Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 04:41:27 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

What is time? Does time exist? According to the Qur'an?

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: What is time? Does time exist? According to the Qur'an?  (Read 1417 times)
MuslimanMahlon
Allah suffices

Badges: (View All)
« on: January 14, 2013, 03:50:46 am »

I remember in highschool, a couple kids were having a disscussion about time. This one girl was stating that she doesn't believe in time, well, because she said time doesn't exist- that it is man made. Similar to the picture above, that time is only perceived by us because of innovations such as clocks. I was sitting around this discussion, and couldn't bother to butt in. I quickly said, what about the Sun and Moon? As I felt these were God's indicators that time did exist. Our bodies get older and older... Is that not a reflection on time in itself? The girl just refuted all this and still argued time is man-made. Not being an expert on the issue I left it at that. And no one took my side.

But now, I am bringing this issue to the board. And now, as a Muslim, I would like to know, what does the Qur'an say about time? An interesting note to be shared, is that this young girl who argued time is man-made was also Muslim.
Report Spam   Logged

“Truth always rests with the minority, and the minority is always stronger than the majority, because the minority is generally formed by those who really have an opinion, while the strength of a majority is illusory, formed by the gangs who have no opinion — and who, therefore, in the next instant (when it is evident that the minority is the stronger) assume its opinion… while truth again reverts to a new minority.”

Soren Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

MuslimanMahlon
Allah suffices

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 03:55:52 am »

Oh, salaam alaykum to everyone out there (:
Report Spam   Logged

“Truth always rests with the minority, and the minority is always stronger than the majority, because the minority is generally formed by those who really have an opinion, while the strength of a majority is illusory, formed by the gangs who have no opinion — and who, therefore, in the next instant (when it is evident that the minority is the stronger) assume its opinion… while truth again reverts to a new minority.”

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 06:21:59 am »

Walaikum Salam and hi dear brother Smiley  

Yep, you were right; the girl was wrong.  Maybe she wasn't perceptive enough to grasp too accurately certain facts as elucidated in the Noble Quran.

Time exists.  However, clocks are man-made and an attempt to measure earthly time.  It can measure time to suit the needs of humankind within the limits of this world but beyond that it is naught.  This does NOT mean that time does not exist outside this world.  It surely does, but it's exact measuring is known to Allah alone.

Definitely the rotation / revolution of earth, daylight and nightfall, changes in the appearances of all living beings including plants and also the different eras through the annals of history are all indications of time, that time constantly moves forward and cannot be reversed.  The destination involving the movement of time is the Day of Judgment.  That reference is very clear in the Quran.  The Quran also mentions of the sun and the moon existing for an appointed term. "Allah it is Who raised up the heavens without visible supports, then mounted the Throne, and compelled the sun and the moon to be of service, each runneth unto an appointed term; He ordereth the course; He detaileth the revelations, that haply ye may be certain of the meeting with your Lord."  (13:2).  As you would understand, this verse plainly asserts the concept of a particular time frame outside this world.

The Quran mentions of how the soul will lose track of time during Resurrection.  It will be like a deceptive feeling within the soul, a reference more to disbelieving souls as I've observed.  This implies to an unreal feeling within the soul concerning time.  But in reality, time exists according to the measuring of Allah. "And on the day when the Hour riseth the guilty will vow that they did tarry but an hour - thus were they ever deceived."  (30:55).

The Quran also states that the calculation of time in the next dimension is very different from its calculation in this world, which again brings the comparison between the limited boundaries of earth that recognizes the clock and the rest of the universe where time is measured by Allah.  In several verses the Quran clearly conveys that the duration of time in the other dimension is much longer, almost infinite, compared to our calculations based on clocks and calendars.  "a Day with Allah is as a thousand years of what ye reckon."  (22:47).

Therefore yes, time surely exists.  It's on the basis of the existence of time that we need to hurry and grasp the guidance of Allah in order to get a good report in the hereafter, otherwise it will be too late.

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 06:37:29 am »

Wa'salaam my dear brother Smiley 

hummm, bright topic MashAllah.  I think sister Heba more or less covered all the points that I would have mentioned.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 07:00:59 am »

Additionally, it's also worth knowing that even within this world, the calculation of time according to the secular clock is different from the Quran.  The secular or worldly clock indicates a new day to start from 12.00 midnight.  The Quran indicates a new day from dawn.

When does a new day start as per the Glorious Quran?

Walaikom Salam brother.
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 07:03:51 am »

True brother .....
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 02:39:16 pm »

O yes, time does exist brother.  The reason why Allah mentions of the five daily obligatory prayers in the Quran at different parts of the day with  references to the sun's movements indicate time. 
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 02:41:17 pm »

Correct sister Ruhi.  This is another very good point. 
Report Spam   Logged

muslima

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 03:56:00 pm »

salamem

Nay, but they denied that, the knowledge whereof they could not compass, and whereof the interpretation (in events) hath not yet come unto them. Even so did those before them deny. Then see what was the consequence for the wrong-doers 10:39

By the declining day, (By (the Token of) Time (through the ages), 103:1

Lo! man is a state of loss,103:2

hmmm  intelligent question  and brilliant answer Mashallah completely agree with u guys ! well scientists are only the source of explanation to confusing generations and  those who's  believe on  theories ,logic. The fact that exsitence of  time ,existence of hour, day (part of day - how to divid our one day into  parts (sis ruhi is right) !! yes  ALLAH told us via salat timings  (When ye have performed the act of worship, remember Allah, standing, sitting and reclining. And when ye are in safety, observe proper worship. Worship at fixed times hath been enjoined on the believers.4:103  ) ,12 month in one year ,How many days in one month ( via fast counting of fasts in the month of ramadan ) Speed of time ,travelling at speeds (,As the experience of the Prophet Muhammad's mir'aj - his ascension). these folks are still unable to grasp the total time minute or seconds, . Era , period of time long or short  is so clearly mentioned in the Quran, Alhumdulliah. Allah sent down the Quran to mankind as a book of guidance. In addition Quran has many miraculous attributes proving that it is a revelation from supperpower and the language of the Noble Quran is a miracle by itself that covers a wide range of meaning and message  many scientific facts that are expressed in an extremely concise and profound manner in verses hint at the limits of our understanding....though i am not an expert  .Adding little bit more Smiley

And on the day when He shall gather them together, (when it will seem) as though they had tarried but an hour of the day, 10:45

He will say: How long tarried ye in the earth, counting by years? 23:112

They will say: We tarried by a day or part of a day. Ask of those who keep count! 23:113

He will say: Ye tarried but a little if ye only knew. 23:114

In a different context, billion years may be conceived as one minute or even less. The length of it's duration only Allah knows all alone . agree with sis heba.

How Do we Know The Number of 12 month in year ?

He it is Who appointed the sun a splendour and the moon a light, and measured for her stages, that ye might know the number of the years, and the reckoning. Allah created not (all) that save in truth. He detaileth the revelations for people who have knowledge. 10:5

Lo! the number of the months with Allah is twelve months by Allah's ordinance in the day that He created the heavens and the earth. Four of them are sacred: that is the right religion. So wrong not yourselves in them. And wage war on all of the idolaters as they are waging war on all of you. And know that Allah is with those who keep their duty (unto Him).9:36

day's counting in one month via the moon phases cycle .How moon complete phases cycle in one month so that's how we know one months have 29/30 days (in islamic calendar )

Today health experts speak so loud about healthy routine , time managements but actually the idea of day time work and rest in night has given by Allah to mankind .

He it is Who hath appointed for you the night that ye should rest therein and the day giving sight. Lo! herein verily are portents for a folk that heed.10:67

so Acording to the schedule and the calculation provided by Quran if a man has succeeded to make 12 digit clock so what's a big deal ,???  though this men made clock have nothing to do with the time measured by Allah because out side this world time is not limited in seconds ,minutes or hours but it's like period and era . As far i know  Befor the creation of universe no notion of divided time like our day ,it's  only time period ?.. As many verse says Allah's one day our 1000 years.Now My questuion is about the Day i need ur opinion  does it mean day or era / time period ??

In this context the Quran declares.

ٱللَّهُ ٱلَّذِي خَلَقَ ٱلسَّمَٰوَٰتِ وَٱلأَرْضَ وَمَا بَيْنَهُمَا فِي سِتَّةِ أَيَّامٍ

Allah created the heavens and the earth, and all that is between them, in six days" 7:54.

The phrase سِتَّةِ أَيَّام (six days or periods) is used for the duration of the creation ?

6 ‘YAWM’     6 days

word "yawm" (plural is "ayyam")

يوم   yawm / day 

يوم   A time, whether night or day,

and day, meaning the period from the rising of the sun to it's setting 

ايام  ayyam day pl. also: age, era, time / time period

yet specifically identifies ayyam as referring to age, era and time. Thus ayyam could indeed refer to a long duration or several periods.

??

mean the Quranic concept of ‘YAWM’ is not the same as the one which is in common use for the following .Quranic meaning of ‘YAUM’ is “one period of time” which is of variable length ?. This could be equal to our millions or billions of years because The Quran has used the word ‘YAWM’ for a variable length of time also in surah As- sujdah verse 5

He directeth the ordinance from the heaven unto the earth; then it ascendeth unto Him in a Day, whereof the measure is a thousand years of that ye reckon. 32:5

He is the One Who plans everything from earth to heavens and then everything will reach Him in a day equivalent to 1000 years in your calculation.

(Whereby) the angels and the Spirit ascend unto Him in a Day whereof the span is fifty thousand years.70:4

Similarly in Surah Al-Ma`arij 70:4 “YAWM” is used to describe a period of 50,000 years.The angels and the Spirit ascend to Him in a day, the measure of which is fifty thousand years. Here angels will experience 1 day while humans will measure it as 50,000 years ? (It will happen at a time when angels and Jibraeel will rise towards Him on a day equal to 50 thousand years)

Thus meaning of the Arabic word “yawm / day/  يوم” that denotes not only the space of time of one day – which comprises 24 hours – but also a certain period of time ,the six 's yawm -يوم  could be understood as six periods of time ??

Right or wrong ??
Report Spam   Logged

Lo! Allah hath bought from the believers their lives and their wealth because the Garden will be theirs: they shall fight in the way of Allah and shall slay and be slain. It is a promise which is binding on Him in the Torah and the Gospel and the Qur'an. Who fulfilleth His covenant better than Allah? Rejoice then in your bargain that ye have made, for that is the supreme triumph.9:111
Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 07:06:53 am »

MashAllah, absolutely right sister Muslima Smiley  Your post is more comprehensive than mine.  You included all points .. super!  

The Verse on "6 yawm" is often misunderstood by many readers.  They right away take it in literally thinking it means "6 Days" as per the counting within this world.  First the existence of time and then, the difference between time on earth and beyond have often been misunderstood.  But once we start focusing carefully on every aspect described by the Noble Quran, it really gets very easy to follow.  

It reminds me of a very interesting joke on 'time' that I heard from a relative of mine.  Quote: "A man asked God 'how long is a million years to You ?'  God replied, 'a million years is like a minute.'   Then the man asked, 'how much is a million dollars to You ?'   God replied, a million dollars is like a penny.'  The man requested God asking,  'God can You please give me a penny?'   God replied, 'just a minute.' "   Smiley  Alhumdulilah.  That's how different the great ordinance of Allah is compared to human thoughts.
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 11:20:14 am »

SubhanAllah, sister Muslima.  So informative, as always. 

"A man asked God 'how long is a million years to You ?'  God replied, 'a million years is like a minute.'   Then the man asked, 'how much is a million dollars to You ?'   God replied, a million dollars is like a penny.'  The man requested God asking,  'God can You please give me a penny?'   God replied, 'just a minute.' "   Smiley  Alhumdulilah.  That's how different the great ordinance of Allah is compared to human thoughts.

Hummm Smiley  I had read this joke too in a email forward quite sometime ago.  It's a very simple explanation of the difference between the duration of earthly time and the time in the next realm .. both durations are ordained by Allah Almighty.   Praise be to Allah.

Allah bless you sisters. 
Report Spam   Logged

muslima

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 01:54:39 pm »

It reminds me of a very interesting joke on 'time' that I heard from a relative of mine.  Quote: "A man asked God 'how long is a million years to You ?'  God replied, 'a million years is like a minute.'   Then the man asked, 'how much is a million dollars to You ?'   God replied, a million dollars is like a penny.'  The man requested God asking,  'God can You please give me a penny?'   God replied, 'just a minute.' "   Smiley  Alhumdulilah.  That's how different the great ordinance of Allah is compared to human thoughts.

Hmmm right ! human couldn't understand  beyond their limits even .

Alhamdulillah . Jazak  Allah dear sisters    Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Lo! Allah hath bought from the believers their lives and their wealth because the Garden will be theirs: they shall fight in the way of Allah and shall slay and be slain. It is a promise which is binding on Him in the Torah and the Gospel and the Qur'an. Who fulfilleth His covenant better than Allah? Rejoice then in your bargain that ye have made, for that is the supreme triumph.9:111
MuslimanMahlon
Allah suffices

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 03:03:37 am »

Jazak'Allah khair to everyone for there insight and contribution to this thread! (: Allah bless you all.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 08:20:50 pm »

You're welcomed brother.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: