Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
April 20, 2024, 10:22:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Did Abu Talib become a Muslim before his death?

+-
Shoutbox
April 02, 2024, 07:27:22 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Details on Leila tul Qadr every Ramadan, links HERE.
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Did Abu Talib become a Muslim before his death?  (Read 3649 times)
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

Badges: (View All)
« on: March 14, 2011, 04:52:44 am »

As everyone knows, Abu Talib was the uncle and guardian of the Prophet (SAW) in Makkah.   The  Sunnis say that although Abu Talib was very caring toward the Prophet (SAW), yet he never accepted the Prophet's message of Islam and died a mushrik.  The Shiias claim that he did embrace Islam prior to his death.  I'm totally confused as to which version is correct.  Surely one version has to be wrong and the other right.  So, which is the correct one?  Would anyone know?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 02:57:03 am »

Yes, there is a tug of war between sunnis and shiias on this issue.  I'm afraid it's impossible to prove who is right or who's wrong.  All such details of Islamic history have been completely erased by the petty wranglings in hadith narratives.  Since shiias support the Ahl-Bait (Prophet's family), their version says Abu Talib became a Muslim before he died.  And because shiias strongly support Ahl-Bait, the sunnis (who call themselves Ahl-sunnah) oppose the Ahl-Bait as a backlash.  They claim that he never accepted Islam and died a disbeliever.  There are many hadiths in the form of little stories in the sunni hadith collections by so-called "sahabahs" narrating that Abu Talib died a disbeliever.  Maybe but only Allah Almighty can confirm.  Similarly, shiias have their own sources saying he died a Muslim.  Only Allah Almighty knows which of the two version is correct. 

The only point on which both sides agree is that Abu Talib was kind and loving towards the Prophet.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 03:21:46 am »

Hummm .... well  (hadith excluded) in my personal and logical opinion, I think Abu Talib died a disbeliever and never embraced Islam although he was very loving towards the Prophet (S) who was his nephew.  Only Allah knows best, but I don't think any of the Prophet's relatives of Abu Talib's generation accepted Islam .. I have no information nor any confirmations on that through any reliable sources. 

For the sunnis there are 2 reasons why they claim Abu Talib didn't embrace Islam.  Firstly, there are many sunni hadiths which say he didn't become a Muslim.  Secondly, as br. pt mentioned, it's simply as a backlash-rejoinder to the shiias to oppose them.

Also, the term Ahl-Bait is supposed to refer only to those members of the Prophet's family who embraced Islam and the later generations of the Prophet's family who were born Muslims e.g. Imam Hussein and his brother Hassan, the grandsons of the Prophet, and their descendents.  So, the shiias should not feel upset even if Abu Talib didn't accept Islam.  That's really not important.  The responsibility of that is on Abu Talib himself, none else.  It does not at all have any bearing on the other believing members of the Prophet's household who are known as Ahl-Bait.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 03:24:15 am »

Yes sister Heba, I read your points.  They make lots a sense.  thanks.
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 03:41:24 am »

Yeah, it is a "tug of war" between sunnis and shiias, and I too think the truth of this matter is only known to Allah.  The false stories and gossips thru hadiths and the usual wranglings have re-shaped Islamic history with too many fabrications.  Actually the shiias are eager to say that Abu Talib embraced Islam before his death because he was the father of Imam Ali.  But as sister Heba stated very correctly, the shiias should not worry about that because even if Abu Talib hadn't embraced Islam, that wasn't the responsibility of Imam Ali.  The fact that Imam Ali being the cousin of the Prophet and his son-in-law was a devout Muslim is what's important.  Though I too think Abu Talib did not embrace Islam, various segments of sunnis who think the same is mainly because of the fun they derive by teasing the shiias .. and of course the sunni hadiths of Bukhari etc. do the same. 
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 04:08:11 am »

I'll tell u what.  Actually some of the Ahl-sunnah (i.e. sunnis) also think that he embraced Islam before his death, but all such arguments are based on individual presumptions and then circulated.  According to them, it was Abu Talib who conducted the Prophet's (SAW) nikkah or marriage oath when the Prophet (SAW) married Khadija in Makkah.  So, some sunni imams or ulemas think that a non-Muslim cannot conduct the Prophet's nikkah, therefor he must have embraced Islam.  But this argument is completely senseless.  Even if Abu Talib did embrace Islam before his death, he surely wasn't a Muslim when or if he conducted the nikkah of the Prophet (SAW) with Khadija in Makkah because that was before the Prophet (SAW) got the Call from Allah, and at that time no one was a Muslim.  Thus, the argument is devoid of logic.

But most sunnis say that Abu Talib died a non-believer.  Some sunnis also claim that the above notion of Abu Talib embracing Islam because he conducted the Prophet's (SAW) nikkah is falsely propagated by shiias pretending to be sunnis .... lol.   

There is only one sunni imam by the name of Sheikh Ahmed Ridha Fadhil who has a sensible & logical view.  He categorically stated to finally close this episode of guesswork that Abu Talib's faith is not known to us (only Allah knows best).  Sh. Fadhil also added that regardless of whether or not Abu Talib embraced Islam, he should be remembered with respect because he helped the Prophet (SAW) in difficult times and protected the Prophet (SAW) from his enemies.
Eventually everything is up to Allah to decide.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 04:20:01 am »

The king of wahabis, the medieval imam ibn Taymiyyah was so obsessed to believe that Abu Talib was not a Muslim that any other imam or ulema who came up with any possibilities that Abu Talib might have been a Muslim made Taymiyyah declare that imam or ulema as a "kafir." 

However, sister Heba is right that some circles of sunni imams do think that possibly he did convert to Islam before his death.  Those sunni imams who consider this to be a possibility are the ones who consider the Bukhari ahadith on Abu Talib to be weak. 

I quote a non-wahabi, non-salafi sunni, who concluded this matter in a forum discussion saying  "Anyways differences apart we should be tolerant on this opinion and not be rigid in this regard. The best thing to do is to leave the matter to Allah azza Wajjal and not ridicule Abu Talib."   
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 09:20:18 am »

Okay, I now get it.  It gives me a clearer idea of matters, that is, we must leave it to Allah (Subhana wa'Tala). 

Bukhari and other ahadith are so crazy, forget about them.  Some of the false hadiths on Abu Talib claim that though he didn't embrace Islam but he will be in the lower depth of Hellfire where the fire will be knee deep.   But the Prophet (SAW) never had the power to predict anyone's fate, much less to declare who will be in which part of Hell or Paradise. 

I benefited a lot from this thread.  Thanks in plenty, folks! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 09:53:11 am »

lol ,, yes there are many such hilariously FALSE hadiths written by Mr. Bukhari & associates.  Also, Bukhari has tried to interfere with the relationships between the Prophet's family members by writing such false hadiths.  E.g. There's one Bukhari hadith I quote as under:

Volume 5, Book 58, Number 222: Narrated Al-Abbas bin 'Abdul Muttalib:
That he said to the Prophet "You have not been of any avail to your uncle (Abu Talib) (though) by Allah, he used to protect you and used to become angry on your behalf." The Prophet said, "He is in a shallow fire, and had It not been for me, he would have been in the bottom of the (Hell) Fire." 

I think it's easy enough to pick the glaring flaws and guile of this untrue,  stupid and gossipy hadith.  As usual, Bukhari's aim is to badmouth the Prophet (SAW) through this nonsensical hadith.  It's claimed to be narrated by another uncle of the Prophet (SAW) name Abbas bin Abdul Muttalib who was apparently the brother of Abu Talib.  In this hadith Abbas is supposed to be blaming the Prophet (SAW) for not being helpful to Abu Talib in any way at all as a nephew.  And then Bukhari's silly mind comes up with the lie that that Prophet (SAW) said that it was because of him that Abu Talib is in shallow fire in Hell - a clear contradiction of the Noble Quran which states clearly that no one (including the Prophet) knows the ultimate fate of people on the Day of Resurrection.  This is how Bukhari etc. spread immense fitnah among Muslims, and such writings play a vital role in deepening the animosity between sunnis and shiias.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 09:57:30 am »

hummm, right u r sis.   That one u quoted was one of Bukhari's magnificient lies  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: