Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 02:03:12 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Homemade Caramel Sauce

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Homemade Caramel Sauce  (Read 1354 times)
Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

Badges: (View All)
« on: November 20, 2011, 05:47:16 am »

BismEm

Hey sis Rose!  responding to your email you asked how to make caramel.  

I'm being honest.  I've never made it at home yet cause I'm shit scared.  It gets very hot at the end and while mixing cream really steams furiously.  Moreover while the caramel is cookin, you either keep stirring it with a wooden spoon or keep shaking the thick-based pan.  In either case be damned careful to make sure not even a single drop of caramel sugar jumps up and gets on to your skin.  It can cause a bad burn ....  just too hot.  

Check the practical demonstration in the video.  It's very simple, only needs very careful handling.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 10:45:34 pm »

Many thanks sis.  This is what I was looking for.  But you're right, it's a bit intimidating to prepare this.  I guess to make it easier, it will be a good idea to use a thick based pot that's large and deep, larger than normally required for that amount of sugar.   This caramel sauce prepared with cream and butter is sinfully delicious!  It's also one of those stuff that can be poured over almost all desserts, cakes and ice-cream.   I suppose one can use unsalted margarine instead of butter.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 10:56:00 pm »

Btw , how much sugar and water?
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 11:02:59 pm »

According to standard measurements, add one-third cup water to every 1 cup of sugar.  I'm sure unsalted margarine in place of butter would be fine.  For 1 cup of sugar, they say 6 tb. sp. butter or margarine but you can make it a bit less if you like.  And half cup heavy whipping cream. 
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 11:04:14 pm »

That's helpful, thanks again .......
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 11:09:01 pm »

And remember sis, safety first to avoid any possible accidents.  When the sugar starts turning brown, it's really hot, even much hotter than boiling water.  If you ever you decide to make this stuff, be sure it's at a time when the kids are not around .... either when they're at school or after you've put them to bed.  It would be a very good idea to put on your oven mittens ..... and yet use a pot that large & deep.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 11:13:08 pm »

Yes exactly ..... perfect suggestions.  Not that I have too much courage to make it anytime soon that I can think of  Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 11:29:38 pm »

Haha   Cheesy Grin  don't blame you.  As a substitute, you might try asking at grocery stores like Loblaws, Metro or Sobeys if they have canned or bottled factory-made caramel sauce.  Don't expect it to be as nice as the homemade one because commerically made stuff always contains preservatives.  However, at least you get the stuff by only having to pay for it, avoiding the somewhat dangerous labor.  If you find it in some store, do check the ingredients before purchase to make sure it's Halal.  Though caramel sauce shouldn't contain any non-Halal ingredients, yet just make sure by reading it. 
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 11:41:48 pm »

Good idea!!  I'll find out.  I've never seen it anywhere though  Sad  not that I recall.  

If I get it, I'd love to use it as frosting over cake.  It also tastes nice if spread roughly over slices of a golden pound cake as in this pic.

But you're right, it won't be the same as homemade caramel sauce.  This one in the pic looks very, very homemade.  and it often thickens like this after it cools completely.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 11:46:40 pm »

yummy!  this looks absolutely mouth-watering.  and yeah, it's typically homemade and pure.  I doubt if the ones in the store (if at all you find it there) will taste nor look as nice.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 11:48:47 pm »

hummmmm   Sad
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 09:08:24 pm »

If I get it, I'd love to use it as frosting over cake.  It also tastes nice if spread roughly over slices of a golden pound cake as in this pic.

]

But u know sis, I recall my grand aunt used to make excellent caramel cake with frosting when i was in college.  She also made it several times before me.  The caramel frosting is made differently than caramel sauce.  It seems much less intimidating.  This one in the pic looks like caramel frosting, not sauce.

Caramel frosting for cake requires butter (or unsalted margarine), milk (or heavy cream), brown sugar, confectioner's sugar and vanilla.    Melt & heat half cup butter or margarine.  Add 1 cup brown sugar and cook for 2 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in half cup heavy cream.  Put it on the cooker.  As soon as it begins to boil, remove from cooker.  Add about approximately 4 teaspoons of confectioner's sugar (icing sugar) and mix well until completely mixed with the frosting.  Cool for 5 to 10 minutes.  Then gradually spread roughly on the top and sides of the cake.   Make sure of two things.  Don't overcook it and when done, don't cool for too long otherwise it might thicken or harden too much and you won't be able to spread it.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 04:10:18 am »

o really?  never knew that caramel sauce and frosting were 2 different things.  Thanks sis!  maybe I could try the frosting ....  can it be used on a plain yellow cake?
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 04:25:26 am »

That's an awesome demonstration of caramel sauce.  It can be delicious!  If you're a bit careful, it's not all that intimidating.  Just make sure you're preparing it in a thick based deep pan, and while pouring the warm cream make sure you remove the caramel from the hot cooker.  Stir it slowly, don't rush for that could splatter.  Don't worry about any lumps that may form.  They'll get dissolved as you keep stirring because this is sugar not corn flour or plain flour. 

And yes, caramel is also available in most grocery stores.  I've seen it in Metro.  It costs around $8 or $9, if I recall correctly. 

Sister Rose, you can use the frosting on any cake.  Plain yellow cake would be fine.  A friend of mine used to use it on homemade burnt sugar cake, which is the same as yellow cake, only you need to mix about 1 table spoon of burned caramel in the batter before baking. 

I have made caramel frosting at home in much the same way as sister Heba described here. It turned out great.   
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 04:30:18 am »

Thanks for this precious info, my sis.  I'll make a note of all this. 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: