Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 10:40:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

"White nights of Ramadan"

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: "White nights of Ramadan"  (Read 1058 times)
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

Badges: (View All)
« on: August 07, 2010, 03:33:13 am »

As-salam Alaykom folks!  Does anyone know anything about this custom of "white nights of Ramadan?"  I was hearing about it recently in a gathering of friends with kids in our neighbor's house who are also preparing for Ramadan.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 04:09:18 am »

Oh!  this is just a fiction story written by two authors.  I think one is Arab named Maha Addasi and other, Ned Gannon, is from some western country.  I haven't read it, just heard and read about it a little online.  I would never allow my kids to read it nor to participate in such a practice.  It seems to be a copy-cat attempt by Muslims living in America and Europe to create a similar practice for Muslim children as Halloween is for non-Muslim children.

This book is about a candy festival that goes on for three nights in a row in the middle of Ramadan. The festival called Girgian (pronounced gur-gee-an) is celebrated that shows a fun tradition for kids.

It's supposed to teach the spirit of giving and community-sharing in the month of Ramadan.  But common on!  This is disrespectful.  Ramadan is not about fun and children's games of collecting candies as a sign of giving & sharing.  In Ramadan charity is meant for the needy, who genuinely cannot afford the necessities of life.  Giving and sharing in Ramadan must be done with a spirit of earnestness with the thought of Allah, not as a jest to amuse kids.  Children and their families, most of whom might be financially well-to-do, are simply making light of a very important month that must be taken seriously when fasting and extra worship are obligatory as a command directly from the Noble Quran.  Is this the way for parents and elders to teach their children the importance of Ramadan?  With such teachings of playing games begging for candies door-to-door, what respect will these children have for the Holy month of Ramadan when they grow up?  Such books should be banned as notions like these are definitely a misrepresentation of the month of Ramadan.

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 04:15:19 am »

Dear me!  how do people get such strange ideas for celebrating a month as important as Ramadan?  As for that Western author, he wouldn't know the importance of Ramadan, but astonishing how Muslims accept these practices unless they are not serious about helping their children to be Faith oriented.

Thanks Sister Heb ....

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 03:37:30 am »

Isn't this crazy!   It's a total misrepresenting of the month of Ramadan for the purpose of making it like halloween .. AstaghfarAllah!
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 06:24:28 am »

Taubah .... never knew of this.  These type of parents apparently don't give a damn about faith orientation concerning their children.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 06:26:41 am »

They don't care at all ....
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 09:41:23 pm »

Maha Addasi is the author and Ned Gannon is the illustrator.  This is the book.

I won't call it a tradition, it's a typical copy-cat innovation in today's non-Muslim oil gulf states, borrowing from the holiday spirits of the West.  That's all they're capable of.   Every social event that occurs in that part of the puppet-world has it's roots in Western practices.  I doubt if people in northern Middle East even know about it.   Girgian, which means candies and sweets, is a clear wannabe Halloween.   It's something that started as recently as four or five years ago .. or maybe less. 

It's about a little girl named Noor who talks of her brothers walking the streets with lanterns (fanoos) asking for treats (candies) from neighbors for three nights.   The book tries to sprinkle some Islamic touch, mentioning that while the brothers go candy-picking, the sister offers salat and reads the Quran (without highlighting any Quranic Verses nor principles).  Then the girl has a tete-a-tete with her grandmother who tells her that the "true meaning of Ramadan is spending time with family and sharing with those less fortunate."  Indeed this is important, very important.  However, the true meaning of Ramadan is spending time with the Quran, and in accordance with Quranic teachings, children will learn to love their family and help the needy. Otherwise their learnings will have no support and can fizzle out any time.   What can be a better time to learn than the blessed month of Ramadan?  But the kids' book "White Nights of Ramadan" teaches nothing about the Message of the Quran.   That's much too regrettable.   Neither does the author  have the dignity to give traditional names to Noor's brothers.  Their names are "Sam" and "Dan."

Some thoughtless commentator in the blog of Islamic School Librarian says "I love learning about people’s Ramadan traditions, and am slightly embarrassed to admit that I never knew about this Gulf tradition of Girgian."   LOL.   I also never knew ... simply because this isn't a Ramadan tradition to begin with.  It's borrowed from the heathen Celtic Halloween tradition.  

Ramadan is the month of the Noble Quran, the month of Truth .. the only month in the year that's all about the Noble Quran.  If parents want to make it a fun month of kids, they must organize that 'fun' based on truth.  Needless to say, there's so much to discuss on the Quran that just 30 days of Ramadan is not enough.  Presentations of Quranic contents in a simple, straightforward and interesting manner for children can easily be rendered which kids will love.  Most relevantly, it will help prepare a foundation of truthful knowledge in their lives from a tender young age which would be immensely fruitful in future.  Ramadan for sure must NOT to be mixed with crazy non-Islamic traditions for the sake of amusing kids just because the parents themselves aren't interested in the Quran. 

Related posts:
On fasting in Shaban & Rajab,  the BIG MESS by Hadith and the imams!  
What exactly is Leilatul Raghaib?
How far would you agree with this perception of Rajab & Shaban? 
Laila-tul-Barah
Custom of Shab-e-Barat and its link with orthodox Christianity 

Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2019, 09:47:11 pm »

Thanks for putting up these details dear Sister.  I never knew them.  In order to beware of falsehood, it's necessary to know what it's about.   There is no "Girgian" in northern ME.   

What's displayed as a main topic (giving candies to the unfortunate) needs to be a sub-topic after discussing the lessons imparted directly by the Quran.  Study of the Quran is something which this so-called tradition excludes.

Arabian peninsula after discovery of oil is devoid of indigenous traditions.  It's only capable of stealing Western practices, refurbishing them a little by tampering here and there, and then presenting them as their traditions. 

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2019, 09:51:05 pm »

Wallahi !!   What fabrications!  That's head spinning.   So, why is it called "white nights"?   
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2019, 09:56:24 pm »

The connotation of "white nights" is supposed to be the middle of Ramadan when the moon is full and bright.   Suddenly for these storytellers, mid-Ramadan becomes "a special time."  They forget, the entire 30 days of Ramadan is a special time because it's the month of the Quran.   The Almighty has not told us which day of this month He began revealing His Final Message.  Thus we are to take the entire month as very, very special.  

So, what's the so-called Girgian invented in 2016 and labelled an "Arabian tradition?"    According to these fib tellers filling the minds of children with useless tales, the "festival of Girgian" comes in the middle of Ramadan when the moon is full.   They call these middle days “the three whites” consisting of the day of the full moon, the day before it and the day after it.   This is the time when children go from house to house collecting treats (candies) from their neighbors.  Undeniably a blazing aper of Halloween.  Furthermore, the nonsensical tradition is focused more on the moon than the Quran.    This is how doors are kept open for interpolations to roll in.  This is precisely how and why presently the Christian and Jewish faith are filled with myths and gossips with not a shred of authenticity.  Truth is precious.  It needs to be treasured carefully by keeping away such old wives tales just to amuse children.  

The image below says:  As Noor and her grandfather walked to the mosque to deliver the basket, she remembered what her grandmother said about Ramadan.  She took her grandfather's hand and turned her eyes to the sky.  "Look at the Ramadan moon grandpa, isn't it beautiful?"   Grandpa says "It certainly is beautiful my Noor, it certainly is."

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2019, 10:02:29 pm »

Ya Allah!   

*sighs* and *gasps*

They wanted to make a halloween for Muslim kids and they chose the month of Ramandan.  That's how far into the wilderness lack of conscience takes the human mind. 

I too never heard of this weird Girgian ever in my part of the ME.

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2019, 10:07:12 pm »

Many thanks for all the additional input.   Had no idea about this rubbish.  Head spinning for me too. 

They talk of spending time with family.  That should allude to all of the family.  But this poor little girl, Noor, seems to be spending all her time with her grandparents.  Where are her mother and father?

Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2019, 10:11:30 pm »

But this poor little girl, Noor, seems to be spending all her time with her grandparents.  Where are her mother and father?

Perahps dancing away with their scotch n soda in one of those glitzy nightclubs of Dubai for "iftar"   ......

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2019, 10:13:22 pm »

Grin Cheesy Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2019, 10:24:29 pm »

haha ha ha ha  Cheesy   I won't be surprised if the author mentions that in the next episode of 'white nights.'

But I'm glad this hoax has been exposed.  As we know Ramadan is not too far, coming early May 2020 InshAllah.  Whoever is destined by The Almighty to stay alive and experience Ramadan 2020 should know the importance of avoiding such foolish copycat tales for the sake of keeping the minds of their children embedded in truth.  As sister rightly said, these frolicky tittle-tattles are the surest methods for distracting kids, and of course as they grow older, they will forget Girgian but will also be led away from the actual significance of Ramadan.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: