Guests wanting to sign-up as members MUST first introduce themselves in detail at Zainab's Lounge, accessible from Muslim Villa's Guestbook Board (top sticky post titled "Zainab's Lounge"). Approval of members is at the discretion of the MV Team. You have arrived at a place of serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Sublime Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism."
Muslim Villa
October 15, 2018, 06:02:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Did the Prophet (SAAW) fast on 10th Muharram?

+-
Shoutbox
October 09, 2018, 09:50:31 pm Ruhi_Rose: Salam brother.  Very easy. First click on the board title you wish to post in.  You'll find main board topics below and sub-boards (default label "child boards") above.  If you wish to post in main board click "new topic" button on top left.  If you wish to post in any of the sub-boards, click on that sub board title and then click "new topic" button on above left side.  You'll get the format for typing your post, then click "post" button below.
October 06, 2018, 12:46:27 pm momin: how can i post things here if i have something to post. Smiley
 Smiley
September 14, 2018, 12:33:22 am Ruhi_Rose: Yes br. TS, that's a very important article to read.
September 14, 2018, 12:08:22 am N. Truth Seeker: Thank u.  Allah bless u for remembering, sister.   Also reminding our guests to read: The traditional declaration of fasting on the 10th of Muharram .... the real story behind it. Same article in the blog too.
September 13, 2018, 11:09:22 pm Zeynab: Muharram 1440 A.H.
Please read why our Islamic new year is full of tragic memories.
June 08, 2018, 08:49:28 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Leilatul Qadr 1439 (2018) on June 8. To learn about this great Night, read our posts on Leilatul Qadr @ this thread.
May 16, 2018, 04:03:41 am Ruhi_Rose: Ramadan Mubarak to u too brother and to everyone.  May Allah accept our efforts.  Ameen.
May 16, 2018, 04:01:41 am N. Truth Seeker: Ramadan 2018 Mubarak to all.  Just finished sahoor, getting ready for Fajr.  Alhumdulilah.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Did the Prophet (SAAW) fast on 10th Muharram?  (Read 3823 times)
Zeynab
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

Badges: (View All)
« on: November 18, 2012, 04:03:04 am »

Walaikum Salaam, and thank you very much for this informative elucidation, sister.  Yes, I realize that fasting is prescribed in several situations in the Noble Quran, as you have quoted, as penance or punishments for certain mistakes or in lieu of our inability to perform certain duties commanded by Allah.  Therefore, Allah has specified those situations and of course there's no confusion about that. 

As for Verse 19:26 of Surah Maryam, quote "Lo! I have vowed a fast unto the Beneficent, and may not speak this day to any mortal."  Here fast refers to the 'fast of silence,' that is, not talking to anyone nor answering any questions of others.  It doesn't refer to the fast of abstaining from food.  This was the time when Virgin Maryam was about to give birth to Essa son of Virgin Maryam.  Therefore if you read the preceding verses from V.19:22-30 (which I quote below), these verses mention that before giving birth to Essa, Virgin Maryam withdrew to a far-away place in seclusion.  At that stage Allah did not want others to ask questions from Virgin Maryam because Allah's plan was to show the miracle to the people of that community through Essa by making him to talk from the cradle as a baby.  Until that time, his mother, Virgin Maryam, was commanded by Allah to remain silent.  That's what the verse means when it says "vowed a fast unto the Beneficent,"

Quoting Verses 19:22-30
"And she conceived him, and she withdrew with him to a far place. (19:22).
And the pangs of childbirth drove her unto the trunk of the palm-tree. She said: Oh, would that I had died ere this and had become a thing of naught, forgotten!  (19:23).   
Then (one) cried unto her from below her, saying: Grieve not! Thy Lord hath placed a rivulet beneath thee, (19:24).
And shake the trunk of the palm-tree toward thee, thou wilt cause ripe dates to fall upon thee. (19:25).
So eat and drink and be consoled. And if thou meetest any mortal, say: Lo! I have vowed a fast unto the Beneficent, and may not speak this day to any mortal. (19:26).
Then she brought him to her own folk, carrying him. They said: O Mary! Thou hast come with an amazing thing.  (19:27).
O sister of Aaron! Thy father was not a wicked man nor was thy mother a harlot.  (19:28).
Then she pointed to him. They said: How can we talk to one who is in the cradle, a young boy ?  (19:29).
He spake: Lo! I am the slave of Allah. He hath given me the Scripture and hath appointed me a Prophet," (19:30).

I will also quote Maududi's tafsir of V.19:26.  That too reflects much the same meaning.

QUOTE:
Maududi's translation of V.19:26
so eat and drink and refresh your eyes; and if you see a man, say to him, `As I have vowed to observe the fast (of silence) for the sake of the Merciful, I wi l l not speak to anyone today.'

Tafsir by Maududi of V.19:26
"That is, "You need not say anything with regard to the child. It is now Our responsibility to answer the critics." This also indicates why Mary was so sad and grieved. Had she been married and given birth to her first baby like any other mother, there was no occasion to tell her to observe "a fast of silence", though it was a common custom among the Jews."
UNQUOTE:

All of of the Verses you quoted on fasting as penance to make up for certain mistakes is perfectly true.  What I mean is that the imams have added too many fasts with a lot of emphasis, almost like fard.  They tell us to fast for the whole of Rajab.  Then they tell us to fast for certain days of Shaban, sometimes almost half of Shaban.  Then after Ramadan, they tell us to fast 6 more days after the first 3 days of Shawaal.  They also say to fast on the Day of Arafat on month of Zil-Hajj for those who don't go for Hajj.  Then they also say to fast on 9th & 10th of Muharram taken from the false hadith I quoted in the post.  Some imams say that we must fast every Monday throughout the year.  While they say so much, Allah only says to fast every Ramadan as an annual obligation.

Like I said, if someone personally decides at an individual level to fast additionally after or before Ramadan as their own personal desire to worship Allah, that's perfectly alright.  For example, if I feel very depressed and I decide to fast tomorrow because it comforts my heart and makes me feel close to Allah, that's very good and I have every right to fast.  But that's my personal choice and not a Quranic obligation from Allah, even though if Allah wishes He might give me extra blessings for it.  So, I can fast myself but I should not generalize it and force others to fast as a rule.  That would be bid'ah and unfortunately this seems to be the attitude of our imams.  They make their personal choice a necessity not only for themselves but for everyone.  As a result, people get so involved in following these bid'ah rules that they don't give too much attention to the fard commandment of Allah.  Some people who strictly observe fasts on Rajab and Shaban (which are not fard) get so tired that by the time Ramadan arrives, they get ill and end up missing some of their fard fasts because of the exhaustion caused by Rajab and Shaban fasting.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: