Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 05:34:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Shiia madhabs

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Shiia madhabs  (Read 514 times)
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

Badges: (View All)
« on: July 01, 2010, 06:59:33 am »

Salaams all.  Me, have a question again.  Sorry to keep bothering you folks Smiley

Can anyone please inform me if there are madhabs (schools of thought) in the Shiia sect?   I'm sure there are as the Muslims of today can't live without divisions and sub-divisions.  But I haven't heard of the Shiia madhabs as I do keep hearing so much of Sunni madhabs like Malikis, Shafis etc.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 09:18:30 am »

Walaikum Salaam sister.  No need to be sorry Smiley  u r not bothering anyone.  The purpose of this forum is to help people with correct information.  I think I can help u with this query, Insh'Allah.

Unfortunately there are madhabs in the Shiia sect too.  I wouldn't know much about the ideologies of their different madhabs, just like I don't take much trouble to learn the ideologies of the various Sunni madhabs.  But both Shiia and Sunni groups are sub-divided and the arguments that go on between them are the most ridiculous, each hurling insults on the other. How much they have come into the grasp of Shaitaan. 

The Sunni madhabs, that are much talked about, are:

1)   Maliki
2)   Shafi
3)   Hanibali
4)   Hanafi

All the above madhabs are named after their Sunni imams.

The Shiia counterparts are:

1)   Isn-e-Asheri (commonly known as "twelvers" meaning the 12 imams they follow. Also called Jaferia group but Shiias usually don't like using this expression).

2)   Alawi (sometimes also called Nusairys)

3)   Alevi

4)   Zaidi

5)   Ismailis

So, there are actually more madhabs within the Shiia sect than the Sunnis.

Isn-e-Asheri is the biggest Shiia madhab.  It's said that 90% of shiias are of this madhab including Iranians, making all other Shiia madhbas a minority.  They are called "twelvers" because they follow 12 imams who the Shiias believe are the real religious & political successors of the Prophet (SAAW).  Imam Ali bin Abi Talib is considered as the first imam of this line, followed by the descendents of Ali and Fatimah Zahra, each imam being the son of the previous imam, with the exception of Imam Hussain bin Ali who was the brother of Imam Hassan bin Ali.  Imam Zain-al-Abedin was the 4th imam.  The final and 12th  imam is believed by them to be Imam Mahdi, who was supposed to have disappeared in the year 874.  The twelver Shiias believe he went into hiding and is still alive and will come eventually as a saviour to bring justice in the world.  By the way, Sunnis also believe in this contrived story of return of Mahdi about which we have put a post in our forum.

The Alawi Shiias are in Syria comprising of 20% of the country's population.  However, the Syrian president is Alawi Shiia.   Alawis take their name from Imam Ali.   The Alawis claim to trace their origin from the 11th imam named Hassan Al-Askari and his student, Ibn Nusayr.  That's why until recently Alawis were also known as Nusayris.  But the Alawis consider it derogatory if called 'Nusayri.'  They prefer to be called 'Alawi' because of its association with Imam Ali. 

The Alevi are another Shiia group living in Turkey.  They are quite different from both twelvers and Alawis.  Instead of masjids, they worship in assembly houses where men and women pray side by side.  This Shiia group or madhab is quite into sufiism and believes in communicating with the spiritual world.  They follow some so-called saint of the 13th century named Haji Bektash Wali.  Socially they are said to follow the Anatolian folk culture.

The Zaidi Shiia are also supposed to be very different from twelvers and Alewis in their own ways.  This Shiia group is named after Zaid bin Ali, grandson of Imam Hussain.  It was formed by the followers of Zaid, who had led an unsuccessful rebellion against one of the Ummayad rulers in the year 740.  Thus, Zaidis see Zaid as the 5th imam.  According to the Zaidi political theory, Ali, Hassan and Hussain are the first three rightful Imams; after them, the imamat or leadership is open to whoever of their descendants establishes himself.  I have also heard that Zaidis do not believe in the infallibility of the Imams.  Zaidis also do not believe that the imamat must pass from father to son, but believe it can be held by any descendant of Ali. They also reject the Twelver notion of a hidden Imam.  For these reasons they are supposed to get along better with Sunnis than the twelvers or Alawis of Syria.   However, the Zaidi group is supposed to be divided.  This means, all Zaidis don't follow Zaid bin Ali.  There's another branch of Zaidis called 'Wastis' who are much the same as the twelvers or Isn-e-Asheri group.

Ismailis (presently also called Agha Khanis) are officially the a Shiia group but they are not really included in the mainstream Shiia sects of the twelvers or Alawis, not even with the Zaidis or Alevis.  Because of their beliefs, Ismailis are completely out of the fold of Islam - heretics, to be precise.   As we know, they don't believe in Prophet Muhammad (SAAW) as the final Messenger, and neither do they consider salaat, zakat, fasting and hajj as obligatory.  They follow nothing of the Quran nor do they read it.  They never visit the masjids.  Instead, they have their own community centers which is more like a social community center where they gather, spend time, chat and pray in their own way.

Their history is the most complicated of all.  I find it awfully confusing.  For the sake of information, I'll mention a little .... whatever bit I know.  Ismails had a fallout from mainstream Shiia after the death of the 6th imam, Jafer bin Muhammad (also called Imam Jafer al-Sadiq).  Majority of the Shiias followed Imam Jafer's son, Musa bin Jafer al-Kazim.  But a few of them followed Musa's brother, Ismail.  These came to be known as "Ismails." To cut a very long story short, the Ismailis we see today sprung from a person by the name of Nizar who had with some connections with the Fatamid dynasty in the 11th century.  They were known as Nizari Ismails (aka Assassins).  They were a violent lot and ruled from 11th to 13th centuries, starting off from Perisa with small conquests in other nearby regions.  They were regarded as a very troublesome sect and were finally crushed in the 12th or 13th century by the Mamelukes of Egypt.  These Nizari Ismailis continued to survive in Persia (Iran) as a small heretical group.  In 1818 one of them was granted the title Aga Khan by the shah of Persia. In 1840, after an unsuccessful revolt against the shah, this Aga Khan fled to India with a bunch of his family. There he and his descendants became leaders of a small Ismaili community.  From India, they spread to Pakistan and to some Middle-Eastern and African countries. The present Aga Khan (aka playboy) born in 1946, is the fourth in the line.

Hope you find this total mess of the Ummah informative Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 05:33:24 pm »

This was very interesting br. pt.  It was educative for me too as I honestly didn't know much of these facts on Shiia madhabs.  I guess the fact that the Isne Asheri madhab comprises of more than 90% of the Shiia population turns all the others into such tiny minorities that to an outsider it seems like Shiias don't have madhabs at all. 

However, a careful reading shows that as far as divisions are concerned, the Shiia community is in just as great a mess as the Sunnis.   

May Allah Almighty help our Ummah.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 03:59:26 am »

wow!  sure this is informative.  But as sister zeynab correctly put, since more than 90% follow Isna-e-Asheri madhab among shiias, that makes the rest into such tiny ones that for practical purposes they're non-existent.  Among sunnis, all of their madhabs are quite large.  However, that's also because the sunni sect is much larger.   I guess the ratio is 90/10 sunni/shiia  respectively.  It's said that worldwide, roughly 9 out of every 10 Muslims are sunni, rest are shiia. 

Actually the sunnis had few more madhabs earlier in the middle ages which gradually fizzled off.  It's said that several of the "sahabas" founded their own schools.  There were 2 other schools named Zahiri and Jariri perhaps established after these 4 major sunni schools which didn't last long.  I think today Hanafi school is the largest and then comes Shafi.  Maliki is mostly in the Middle-East. 

And brother PT, u forgot to mention the Ibadis.  lol .... that's good.  It's always better to cut the mess short by lessening the divisions.  However, just for info, though Ibadis at present hardly exisit anywhere except in the corner of the southern strip of Arabian peninsula (in Oman and Zanjibar), it was supposed to be the first madhab established.  In other words it was the start of all divisions to follow.  Some are of the view that Ibadi group started about 50 or 60 years after the death of the Prophet (SAAW) which means as soon as the rule of the 4 righteous caliphs was over.  Some say founder of Ibadi group was someone called Abdullah Ibadh al-Tamimi.  Others say it was a person called Zaidi al-Azdi from Oman.  Only Allah Almighty knows what's true and what's not.  The Ibadi group claims to be independent, neither Sunni nor Shiia.   

The following map gives a good idea of the distribution of sunni / shiia madhabs (rather i should say, sunni shiia mess)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8d/Madhhab_Map2.png
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 04:05:15 am »

READERS KEEP IN MIND - THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT THE DIVISION OF 2 BRANCHES OF THE MUSLIMS, SUNNI AND SHIIA.  BUT IT'S ABOUT THE SUB-DIVISIONS OF THESE 2 BRANCHES OR SECTS INTO A TOTAL OF 9 OR 10 MADHABS. 

Yeah, sounds cumbersome and needless!  May Allah (The Most High) guide our Ummah. 
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 05:02:19 am »

Thanks all, so so much.   Abiding by the Noble Quran completely and being just a Muslim, I am not into the Sunni / Shiia tussle and therefore neither am I into madhabs.  However, I thought it's important to know the details so I am aware of what's going on, and I didn't have enough information.  All of you have given me a very good education of the aspect of madhabs.  Sister Cat's information of Ibadis and the last 2 Sunnis madhabs which fizzled off were matters I never knew.  Thanks again.  The map indicating the distribution of all madhabs globally says much. 

One more thing, it's regarding salaat of Shiias, I know Shiias often combine their Dohr and Asr prayers, and perhaps also Maghrib and Isha and thus sit down to offer salaat 3 times a day.  However, do they also offer same number of Fard and Sunnah rakats as Sunnis?   I offer the Fard and Sunnah rakats according to the Sunni practice. 
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 06:18:23 am »

I know for sure that Shiias offer obligatory or fard rakats exactly as the Sunnis do, which is as follows:

* Dawn prayers (Fajr) - 2 Rakats.
* Midday (Zuhr) and Afternoon prayers (Asr) - each one consisting of 4 Rakats.
* Dusk prayers (Maghrib) - 3 Rakats and Night prayers (Isha) - 4 Rakats.

After finishing Zuhr, they pray Asr immediately after.  I'm not sure if they combine Maghrib and Isha similarly, but I've heard from certain sources that they do.

I doubt if Shiias offer Sunnah rakats.  However, I am pretty certain they do offer extra or nafl rakats with other titles.

Another interesting point.  I have been told that because 'Ameen' is derived from a Hebrew word 'Amen,'  therefore the Shiia Fiqh prohibits the use of the word "Ameen" during Salaat, otherwise their Salaat becomes invalid. However, they are permitted to say "Ameen" when not in Salaat.   Generally, instead of Ameen, the Shiiaa say 'AlHumdulilah.'
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 01:10:10 am »

Thanks for all the additional info sister Cat.  That's education for me .....  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: