Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 29, 2024, 06:48:36 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

'Nauroz' - what is it?

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: 'Nauroz' - what is it?  (Read 6114 times)
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

Badges: (View All)
« on: May 20, 2010, 04:03:26 am »

Can anyone please tell me what's this 'nauroz' celebration about with some Muslims as in Iran and Afghanistan?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 04:40:40 am »

Salam sister Ruhi.  Hope you and your family are well, Insh'Allah.

This celebration is supposed to be a harbinger of the spring season.  It's also defined as the "new year," I don't know why.  Personally I don't agree with it at all because it doesn't have Islamic origin.  Nauroze is a Persian word meaning  ‘new day’. It is a festival which dates back to 3,000 years where King Jamshed of Iran (a pagan) called astrologers and declared 21st March as occasion of Nauroze celebrating arrival of new year and spring.  In other words it's a Zoroastrian custom, or should I say, the origins of Nauroze is from the Zoroastrians of ancient Persia.  It's very similar to ancient European pagan celebrating of Easter which actually started from ancient Babylon dedicated to one of their pagan deities of fertility.  Real sick minds!  This rotten idea was also shared in Europe by the Anglo Saxons as a season of procreation and thus introducing symbols like eggs and bunny rabbits.  Eggs to display the sign of new life and rabbits as symbols of breeding.  Initially Europeans celebrated Easter as coming of the spring season when the discomfort of bitter winter begins to end. But in little time all these bad traditions got mixed up into Easter.  Surely has nothing to do with observing or commemorating the "resurrection of  Jesus" son of Virgin Maryam, which is what it's supposed to be.  Nauroze comes on similar Easter lines marking the start of spring and use the egg symbol.  Some Farsi idiot said in Easter egg is a sign of resurrection and in Nauroze it marks the beginning of spring.  Why should egg be any sign of spring?  He couldn't explain that because he was too embarrassed to mention its actual pagan roots. 

It's celebrated in Iran, Afghanistan and Kurdistan.  I was told it's also observed in Pakistan but only amongst the Ismaili and Zoroastrian communities of this country.   Members of these communities living in the West also celebrate it there.  In Iran (and I'm sure in other communities too) the celebration of Nauroze has lots of customs involving superstitions.  For example, many homes in Iran decorate a table with seven items symbolizing different concepts for spring and new year. All these things start with alphabet 'S' or the letter 'sin'  in Persian and so, this table is called ‘Haft-e-Sin’ (meaning seven 's'). When relatives and friends visit each other carrying gifts, they make sure that they see the decoration of 'haft-e-sin.'  There's not much consensus between the choice of these seven items but usually include stuff like the following:

- a sweet pudding called 'samanu' made from wheat germ symbolizing affluence

- a sort of dried fruit called 'senjed' in Persian symbolic of love

- garlic or 'seer' symbolic of medicine

- apples or 'saib' in Persian symbolic of beauty and health

- vinegar or 'sirka' in Persian symbolizing age & patience

- coins or 'sekah' in farsi symbolizing wealth

I can't think of anything else at the moment, but there are few other stuff as well beginning with 's' that are put on the table.

Other items on the table generally include rose water for its cleansing power, lit candles as a sign of happiness, painted eggs as sign of fertility or having large families, and there is always the religious book of the community on the table.  The Muslim Iranians, Afghans and Kurds keep a copy of the Quran.  Other communities keep their own scriptures.  I find it really offensive when they put the Quran alongside an very un-Quranic celebration.  Allah Almighty will deal with these people. 

They put the Quran on the table to make it look like a Muslim celebration.  But the celebration itself is thoroughly un-Islamic is something they don't realize.  Thus they are just using the Quran to make their violation look milder.  There are many other myths, superstitions and all kinds of nonsense totally unwarranted in the Noble Quran.  And last but not least, 21st March has NO significance of being a special day in the Quran. 

Now here's something really irritating - the first bunch of lies in order to connect it with Islamic culture for the purpose of making the Muslims who celebrate Nauroze feel that they are not doing anything against Islam.  They say totally unfounded things as in Hadith, one of the stories being that when Salman Farsi embraced Islam, the Prophet (pbuh) allowed the celebration of Nauroze or something to this effect.  They have also made up a story that the Prophet (pbuh) used to pray on this day .. absolutely FALSE.   There's yet another story that Nauroze became more recognized among Muslims when Imam Hussain married the Iranian princess, Shehr Bano, after the Muslim conquest of Iran.  May Allah Almighty punish them for such lies.  First, there is NO record, NO evidence, of Imam Hussein ever marrying a Persian.  If he had, she would definitely have reverted to Islam because Zoroastrians are pagans.  In that case she would not be celebrating Nauroze at all.  There is NO information in history of Imam Hussein ever married a non-Muslim, let alone Nauroze becoming popular in the Muslim community because of her.   This is sick information!

The second bunch of lies is no less appalling.  Some Nauroze celebrators babble that Prophet Adam was given his soul on the day of Nauroze .. lol .. hilarious!  It continues with more ridiculous claims that Prophet Noah's ark was rescued on Nauroze, that Prophet Abraham destroyed the idols on Nauroze, that Imam Ali got married to Fatima Zahra on Nauroze and that the last Sermon of the Prophet (pbuh) took place on Nauroze.  As anyone can easily sense, this concocted drama runs parallel to the Sunni hadith which says that Friday is the best day because Adam was created on a Friday, he entered Paradise on a Friday, was banished from Paradise on a Friday, that Adam died on a Friday, the first trumpet announcing the end of times will be blown on a Friday and that the second trumpet announcing resurrection will be blown on a Friday.  What's happening here is that both Sunnis and Shiias promoting their bad ideas are using an identical approach, both are competing with each other in lies and transgressions, and both are completely out of touch with the Noble Quran.

May Allah (The Greatest) guide these vile idiots. 
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 06:24:05 am »

lol .. looool .... this f****** Nowruz is one pagan custom but the Shiias (mainly Iranian Shiias), in order to justify its celebration, have come up with bulky bluffs and tales which are running neck & neck with Mr. Bukhari & Co.   

Br. TS is right about everything he stated .. the false attempts to connect Nowroz with Islam.   There are more lies to this affect.   Since we have already been tortured enough by Sunni hadiths, let's see some variety in this garbage by sifting through a few Shiia hadiths as well.

According to Shiia narrations, the 6th imam (whoever he was) claims the importance of Nowruz by stating:

1. The sun attained its brightness
2. The wind started to blow
3 .The Ark of Prophet Nuh a.s. stopped near Mount Judi (near Najaf in Iraq) and saved from drowning
4. Prophet Ibrahim a.s. broke the idols of his community
5. Angel Jibrael brought the first revelation to our Holy Prophet s.a.w.
6. The Holy Prophet s.a.w. lifted Imam Ali a.s. on his shoulders for removing the idols from the Kaa'ba
7. The Holy Prophet s.a.w. announced Imam Ali a.s. as his successor at Ghadir-e-Khum
8. Our 12th Imam will reappear and hang Dajjal in a place known as Kinasa in Kufa.

To make Nowroz look more like an Islamic occasion, Imam Jaffar Sadiq is supposed to have said that on Nowroz a person should fast, take a bath and put on good clothes and perfume.  He is also supposed to have said that pray 4 extra rakats after offering Zohr salaat. 

Some Syed Seestani also gave a fatwa saying one must fast on Nowroz.

There's also a split among Shiias on observing Nowroz.  Pakistani Shiias are mostly against it while majority of Iranian Shiias are for it, though some Iranian shiias also say they are not at all comfortable with it.    Those who do observe it claim that Imam Jafer Siddiq celebrated Nowroz when he went to Madinah and instructed others to do the same.  In this regard, I came across a Shiia conversation (I think at Shiia.Chat forum) where one shiia who rejected this claim stated that when Imam Jafir Sadiq was in Madinah he didnt followed persian calender and so he could not have observed Nowroz nor told others to observe it.   Many Shiias (mostly Pakistani Shiias) also flatly reject that Nowroz had any significance during the time of the Prophet (SAW).   There are other Shiias who agree that Nowroz does not have any religious significance in Islam, but they say it's okay to celebrate it as a social event.  I don't know how they don't realise that even as a social event it's not okay to celebrate it because it has clear pagan (zoroastrian) roots and pagan ideology.

BTW, one more untruthful and nonsensical Shiia hadith implying kufr  (I don't know who wrote it), similar to many of those obnoxious Sunni hadiths I found, which says, "The Holy Prophet (S) said 'To look at the face of an alim is ibadah.' "   Taubah!  Completely FALSE!  This implies worshiping humans.  Sick!

Be it Shiia or Sunni, what a river of mess these people have made after quitting the Noble Quran.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 02:13:36 am »

Waalaikum salam br. ts.  we are fine, Alhumdulilah.  I pray the same for u and yr family, Insh'Allah.

Thank u so much for this detailed account of Nauroz.  It's now pretty clear to me.

As you can see from all of the above description, keeping the Quran is the only Muslim symbol.  Rest are myths, superstitions and all kinds of nonsense totally unwarranted in the Noble Quran.  And last but not least, 21st Marach has NO significance of being a special day in the Quran. 

Absolutely agree.

Now here's something really irritating - the first bunch of lies in order to connect it with Islamic culture for the purpose of making the Muslims who celebrate Nauroze feel that they are not doing anything against Islam.  They say totally unfounded things as in Hadith, one of the stories being that when Salman Farsi embraced Islam, the Prophet (pbuh) allowed the celebration of Nauroze or something to this effect.  They have also made up a story that the Prophet (pbuh) used to pray on this day .. absolutely false.   There's yet another story that Nauroze became more recognized among Muslims when Imam Hussain married the Iranian princess, Shehr Bano, after the Muslim conquest of Iran.

The second bunch of lies is no less appaling.  Some Nauroze celebrators babble that Prophet Adam was given his soul on the day of Nauroze .. lol .. hilarious!  It continues with more ridiculous claims that Prophet Noah's ark was rescued on Nauroze, that Prophet Abraham destroyed the idols on Nauroze, that Imam Ali got married to bibi Fatima Zahra on Nauroze and that the last Sermon of the Prophet (pbuh) took place on Nauroze.  As anyone can easily sense, this concocted drama runs parallel to the Sunni hadith which says that Friday is the best day because Adam was created on a Friday, he entered Paradise on a Friday, was banished from Paradise on a Friday, that Adam died on a Friday, the first trumpet announcing the end of times will be blown on a Friday and that the second trumpet announcing ressurection will be blown on a Friday.  What's happening here is that both Sunnis and Shiias promoting their favorite ideas are using an identical approach and both are completely out of line with the Noble Quran.

OMG!  this is appaling.  i repeat, you have explained the reality of it very well.  It's very definitely based on superstitions and against Islamic precepts.  I suppose the idea of putting the Noble Quran on the table amidst all those symbols of superstitions is for the purpose of soothing their guilty conscience, using the presence of the Quran to make this occasion appear in line with Islam.

The comparison of the Sunni / Shiia hadiths on Friday and Nowroz respectively is mind boggling.

Btw,,,, what's the approach of the post revolution Iranian govt toward Nowroz?  do they look upon it as something "Islamic?"

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 02:24:38 am »

Sister Heba, as usual, your comments are both educative as well as funny   Cheesy

in order to justify its celebration, have come up with bulky bluffs and tales which are running neck & neck with Mr. Bukhari & Co. 

Grin 

According to Shiia narrations, the 6th imam (whoever he was) claims the importance of Nauroz by stating:

1. The sun attained its brightness
2. The wind started to blow
3 .The Ark of Prophet Nuh a.s. stopped near Mount Judi (near Najaf in Iraq) and saved from drowning
4. Prophet Ibrahim a.s. broke the idols of his community
5. Angel Jibrael brought the first revelation to our Holy Prophet s.a.w.
6. The Holy Prophet s.a.w. lifted Imam Ali a.s. on his shoulders for removing the idols from the Kaa'ba
7. The Holy Prophet s.a.w. announced Imam Ali a.s. as his successor at Ghadir-e-Khum
8. Our 12th Imam will reappear and hang Dajjal in a place known as Kinasa in Kufa. 

Gosh!  what on earth is happening to, we, Muslims!?  Falsehoods come to them as easily as a cup of tea

There's also a split among Shiias on observing Nauroz. 

well yes, in Pakistan shiias aren't crazy about this festival at all.  It's celebrated by the minority ismailis and parsis only.  And I'm sure u r right.  Even in Iran, not everyone supports it, though majority do and I wish they didn't.

And yeah, u r right that it shouldn't even be observed as a social event.  As Muslims our social lives cannot be separated from our Quranic beliefs.

one more untruthful and nonsensical Shiia hadith implying kufr  (I don't know who wrote it), similar to many of those obnoxious Sunni hadiths I found, which says, "The Holy Prophet (S) said 'To look at the face of an alim is ibadah.' "  Taubah! Completely FALSE! This implies worshiping humans.  Sick!

Taubah!  this is much worse than that Sunni hadith of either Bukhari or one of his likes which says even fishes in the ocean praise the ulemas .... 
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 03:14:36 am »

Really interesting thread.  Br. ts and sister Heba .. very useful inputs.  I only knew that Nauroz is a pre-Islamic custom of Persia.  I didn't know they are coming up with all these falsehoods in an attempt to assimilate Nauroz with Islam.  Also I'm glad u clarified the point that even among the Shiias there's a difference of opinion regarding this celebration.  Sister Ruhi is right.  Pakistani Shiias don't have this custom.  Only the minorities, that is, Ismails (or Agha Khanis, as they are also called) and the Parsis (zorastrians) celebrate it.  Parsis or zoroastrians in Pakistan no longer have their roots in Persia.  They are very ancient immigrants from Persia, came about a thousand years ago, and now with inter-marriages with Indians, Parsis of South Asia have their roots in the Gujrat province of India and the local language of that province is their mother tongue.  They don't speak Persian either. 

And yes, that comparison of Shiia / Sunni hadith is a good way to educate everyone on the concoctions in both sides.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 04:19:59 am »

Yeah, it should be known that nowroz is not a shiia custom, it's an old persian custom that's been coming along there.    Shiias elsewhere hardly know about it which includes the shiias of south Lebanon, Bahrain, Iraq, Pakistan and elsewhere .. maybe a few other shiia communities too.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: