Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 19, 2024, 03:53:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Regarding Jalaleyn tafsir translated by Aisha Bewley

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Regarding Jalaleyn tafsir translated by Aisha Bewley  (Read 10164 times)
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

Badges: (View All)
« on: May 23, 2013, 01:04:09 am »

This is concerning Sister Heba's query at the shoutbox:  "I suppose Aisha Bewley has translated the Jalalenyn commentary or tafsir of the Quran into English. But I guess it's available only in book form. Couldn't find it online.  Wud anyone know if it's available in pdf format?  Most importantly, does any1 know of the quality of that tafsir?"

I do know of one Jalaleyn tafsir in PDF format but not by Aisha Bewley.  The English translation is by Feras Hamza, and edited & introduced by Ghazi bin Muhammad bin Talal.  To be honest, I've never heard of either to these two men and have no idea who exactly they are, except that probably they belong to Jordan because the publication was through an institute in Jordan.  Aisha Bewley's translation of the Jalaleyn tafsir is only available in hard cover at Islamic Bookstore.com and very pricey, $90 and $80 on sale. 

http://www.islamicbookstore.com/b9739.html

Here is the PDF format English translation of the Jalaleyn tafsir: 

https://www.altafsir.com/Books/Al_Jalalain_Eng.pdf     which you can read anytime. 

However, don't expect too much from the quality.  It's a translation of the 15th century Arabic tafsir or commentary of the Quran written by Jalal aldin al-Mahalli and his student Jalal aldin al-Suyuti.  It's a typical Sunni orthodox tafsir. Quality-wise it isn't too different from the commentaries of the standard tafsir writers of the medieval era like Tabari, Ibn Kathir and Qurtubi.  The only reason why it's more popular than those other tafsirs among the Hadithist Sunni group is because it's comparatively short, in a single volume, and said to be in simpler language.  However, all these tafsirs are strictly Hadith based or as they call it, based on "traditions."   Usually references are to so many different traditions that this particular aspect would itself make it both useless and difficult for a Quran alone follower to understand these tafsirs, including the Jalaleyn tafsir, because as Quran alone Muslims we don't dwell on traditions.  The only time we take them up is to expose their contradictions with the Quran and Prophet's character as defined in the Quran.   The Jalaleyn tafsir is supposed to explain the grammar of the Quran as well, but considering the fact that is has a very un-Quranic base (i.e. traditions), mere grammatical explanations of the Quran isn't enough if the quality of tafsirs make the Quran dependent on the Hadith.  As 'confessed' in the introduction of Feras Hamza's translation, the Jalaleyn tafsir contains many Biblical allusions.  That is expected as the Hadith itself is strongly connected with the altered Biblical narrations. 

I think all said and done, Maududi's tafsirs maybe be considered the safest under the circumstances for reference.  Even this is Hadith & Bible based to quite an extent and needs to be read with discernment, but preferable compared to the works of those medieval so-called scholars.  Therefore, as one reads it, one can keep comparing the substance of Maududi's tafsirs with the principles of the Quran, accept whatever is compatible with the Quran and toss away those which are not.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

muslima

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 09:17:23 am »

salamem

HOLY QUR'AN_AISHA BEWLEY_Tafsir Jalalain

http://archive.org/details/HolyQuran_aishaBewley_tafsirJalalain

U  are right  sis zeynab many websites fooling folks like this one i too don't know it's her translated Tafsir- jalalain or not.

No pdf document anywhere strange Undecided . I don't read her work , i don't trust her at all i read somewhere she is sufi  and  she translate ahadith's also  ,She has many works of ibn Arabi on her website If it's her website , so what else We Quran Alone Follower expect from her ?

http://bewley.virtualave.net/

some information about her !!

http://murabitblog.wordpress.com/2009/11/21/biography-aisha-bewley/

Biography: Aisha Bewley !

[Taken from Hajj Aisha Bewley's own website]

People keep asking me for biographical information. There is part of an interview done for the Islamic Society of Brooklyn College in 1998 which provides some information.

1.) Name: Aisha Abdurrahman Bewley

2.) Place of birth: USA

3.) Date of birth: 1948

4.) Were you born Muslim or did you convert? If so, when did you convert?

What most influenced you to convert? Converted, 1968. My family was a strong Christian one, but I eventually I felt that there was something missing in Christianity. That eventually led me to become involved in Zen Buddhism for a number of years, which was really a process of realising that dunya is not as real or permanent as it seems and of dismantling a structuralist approach to existence.

At the same time, I was reading a lot of philosophy, starting with Nietzsche and moving on to Schopenhauer, Kant, Hegel, and so forth, in an attempt to get a grasp on the significance of our existence. One thing that always stayed with me was the manner in which Nietzsche had alluded in a positive way to Islam while proceeding to demolish the edifice that passes for Christianity today. I think at one point he actually rails against Christianity for ‘robbing’ us of Islam. When I finally read some books on Islam, I immediately recognised that that was what I had been looking for.

5.) School of jurisprudence: Maliki (I presume.)

Inasmuch as it represents the school of early Madina.

6.) Sufi tariqa: (Is it perhaps the ‘Alawi branch of the Darqawi tariqa?)

The Habibiyya branch of the Shadhili Darqawi tariqa.

7.) Someone has said that practically all Malikis, with a few exceptions, are Ash’ari. Would you call yourself Ash’ari? If not, why not?

Yes.

8.) What is your educational background (in both worldly and Islamic sciences)?

9.) Who are your teachers in the Islamic sciences? What subjects did you study with them? Which texts did you read with them?

I have a BA in French and MA in Near Eastern Languages from the University of California, Berkeley. I spent a year with a fellowship at the American University in Cairo and at the same time attended a seminar on Sufism and Islamic philosophy at Dar al-’Ulum. As well as the teaching I received from Shaykh Abdalqadir al-Murabit, I also studied Ibn ‘Arabi with the late Sidi Fudul al-Hurawi in Fes, Morocco.

10.) A list of your published works (Please give title and author, with place and date of publication, and name of publisher.):

The Tawasin of Mansur al-Hallaj, Diwan Press, 1974; The Islamic Book of the Dead (Hadith on the Garden and the Fire), Diwan Press, 1977; The Meaning of Man by ‘Ali al-Jamal of Fez, Diwan Pess, 1977; Self-Knowledge (Commentaries on Sufic Songs), Diwan Press, 1978; The Darqawi Way (Rasa’il Mawlay al-’Arabi ad-Darqawi), Diwan Press, 1979; The Diwans of the Darqawa, Diwan Press, 1980; The Subatomic World in the Qur’an, Diwan Press, 1980; The Invocations of Shaykh al–’Alawi, Diwan Press, 1980;The Seals of Wisdom (Fusus al-Hikam) by Ibn al-’Arabi, Diwan Press, 1980; Signs on the Horizons: The Sun, the Moon, the Stars, Zahra Publications, 1981; Muwatta’ of Imam Malik (joint translation with Ya’qub Johnson), Diwan Press, 1982. New revised edition, Kegan Paul International, 1989; Muhammad Messenger of Allah (ash-Shifa’ of Qadi ‘Iyad), Madinah Press, 1991; Women of Madina, Vol. 8 of Tabaqat Ibn Sa’d, TaHa 1995; Handbook on Islam, Iman, Ihsan (a translation of Kitab Usul ad-Din and Kitab ‘Ulum al-Mu’amala by ‘Uthman dan Fodio), Diwan Press, 1980, Madinah Press, 1996;Defence Against Disaster, Qadi Abu Bakr ibn al-’Arabi, Madinah Press, 1996; Men of Madina, Vol. 7 of Tabaqat Ibn Sa’d, TaHa 1997; Glossary of Islamic Terms, TaHa, 1998.

(This doesn’t include books translated for other people. There is a whole list of books done for Dar al-Taqwa: Handbook on Islam, Iman, Ihsan (a translation of Kitab Usul ad-Din and Kitab ‘Ulum al-Mu’amala by ‘Uthman dan Fodio), Diwan Press, 1980, Madinah Press, 1996; The Soul’s Journey After Death, Ibn al-Qayyim, Dar at-Taqwa, 1987; The Jinn in the Qur’an and the Sunna, Mustafa Ashour, Dar at-Taqwa, 1989; Stories from Islamic History for Children, Abul-Hasan Ali Nadwi, UK Islamic Academy. 1992; Stories of the Prophets, Abul-Hasan Ali Nadwi, UK Islamic Academy, 1993; Muhammad, the Last Prophet, Abul-Hasan Ali Nadwi, UK Islamic Academy, 1993; Fate and Predestination, Muhammad al-Sha’rawi, Dar at-Taqwa, 1994; Good and Evil, Muhammad al-Sha’rawi, Dar at-Taqwa, 1994; The Interpretation of Dreams, Ibn Sirin, Dar at-Taqwa, 1994; How Allah Provides, Muhammad al-Sha’rawi, Dar at-Taqwa, 1994; Magic and Envy, Muhammad al-Sha’rawi, Dar at-Taqwa, 1994; The World of the Angels, ‘Abdu’l-Hamid Kishk, Dar at-Taqwa, 1994; The Laws of Marriage in Islam, Muhammad Rafit ‘Uthman, Dar at-Taqwa, 1994; Dealing with Lust and Greed, ‘Abdu’l-Hamid Kishk, Dar at-Taqwa, 1995;The Water of Zamzam, Dar at-Taqwa, 1996;Yajuj and Majuj, Dar at-Taqwa, 1997; The Mahdi, Dar at-Taqwa, 1997; The Day of Rising, Layla Mabruk, Dar at-Taqwa, 1997.)

11.) A list of your unpublished works (title and author):

New translation of the Noble Qur’an with my husband, Abdalhaqq Bewley ;Tafsir of Ibn Juzayy al-Kalbi (Kitab at-Tas-hil li’Ulum at-Tanzil); Tartib al-Madarik by Qadi ‘Iyad; Governance according to the Prophet (at-Taratib al-Idariyya) by ‘Abdu’l-Hayy al-Kattani; Bustan al-’Arifin by Imam an-Nawawi; Sihhat Usul Madhhab Ahli’l-Madina by Ibn Taymiyya; Risala of Ibn Abi Zayd al-Qayrawani (together with Yasin Dutton); The Science of Qur’an Recitation (‘Ilm tajrid al-Qur’an) by Shaykh Muhammad Hisham al-Burhani; The Chess Game of the Gnostics (****ranj al-’Arifin) by Muhammad ibn al-Hashim at-Tilmansani; Various Letters of Ibn al-’Arabi; Futuhat al-Makkiyya of Ibn ‘Arabi (All of volume 1 and part of 2 of the 4 volume edition); Dala’il al-Khayrat of al-Jazuli; The Hikam of Ibn ‘Ata’llah; The Crown of the Bride (Taj al-’Arus) by Ibn ‘Ata’llah; The Dropping of Management of Affairs (Isqat at-Tadbir) by Ibn ‘Ata’llah; The Book of the Ismu’l-Mufrad by Ibn ‘Ata’llah; The Defense of the Sunna by Muhammad b. Abi Madyan ash-Shinjiti.

(There are also some translations for various publishers, including a book on each of the four Imams by Abu Zahra; Adab al-Mufrad by Imam al-Bukhari; The Riyad as-Salihin of an-Nawawi; Sahih al-Bukhari (not completed); Tadhhib al-Akhlaq by ‘Abdu’l-Hayy Fakhru’d-din al-Hasani; Al-Fiqh al-Muyassir by Ahmad ‘Ashur; and Mukhtasar at-Targhib wa’t-Tarhib by Ibn Hajar.)

That should cover it. Other than the fact that I’m married to Hajj Abdalhaqq Bewley with whom I translate (he keeps my translations from turning into Arab-lish (usually). Three children, the oldest of whom is studying in Morocco having received a MA in Arabic from the University of Edinburgh.

Source: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/aBewley/interview.html
Report Spam   Logged

Lo! Allah hath bought from the believers their lives and their wealth because the Garden will be theirs: they shall fight in the way of Allah and shall slay and be slain. It is a promise which is binding on Him in the Torah and the Gospel and the Qur'an. Who fulfilleth His covenant better than Allah? Rejoice then in your bargain that ye have made, for that is the supreme triumph.9:111
Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 03:19:16 am »

As-salam Alaikum, and thank you sisters Zeynab and Muslima. 

A few days ago I happened to hear much about the Jalaleyn tafsir translation by Bewley in the circle of some of my friends & neighbors in a gathering, so I thought I'd enquire.  Though I didn't know so much about Aisha Bewley's life as detailed in Sister Muslima's post, I only knew that she's a traditionalist.  Yet, I thought maybe she's put aside her Hadither instincts and done some decent job with the tafsir translation.  But on learning the identity of the Jalaleyn as stated by Sister Zeynab, combined on Bewley's Hadith adhering background, I'd say not a damn chance for her works to be the type I would like.  Furthermore, I was talking to my husband and his cousin about it today.  They mentioned that the translation is also full of many typing & printing errors despite its high cost.  Agree with you sis .... every tafsir needs to be read with discernment, and Maududi's commentaries, though not perfect, is preferable to the works of those guys such as Tabari, Ibn Kathir, Suyuti and his teacher. 

Thanks again very much to both sisters.  Allah bless.

InshAllah, I'll save that PDF format you gave on the Jalaleyn translation by Feras Hamza and check it from time to time .. Sis Zeynab.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: