Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 04:09:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Surah An-Naziat (Verses 79:1-5)

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Surah An-Naziat (Verses 79:1-5)  (Read 1251 times)
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

Badges: (View All)
« on: January 31, 2013, 07:57:29 pm »

BismEm

Translations of the first 5 verses of Surah An-Naziat by different translations sound quite different from each other.   I compared the translations of Pickthall, Haleem, Yusuf Ali and Shakir.  Pickthall and Haleem seem to express a similar meaning.  Yusuf Ali and Shakir sound similar to each other.  Thus, Pickthall and Haleem on one side and Yusuf Ali and Shakir on the other, differ vastly.  The following are the different translations:

Pickthall translation:
By those who drag forth to destruction,
By the meteors rushing,
By the lone stars floating,
By the angels hastening,
And those who govern the event,  (79:1-5).

Abdel Haleem translation:
By the forceful chargers
raring to go,
sweeping ahead at full stretch,
overtaking swiftly
to bring the matter to an end,  (79:1-5).

Yusuf Ali translation:
By the (angels) who tear out (the souls of the wicked) with violence;
By those who gently draw out (the souls of the blessed);
And by those who glide along (on errands of mercy),
Then press forward as in a race,
Then arrange to do (the Commands of their Lord),  (79:1-5).

Shakir translation:
I swear by the angels who violently pull out the souls of the wicked,
And by those who gently draw out the souls of the blessed,
And by those who float in space,
Then those who are foremost going ahead,
Then those who regulate the affair.(79:1-5).

The question is, which one is closest to the original?   Your feedback please.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 08:24:00 pm »

Here I would say Pickthall's translation is the most confusing because it's unnecessarily too metaphorical.  Haleem's not too different.  Yusuf Ali's appears most accurate.  From Verses 1 to 5 of Surah An-Naziat, The Almighty mentions the certain activities of the angels which includes how, at the time of death, they receive the souls of the guilty and the righteous.  Verses 1 and 2 state how the angels receive the souls of the two different categories of people.

In original Arabic of V.79:1 the word "gharqan" is mentioned which means "violently." 

"Those who extract violently (gharqan),"  79:1

In V.79:2 the word "nashtan" is stated which means "gently."

"And those who draw out gently (nashtan),"  79:2

Thus the two above Verses are simple and clear, and I think this time Yusuf Ali has translated from Verses 1 to 5 of Surah An-Naziat best. 

We often see the traditionalists' commentaries on angels receiving the souls of the guilty to be somewhat inaccurate compared to the original Words of The Almighty.  For instance, read the following.

"If you could see, when the wrong-doers reach the pangs of death and the angels stretch their hands out (saying): Deliver up your souls. This day you are awarded doom of degradation for that you spake concerning Allah other than the truth, and used to scorn His portents."  (6:93)  Al-Anam.

Even though the above Verse is very clear, Shaykh Abu Jafar al-Qurtubi has given the following tafsir which I don't know from where he got.

"Here it is stated that death is painful for the disbelievers. Although they are ordered to surrender their souls to the angels, they are unwilling; therefore, the soul must be forced out as it does not wish to meet its punishment."   (Tafsir by Qurtubi).   The underlined portion is not in the Quran.  That's Qurtubi's own idea. 

The website SunnahOnline comes up with a still more exaggerated and apparently imaginary description, obviously from some other Hadith because such notions are totally absent in the Quran.  Quoting SunnahOnline: 'According to hadith, the Angel of Death ... says, "O you foul soul, come out to the anger and wrath of your Lord." The soul inside the disbeliever's body is overcome by terrible fear [and does not want to deliver itself up], whereupon the Angel of Death violently pulls it out like multi-pronged skewers being yanked out of wet wool - tearing with the arteries and nerves." '

Indeed I'm sure the soul of the disbeliever at this time will be overcome by extreme fear.  But the Quran doesn't say that the disbeliever will refuse to hand over their soul to the Angel of Death.  No living being has the ability for that when the appointed time to depart comes.  At this moment the disbeliever will be well aware of this fact and there is nothing they can do to postpone it.

Furthermore, I have read another Hadith, not sure if it's narrated by Umm Salamah or Abu Huraira which says that the "Angel of Death comes to the dying believer, sits at his head and says, 'O you good soul, come out and receive your Lord's forgiveness and pleasure.' Then the soul flows out effortlessly just as water flows from the mouth of a waterskin."

Needless to say, traditional sources say plenty that have no conformity with the Noble Quran.

Furthermore, the Quran also expresses similar information in Verses V.50:19 and V.39:42 which I quote as follows.  You can perceive how different it is from the Hadith notion.

"And the agony of death comes in truth. (And it is said unto him): This is that which you were wont to shun."  (50:19).

"Allah receives (men's) souls at the time of their death, and that (soul) which dies not (yet) in its sleep. He keeps that (soul) for which He hath ordained death and dismisses the rest till an appointed term. Indeed! herein verily are portents for people who take thought."  (39:42).

Coming back to Surah An-Naziat, whether or not Verses 3, 4 and 5 of Surah 79 An-Naziat refer to the Day of Resurrection or allude to the duties of angels at all times is known to Allah only.

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 08:52:23 pm »

Ah!  okay.  I should have suspected the imaginary works of Hadith and how many translators feel duty-bound to keep their translations compatible with those guessworks.  I've also read that Hadith about the waterskin, and yes there's a lot of chattering on experiences during death which are unwarranted in the Quran.  I mean, it's very possible that the experiences during death will be more than what Allah has shared with us in the Quran.  But those unknown experiences are at the moment only known to HIM.  It's impossible that even the Prophet (pbuh) knew the details stated in the Hadith.   As always, Ahadith on this topic too are unacceptable.

Many thanks for the great clarifications, my sister.
Report Spam   Logged

muslima

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 07:38:36 pm »

salamem

Mashallah brightview this post benefits me jazak Allah  very good point  Yusuf ali and shakir both are unreliable ,their translations are based on hadith also the selection of words mostly not compatible with Quranic concepts
Okay its clear !!
angels coming to take the souls at death,which is a fitting oath as this is a fearful event that can not be avoided just as the hour of doom can not be avoided..

but this hadith issue bugs me  Undecided  i might be wrong just thinking so My question is regarding the presumed process of punishment at death time by the angel of death ? Of course separation of soul from the physical body could be painful But Allah does not mention in Quran that angels can punish any soul The responsibility of death angel is to take the soul from persons body and brought back to Allah  Simply whether person is sinner (muslim) or disbeliever rather these feeling are knowing the truth ,these fearful and peaceful feelings which are presumed as painful death of sinner/ disbeliever or painless death of pious both feelings depends on whether the person believed in Allah or not before their death and on the deeds they did during their lifetime because somehow  wrongdoer knew that they were wrong and now it's end of earthly life chances and Ultimate truth is about to come and believer feels  calm at the time of death ..
???   Huh.
Report Spam   Logged

Lo! Allah hath bought from the believers their lives and their wealth because the Garden will be theirs: they shall fight in the way of Allah and shall slay and be slain. It is a promise which is binding on Him in the Torah and the Gospel and the Qur'an. Who fulfilleth His covenant better than Allah? Rejoice then in your bargain that ye have made, for that is the supreme triumph.9:111
Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 05:15:20 pm »

Walaikum salaam, dear sister. 

Here is my view in brief.  Allah has made it clear in the Quran that at the time of the final departure, the angel of death will come to receive our souls (at the order of Allah, of course).  There are verses in the Quran that also convey the concept that that final experience will not be nice for disbelievers because that will be the time when they will realize that their disbelief has beguiled them and now it's too late to repent nor can they return to earth to profess belief.  Since the Quran also clarifies that their are grades of righteousness and unrighteousness, therefore the experience of pleasantness or unpleasantness may also vary depending on the quality of an individual.  Only Allah would know the details.  But I don't know of any Quranic verse where Allah states that the angels will come and forcefully pull out the soul in the case of disbelievers.  Allah has already ordained the day & time of death for everyone.  This means, when the exact moment of death arrives, that individual has no power to fight to keep his or her soul.  At that point the soul has to leave the body and the angel of death simply comes to receive it on the instructions of Allah.  It's certainly possible that the angel of death would appear welcoming to a believer and stern to a disbeliever, the details of which are again known best to Allah only.  But apparently there will be no need for the angel of death to snatch the soul or to remove it forcefully because the person is helpless to retain it any longer against the will of Allah.  But Hadith does not think on these lines because Hadith writers never read the Quran.  For that reason in almost all Hadith narrations we notice that the incorrect ideology of Hadith does not look upon Allah as the Supreme or the Absolute Power by discreetly trying to share the sole authority of Allah with angels and other humans.  Nauzbillah. 
Report Spam   Logged

muslima

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 04:30:57 am »

emmm exactly ! i am completely agree with ur view .In fact ur words are perfect expressions, yeah very satisfying reply many thanks my dear sister heba .  Smiley

Report Spam   Logged

Lo! Allah hath bought from the believers their lives and their wealth because the Garden will be theirs: they shall fight in the way of Allah and shall slay and be slain. It is a promise which is binding on Him in the Torah and the Gospel and the Qur'an. Who fulfilleth His covenant better than Allah? Rejoice then in your bargain that ye have made, for that is the supreme triumph.9:111

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: