Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 29, 2024, 04:54:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Hoax tafsirs from hadith distort Verse 42:23

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Hoax tafsirs from hadith distort Verse 42:23  (Read 889 times)
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

Badges: (View All)
« on: April 27, 2010, 10:44:35 pm »

Another Hadith attack, ruining a Quranic interpretation.

BismAllah ..

قُل لَّآ أَسْـَٔلُكُمْ عَلَيْهِ أَجْرًا إِلَّا ٱلْمَوَدَّةَ فِى ٱلْقُرْبَىٰ ۗ وَمَن يَقْتَرِفْ حَسَنَةًۭ نَّزِدْ لَهُۥ فِيهَا حُسْنًا ۚ إِنَّ ٱللَّهَ
غَفُورٌۭ شَكُورٌ

"Say (O Muhammad, unto mankind): I ask of you no fee therefor, save lovingkindness among kinsfolk. And whoso scoreth a good deed We add unto its good for him. Lo! Allah is Forgiving, Responsive.  "  42:23  (Translation by M.M. Pickthall)

"Say [Prophet], ‘I ask no reward from you for this, only the affection due to kin.  If anyone does good, We shall increase it for him; God is most forgiving and most appreciative."  42:23  (Translation by Abdel Haleem)

I don't think anyone would consider the above verse difficult to interpret.   Also, this verse contains a Hadith within the Quran where  Allah Almighty instructs the Prophet (SAAW) to tell the people that they must be kind and loving to their relatives.  And whosoever is righteous, Allah bestows on them their wages in full, and more.

Now check this.  The same verse has been translated by Fakhr al-Razi and several others as:

"(O Prophet) tell (people) I don't ask you any wage (in return for my prophethood) except to love my near kin. And if anyone earns any good We shall give Him an increase of good (in return for it)"  (42:23)

By the use of a single additional word, "my" in the first sentence of this Ayah, this translation has been mis-translated carrying a very different meaning.  It would now mean that Allah is telling the Prophet to tell the people to love his (the Prophet's) family and relatives.   This is the result when translators intentionally bungle their work.  Their source?  There are at least three traditions - in other words - three hoax chatterings that are responsible for twisting the translation of Verse 42:23 and making it incorrect.

First tradition
Sunni commentators Ibn Kathir, Tabari, Qurtubi, Musnad Ahmad Ibn Hanbal and quite a few more have circulated a story claiming to quote a Hadith narration from Ibn Abbas that mentions:

"When the above verse (42:23) was revealed, the companions asked: "O' the Messenger of Allah! Who are those near kin whose love Allah has made obligatory for us?" Upon that the Prophet (PBUH&HF) said: "Ali, Fatimah, and their two sons." He (PBUH&HF) repeated this sentence thrice.  The good deed in the verse:  'And if anyone earns any good We shall give Him an increase of good (Quran 42:23)' is the love of family (Aal) of the Muhammad (PBUH&HF)."   Then he Prophet (PBUH&HF) continued:  "Verily Allah has dedicated my wage (of prophethood) to love of my Ahlul-Bayt, and I shall question you about it on the day of judgment."

Second tradition
Reference al-Tabaqat by Ibn Sa'd  and al-Sawa'iq al-Muhriqah by Ibn Hajar al-Haythami, Chapter 11, section 1, pg.231 says:

The Messenger of Allah (PBUH&HF) said: "I advice you to be kind to my Ahl-ul-Bayt for verily I will dispute you about them on the day of Judgment, and whoever I dispute him shall enter the Fire." He (PBUH&HF) also said: "One who regards me by regarding my Ahlul-Bayt, he has taken a promise from Allah (to enter the Paradise)."

Third tradition
Ace falsifier, Tirmidhi narrates a Hadith that reads: 'The Messenger of Allah said: "He who loves me and loves these two: al-Hasan and al-Husain, and loves their father and mother, he will be with me in Paradise."  

*sigh*  They just write what they want.  It's like a free-for-all open house!

Fourth opinion
Finally, Abdullah Yusuf Ali (the Quran translator) jumps in, causing total confusion with his own strange commentary of Verse 42:23.  Though his translation of this verse does not seem as wrong as one might expect, his explanation of it is totally awry as he's trying to keep it in line with Hadith traditions 1, 2 and 3 along with his own musings.

Say: "No reward do I ask of you for this except the love of those near of kin. ....."  (42:23)  (translated by Yusuf Ali)

He explains:  "No sort of tangible reward does the Prophet of Allah ask for proclaiming the Glad Tidings of Allah. But at least he has the right to ask that his kith and kin should not persecute him and put all sorts of obstacles in his way, as did the Quraish against the holy Prophet." (Yusuf Ali's commentary of 42:23)   Rubbish, of course.  I would be grateful if anyone enlightened me how Yusuf Ali got this idea into his head.  When and why did the Prophet ever feel or mention that his family was persecuting him?

Also, 'loving Ali and his family' required the Hadith writers to play with the tafsir of Verse 19:96, Surah Maryam
Furthermore, al-Kateeb and Ibn Hajar narrated on the authority of Anas Ibn Malik the necessity of loving Ali bin Abi Talib saying:   The Prophet (PBUH&HF) said: "The title of the Book (Saheefah) of Believer is love of Ali Ibn Abi Talib."    This has led to the total misinterpretation of Verse 19:96, Surah Maryam.   According to the writings of some guy called Hafeez al-Salafi, Muhammad Ibn Hanafiyah is supposed to have narrated: "There will not be a believer unless in whose heart love of Ali and his family exists."  Thus, the imams have accepted this false narration of Ibn Hanafiyah as the "tafsir" of Verse 19:96.  For your information, Verse 19:96 says "Lo! those who believe and do good works, the Beneficent will appoint for them love.   Very definitely this verse is NOT about loving Ali bin Abu Talib or anyone in particualar.  The verse simply asserts that Allah will bestow love in the hearts of believers who are of righteous conduct.   But the hadith as usual has messed it up with it's unwanted interference.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 06:18:40 pm »

wow!  u see that?!!  With every darn hadith that interests these people, they search the Quran to pick some Ayat in order to fit it with that hadith.  The more we study the 'activities' of hadith, the more we learn.  At the beginning when I began gettin to know the madness of the hadith literature by reading the various collections at random, astonished as I was, I thought hadith to be a silent lunatic which keeps bellowing constantly but minds its own business by keeping itself locked up inside that lunatic asylum.  But as I move ahead, rummaging through the garbage of the hadith tradition, it reveals that this evil doesn't even want to mind its own business.  It's destructiveness is intrusive to the extent that it attacks the Noble Quran directly by selectubg Quranic verses and matching them with its own contents which of course means hadith plays a huge role in changing the meanings of many Quranic verses in the name of "tafsirs."  The poor naive so-called believers who always prefer to be spoon fed rather than think for themselves are charmed by such intrusions of hadith.   Instead of incarcerating the villian, they give greater freedom to it.  I pray to Allah to pick out and protect the few sincere ones of this Ummah and punish the rest, the unfaithful traitors who have prefered their own handpicked icons with labels of "imams, sheikhs and ulemas" in preference to the final Messenger chosen by Allah.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: