Tweet Guests wanting to sign-up as members MUST first introduce themselves in detail at our guest book otherwise their registrations will be DELETED immediately. This is a read-only forum. Approval of members is up to the MV team, depending on your guest book introduction. Thanks!
Muslim Villa
October 31, 2014, 10:02:26 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Electronic Intifada

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Importance of Jummah Prayer

+-
Shoutbox
October 20, 2014, 07:34:19 pm Heba: w'salam. InshAllah just a day or 2 more & I'll put it up. Hav compiled all info,only need to format it. I've also included the issue u mentioned as to why hadisers say that, coz they wholly ignore the concerned  Quranic verses & the connotation of those verses.
October 20, 2014, 01:58:30 am Truth Seeker: wa'salam. I wud be waiting for that write-up. Last month in our discussion session a guy began arguing that there's no peoples rule in Islam.  he was hadiser of course.
October 18, 2014, 01:32:57 am Zeynab: Wa'salaam dear sis Heba.  O, wonderful! SubhanAllah! Take yr time sis, no rush. I understand.
October 18, 2014, 01:30:29 am Heba: Salam dear sis Zeynab and all. Just to let u know, the article abt Quran on democracy is almost finished. InshAllah will put it up very soon. Been soooo busy since last few days .........
August 18, 2014, 02:07:13 am Zeynab: Wa'Salaam. Alhumdulilah, fine Sister.
August 16, 2014, 06:12:34 pm muslima: Aoa dear sisters and brother's how R u guys ? Smiley  I hope and pray everyone doing good inshAllah ??
July 29, 2014, 09:41:51 pm Zeynab: Ameen my bro and sis Smiley
July 29, 2014, 09:21:38 pm Heba: Ameen bro TS Smiley ameen.  It's been a month which provided us with a great sense of accomplishment too. I only pray to Allah for acceptance.  Nothing more important than that.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Importance of Jummah Prayer  (Read 5565 times)
Ruhi_Rose
Member of the website team.

Rating: 16

Mom of three cute rascals :)

« on: January 06, 2011, 03:29:22 pm »

BismEm

Jummah prayer or Friday congregational prayer:

You might hear many modernists say that the Quran does not mention anything about the Friday congregational prayer.  But they are wrong.  They say this because they read the Quran without understanding it, or by purposely distorting the translations.

"O ye who believe! When the call is heard for the prayer of the day of congregation, haste unto remembrance of Allah and leave your trading. That is better for you if ye did but know."  [62:9]  Surah Al-Jumu'ah

As we can see for ourselves, in the above Verse the Noble Quran doesn't only refer to the Jummah prayer but also gives a lot of importance to it.  The Arabic word "Jumu'ah" or "Jamm'ah" (جمعة) means 'congregation.'   This congregational prayer is offered once a week in the afternoon and it replaces the regular afternoon Zohr (or Dohr) prayer offered on other days.  It's known as salaat-al-Jummah.  It comes on the day known as 'Friday' in the list of the 7 christian week names.  

The Jummah prayer is an obligation (fard) for men and is recommended for women to be performed at a mosque along with the congregation (jamm'ah or jamm'at). Women also have the option of performing the Zohr prayer instead, either privately or in a mosque. Anyone who is unable to join a congregation for jumu'ah is required to make up the prayer with a regular Zohr prayer.  The purpose of this weekly congregational prayer is to give believers a chance to offer prayers together once a week, so that they can see and meet the people of their community at a common venue .. and indeed the masjid is the best common venue for a believer.  

For Muslims living in the West it might be harder to attend congregational prayer in the afternoon, even though it's only once a week, primarily because of the long distances, the absense of masjids in all neighborhoods and no additional breaks on Fridays at workplaces.  That's indeed unfortunate.  But let such folks try to attend the Friday prayers to the best of their abilities.  After all, Allah sees our efforts and intentions a lot more than what we actually achieve.  He is infinitely Merciful.

The method of offering Jummah prayer is exactly the same as all other prayers, except that it's shorter than the regular Zohr prayer and consists of only 2 rakats like the Fajr prayer.  The Jummah prayer is preceded by a sermon known as 'khutba' in Arabic.  The sermon can be in any language which is understood by the majority in the congretation.  

By reading Verse 62:11 of the same Surah, Al-Jumu'ah, it seems very possible that the system of delivering the khutba (sermon) was done by the Prophet (صلى الله عليه و سلم ).

"But when they spy some merchandise or pastime they break away to it and leave thee standing. Say: That which Allah hath is better than pastime and than merchandise, and Allah is the Best of providers."  [62:11] Surah Al-Jumu'ah

The above Verse is said to refer to an incident when the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم   was explaining and talking to the people of the congregation during the Jummah prayer (which was very likely the sermon) when most people of this congregation got distracted by the noise of a celebration going on outside and ran to see it, leaving the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم   by himself.

Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Heba

Rating: 41

From the land of the bones

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 11:43:25 pm »

Very nice piece sister Rose.  Yes, the Jum'ah or Friday prayers are very much a Quranic commandment .. much more for men than women I would think.  Nowadays with this mass immigration of Muslims in non-Muslim countries, many Muslims end up missing Friday prayers in congregation on almost every Friday.  It's really sad but these folks can't help it either.  Either the distance to the nearest masjid is too much or they just can't get that extra time.  And considering the very tough situation for Muslims in America today, I'm sure they would be sacked from their workplaces if they asked for even 20 minutes of extra time on Fridays for joining a congregational prayer.  In some workplaces where there is a large number of Muslim workers, they would have their own congregational prayers within the premises of the workplace.  But after 9/11 and all this hatred against the Muslim community, no non-Muslim workplace allows this any longer. 
Report Spam   Logged

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be a friend.

Heba

From the land of the bones

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 11:50:47 pm »

Btw, it's obvious that the name Jum'ah given to that day is on account of the Jam'ah or congregation prayers.  Apparently that particular day selected by the Prophet (S) for offering congregational prayer at that time came to be known as Jum'ah.  But most people seem to miss this point.  They think it's the other way round, as if one of the days called Jum'ah already existed and the congregational prayer was fitted into it. 
Report Spam   Logged

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be a friend.

Zeynab
Founder
Admin

Visiting the 'memory lane' is blissful and free.

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 12:19:31 am »

Btw, it's obvious that the name Jum'ah given to that day is on account of the Jam'ah or congregation prayers.  Apparently that particular day selected by the Prophet (S) for offering congregational prayer at that time came to be known as Jum'ah.  But most people seem to miss this point.  They think it's the other way round, as if one of the days called Jum'ah already existed and the congregational prayer was fitted into it. 

This is a good point you've stated sister Heba.  I agree with your perception.

Also, thanks sister Rose, for this reminder on congregational prayers.  Yes, it's definitely a Quranic commandment.  It's become a bit hard for Muslims living in non-Muslim lands to abide by it.  This is really unfortunate.  What else can one say  Sad   I hope these Muslims keep trying as much as they can to attend the Jum'ah prayers.  After all, effort and intention are more important than the action itself.   
Report Spam   Logged

"Say: Though the sea became ink for the Words of my Lord, verily the sea would be used up before the words of my Lord were exhausted, even though We brought the like thereof to help."  (18:109) Al-Kahf

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: