Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 29, 2024, 12:40:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Natural food coloring

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Natural food coloring  (Read 1160 times)
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

Badges: (View All)
« on: June 01, 2012, 03:42:51 am »

BismEm

With all the health hazards involved in synthetic food dyes, I've heard and read several times that many people are seriously turning to food colors derived through natural sources.  Any idea where natural food colors can be purchased, though I know they're more costly than the synthetic ones?

Btw, would anyone know what color they use in chedder cheese?   I know it's yellow but I wanna know if it's natural or synthetic chemical?    Also Nestles Smarties.  Are all those assorted bright colors effin chemicals?  Hope not.  It'll be very harmful for the long term health of our kids. 
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 04:40:55 am »

You're right sis.  I'm also awfully wary about these synthetic food dyes.  Yet, almost every single thing we buy contains either synthetic yellow, red or blue. These colors are also used for mixing other shades in various foods, cosmetics, toiletries and medicines.  It's definitely worrisome.  Although some people are turning to natural food colors, majority are not bothered.  For this reason, it's very difficult to find natural food colors in regular stores.  If you look for food colors even in the best grocery shops, they will only have synthetic colors.  You might be able to find natural food colors through certain online sources like Amazon or e-Bay etc.   However, there are three or four natural food stores in the U.S. that are selling natural food colors.  You can check the site NATURAL FOOD COLORING for info.  Also, if you scroll down on this page, you will find suggested methods of making your own natural colors at home viz. yellow, red and green with tumeric, beet and spinach, respectively.  That's interesting.  Yellow and green seem easy enough but extracting natural red from beet is a bit complicated.

From what I know, cheddar cheese is okay.  The deep yellow color used in it is annatto.  This is a seed derived from a plant with the same name.  It's a natural food dye.  The seeds look very red but while processing as food color, these seeds can vary in color from bright yellow to deep orange.  This plant is very commonly found in South America and used in many South American foods for its yellow or deep yellow color.  I read that in South America it's also available quite readily in stores in whole seeds or powder. 

According to reports, Nestle's Smarties has dumped all synthetic food dyes for its chocolate beans and is now using a complete range of natural colors.   So, that way it's safe.  But there's another big problem .. so I have read.  I saw in a few websites that Smarties is not Halal because it uses whey as one of its milk ingredients which involves the use of rennet - an animal product - the same whey which is used in some brands of cheese not certified as Halal.  But I will have to double check on this.  I recently got some smarties from nearby Bulk Barn store.  I got it because the listed ingredients on the bin did not mention artificial colors.   I also ate a few and then learned about the use of whey.   I've now put it aside until I again visit that Bulk Barn store to re-check on its list of ingredients.   Right now I cannot recall if whey was mentioned .. if it was, I would have known that it isn't Halal .. or maybe I overlooked while reading in a hurry. 
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 10:09:43 pm »

Don't know how far it's correct but I learned that in Germany, Austria and Sweden, synthetic yellow dye is strictly prohibited.

Thanks for the Smarties warning.   Never knew about it. I too don't recall reading "whey" on its list of ingredients.  But in future before buying I'll check the ingredients carefully.   Nestles has changed quite a few of its old ingredients.  It's likely that whey was used uptil a few years ago but no more.  Most manufacturers are trying hard to make their products acceptable to vegans too for better business.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 10:28:35 pm »

I'm worried too.  Synthetic food dyes are  a confirmed threat for long term good health.  Yet, the manufacturers continue to used them and the food safety authorities in all countries allow them to use synthetic dyes only because they're cheaper than natural food colors.  Everything revolves around money in this "modern" world.

And that bit of info on smarties made my eyes pop out.  Never knew that.  We've been buying it regularly.  But I'll now have to carefully check the ingredients.   I too generally get from Bulk Barn store and don't remember as such ingredient as "whey" being mentioned.  But you're right, maybe we missed it.    I read in the Halal Digest or some similar site that  smarties manufactured only in South Africa is Halal.  But because I didn't find any ingredients that looked Haram on in its list on the bin from where I buy, I assumed the item to be Halal.

The annatto news is interesting.    I would love to find it !!  Thank Allah there's no artificial yellow in cheddar. 
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 10:43:28 pm »

O dear !!    Thanks for mentioning about Smarties.  I'll double check too.  In the meantime, any information anyone gets about it, please let me know.  For the time being we won't buy it and tell the kids it's Haram. 

And thanks for the details on natural food colors, sis.  Doesn't matter if it's more costly.  I'm quite willing to pay more and buy something that's healthier.  This synthetic dyes are real crappy.   This site you mentioned is interesting.  I can make yellow and green but no way can I get bogged down in my kitchen with beet.  I was wondering, the green water from spinach .. won't it be bitter?
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 10:46:00 pm »

I was wondering, the green water from spinach .. won't it be bitter?

No, not necessarily.   Only some spinach bunches taste bitter but they're the isolated ones.  Bitter spinach bunches are rare.  It would be best to taste the green water soon after it's acquired to confirm that it's okay.   
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 10:49:14 pm »

Ok, got it sis.  Check this link.  "whey" is mentioned as one of the ingredients of smarties. 
http://www.nestle.ca/en/products/brands/Smarties/smarties_snack_size.htm

However, it also brings to my mind the topic we discussed here at MV on rennet.  Sister Zeynab had asked brother Shabir Ally about salad dressing containing cheese (apparently with the use of rennet) and he replied that it was a very minor issue and could be overlooked.  I don't know if from the same perspective, smarties can also be allowed.  But I suppose not.  Salad dressing makes up a somewhat important part of one's daily mean especially lunch when one is a work.  But one can easily do without smarties.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 10:57:43 pm »

Nestles should mention the contents of whey in brackets.  That would be the right way.  Whey can be made of rennet & pepsin which would make it Haram, or it can be made of bacterial culture & microbial enzyme which would make it Halal.  All Halal cheese in Muslim stores are made of bacterial culture and microbial enzyme.  These are non-animal sources.  In fact, cheese containing BC and ME are also found in regular North American stores.  We and many of our Muslim friends buy cheese from mainstream stores after reading the contents.  If it contains BC and ME then it's Halal.   It's possible that the whey used in smarties contains BC & ME.  But it's not confirmed because Nestles doesn't say it.  In that case it cannot be given the benefit of the doubt and therefore on the safe side to be regarded as Haram.   That's the way I think.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 11:11:16 pm »

Hmmm.  ME and BC are synthetic enzymes.  There are also vegetable enzymes which too are Halal, as enzymes obtained from the barks of fig tree, nettles and cynara.  In Mediterranean region cheese is made with these plant enzymes.   But I have a feeling Nestles uses the Haram stuff - rennet & pepsin.  This is the cheapest as it's obtained from the body of animals already slaughtered for meat. 
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 11:14:23 pm »

But I have a feeling Nestles uses the Haram stuff - rennet & pepsin.  This is the cheapest as it's obtained from the body of animals already slaughtered for meat. 

I agree with your point.  With these big companies it's all about saving every effin nickel.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: