Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 19, 2024, 07:07:28 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Three most healthy breakfast choices

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Three most healthy breakfast choices  (Read 524 times)
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

Badges: (View All)
« on: September 26, 2012, 07:27:39 pm »

BismEm

Most of us would probably eat a fried egg, a couple of buttered toasts and a coffee or tea for breakfast before rushing to work in the morning.  Some might simply grab a doughnut or a croissant and some hot coffee from a coffee shop before catching the bus or train to work.  But our traditional breakfast contributes little to improve our long-term health and more often helps to damage it.  

Instead of these conventional choices of breakfast, try something different.  It's been approved as the best morning meal by dietitians, much better for your health and less costly for your budget.  The three most healthy breakfast choices are:
- Fruits
- Oatmeal
- Yogurt

FRUITS:

Fruits are known to be one of the best natural foods for great health.  All kinds of fruits are packed with natural chemicals, vitamins and minerals that the body needs.  However, most fruits are also known to be high in natural sugar.  Only diabetics need to go slow on fruits.  But for the healthy ones, about 8 to 10 average pieces of any fruit or assorted fruits are a great choice for starting breakfast. For diabetics the best choice would be an apple a day.  Fruits, like all other foods, must be enjoyed in moderation as part of a balanced diet.

OATMEAL:

Rolled oats are known as oatmeal in North America often sold in cardboard containers.   But I usually buy them from the bulk barn stores where oatmeal is available in bins and you can buy the quantity you desire in plastic bags.  These are cheaper than the packed ones and the quality is exactly the same.  These oats have been steamed, dried, sliced and then flattened, producing the flat oatmeal shape that we have become accustomed to. There are actually three types of rolled oats:

(1) old-fashioned,
(2) quick-cooking, and
(3) instant.

The good news is, oatmeal has been known to curb high cholesterol associated with meat and animal products.

How to cook oatmeal for breakfast:

Oatmeal cereal with walnuts and raisins

3 cups water
    1 cup dry oatmeal
    1/2 cup milk
    Sugar to taste
    1 large apple, peeled, cored and chopped
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts and raisins

This will serve up to 3 or maybe 4.  If you want to prepare oatmeal for breakfast only for yourself or for any one member of your family, reduce the measurements accordingly.  You might then need only 1 cup of water and half cut of oatmeal.  Rest of the ingredients can be adjusted as per your choice.

In a saucepan bring water to a boil. Stir in oatmeal. Reduce heat and cook 25 minutes. Stir in milk and sugar and cook 5 more minutes. Serve topped with chopped apples, walnuts and raisins.

Variations:
(1)  You can replace apples with any other fruits of your choice like chopped pear, peaches, strawberry halves etc.  However, I prefer to top oatmeal with raisins and nuts only.  My family usually eats a some pieces of fruits prior to taking cereals.
(2) While stirring in oatmeal to the boiling water, some might like to add a pinch of cinnamon powder.  But we aren't too crazy about the cinnamon flavor in cereals and desserts so I skip that.  However, it's just an idea for you, in case you like it.
(3)  Another option is adding some bran along with milk and sugar to your oatmeal. It makes it higher in soluble fiber and is particularly suitable for those with chronic constipation.  Bran never changes the taste of cereals.

By the way, don't get confused between oatmeal and porridge.  They are both basically the same thing with two different names.  In North America it's called oatmeal while in Britain it's better known as porridge.   It is just the way it is cut or processed. Oatmeal is more of a rolled oat which is rolled out to become flat and porridge is chopped up and not rolled.

YOGURT:
As a dairy product, yogurt contains significantly less fat than others like whole milk, butter and cheese.  Yogurt contains certain good enzymes that help greatly in digestion.  Yogurt is known to be a very light food which can also safely be taken while suffering from stomach ailments and digestive problems.  Additionally, yogurt is a great source of calcium everyone needs.

Yogurt can have a number of variations.  Sweetened yogurt with fruits are the commonest ones available in stores.  But I have my own variation.  I use plain yogurt.  Take a couple of tablespoons of plain natural yogurt, whip it smooth with a fork and then season it with a pinch of sugar, salt, cumin powder and a dash of garlic & ginger paste.  Whip again until the seasoning is well mixed.  Enjoy.  This form of yogurt is more of a savory than a sweet and is also taken accompaniment with main dishes in my part of the world.  It can be garnished with freshly chopped coriander leaves, cucumber slices, few pieces of chopped tomatoes or you can also mix a small quantity of boiled chickpeas with it.  It's perfect to be eaten after you've enjoyed your morning fruits and cereal.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 10:54:23 pm »

That's great breakfast guidelines for adults.  I especially like the yogurt with chickpeas.  I guess this style of yogurt is called 'raeta' right?   For my husband and me this breakfast is ideal.  We already take fruits and cereal (though haven't yet tried oatmeal, will try it now after reading this InshAllah), but the kids need to have an egg and toast after fruits and cereals otherwise they're not happy with the morning meal Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: