Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 08:28:01 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Are there any good Ahadith ?

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Are there any good Ahadith ?  (Read 724 times)
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

Badges: (View All)
« on: May 19, 2007, 01:10:16 am »

salamem everyone

A hadith adhering friend once mentioned that not all Ahadith are bad.  Some are "beautifully" worded and it wouldn't be right to discard all. 

Yes .. it's true that some Hadith sound decent and are also in conformity with Quraanic values.  Few even sound beautiful.  But they're in the minority, whereas it's the majority that matters.

I recall, a few years ago when I decided to study Hadith thoroughly.   I made a custom collection, nit-picking as many decent ones as I could.  It came to a total of about 150 narrations mostly from Bukhari, but some also from others like Muslim, Tirmidhi, Nasai, Abu Dawood etc. 

A custom collection of '150 decent Hadith' might sound impressive.  But I can hardly say what a difficult time I had selecting those 150 from an infinite bundle of nonsense that made up no less than 5,000 narrations.  And I am told that the total number of all collections is 20,000 plus. 

So, what do we do with these few 'nice' ones? 

I'll repeat some important points that I've already stated in my post titled "The reason I personally found many Ahadith disturbing."

First of all, those 150 nice ones are a drop in the bucket, and cannot make up for the 10,000 plus bad ones. 

Secondly, if Hadith is a reputable institution, we should not be put in a position to pick the nice ones and ignore the bad ones to avoid embarrassment.  This itself is a deceitful strategy.  Either we accept all that are present in the various collections as "authentic," or we reject all, or we reject only the bad ones and retain the good ones as quotes or sayings from anonymous .. not the sayings of the Prophet (pbuh) because we do not know for sure even if these "good" ones were spoken by the Prophet (pbuh) in so many words.  Therefore, attributing them to the Prophet (pbuh) with such haste could jeopardize our chances for Maghfirah on Judgement Day.  As conscientious believers, we need to be very, very careful. 

However, these good ones can be retained for moral and ethical lessons, and to beautify the Islamic literature.  After all, words that are genuinely good are worth reading and retaining, no matter who says them.  But they are NOT to be put alongside with the Quran, and NOT to be presumed as words of the Prophet (pbuh).  There must be no unwarranted presumptions, guesswork and deliberate manipulations. 

The practice of narrating Hadith began some 40 years after the passing of the beloved Prophet (pbuh) by men dubbed as "sahabas" who were in their 20s during the Medinah era, some hadn't even reverted to Islam by then and almost all of them (actually) hardly knew the Prophet (pbuh).  And then, the tactical compilation of hadiths began almost 150 years later.  Considering all of that, regardless of whether or not a hadith sounds positive, it's next to impossible that any of them are the genuine quotes of the Prophet (pbuh).

If you read a hadith that makes sense to you, try to figure out if it's compatible with the ethical values or the broad guidelines of the Quran. 

The only real and original source of Islam is the Noble Quran which is based on reality and truth, not presumptions, concocted stories or poetical philosophies.

Last but not least, an important and logical reason that a hadith which is compatible with the Quran is not indispensable because if it's compatible with Quranic values, then in any case the Quran is already there for reference and recourse.  So, why must we access a Quranic topic through an extra-Quranic literature when the Quran itself is available in our homes for reference and reading?

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 09:05:42 pm »

Perfectly written.  SubhanAllah. 

You're dot on the mark when you say that good hadiths are a drop in the ocean.  This handful of good ones might put us in a quandary as to what needs to be done with the entire literature with so many authors and a constant flow of thousands and thousands of narrations which is badly in need for filtering.

Your method of resolving the problem sounds very wise. I would also say that in order to weed out that little drop in the ocean from the bulk, the entire hadith data should first be computerized so that no new ones from other imams and ulemas make their way in the name of Bukhari, Muslim etc. and attributed to the Prophet (pbuh).  So, if the computerized data says 50,000 hadith narrations, it should say on that number and then be filtered.  Even an increase in the total by one would mean some modern imams are stealthily piling up upon the lies of the medieval imams.
Report Spam   Logged

salaam2011

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 06:27:14 pm »

Dear Brothers and Sisters

I was amongst those that used to read Hadiths on regular basis until I realised how incorrect many are and how they contradict the Quran. Having said that, I read many beautiful narrations in these hadiths that inspired me and I belive they have a very positive message.

There are also some very good hadiths about manners, love towards humanity, justice, tolerance, brotherhood and peace.
Report Spam   Logged
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 01:12:23 am »

Yes u r correct brother.  It was exactly the same with me.  When I began studying the Hadith, it was after being inspired by some very nice narrations sent to me periodically through newsletters by various Islamic centers who are always careful to pick the right hadiths and hide the embarrassing ones.

However, the problem begins when u start reading the hadith literature chapter by chapter, page by page.  That's when I realized that for every inspiring one, there were at least 5 unspiring ones that were horrific enough to shatter my piece of mind.  Then comes the question of logical analysis.  After all, even if a Hadith sounds nice, it has the same source as the ones that are rude & crude.  I'm sure that our Prophet (SAAW) would agree with the contents of those Hadiths that are compatible with the Quran.  But it's also just as possible, if not certain, that the Prophet (SAAW) did not quote them in those exact words.  That's because constructing a false quotation with a false chain (or isnad) in someone's name is not a difficult task at all.  Anyone can do that, just as the hadith narrators & compilers have been doing by using the name of the Prophet. 

Therefor, if u ask me what should we do with the good ahadith, I would say, retain them by all means for acquiring moral lessons and beautifying our literature, but DO NOT use the name of the Prophet (SAAW) because there's no evidence for that.  They should simply be retained as "anonymous quotes."  Even if we are spreading good words, but if that's done on the platform of falsehood, it's not the right way of spreading the truth. 

And as for the offensive ahadith, which are by far the majority, MUST be trashed as one of our most important services to Allah Almighty and our beloved Prophet (SAAW).
Report Spam   Logged

iwan rse

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 06:34:07 am »

Choosing hadith here and there based on its content actually not consistent with hadith 'science'
To be consistent, since hadith credibility is based on isnad (chainofmessage) credibity, if a hadith proven to be false, all hadith from the same isnad lost credibility and must be removed. If the person in the isnad is proven to be false, all hadith which have the person in its chain must be removed. What would happened is hadith genocide then you can see what is left...(or rather, is there any hadith left)....
Report Spam   Logged
Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 02:13:37 am »

Excuse me, but our findings since the last 6 years have indicated that there's no such thing as "science" in the Hadith literature.  The selection of the word 'science' is yet another tactic by Hadith thumpers to dupe its readers.  What they keep babbling as "science" is simply the isnad or chain of narrators.  Isnad is absolutely no evidence of authenticity for any narration.  Anyone can construct a phoney isnad in just a few minutes.  All one needs to know to concoct an isnad is the right family or social connections involving the person about whom the forgery is being committed.  Sometimes not even that because many of those folks like Abu Huraira etc. who were more than 30 years the Prophet's (s) junior most likely never even knew the Prophet (s), yet they are blindly accepted as 'reliable narrators' which is of course absurd!  

Thus, as Muslim analyst Muhammad Asadi correctly stated, this isnad issue commonly known as the "science of Hadith" has itself thrown the ulemas into a dilemma.  In numerous Ahadith they have found that the construction of the isnad seems okay but the contents of those narrations are horrible and false.  Hence, regardless of the isnad, the important aspect is to focus upon what the contents of every narration says.  The Hadith fans should at least have the decency to compare the contents of each Hadith narration with the ideology, principles and commandments of the Noble Quran, and if the contents of any Hadith narration does not conform with the Quran, it MUST be trashed.  Allah has firmly asserted that the Quran is the sole Criterion for judgment for a believer.  Yet the ulemas have set the Quran aside and are using something as weak as the isnad as their criterion.  What a shame!

Moreover, some ulemas also say that every Hadith narration should have at least 2 witnesses to be accepted as authentic.  This demand has also fallen flat on its face because it has been acknowledged within the ulema circle itself that all of Abu Huraira's ahadith (who has narrated majority of the Sunni hadiths) are without a single witness.  Abu Huraira is himself the only witness for every hadith he has narrated.

For more information on the rickety nature of isnad, check our comprehensive post Ever thought of the fallibility of 'Isnad?'

Furthermore, carefully go through each Hadith put up for scrutiny in our board Analyzing specific Hadith narrations  and then let everyone tell us if they can find any such thing as "science" in such nonsense.   It needs to be remembered that we use the Noble Quran as our sole Criterion for judgment.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 06:00:19 pm »

Yes .. the Hadithists would make themselves more rational & reliable if they focused on the substance of every Hadith by comparing its compatibility with Quranic principles instead of using something as fragile as isnad for their standard of judgment. 

Secondly, I also think that the good Ahadith can be retained as it's a good idea retaining wise words.  But they should be retained in the name of either the narrators or preferably in the name of the compilers, not in the name of the Prophet (pbuh) or anyone else because these compilations began 150 or 200 years after the passing away of the Prophet and 150 plus years later there was no reliable evidence nor any record of the exact words spoken by the Prophet (pbuh) nor any of his family members nor close contemporaries.  The only thing we are one hundred percent sure of is that the Prophet (pbuh) followed and preached every single principle of the Noble Quran and supported only the Quran to the fullest.  The evidence of this can be found within the Quran itself in numerous verses.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: