Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 10:55:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

"Strong drink" is not referred to as a portent of Allah in Surah An-Nahl

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: "Strong drink" is not referred to as a portent of Allah in Surah An-Nahl  (Read 377 times)
Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

Badges: (View All)
« on: May 25, 2012, 08:41:50 am »

BismEm

This topic needs an emphatic clarification. 

Quoting Verse 16:67

"And of the fruits of the date-palm, and grapes, whence ye derive strong drink and (also) good nourishment. Lo! therein is indeed a portent for people who have sense." (16:67) Surah An-Nahl.

Many people, both Muslims and non-Muslims, ignorantly assume the mention of "strong drink" (or alcohol) in Verse 16:67 as a reference to one of the portents or blessings of Allah.  Totally incorrect!  On the basis of this incorrect assumption, these folks also go about claiming that "alcohol is not Haram in the Quran."   That's another gross misinterpretation. Verse 16:67 refers to nothing of the sort.

If you read Surah An-Nahl carefully, you will observe that from Verse 16:66 to 16:69 Allah is comparing the negative and positive sides of the various things He has created for humankind, the negative coming from the positive ones or vice-versa.  All of these verses elucidate very articulately how something with very positive characteristics can ensue from something unattractive or the other way round (as in Verse 16:67 concerning dates/grapes producing "strong drink").  To explain this point better, let me first quote Verses 16:66-69 of Surah An-Nahl as follows:

"And lo! in the cattle there is a lesson for you. We give you to drink of that which is in their bellies, from betwixt the refuse and the blood, pure milk palatable to the drinkers. (16:66)

And of the fruits of the date-palm, and grapes, whence ye derive strong drink and (also) good nourishment. Lo! therein is indeed a portent for people who have sense. (16:67)

And thy Lord inspired the bee, saying: Choose thou habitations in the hills and in the trees and in that which they thatch;   (16:68)

Then eat of all fruits, and follow the ways of thy Lord, made smooth (for thee). There cometh forth from their bellies a drink divers of hues, wherein is healing for mankind. Lo! herein is indeed a portent for people who reflect."   (16:69)

Verse 16:66 mentions of pure milk which is something very positive being tasty and nutritious for humans, and milk comes through the bellies of cattle from in between its blood and internal refuse which might sound squeamish yet it's wholesome and pleasant.   In Verse 16:67, dates and grapes are the wonders of Allah created for mankind that taste sweet and delicious and are full of nutrition.  But after it rots (or is made to rot through the human-invented process of fermentation) it turns into bitter alcohol which does no good to the human body.  It's left to the choice of humans to either nourish themselves with the fresh and pure healthy fruits as provided by Allah or to allow these fresh fruits to rot and drink them as harmful intoxicants.  Then again, in Verses 16:68-69 Allah mentions how the honeybees construct their structures or the natural beehives.  The internal structure of these natural beehives called honeycomb comprise of densely packed matrix cells made of beeswax to store honey and eggs.  This is how we procure natural fresh honey well-known for its various nutritional properties.  Bees are dreaded by humans as they sting badly, yet natural honey is derived from the bellies of these bees.  That might not sound too attractive, but the fact is that pure and natural honey itself is loved by humans.

Thus, I'm sure anyone can perceive the comparisons along with their contrasts:

Positive                              Negative

Fresh milk                           From bellies of cattle

Dates/grapes                       Also producing alcohol

Bees                                    Giving honey

Therefore, far from thinking that Verse 16:67 allows alcohol, it's the opposite.  Verse 16:67 is a clear hint on alcohol being a negative invention of man by misusing the blessings of Allah.   
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 09:04:20 am »

That's one great emphatic clarification!   Crystal clear.  It was really necessary.  Verse 16:67 has been misinterpreted no less than half a dozen times in my presence by Free Mind supporters at our Muslim community center we often visit and from where some of my friends come for our monthly discussions to our house.  This is a dynamic article with the facts put on the table brilliantly.  I must print it and start a discussion to refute that common misinterpretation on the basis of the contents here.  Many thanks sister Heba.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 09:08:02 am »

Most educative !!  Subhan'Allah.   These factual contents are worth keeping in mind.    JazekAllah khair, my sis.

.... from where some of my friends come for our monthly discussions to our house. 

Brother pt .. your discussions used to be once a weak ....   Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 09:13:01 am »

Couldn't manage it once a weak, sister.  Too short of time .. particularly since my eldest uncle passed away and my father not keeping very good health, me, my brothers, brothers-in-law and cousin are having to put in extra time into our family business.  Going in the morning around 10 and returning around 7 or 8 evening - almost round the clock at work. 
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 09:16:19 am »

Oh!  so sorry brother.  I recall you telling us about your uncle. May Allah Almighty grant him peace, and may Allah also grant good health to your father.  ameen.   

Really long working hours.  But if the business is going well, then you're getting the fruits of your hard work.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 09:17:37 am »

Thank you very much sister Ruhi.   

Yes, by the Grace and infinite Mercy of Allah, the business is going fantastically well.  Alhumdulilah again and again.
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 09:22:56 am »

That's so nice of you sister Heba.  Actually I requested her a couple of days ago if she could pen a clarification for Verse 16:67 in her own good time as I've been a bit busy lately.   I knew it was a difficult topic to write on.  But she did it so fast and so perfectly.    May Allah bless you sis.   This will be tremendously useful for all truth-seekers.

Dear Br. PT, may Allah Almighty bless your beloved family and peace to the departed soul of your dear uncle.   Glad to know the family business is going so well.  And I pray your weekly discussions continue.  InshAllah.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 09:24:38 am »

Yes, sister Heba wrote it wonderfully.  I'll surely make good use of it, Insh'Allah.

And thank you sister Zeynab for your prayers and good wishes.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 09:27:24 am »

That's so nice of you sister Heba.  Actually I requested her a couple of days ago if she could pen a clarification for Verse 16:67 in her own good time as I've been a bit busy lately.   I knew it was a difficult topic to write on.  But she did it so fast and so perfectly.    May Allah bless you sis.   This will be tremendously useful for all truth-seekers.

Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 10:04:20 am »

Thanks for all your appreciation my dear folks!  Smiley  That's my job out here .. to write and spread the Truth.  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: