Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
April 20, 2024, 04:38:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

10 minutes before iftar in the palace..

+-
Shoutbox
April 02, 2024, 07:27:22 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Details on Leila tul Qadr every Ramadan, links HERE.
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: 10 minutes before iftar in the palace..  (Read 352 times)
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

Badges: (View All)
« on: June 15, 2021, 07:45:27 pm »

A brief yet very thrilling account of how the blessed month of Ramadan was spent in the Ottoman Palace (perhaps Topkapi).  This piece has been translated from Turkish to English taken from Yenisefak website.   The lifestyle was full of strict matriarcal traditionalism of the family, respected by the entire Palace including the sultans and princes.  It is a vivid confirmation of reality that trashes the Western myth (once and for all) of "harems" portrayed like kennels crowded with half naked concubines!

We weren't able to accurately elucidate some of the traditional expressions even after their translation into English.  Apology for that.  Yet, Insh'Allah, you will be able to understand and enjoy the read.

Quoting the Translated Excerpt:

When the word “harem” is mentioned in the Ottoman palace, we often think of the imaginary narratives of Western travelers and the imaginary paintings of orientalists.  But in reality, the harem was the sultan's residence where he resided with his family and extended family.  So, how was Ramadan in the harem?  Here is a description of the days of Ramadan from the pen of a courtier who lived in the harem for five years.

On the first night of Ramadan, prayer mats were laid in all sections of the palace, and everyone was busy with worship until dawn (fajr)."

The topic of the harem in the Ottoman Empire is one of the subjects Westerners are most interested in.   With the birth of orientalism, travelers, ambassadors, painters, the center of attention and curiosity for foreigners was the mysterious "harem."

How did the Westerners produce these texts and draw those pictures when there were hundreds of people who lived in the palaces and did not step into the harem even once?

We find the answer in the book titled “An Englishwoman in a Turkish Harem” by Grace Ellison, who came to Istanbul in the early 20th century.

“Turks are in love with his homes and their wives.  They are tolerant husbands and a kind fathers.  When the Westerners read the facts about them (their personal, family oriented lives) they are not pleased because they expect to hear crippling stories.  Their disinformation is circulated by the 'dismissed governesses and ladies of Pera' (Western women) with an ugly description of what goes on behind closed doors even though they have never been privileged enough to visit the private apartments of the palace.  

We can define the harem as the house where the sultan lived with his family. 

How was Ramadan experienced in the "house of the sultan"

Leyla Açba, who was the maid of Sultan Vahdeddin's first wife, Emine Nazikeda Kadınefendi, for 5 years between 1919-1924, also included Ramadan in her memories.

The "Circassian princess" tells about the palace Ramadan in her memories:

How was the fast-breaking meal?
“Ten minutes before iftar, delicious meals on gilded trays were brought by the eunuchs and left to the maids. They would set the table, call the members of the Sultan's family in the palace, and then resign.   Her Majesty would break her fast with the Ladies Rümeysa, Şahinde, Bayla, Şaheser and me, and the other ladies would have iftar together with their entourage in their flats.”

Worship until imsaka  (imsak is the time we begin our fast as soon as fajr approaches to an end and the earliest bluish color is visible in the sky)
“On the first night of Ramadan, prayer mats were laid in all apartments, and everyone was busy with worship until imsaka. Sometimes, upon our master's permission, three well-voiced muezzins were brought by the eunuchs to the great hall on the lower floor of the mansion of Her Majesty, and we listened to their hymns from the upper floor.   The doors were opened at night, the eunuchs brought food on golden trays, and tables were set.  Everyone stood up until the b@lls were thrown.  After the meal, the whole palace would rest with the imsak ball.”

Visiting the Sacred Relic
"On the fifteenth day of Ramadan, the Hırka-i Saadet office (place where the Prophet's [pbuh] cloak was kept) was visited.  Since the Hırka-i Saadet office was located in Topkapı Palace, we would get up early, wear official clothes, wear engagement rings and jewellery, and then go together.  Her Majesty would go first in her car, and then the other ladies and the entourage would leave Yıldız Palace and arrive at Topkapı.

In the harem room of the Topkapı Palace, the former journeymen and masters who were there would welcome us and take us to the previously prepared rooms. Since we bridesmaids are always there at our lady's presence, the bridesmaids were the first to congratulate.  Then the sultans, the rest of the people of the harem and the vukela (ministries and deputies) would come to congratulate.

Subsequently, it was expected that the Hırka-i Şerif would be opened.   Anber Ağa, the chief adviser, would come and inform us that the Hırka-i Şerif was opened. The Lady would stand up and we would go there together. His Excellency would come to this apartment beforehand.  He would sit on a beautiful throne, and we would take turns making a temenna  (Salaam by bringing the hand to the front) from the ground, kissing the destmal-i şerif  (traditional handkerchief) that the Sultan had given us and putting it on our heads, then we would retreat back.  Of course, Her Majesty was always in the lead. We bridesmaids, ladies and gentlemen, even the sultan and princes came after.  After us, sheikh al-Islam and other vukela vüzera harems would enter and kiss the destmal-i şerif.   When the ceremony was over, we would go back to Yildiz as we came.”

(Hirka-e-Serif is the name of a famous Masjid in Istanbul, built by the Ottoman sultan Abdulmejid I (reigned 1839–1861). Its construction began in 1847 and completed in 1851.  The title Hırka-i Şerif refers to the "Mosque of the Blessed Mantle.")

Related post and story:

Myths and Misconceptions of the Harem
~   Iftar from Turkish cookbooks @ Daily Sabah

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 08:13:36 pm »

Indeed steeped in traditionalism, which in the general sense of the term isn't precisely my cup a tea, but as you stated, it completely thwarts those demeaning mythical artworks by orientalists on "harems" .. a self-created, non-existent definition by the West.   With such aristocratic traditions upholding the privacy of the female members of the Sultan's palace as described in this piece by an authentic Turkish insider of the Palace, would strangers including orientalist painters like F.A. Bridgman, Alphonse Birck, Fabio Fabbi, Eugène Delacroix and many more who have produced such absurd paintings on "harems" ever be allowed to get anywhere close to the Palace, let alone even conceive of approaching the ladies section of the Palace !?   Yet, how much rubbish they produced with the help of their imagination / fascination running wild and the spirit to promote Arabian Nights-like puff pieces.
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 02:35:32 am »

Very interesting piece.   As brother TS said, I too don't run after traditionalism as much of it are societal whims.  But benign traditions are always interesting to know and read.  And this piece in particular does make it abundantly clear the fibs illustrated on canvas by orientalist artists of medieval times viz. of France, Italy, Russia, Britain and early America.

Really enjoyed reading this.  Big thanks sis.

Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 03:36:18 am »

Mash'Allah.  Ottoman era was a charming one. 

As also included in Sister Zeynab's post,  'Lady' Mary Wortley Montagu, wife of the British ambassador to Turkey in 1700s, mentioned that as a woman she was able to obtain the permission (that too just once) to visit the ladies section of the imperial palace and ladies' bathhouses.   Even the question doesn't arise that those unknown (or half-known as best orientalists) would ever be allowed to enter such places to paint pictures of half nude women.    But you'll be amazed how widespread those harem-myths are.  Even this slimeball, Mary Wortley, couldn't refrain from exaggerating her single visit with hypes of extravagance that were actually quite unheard of in the Ottoman Turkish palaces.   But at least she didn't hesitate in busting the fables of the orientalists.

Btw, can anyone give some feedback on Grace Ellison? 

Also, I found another illuminating article on debunking the harem myth coming from Western Oregon University.  I will Insh'Allah, put it up in this board as soon as I can.  I just have to separate the paragraphs as it was in pdf format. 

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 04:01:43 am »

Right Sister ....

Btw, can anyone give some feedback on Grace Ellison?   

She was a British journalist and writer.   Though also a suffragette (earlier women seeking their rights [viz. to vote] through protests) which in those days was hurled as a sexist insult in the West, she was down-to-earth and preferred to dwell on truth rather than fantasies.    She is better known in Turkey than any Western country.     As a guest, she resided in the harem-household of a wealthy Turkish family and was keen to dispel the sensationalist Western view of the harem.      Her book was published in 1915.     She died in 1935.    Despite the fact that her book is considered by scholars as "culturally important," it's purposely slipped under the rug disappearing from all historical record, to keep the Western hype on the myth of harem alive and in circulation.  Western circles have tried to smear Ellison's name by dubbing her as a French journalist "Madame Lera" in disguise of "Marc Helys."   Ellison's book unveiling the propaganda and hype on harem has not only been ognored as a literary work, but she has also been slandered for "literary forgery" in her earnest effort to expose the facts through her well researched writings.    Furthermore, Western mainstream sources have accused the well-known Turkish writer, Zeynab Hanim and her sister (both were daughters of the very senior Turkish Ottoman official, Nuri Bey, in the ministry of foreign affairs) of clandestinely organizing the "forbidden" promotion of women's rights in Ottoman Turkey in collaboration with Grace Ellison.   It's impossible to find any online excerpts of Ellison's republished book thus those myths on the harem continue to disseminate.  You can only read the contents of that book if you buy it .... and I suppose it's available only online.

Also, I found another illuminating article on debunking the harem myth coming from Western Oregon University.  I will Insh'Allah, put it up in this board as soon as I can.  I just have to separate the paragraphs as it was in pdf format. 

That sounds wonderful.  Insh'Allah, will wait to read it.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2021, 04:07:13 am »

Loads of thanks for this info, Sis.   

Yeah, Insh'Allah, I will post that article as soon as I can.

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2021, 04:08:04 am »

Welcome dear Sis Heba.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2021, 04:15:07 am »

Mash'Allah.  ..... 'Lady' Mary Wortley Montagu, wife of the British ambassador to Turkey in 1700s, mentioned that as a woman she was able to obtain the permission (that too just once) to visit the ladies section of the imperial palace and ladies' bathhouses.   

Was she the one who contracted smallpox in England, mentioned in the post on vaccination history, then came to Turkey with her husband, and was impressed by the inoculation system of the Turks .. carried the idea back to her country? 
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2021, 04:16:43 am »

Yeah right, she was the one .. 
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2021, 04:27:52 am »

Last year an article in Time was titled "Why Erodgan's love affair with Ottoman Empire should worry the world."    The reason, Aya Sofya which had been a Mosque for 600 years after Turkey defeated the Byzantines was turned into a museum by Western lackey Kemal Ataturk and recently Turkey's current government restored it into the Mosque it always was.   In 2020, Turkey was welcomed a delegation of Hamas (blockaded Palestinians in Gaza).   Things like these make Westerners wary, uncomfortable, with propaganada-hypes of "beware" to make the international community believe that any Muslim country that cares for its history and sovereignty are 'bad guys' and you should 'be careful' of them.   Western propaganda and coverup of facts is a serious political disease.   It's this disease you all need to beware of, a disease that should worry the world no less than Covid19. 
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2021, 04:29:22 am »

Very correct brother.    I had read that article too last fall, I guess .....
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2021, 02:00:49 am »

Big thanks for the additional inputs.   Very informative for me, Alhumdulilah.   

Would anyone have the family tree of Ottoman dynasty?
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2021, 02:04:45 am »

Yeah sure.   You can view it on this site of Wikipedia.  It's a lengthy tree as we're talking about a dynasty that ruled for over 620 years.   
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2021, 02:08:31 am »

Thanks brother, this is fine.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: