Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 12:43:05 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Lightly fried spinach on toast

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Lightly fried spinach on toast  (Read 829 times)
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

Badges: (View All)
« on: August 08, 2010, 02:23:22 am »

This snack is really healthy, particularly compared to all the junk snacks we get today in the stores and fast food spots.  It can serve as an excellent side dish or, if added with a couple of other easy items like minced meat and cheese along with quick boiled peas & carrots, it could contribute greatly in making a complete meal for you and your family. 

This was my Dad's favorite.  I'll give you a real home recipe of my place Smiley   Remember to use fresh spinach.  You can also make it with frozen spinach but it won't taste half as nice.

Ingredients

2 lbs fresh spinach
1 small or half large chopped tomatoes
vegetable oil
salt & pepper
pinch of chilli
pinch of garlic & ginger paste
4 slices of toasted bread

Method

Chop the fresh spinach leaves, removing the thick stems and wash well in a colander.  Fill a large saucepan with water and put it over the cooker on high till the water begins to boil.  Then put in the chopped spinach and boil it for about 10 minutes.  Drain the water using a colander.  Let the spinach cool for a few minutes. 

Next, heat the oil for a couple of minutes in a frying pan.  Add the boiled spinach, chopped tomatoes, and all seasonings.  Fry on medium heat for about 10 minutes.  Remove from heat and keep aside.

Toast the slices.  Spread the prepared spicy spinach over the toasted bread generously.  If you want it to cover more than 4 slices, you may have to reduce the amount of spinach spread over each slice.  That's it.  You're done Smiley  Enjoy!

Variation:  Sprinkling a bit of grated cheese (cheddar or mozzarella) over the hot spinach spread on the toast would be a fantastic idea!

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 02:41:28 am »

Perfect for my situation!  A delicious snack cum wholesome eats.  I guess I can even make it in sandwich form, right?  that means, spreading the spicy spinach on a toasted slice and covering it with another dry toast, just like the grilled cheese sandwiches, except that this isn't girlled Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 02:43:14 am »

yes, definitely.  you can make it in sandwich form too.  good idea!
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 03:58:38 am »

hmmm ,, this sounds unique and great ,,, fried spinach sandwich!  I will try this tomorrow as I have a few bags of spinach in the fridge and spinach is a veggie that can't be stored too long uncooked. 

However, I have a question on this one sis.  You said to boil and drain the spinach and then fry with spices and chopped tomatoes.  How about frying with all spices and then sprinkling  little water on it and keeping it on simmer till it cooks, and then spread it on toast.  It saves the botheration of boiling and draining.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 04:00:42 am »

How about frying with all spices and then sprinkling  little water on it and keeping it on simmer till it cooks, and then spread it on toast.  It saves the botheration of boiling and draining.

yeah, I too was wondering about this .....
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 04:06:15 am »

You can do that too, but you run a risk.  Don't forget, a specific bunch of spinach can sometimes .. just sometimes .. be bitter.  If you cook it by frying, sprinkling water and keeping it on simmer, then in case if there are any bitter strands of spinach, the bitterness will be retained and your fried spinach will get ruined.  But if you boil it for about 10 minutes or so and drain away the green water, then it will never taste bitter even if a few bitter strands do exist in your bunch of spinach. 
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 04:08:01 am »

Btw .. this is only for fresh spinach.  Like I said, u can also use frozen one but they just don't taste as nice. 
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 04:28:31 am »

ahh!  right ,, absolutely right.  sometimes spinach can be bitter.  I can understand boiling and draining the water is a good step to eradicate any risks of this problem.  Thanks sis.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 01:23:29 am »

I see, I forgot about that.  Yeah, sure, the possibility of a bunch of spinach being bitter is always there.  Thanks for this info sis, I didn't know boiling it could avoid this problem.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: