Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
April 20, 2024, 02:16:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

'Ghayb' or the Unseen

+-
Shoutbox
April 02, 2024, 07:27:22 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Details on Leila tul Qadr every Ramadan, links HERE.
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: 'Ghayb' or the Unseen  (Read 403 times)
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

Badges: (View All)
« on: September 10, 2010, 03:16:40 am »

I would like to share a comment by Brother Louay Fatoohi, taken from one his his articles titled "Ghayb" meaning the Unseen.  The article explains the various context of this term which he has explained well.  You can read this article HERE.  I only disagree with the last paragraph which I quote as below:

Finally, I should note that while the term “ghyab” is usually translated correctly as “unseen,” “invisible,” “secrets,” or “hidden things,” the slightly different term “bil-ghyab” is mostly translated incorrectly. The latter is often wrongly translated as “in secret,” which has a completely different meaning from the intended meaning of “as a matter of faith.” This wrong translation is used by many including Shakir, Pickthall, Sher Ali, Palmer, Rodwell, and Sale. Arberry uses “in the unseen,” which is also incorrect. Yusuf Ali and Hilali-Khan, however, use translations such as “fear Him unseen,” which convey the meaning accurately.
Unquote

Concerning this last paragraph, don't the terms "in secret" and "as a matter of faith" have the same basic connotation?  Accepting something "as a matter of faith" would mean (or could refer to mean) accepting the 'unknown.'  The term "in secret" in several translations is also meant to refer to the unknown, not to the standard definition of secret such as private, concealed or undisclosed.

Any comments from anyone?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 05:14:34 am »

Yes, I think Br. Louay doesn't agree with that translation because he hasn't expanded it enough.   That's creating a bit of misunderstanding.

Confusions generally arise with translations owing to the difference of grammatical rules in different languages.  At such times it helps if one moves away from the standard norms of grammatical rules and its interpretations, and be focused entirely on the context or the discourse that surrounds a language.  That helps more to determine the interpretation of terminologies in that piece.  

For example, the literal meaning of the word 'zalimeen' in English would translate as 'tyrants.'  But in Arabic, or in Quranic Arabic, 'zalimeen' has a wider reference.  It often translates as 'wrong doers' or 'miscreants' etc.  Similarly, the word 'sama' would literally mean 'atmosphere' in English. Probably in Urdo it also means the same.  But in Arabic it usually translates to 'sky' or 'the heavens.'   Now, if you think of it, the terms atmosphere, sky and the heavens basically have the same connotation, except that 'sky' and 'the heavens' have a more specific and wider denotation.  

Keeping in mind the same, some may translate as --

those who 'believe in secret' or those who 'fear Allah in secret.'  

Another translation of the same maybe --

those who 'believe as a matter of faith' or who 'fear Him unseen.'

The variation is much on the same lines as the difference  between 'atmosphere' and 'sky.'  

When it's said to believe as 'a matter of faith' the connotation is obviously to the unseen.  If it wasn't the unseen, then it would be more a matter of personal or visual experience and blind faith wouldn't be required.

Similarly, when it's stated to 'believe in secret' or someone 'believes in secret,'  it carries the same sense, that is, to believe in the secrets of the heavens and the earth which means the unseen.  There are many secrets in the universe and the earth created by Allah which are unseen by mankind and only known to Him.   Most importantly, Allah Almighty Who is uncreated and the One Lord & Master of everything, is the most important concept of the Unseen.  Thus, believing in Allah and believing in all the unseen secrets which He has created like Paradise, Hellfire, Al-Araaf must be a matter of faith.

I would conclude that both translations, "fear Him unseen" and "in secret" are correct.  It's only that the former is a bit more extensive in writing, in that, it literally underscores the importance of belief in the unseen through faith (or blind faith), while the latter highlights the importance of belief in the unseen (secret) .. the aspect of faith (or blind faith) being taken for granted.  

And only Allah knows best.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 03:21:39 am »

MashAllah very scholarly topic. 

I would conclude that both translations, "fear Him unseen" and "in secret" are correct.  It's only that the former is a bit more extensive in writing, in that, it literally underscores the importance of belief in the unseen through faith (or blind faith), while the latter highlights the importance of belief in the unseen (secret) .. the aspect of faith (or blind faith) being taken for granted.  

And only Allah knows best.

Well yes, this is precisely the difference. 

Also, one must read the Quranic verses carefully so as not to confuse the meanings.  The word "secret" in many verses is also used with its standard meaning, that is, 'private' or 'undisclosed' or 'hidden.'   For example,  read the following verse from Surah Al-Baqrah.  This is Pickthall's translation.  Where he translates using the word "stealth," many other translators including Yusuf Ali, have used "secretly."  Most people might think that the word "secretly" better suits the context, however, Pickthall's aim has always been to keep his translations as accurate and direct as possible from the original, which from the viewpoint of English grammar, might sometimes result in not the most accurate selection of English words.   The translation of Verse 2:274 is an example of that.  But to be honest, I prefer this method of Pickthall a lot more than that of others, who either with the goal of beautifying their translations or for the purpose of putting up their personal interpretations, do not adhere to the method of keeping their translations as close as possible to the original Quranic Arabic.  After all, reading a translation that's closest to the original is the most important thing, a lot more important than reading decorated translations, many of which might have deviated from the original.

"Those who spend their wealth by night and day, by stealth and openly, verily their reward is with their Lord, and their shall no fear come upon them neither shall they grieve."  2:274

In the above Verse 2:274, "stealth" or "secretly" express the standard & literal meaning, that is, 'in private' or 'hidden from public eyes.'

Check another example too from Surah Maryam ....

19:3 إِذْ نَادَىٰ رَبَّهُ نِدَاءً خَفِيًّا
"When he cried unto his Lord a cry in secret,"

This is again Pickthall's translation.  He has translated the word "khafiya" or خَفِيًّا as "secret."   If you look up the Arabic to English dictionary, it can mean 'secret' or 'hidden.'   In this context the term 'secret' (or even if it's translated as 'hidden') does not mean 'unseen.'  Rather it means crying out to Allah 'in private' or 'in seclusion,' expressing the literal interpretation of the word "secret."

Moreover, pertaining to the topic of this thread, there are also English translations of some Quranic verses which translate to the effect of fearing Allah 'in secret.'  I cannot precisely recall which verses at the moment, but I'm sure this expression is used in several translations.   I'll quote those verses as I come across them in my daily readings, InshAllah.  In this regard, I think sisters Cat and Zeynab have explained this matter with a lot of thought.  But, in my opinion, even in such verses the term "in secret" can be taken in the literal sense of 'private' or 'undisclosed.'   Of course it depends upon the context of every  verse we read.  But I think it could either refer to fearing Allah 'as a matter of faith,' or it could also refer to people who are humble and keep their faith in Allah 'secret.'  This would mean, not making an outward show of one's piety and faith in Allah or not trying to impress others, rather strengthening one's faith, enjoining the right, forbidding the wrong and at the same time being humble about one's efforts. 

And only Allah knows best.  Allah-o-Alim.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 01:58:30 am »

MaashAllah, dear br. PT.  You have further educated us.  Your interpretations seem to expand very correctly, in the right direction. 

The Quranic term which br. Louay Fatoohi disucssed in his last paragraph and the topic of this thread is "بِالْغَيْبِ"  (bil-ghayb).   Tonight as I was reading Surah Maryam, I came across a verse containing this term.

(19:61)  جَنَّاتِ عَدْنٍ الَّتِي وَعَدَ الرَّحْمَٰنُ عِبَادَهُ بِالْغَيْبِ ۚ إِنَّهُ كَانَ وَعْدُهُ مَأْتِيًّا

"Gardens of Eden, which the Beneficent hath promised to His slaves in the unseen. Lo! His promise is ever sure of fulfilment -"

This is a Pickthall translation.  He has translated "bil-ghayb" as "unseen," a translation which br. Louay doesn't agree with and prefers the expression "as a matter of faith."  But, in the context of the above particular verse, very definitely the term "unseen" fits the meaning more accurately.   Therefore, as I had mentioned, every verse much be studied separately to determine which expression is best suited for a translation.  However, Pickthall, as we know, is focused more on the similarity of the English equivalent with the original Arabic of every word he translates.    Thus, I think br. Louay's brief critisizm is not too correct.  Apart from not expanding the interpretation of Pickthall translations, he is also generalizing matters much. 

Also, I would like to bring out the point in regard to the above verse, that even if "in secret" was used in place of "unseen," it would still convey the same sense. 
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 05:58:38 am »

Sister Heba and Br. Pt .. I cannot say how grateful I am to both of u for taking the time and giving me such a precious feedback on this important topic, and you've also helped to widen my reflections on a correct path.  Alhumdulilah.  I had been following it from the beginning, but I thought I'll post my thanks at the end of it.  I must save this thread in my backup file.  Thank you again and may Allah bless you. 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: