Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 12:17:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Further explanation needed regarding Tahajjud prayer

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Further explanation needed regarding Tahajjud prayer  (Read 470 times)
Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

Badges: (View All)
« on: January 20, 2011, 10:29:20 am »

BismAllah .... and Salaams!

In connection to our much earlier discussion on Are we sure Tahajjud prayer is not fard, I would be grateful if someone can clarify the following Verse by trying to elucidate what might be the importance of Tahajjud prayer according to this verse.  I know that brother PT had quoted it there, but there was no specific explanation of it in that thread.  This verse obviously isn't addressed only to the Prophet (SAW).  It seems a wider commandment, that is, to all humankind.  Moreover, I would also appreciate if you can differentiate the commandments of both parts of this Ayat. That would be very helpful and useful info for me.   

JazekAllah Khair and thanks folks!

"And worship Him (a portion) of the night. And glorify Him through the livelong night."
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 11:13:10 am »

Walaikum salaam and hi sis!   Smiley  logged in just in time to see your posts.   You are right.  We had discussed this topic at length in the other thread but verse 76:26 wasn't fully explained.  I also agree that by reading the preceding and following verses of verse 76:26, it's quite obvious that this verse is not addressed only to the Prophet (S) but to everyone.  That's the way it seems to me too.  Hence, this again brings the possibility that Tahajjud prayer maybe obligatory (fard) for everyone.  But not sure.   However, as Allah has also stated in another verse of the Quran that He does not want to make religion difficult for anyone, it's also very likely that the obligatory status of Tahajjud prayer (if it is obligatory) is not as important as the 5 regular daily prayers. 

Regarding the first portion of this Verse which says: "And worship Him (a portion) of the night."  This quite certainly refers to either Tahajjud salat or nafl salat-al-leil, both of which are assumed to be in the category of additional prayers after Isha prayers.  If it's offered after waking up from sleep, it's Tahajjud.  And, if it's offered at night after Isha prayer but prior to falling asleep, then it's nafl salat-al-leil.  Detailed info on Tahajjud and salat-al-leil (also known as Qiyam al-leil) can be found in our post Night Prayers.

Now coming to the second portion of this verse which states "And glorify Him through the livelong night." In my humble opinion, this might refer to periodical zikr throughout the night as or when one might awake for very short periods of a few minutes or seconds as while changing sides or waking up to have a drink of water.  After all, one seldom sleeps without a few minutes / seconds of awareness now & then throughout the night.  At such times one can simply recite, for e.g. "Allah-o-Akbar" (God is Great), or "Alhamdulilah" (Praise be to Allah) or recite any short Quranic Ayat one may remember.  The purpose is to keep Allah in one's mind and heart all the time.  For the same reason Allah also says in one Quranic verse, the meaning of which I approximately paraphrase, that we must remember Allah while sitting, standing, eating .. constantly.

This is my view, and this is how I would explain the two portions of this verse.  And of course, only Allah knows best.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 05:13:46 pm »

hmmm, I get your points.  This is exactly what I was searching for.  Thanks a lot sis.  It makes matters much clearer.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 05:19:31 pm »

Hence, this again brings the possibility that Tahajjud prayer maybe obligatory (fard) for everyone.  But not sure.   However, as Allah has also stated in another verse of the Quran that He does not want to make religion difficult for anyone, it's also very likely that the obligatory status of Tahajjud prayer (if it is obligatory) is not as important as the 5 regular daily prayers.  

Very intelligently explained sister zeynab.  It's likely that Tahajjud prayer is obligatory but not as importantly obligatory as the 5 daily salaat.  But also, I would only add that whenever performed, the blessings (sawab) of Tahajjud prayer is probably the most.   From different Quranic expressions, we have good reasons to assume that Tahajjud really carries huge blessings.  And only Allah knows best.

Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 05:24:22 pm »

Thanks for that extra bit of info as well, brother pt.  Seeing u after a very long time here  Cheesy  I was wondering where you've vanished brother.  Hope u and your family are fine, Insh'Allah.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 05:28:02 pm »

Shukriya for inquiring sister Heba.   We are fine, Alhumdulilah, but a close uncle of mine has been very ill and we were all very busy and pre-occupied in that regard.  Please pray to Allah Almighty to grant him health.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 05:30:59 pm »

Ahhh!  so sorry to know this brother Sad   Of course I'll pray to Allah for his quick and comfortable recovery.  what kind of health problem is he suffering from?  is he your real uncle? 
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 05:40:17 pm »

Thanks again sister.   he's my mother's only brother, and is suffering from severe heart problems - all of a sudden.  He never had it before.  more than one of the important arteries were found very blocked.  he underwent heart bypass.  The painful illness and major surgery has left him very frail.  Another hardship being, his wife is also not in good health. She suffers from severe arthritis and is diabetic.  They don't have children.  Just the 2 of them.  He used to be the one to take care of her.  Now he too is bedridden and needs to be cared for.  My mom has been very upset cause he's her only brother she is very close to him.  We are trying to find an apartment for them in our building so we can be closeby.  This bit is also keeping us busy.  At the moment their house is quite far, and with both of them in such a weak condition, they can't live by themselves so far away.  Need lots of prayers and dua from everyone.  Please pray to Allah (Suban WaTala) to keep both of them is good health and to enable us to find a place for them close to ours. 
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 05:49:52 pm »

Sad   I can very well understand your anxiety and that of your family, especially your mother.  I think it will be a very good idea to find an apartment for them close to yours, preferably in your building.  Of course, it's not at all advisable for them to stay so far from you guys all by themselves.  Heart bypass is a very major surgery and it often leaves many people feeling extremely weak and frail for quite a long time.  But the recuperation goes on and usually within 6 months one feels a lot stronger.  Insh'Allah, your uncle will recover.  It's only a matter of some time.  May Allah grant health to both of them, ameen.  Do come and check the dua board.  There are some very nice duas for difficult times there.  Reciting them will help, Insh'Allah..  I have no doubts on that.  I will make sure to remember them in my prayers.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 05:52:23 pm »

Thank u, thanks so much sister for your concern and prayers.  God Almighty bless u.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 10:22:32 pm »

Good question and very good answer.  very helpful for me.

Br. pt ,, so sorry to learn of your uncle's illness.  I too was wondering where u were.  I pray to Allah for the situation of normalise as soon as possible.  Sister heba is right.  Check the dua board and pick some suitable supplications for your situation.  It helps tremendously.

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 08:51:14 am »

Salaams and hey folks!  I came across a Verse in Surah Hud a few days ago which I quote.

"Establish worship at the two ends of the day and in some watches of the night. Lo! good deeds annul ill-deeds. This is reminder for the mindful."  (11:114)

Worship at "two ends of the day" would be fajr and maghrib.  "some watches of the night" sounds like tahajjud prayers to be offered after one goes to sleep offering the isha prayer.  Unfortunately nowadays people have made their daily schedules so overwhelmed with worldly responsibilities that they are too tired to wake up for tahajjud.  That's really sad but it cannot diminish the importance of tahajjud prayers.
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 11:17:43 pm »

It's likely that Tahajjud prayer is obligatory but not as importantly obligatory as the 5 daily salaat.  But also, I would only add that whenever performed, the blessings (sawab) of Tahajjud prayer is probably the most.   From different Quranic expressions, we have good reasons to assume that Tahajjud really carries huge blessings.  And only Allah knows best.

I absolutely agree brother Pt.  Very thoughtful opinion, MashAllah.

"Establish worship at the two ends of the day and in some watches of the night. Lo! good deeds annul ill-deeds. This is reminder for the mindful."  (11:114)

Worship at "two ends of the day" would be fajr and maghrib.  "some watches of the night" sounds like tahajjud prayers to be offered after one goes to sleep offering the isha prayer.  Unfortunately nowadays people have made their daily schedules so overwhelmed with worldly responsibilities that they are too tired to wake up for tahajjud.  That's really sad but it cannot diminish the importance of tahajjud prayers.

Thanks a lot for quoting this verse.  It again reflects the huge blessings for a believer in Tahajjud prayers.  This fact is enough to raise the status of Tahajjud prayers.  Even if some people find it difficult to offer because of poor health or hectic routine, they should at least try to offer it whenever they can.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 11:54:00 pm »

Salaams and hey folks!  I came across a Verse in Surah Hud a few days ago which I quote.

Thanks and very correct sis Rose.  Actually verse 11:114 was the one with which I began our first discussion HERE. 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: