Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 06:00:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

What is "koonda" among Pakistani & Indian Muslims?

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: What is "koonda" among Pakistani & Indian Muslims?  (Read 6300 times)
Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

Badges: (View All)
« on: June 13, 2012, 03:16:39 pm »

I often hear Muslims from Pakistan and India having occasional get-togethers at their homes called "konda."  I have no idea what it means or what it signifies.  I only learned that they prepare a lot of food and arrange it on the table or on the food mat laid over the carpet.  Guests (who are apparently friends of the household) come in, chat, guzzle the food and buzz off.  LOL.  Now what the heck is this?  Is it just a party or is it supposed to be charity.  If it's charity, then why not distribute that food to the poor instead of  well-to-do friends?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 05:05:52 pm »

Hummm.  Though I'm from Pakistan, I don't know of any food party called "koonda."  That's  because my family is strictly into Quran alone.  Definitely this is something outside the Quran.  The definition of the term "koonda" I know of that's used in Pakistan is a non-religious one referring to a device used for hacking and stealing electricity by thieves from the main poles.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 05:19:00 pm »

LOL !!  really.  This new "konda" sounds just as meaningless as the food party "konda."
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 06:08:09 pm »

Ha ha!  lol.   I too had no idea what this term "koonda" meant apart from (as Ruhi mentioned) some device for pilfering electricity illegally in Pakistan .. even more in India where anything can happen.  Some weeks ago I did some research on this tradition of "koonda" party and I can give some info on it.

Someone at facebook had up a post on "koonda."  I asked him if he was referring to stealing electricity.  He said "no" quite emphatically.  He added that in Urdu it means some kind of cooking utensil and the tradition is named after it.  Though I know Urdu, I've never heard of the word "koonda" being used for kitchen utensils.   That facebook guy did not mention what this tradition is about.  So I began doing my own research.   I discovered that it is definitely un-Quranic.  It's practiced both by South Asian Shiias and Sunnis.  This tradition is unknown among all other Muslims outside South Asia.

As we know, there are many false rituals introduced in the month of Rajab and "koonda" or "koonday" is one of them held on 22nd Rajab.  "Koonday" in Urdu refers to earthen bowls or food containers which I never knew uptil now.  This "koonday" tradition  started with Muslims in India in the early 1900s (probably 1905 or so).  It was introduced by an Indian Muslim family known as the Ameer Menai family.  The purpose of this tradition is to send blessings or reward to the soul of Imam Jafar Sadiq .. the 6th Imam of the descendants of Imam Ali who is respected by both  Shiias and Sunnis.  According to this tradition, on the fulfillment of a "promise," traditional South Asian dishes are prepared and laid on the table in earthen bowls called "koonday."   But in Islam, dedicating charities in the name of humans are NOT allowed.  It is similar to the polytheist custom of dedicating festival foods in the name of false deities or pagan gods.  Quite obviously the Ameer Menai family of India picked up this tradition from the Indian hindus.    This false story claims that Imam Jafar Sadiq instructed the people to observe this practice, promising them that whoever observes it, their desires will be fulfilled.  Needless to say, this is total nonsense.  The pious Imam NEVER said such things.  Moreover, 22nd Rajab has no connections with Imam Sadiq either.  It is neither his birth nor his death anniversary.    Historians unanimously agree that Imam Jafar Sadiq was born in the month of Ramadan and died in the month of Shawwal.   This myth involves many more details but I don't have the time to go through all of that rubbish.

Not to mention, in majority of those rich households where this nonsensical practice is observed, the food of the "koonday" tradition is mainly prepared for friends and relatives of those households and not for the needy.  The needy only get the left over crumbs. 
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 06:20:10 pm »

hummm, hummm, humm .. lol.  Okay, I now get it.  The typical traditional bull.  Some bull contain so much of crap that it's amusing going through that junk. 

There are actually tons of false rituals associated with month of Rajab.  It would b a good idea of make a list of them and put them up to warn the readers.

Many thanks sister Zeynab for the details of this falsehood.  It helps to beware and keep a from baatil.
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 06:31:10 pm »

You are welcomed sis.  Yes.  It will be helpful to make a list of all such false rituals, many of which are in the month of Rajab.  InshAllah, will put that up.
Report Spam   Logged

muslima

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 07:03:14 pm »

stealing electricity by thieves from the main poles...LaaughingAway 

salamem

Shocked  La hawla wala quwwat. Really  these indian muslims have  f* pakistani culture .. Angry
 hmm very good information  ! what i heard was not exactly the same story  rather few more rubbish but it's  really not necessary to discuss that shit , it's so shameful  and sad  ,it  drill"s my brain when  i heard  such nonsense stories behind the traditions  i mean how people just blindly following innovations , such stupid traditions have no confirmation from Noble Quran neither have any authentic history or background but ... Angry

I have got very interesting info regarding that pot/bowl called " koonda '' since  i was not aware of the background of koonda event,so i was quite amazed with this weird name of event koonday  lol ....   well now i know  it's very local name of big bowl .one bro show me pic , the clay pot /bowl or earth pot/bowl they were talking about which is used to make desi yogurt in pakistan dairy shops lol

only this shape of  big clay bowl  is called Koonda  ..(it's koonday ka dahi )

Bowl, piyaala , پیالا  (these small bowls are NOT koonda it's small earth /clay bowl's)

Earthen bowl /Koonday's in which kheer(sweet rice pudding) , halwa(halwa traditional desserts) are filled ,, Since people used to place their  food in  clay bowls /koonday, people somehow started to call it Koonday.some said  clay pot increase the taste of food so they prefer to use these clay bowls . Undecided

Report Spam   Logged

Lo! Allah hath bought from the believers their lives and their wealth because the Garden will be theirs: they shall fight in the way of Allah and shall slay and be slain. It is a promise which is binding on Him in the Torah and the Gospel and the Qur'an. Who fulfilleth His covenant better than Allah? Rejoice then in your bargain that ye have made, for that is the supreme triumph.9:111
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 09:58:33 pm »

O!  okay Smiley  so the term 'koonday' means small earthen pots .. and I guess the word 'koonda' is the singular of 'koonday.'    I've often seen 'kheer' or the Pakistani rice pudding being put individually in such small pots (as shown in the pic you posted) served in weddings.  It might make certain desserts taste better, but I don't think it makes any difference generally.  I have not been to any koonda feast, so I really don't know if they still follow the tradition of using earthen pots as food containers and plates.   As far as I know, nowadays a 'koonda' get-together is no different from any other social gathering of friends or dawat, with food and gossip, calling it 'koonda' in the month of Rajab.  There are some people in South Asia especially among the rich who have strange notions of making life interesting for themselves.  They consider get-togethers great fun and look for excuses to plan a party.   Since the concept of 'koonday' is based on misguidance, thus I'm not surprised that the invitees seldom come with a religious spirit.   
Report Spam   Logged

muslima

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 01:10:27 pm »

No dear sis zeynab small earthen pots are not called koonda .....

The term koonda is name of big earthen yougrt pot / bowl ..see pic  men taking out yougrt from big koonda ..this big earthen bowl still called koonda and used in pakistan dairy shops . yes ! koonda is singular of koonday

Small Earthen pots are called Earthen kheer bowls/ pots

Small kheer bowls have nothing to do with koonda or koonday  .. they are simply small clay bowls /maati ke pyale , kheer ke pyale /, small earth bowl , they are not in the category of koonday  ..

yes u are right i agree this practice is a total misguidance , false tradition which recognised by wrong (pot) name.. Angry  their jahalat have made religion joke  Angry i too  have never attend any dawat of koonday but i have tasted both earthen bowl yogurt and earthen pot kheer when i visited pak , The fragrance of earthen pot make it feel nice nothing else .... yeah i agree with u here also these sick rich people in south asia never lose any chance to arrange entertaining  dawat /parties though i think they don't do in the same way as middle and lower class families  ( in indo ,pak called ) do with typical rituals and bidah ,as far i know now  rich people may be have replaced  them with expensive colorful pots but the both classe's still prefer old traditional "earthen bowls for this event of koonday  ..... Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Lo! Allah hath bought from the believers their lives and their wealth because the Garden will be theirs: they shall fight in the way of Allah and shall slay and be slain. It is a promise which is binding on Him in the Torah and the Gospel and the Qur'an. Who fulfilleth His covenant better than Allah? Rejoice then in your bargain that ye have made, for that is the supreme triumph.9:111
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 09:18:30 pm »

hummm, okay.  I get your point.   Sorry I misread the information and thanks for the clarification, sis. In any case, the important point is that this is a wrong and misguided custom and whatever kind of container koonday refers to doesn't change that.  It maybe possible that in some koonday parties (particularly in modern urban areas) they might not use earthen containers, neither big nor small.  They might simply use modern crockery.  Yet the intention and practice remains the same and is definitely un-Quranic.   
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 04:30:00 am »

Btw ,, I got this a few minutes ago from facebook.  Someone put up a pic of koonda feast in their home .. probably from the previous year or before.  They mostly use regular food containers nowadays.

Report Spam   Logged

muslima

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 05:14:27 am »

Emhummm okay .. But as u said no difference if the containers are changed . i wish people try to change their minds also and follow straight path The true guidance of Noble Quran only . Ameen .May Allah guide ummah to realize the severity of the day of judgment when every individual will be questioned for each single act..  whether  it's wishful following of false traditions or knowingly committing bidah ,or nazar niaz /spiritual vow .. all bullshit

Report Spam   Logged

abbottonian

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 09:54:10 am »

Salam to all
LOL! Koonda is also used as a slang when someone loses lot of money or other material objects he will say "MERA TO KOONDA HO GAYA"OR "BAHI KYUN HAMARA KOONDA KARANY KA SOCH RAHAY HO"Etc
And yes Koonday is still practiced in Pakistan it came to Sunnis from Shias.But Alhamdulillah never in my house.This is sheer ignorance of the Quraanic teachings.
May Allah show us the right path and open our hearts for understanding the Holy Quraan.
Report Spam   Logged

Asif Raza:- No tool is more beneficial than knowledge and no weapon is more dangerous than ignorance.
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 10:22:43 am »

LOL .. thanks for this info brother. 

You're absolutely right.  It's sheer ignorance.  We have also never followed this practice in our home, and neither have I attended this event in anyone else's house. 

May Allah Almighty continue to guide all of us, ameen.

Report Spam   Logged

muslima

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 02:29:11 pm »

LOL! Koonda is also used as a slang when someone loses lot of money or other material objects he will say "MERA TO KOONDA HO GAYA"OR "BAHI KYUN HAMARA KOONDA KARANY KA SOCH RAHAY HO"Etc

hahahaha ! really  Cheesy thanks bro
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: