a natural existing condition.'  But we know for sure that isn't correct and Allah's orders don't include arguments like these.

As we see today when cost of living is sky high, over-population is devastating this world and ruining the lives of many children simply because their poor parents just aren't able to afford even the bare necessities. 

Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 07:48:33 am »

Hmmm, that's exactly what I was thinking too Sis.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 12:46:41 am »

This reminds me of a case.  Sometimes one might go for minor plastic surgery because of pressure or badgering from family and friends.   It happened with a friend of my sister when they were all in college or university.  That young lady had a slightly prominent nose, which lots of people have, and it didn't at all look out of proportion or anything as such.  She had 4 or 5 brothers who were very misogynistic.  They perpetually teased and ridiculed her over her nose.  She started feeling bullied and insulted.  She then started getting depressed.  Their parents were of course very nice and often scolded the boys loud to stop such behavior.  But they never stopped for long and would always return to deriding her, often they even derided her in front of their cousins and guests.  Eventually she couldn't cope with the anxiety and decided to go for a nose job.  They weren't too rich so she went to a plastic surgeon who wasn't very experienced, and her nose job wasn't done too well. That caused her greater anxiety, and still more to her poor parents.  She would lock herself in her room and wouldn't come out.  Then her parents cashed some of their investments and consulted a good plastic surgeon as they thought nothing was more important than their daughter's happiness and peace of mind. That doctor performed a good job and then she was okay, by Allah's Grace, Alhumdulilah.  This was almost a decade ago.  She still hasn't forgiven her brothers for that sort of bullying-ridiculing attitude for it was the only reason that drove her into feeling constantly conscious of her nose.

I would think many people face this kind of situation in today's mad world.  I am sure Allah Almighty understands it and such plastic surgeries are not Haram.    Moreover, plastic surgery cannot work wonders even by the best doctor in the world.  The alterations to one's facial features can only be that much in accordance with one's natural features as already created by HIM.

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 12:53:56 am »

Thanks for sharing this brother TS.  Interesting too.  You're right, situations like these aren't a rarity.  I'm also pretty sure it isn't Haram as Allah Almighty understands the pain and anxiety of the human mind best.  After all, there's no evil nor immodesty in the intentions of the person in such a case.  In this story you mentioned, the fault was of the mean & nasty brothers.  It was actually emotional abuse.  I'm glad her nose job went well the second time, thank Allah.

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 12:55:42 am »

Right Sister Zeynab, it was emotional abuse.  That's the right expression.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: