Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 29, 2024, 02:31:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Be careful to break your fast at the right time

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Be careful to break your fast at the right time  (Read 3307 times)
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

Badges: (View All)
« on: July 25, 2011, 04:39:41 am »

BismEm

A reminder for the month of Ramadan, every year.

To all our brothers and sisters in Faith who will be fasting during the coming month of Ramadan which is only a few days away, remember to break your fast at the right time as highlighted in the Glorious Quran.   Please continue reading carefully.

The right time to break our fast is approximately 30 minutes after Maghrib or sunset when darkness has taken place completely.  Check the following Quranic verses for evidence and information.

وَكُلُوا وَاشْرَبُوا حَتَّى يَتَبَيَّنَ لَكُمُ الْخَيْطُ الأَبْيَضُ مِنَ الْخَيْطِ الأَسْوَدِ مِنَ الْفَجْرِ ثُمَّ أَتِمُّوا الصِّيَامَ إِلَى اللَّيْل
 2:187 - Al-Baqrah

Transliteration

Wa Kulū Wa Ashrabū Ĥattá Yatabayyana Lakumu Al-Khayţu Al-'Abyađu Mina Al-Khayţi Al-'Aswadi Mina Al-Fajri  ۖ  Thumma 'Atimmū Aş-Şiyāma 'Ilá Al-Layli    (2:187)

Translation

"eat and drink until the white thread becomes distinct to you from the black thread of the dawn. Then strictly observe the fast till nightfall"  (2:187)  Surah Al-Baqrah

The above verse makes it clear that fasting begins shortly prior to sunrise and ends when darkness of the night has taken place which is 30 to 40 minutes after we offer our Maghrib prayers.  The Arabic term used for describing the time to end the fast is ليل or "leyl."   This term refers to the darkness of the night and NOT sunset.

Sunset (Maghrib or setting of the sun) and darkness of the night are NOT the same.  Sunset has been explicitly differentiated from nightfall in the Glorious Quran.   A very good example to elucidate this difference is Verse 17:78 of Surah Bani Israel (also known as Surah Al-Isra) which mentions the specific timing for the Maghrib or sunset prayer and the importance of reciting the Quran at dawn.

أَقِمِ الصَّلاةَ لِدُلُوكِ الشَّمْسِ إِلَى غَسَقِ اللَّيْلِ وَقُرْآنَ الْفَجْرِ إِنَّ قُرْآنَ الْفَجْرِ كَانَ مَشْهُودًا
17:78  - Surah Al-Isra

Transliteration

'Aqimi Aş-Şalāata Lidulūki Ash-Shamsi 'Ilá Ghasaqi Al-Layli Wa Qur'āna Al-Fajri  ۖ  'Inna Qur'āna Al-Fajri Kāna Mash/hūdāan    (17:78)

Translation

"Establish worship at the going down of the sun until the dark of night, and (the recital of) the Qur'an at dawn. Indeed! (the recital of) the Qur'an at dawn is ever witnessed."    (17:78)  Surah Al-Isra

The above verse is self-explanatory asserting that the time for Maghrib prayer begins when the sun goes down, that is, at sunset.  The verse also clarifies that Maghrib prayer can be offered from the time the sun goes down until it gets dark which takes about 30 minutes, in certain parts of the globe it might take a bit longer, around 40 minutes.   In this verse 17:78 the Arabic term mentioned for sunset or going down of the sun is   دلوك الشمس  (dulook al-shams), and the Arabic term for "dark of night" is leyl or ليل
"Leyl" or night is by no means the same as as sunset of dulook al-shams.  That's absolutely clear and obvious.

Also, another expression is used in the Quran for the setting of the sun which is مغرب الشمس or maghrib al-shams.   This expression has been used in Verse 18:86 of Surah Al-Kahf.

حَتَّى إِذَا بَلَغَ مَغْرِبَ الشَّمْسِ وَجَدَهَا تَغْرُبُ فِي عَيْنٍ حَمِئَةٍ وَوَجَدَ عِنْدَهَا قَوْمًا قُلْنَا يَا ذَا الْقَرْنَيْنِ إِمَّا أَنْ تُعَذِّبَ وَإِمَّا أَنْ تَتَّخِذَ فِيهِمْ حُسْنًا 
18:86  -  Surah Al-Kahf

Tranliteration

Ĥattá 'Idhā Balagha Maghriba Ash-Shamsi Wajadahā Taghrubu Fī `Aynin Ĥami'atin Wa Wajada `Indahā Qawmāan  ۗ  Qulnā Yā Dhā Al-Qarnayni 'Immā 'An Tu`adhdhiba Wa 'Immā 'An Tattakhidha Fīhim Ĥusnāan   (18:86)

Translation

"Till, when he reached the setting-place of the sun, he found it setting in a muddy spring, and found a people thereabout. We said: O Dhu'l-Qarneyn! Either punish or show them kindness."  (18:86)  Surah Al-Kahf.

The Noble Quran makes it crystal clear that fasting must commence from the time when the early light of dawn begins to appear upto the darkness of the night.  And darkness of the night comes shortly after sunset.

It's very unfortunate that so many folks who fast regularly waste their entire day's effort by breaking their fasts 30 to 40 minutes prior to the prescribed time in the Glorious Quran.

Sunset and night .. the difference is clear.  Ramadan, the month of fasting, is the Month of the Quran.  Yet so many of us violate the Quran by disobeying even the simple timings of fasting confirmed in the Glorious Quran.

And please, for the sake of Allah Almighty, do not make the mistake of searching the Hadith tales for the right time to break the fast.  The only information you will get there will be the grossly incorrect ones.  The idea of breaking the fast dot at sunset arises from the various Hadith narrations of Bukhari etc.  Because of such sources it's now become a standard practice to break the fast as soon as the Maghrib adhan is heard.   By doing this you invalidate your fast by purposely breaking it 30 to 40 minutes earlier, flouting the Divine dictate in preference to man-made traditions.   

For evidence, check the following haphazard and discrepant Hadith apparently scribbled in a haste either by the narrator or the compiler, indicating that neither of them had read the Quran nor knew anything about it.   This is NOT from the Prophet (S).

"Once night comes from there and the day disappears from there, and the sun has set, the fasting person should break his fast." (Hadith - Bukhari)

Senseless and crazy!

There's one specific false Hadith that has crossed all bounds of transgression.  This Hadith maliciously slanders our beloved Prophet (S) by gossiping that the  Prophet (S) would break his fast even before sunset.  Read below.

Narrated Ibn Abi Aufa:
We were in the company of Allah's Apostle on a journey. He said to a man, "Get down and mix Sawiq (powdered barley) with water for me." The man said, "The sun (has not set yet), O Allah's Apostle." The Prophet again said to him, "Get down and mix Sawiq with water for me." The man again said, "O Allah's Apostle! The sun!" The Prophet said to him (for the third time) "Get down and mix Sawiq with water for me." The man dismounted and mixed Sawiq with water for him. The Prophet drank it and then beckoned with his hand (towards the East) and said, "When you see the night falling from this side, then a fasting person should break his fast." (Sahih Bukhari 3:31:162)

I don't know if this lie has been penned by Bukhari or the narrator or some other person who may have double-crossed them later by infiltrating into the Bukhari collection.  Whatever might have happened, this is a sick joke and a rude lie.  These people are trying to propagate (to suit their own selfish purposes) that the Prophet (S) found nothing wrong breaking his fast before sunset when the Quran explicitly confirms and commands not to break the fast until dark (or until 'leil').  And yet, no one in this Ummah seems to complain over such nasty gossips by idlers against the Prophet (S).     

For further references check the following posts:

- What's the right time for taking Iftar?
- Until what time can we eat sahoor?
- Fasting in the Glorious Quran 

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

patricia

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 04:18:23 pm »

You know sometimes it is easy to forget just how lucky I am.

Anyway, I was right about that. I always make my prayer first and then break my fast.

However, you mentioned the timed prayer is from sunset until night so we have that long to get the prayer in.  I remember reading once, cannot remember the verse at the moment, to start the prayer at sunset and keep going until night.

So I had the idea the prayer should last that long.

Secondly, Allah does mention he over looks much in Quran.  Inshallah he will over look those who break it a bit early and give them their fast for the day.

That does not give us an excuse to not study Quran.

I am here for discussion. I take no ones word of mouth. I do my own studying.

Report Spam   Logged
Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 12:43:11 am »

Yep, we all do our own studying sister.  That goes without saying.  My studies based on how I've understood the Noble Quran tells me that those who break their fast at sunset are very definitely and purposely violating an important Quranic instruction that's right before them as large as life.  The fact that it's an intentional violation by giving preference to man-written law over Divine instruction is a serious transgression in my opinion.  Forgiveness, reward and punishment is always upto Allah alone.  That too goes without saying. 

Furthermore, I also think that I could NEVER take advantage of Allah's infinite mercy by flouting His Law and following some imam's law because it suits me more and then comfort myself by thinking, "no problem, Allah is very forgiving and He will forgive me."   Allah has stated in His Message that forgiveness is for those who err unknowingly or through ignorance, then repent and don't repeat the same violation.  But what most Muslims are doing regarding this matter (and many others too) is different.  They know what time the Quran mentions for ending the day's fast, yet, even if you show them the Quranic evidences they turn away and obstinately break their fast 30 to 40 minutes earlier.  First, it's the practical violation.   Second, it's the stubborn intention of being loyal to their imams and ignoring the command of Allah.  If I did this, my guilty conscience would finish me. 
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 12:59:35 am »

Thanks Ruhi.  Good you added the English transliterations too.  Excellent post put up at the right time.  I'll send it around InshAllah.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 01:04:23 am »

I am here for discussion. I take no ones word of mouth. I do my own studying.

Dear sister Patricia.  This needs to be clarified otherwise our many guest readers might misunderstand us.  Don't know why u r emphasizing the stuff you've mentioned above.  We already know it and we all have the same approach.  Your assertion sounds quite out of context as though we are forcing u to accept whatever we put up thru our written communication.   Our job is to put on the table what we see as true or closest to the truth according to our research.  Accept it or not is upto every reader.  We are truth-seekers and truth tellers, not preachers.  We only don't want people to trash our forum and distort its face/atmosphere by putting up some of those aspects disallowed according to our Forum Rules.  That's all .. and we surely have the entitlement to demand that.  But that absolutely does NOT mean we want our readers to accept everything we put up. 

Besides, as u know, this is basically a read-only forum run by the MV Team and we occasionally or seldom select registered members.  Our posts are results of ardous research with the Quran as the Criterion, not gossips and chinese whispers.  Anyone on board who is unhappy, wrongly thinking they are being made to accept "ones word of mouth," we're very sorry about that.  They can simply quit. 
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 01:23:08 am »

Wonderful job Sister Ruhi.  Alhumdulilah. I think Br. AOH had also given similar references in his article on this topic at Quranic path.  But Sister's post is more elaborate and carefully analyzed. 

Btw, @Sister Heba, good rejoinder.  I don't know why this person just wants to antagonize people.

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 01:24:44 am »

Yeah right.  Br. AOH's article was on the same lines exactly, but this one is more detailed.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 03:45:21 am »

However, you mentioned the timed prayer is from sunset until night so we have that long to get the prayer in.  I remember reading once, cannot remember the verse at the moment, to start the prayer at sunset and keep going until night.

So I had the idea the prayer should last that long.

Does the Quran not say to keep praying from dusk until night?

You are getting confused and mixing things up because you are not focused on the topic.   

What I mentioned as in Verse 17:78 (quoted) is the timing for the Maghrib prayer.  Maghrib means sunset time or dhulook as-shams, when the sun goes down.  This is one of the five obligatory prayers to be offered everyday of every month, not just during Ramadan.  The Quran does not say to keep praying from dusk until night.  But what it says and means is to offer prayers between the time the sun goes down until the dark of the night.  That's exactly how long the time for Maghrib prayer lasts.  For example, if Maghrib or sunset time is at 7.00 in the evening, by 7.40 or 7.45 it's completely dark with no redness in the sky either.  This means the time for Maghrib prayer is over .. and this is the right time for breaking the fast because it's dark (or "leil" as in Arabic) by now.  Instead what most people are doing (mostly sunnis) is they begin eating as soon as the sunset time begins on their prayer calendar (and this is the time when the adhan is given for the call of Maghrib prayers) when it's still very bright.  One can even drive one's car at this time without putting on the headlights.  It's not night or leil at all.  Thus, the faithfuls intentionally break their fast at least 40 minutes prior to the given time.  No matter how many evidences you produce from the Quran, the sunnis will reject it as a gesture of loyalty to their imams and as a sign of stubbornness to go against the shiia practice.  Members of the shiia sect (which is much smaller than the sunni sect) do break their fast after Maghrib when it's dark.  This is the correct method.

The Maghrib prayer consists of 5 rakahs .. 3 fard and 2 sunnah (or nafl, however one wants to put it).  Along with supplications at the end, it takes approximately 10 to 15 minutes in total.  It's not a long prayer at all. 

Fasting is an obligatory form of worship for all adults who are physially and mentally normal.  Breaking every fast 40 (or more) minutes earlier every day is a sign of intentional disobedience.   Will Allah punish them or not?  I don't know.  It's entirely upto Him.  But needless to say, that's hardly the right argument nor a proper excuse to violate Allah's law. 

I absolutely understand Zainab's view point of trying to stay focused on the topic.  A little bit of wavering off-topic in discussions is fine which happens all the time.  But if the topic is about Iftar time and you get into the details of Maghrib prayer time, these are 2 different aspects and it will give rise to confusion definitely.  
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 07:45:00 am »

Thank u for the clarification sister Ruhi.  When this person asked "does the Quran not say to keep praying from dusk until night?"  I thought she was referring to specific Ramadan prayers because I was thinking of the topic and the topic is about Ramadan and fasting.  You are correct, this simply refers to the Maghrib prayer which is obligatory and it's not a long prayer at all.   I don't know what made her think that it means "to keep praying from dusk to night.

This former user had such a bad habit of jumping onto a dozen different topics in a single paragraph of a specific thread, spreading utter confusion through & through and yet she just wouldn't start a new topic.  Strange.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 08:03:03 am »

Her knowledge of the Quran was very limited, and was also in the habit of twisting & turning the interpretations according to her personal belief.    It's because of people like these that the Scriptures of the Christians and Jews got changed.   

Moreover, she was only interested in acting like the big genius.  Thus we've now rightly made it clear that MV isn't the right place for narcissists to register.
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 08:10:20 am »

And this post, like all our posts, is so carefully analysed according to the contents of the Quran on breaking the fast, and this person calls it "word of mouth."  Such a rude judgmentalism only refers to how little this person respects the Quran. And she, of all persons, lectures others to discuss with grace.  I ask, how graceful is it to randomly accuse others of posting "word of mouth" material when they're toiling and constantly researching for the truth?
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 08:16:43 am »

Exactly.  
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: