Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 03:02:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Islam and Cannabis.

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Islam and Cannabis.  (Read 1577 times)
MurtezaAFG

Badges: (View All)
« on: August 15, 2013, 12:34:42 pm »

As-salamu 'alaykum wa rah-matul lah brothers and sisters.

I come to you today with a rather controversial topic.

Cannabis has a very negative image in today's society; it's been said to be one of the worst drugs and is classified as a schedule I (1) narcotic (same level as heroin). It has been frowned upon by doctors, teachers and the government; many Muslims around the world seem to also look down on cannabis.
I have had members of my family describe it with such hate that when they talk about it, it's as though the words have a bitter/disgusting taste to them.

What does Islam have to say about cannabis?
If it was really has harmful as the governments/people describe it, wouldn't it be mentioned in the Quran by name as was Alcohol? Alcohol, gambling and such were mentioned by named in various parts of the Quran saying not to consume/partake in them and their harmful effects are evident.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 11:50:40 pm »

Walaikum As-salaam, brother.   Cannabis is basically the same stuff as marijuana or hashish.  It is definitely HARAM to consume.  There is NO question about that.  The very idea of something such as Cannabis is completely incompatible with Quranic principles.  Just because the word "cannabis" is not mentioned in the Quran does not mean it is permissible.  When the Noble Quran prohibits alcohol (referred to as "strong drinks"), it implies the prohibition of ALL intoxicants that have a similar psychoactive and physiological effect on the human system leading to an intoxicated mental state that would be called either "tipsy or high or plastered or drunken or stoned" etc., causing a state of euphoria, impaired senses, impaired memory, loss of proper judgment, loss of a sense of ethics, principles and sobriety.  Not to mention the very harmful long-term effects on human health which all intoxicants have including alcohol and cannabis.  Furthermore, since all such intoxicants are highly addictive and habit-forming, creating a constant desire for increased intake within the consumer, it is also totally HARAM to take any such intoxicants in small quantities.  This is precisely the dangerous path that leads to the total disaster of complete addiction in larger quantities in future.
Report Spam   Logged

MurtezaAFG

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 12:31:57 am »

Walaikum As-salaam, brother.   Cannabis is basically the same stuff as marijuana or hashish.  It is definitely HARAM to consume.  There is NO question about that.  The very idea of something such as Cannabis is completely incompatible with Quranic principles.  Just because the word "cannabis" is not mentioned in the Quran does not mean it is permissible.  When the Noble Quran prohibits alcohol (referred to as "strong drinks"), it implies the prohibition of ALL intoxicants that have a similar psychoactive and physiological effect on the human system leading to an intoxicated mental state that would be called either "tipsy or high or plastered or drunken or stoned" etc., causing a state of euphoria, impaired senses, impaired memory, loss of proper judgment, loss of a sense of ethics, principles and sobriety.  Not to mention the very harmful long-term effects on human health which all intoxicants have including alcohol and cannabis.  Furthermore, since all such intoxicants are highly addictive and habit-forming, creating a constant desire for increased intake within the consumer, it is also totally HARAM to take any such intoxicants in small quantities.  This is precisely the dangerous path that leads to the total disaster of complete addiction in larger quantities in future.

Yes, Cannabis and Marijuana can be used interchangeably, hashish is made from cannabis.

What kind of harmful long-term effects does cannabis have on human health?
Because when I look at cannabis compared to something totally haraam like alcohol or crack/heroin, the damaging effects seem to be little to none. It's impossible to overdose on marijuana by consuming it yourself; no one has ever died due to marijuana alone. It's even shown to have many health and industrial benefits.

And sister, did you know that one cannot become chemically dependent on cannabis like alcohol or tobacco (no withdrawals)?

Basically what I want to know is, why is cannabis haraam?
People seem to be so sure as to how terrible it is, but no one has ever told me why (with legitimate evidence).

Alcohol on the other hand is INSANELY harmful to man and mankind, and it's a wonder why it receives no negative attention except when it comes to driving.
Maybe because it's always tried to be put in a positive light.
Report Spam   Logged
Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 01:05:05 am »

Cannabis definitely boosts euphoria with a 'high' or 'stoned' feeling.  It's immediate negative side-effects are mood swings, increased heart beat, impaired short-term memory, difficulty in concentrating resulting in impaired professional work skills and impaired driving skills. The prime long-term negative effect is serious respiratory damage through smoking, as in the case of cigarette smoking, which hugely promotes the chances of lung, throat and mouth cancers.

There's no way we can ever 'yes' to something like cannabis. 
Report Spam   Logged

MurtezaAFG

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 11:27:36 am »

Cannabis definitely boosts euphoria with a 'high' or 'stoned' feeling.  It's immediate negative side-effects are mood swings, increased heart beat, impaired short-term memory, difficulty in concentrating resulting in impaired professional work skills and impaired driving skills. The prime long-term negative effect is serious respiratory damage through smoking, as in the case of cigarette smoking, which hugely promotes the chances of lung, throat and mouth cancers.

There's no way we can ever 'yes' to something like cannabis. 

As-salamu 'alaykum wa rah-matul lah sister Heba

For some, working out gives them that euphoric feeling, for others it's skydiving.
Sister, where are you getting all your information from?
Cannabis is not like cigarette smoke, although I can see why you would get that idea as they are rolled in a similar fashion and can be smoked in the same way. There are other methods of consuming cannabis that are not harmful due to the properties of smoke, but to say that cannabis smoke is as damaging as cigarette smoke is a gross exaggeration. They call cigarettes cancer sticks for a reason Tongue I use to smoke, and after only a few months (of light smoking) I was being slowed down so much, I couldn't even run long/short distances.

There is little to no evidence suggesting that cannabis causes lung, throat and mouth cancers, or any other cancer at that matter. There is actually more evidence suggesting cannabis can help with cancer.
They recommend that people don't drive angry, tired or sad as it impairs your driving abilities, does anyone listen? If people want to drive impaired (due to emotion, stress, or substance) they are going to, but cannabis does not impair your driving skills to the degree one would think (as does alcohol). One should always assess their condition before driving and cannabis does affect that ability to assess. This will give you an idea as to how much cannabis can affect your driving. Please note that even the driving instructor said that they were driving fine up until about halfway (when they were being given much larger amounts of cannabis).

I don't believe many people know/understand this plant. Society has been using it for ages.
Prior to the world wars, it was very commonly used the medical community; during the two world wars it was made legal again because of its vast industrial/commercial uses.

Looking at it all logically, I just do not see "the great harm" that this plant possesses.

I'm just looking at the fact of things.
Report Spam   Logged
MuslimanMahlon
Allah suffices

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 07:02:37 pm »

Salaam alaykum everyone (: Interesting, and necessary topic.

I have not labeled cannabis as haram, but wouldn't go as far to say it isn't... But I will tell you how I look at it, because I actually do smoke marijuana. It's lovely, what can I say! I live in California where it is legal and I've smoked some of the best marijuana not just in the states, but in the world...

Now the people I have heard that have the most problems with marijuana are those that have never tried it.  It gets you high is all you can really go off of, and comparing with the Qur'an, the only thing addressing this is abstaining from substances that change your mental state. I've done hard drugs, used to drink alcohol, but I still smoke. I don't do the other mess anymore, but I continue to enjoy my marijuana. Why? Because I am one of those who can delineate the affects of marijuana compared to other drugs. I can give you personal experience on why cocaine is considered haram, why alcohol is... But if we were to sit down discussing marijuana, I really couldn't give you an substantial evidence as to why it would be haram? One could tell me it changes your mental state, but I would object to that; rather, I would say it enhances your senses. One argument I've heard for weed is that it is natural, compared to cocaine or alcohol which primarily are natural, cocoa leaves and hops, or look at wine with ingredients of grapes, but cocaine and alcohol do rely on other ingredients, and must be synthesized. Mushrooms are natural too, but that is where it comes down to personal experience- I can tell you how the high is from weed and from mushrooms. Mushrooms do alter your mind, no doubt about that. Always felt marijuana has been under insurmountable stigma, which for as much as it does, and even doesn't do, just doesn't add up. I will leave it at that for now and wait for others to add in.

gdbi
Report Spam   Logged

“Truth always rests with the minority, and the minority is always stronger than the majority, because the minority is generally formed by those who really have an opinion, while the strength of a majority is illusory, formed by the gangs who have no opinion — and who, therefore, in the next instant (when it is evident that the minority is the stronger) assume its opinion… while truth again reverts to a new minority.”

Soren Kierkegaard (1813-1855)
muslima

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 05:25:03 pm »

wsalam
Brother MuslimanMahlon i dissagree with u here with ur statement u are  wrong bro

u said !
Now the people I have heard that have the most problems with marijuana are those that have never tried !!

@ Request With Respect !!  please don't promote bad habits anyway , Please don't encourage people to try such drugs.

Hmm Well I don't see really how it is beneficial to anyone ? Does anyone see necessity at all of any intoxicant?

Well I completely agree with sis ,zeynab and sis heba , First we cannot use our own intellect to figure what is halal or haram ,second Quran prohibits the use of any intoxicating substance in any form so we must see what does  Quran say

يَسْأَلُونَكَ عَنِ الْخَمْرِ وَالْمَيْسِرِ قُلْ فِيهِمَا إِثْمٌ كَبِيرٌ وَمَنَافِعُ لِلنَّاسِ وَإِثْمُهُمَا أَكْبَرُ مِن نَّفْعِهِمَا وَيَسْأَلُونَكَ مَاذَا يُنفِقُونَ قُلِ الْعَفْوَ كَذَٰلِكَ يُبَيِّنُ اللَّهُ لَكُمُ الْآيَاتِ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَفَكَّرُونَ

They question thee about strong drink /intoxicant and games of chance. Say: In both is great sin, and (some) utility for men; but the sin of them is greater than their usefulness. And they ask thee what they ought to spend. Say: that which is superfluous. Thus Allah maketh plain to you (His) revelations, that haply ye may reflect. 2:219

خمر   intoxicant

http://corpus.quran.com/search.jsp?t=1&q=خمر

The word "khamr" in the Quran means intoxicating ,believers are prohibit to use any intoxicants ,The word intoxicant, doesn't apply only to alcohol it means anything that poisons the body,this includes such intoxicants like cannabis, marijuana, heroin, cocaine, Hashish and alcohol, Or anything that affects the mind and it does so no  More evidence required for believers.  Intoxicants as root of evil Which leads to other evils all intoxicants are simlpy forbidden It says in the Quran that u shouldn't have intoxicants and drugs, Drugs  are clearly intoxicants Quranic ban is in regards to sinful,addicted nature of these drugs  which may leads u to addiction ,even sleeping pills or relaxing plant based drugs have hidden addiction and side effects  so No matter what it has done for u Quranic rules of our health can not be judge according to Science or logic nor kill (or destroy) yourselves 4:29 Consuming intoxicants is haram regardless of the way in which they are consumed.Accetp it or Not thats up to u . we just want u to at least aknowledge that it is haram but do not try to legitimate through logic Whatever forbidden in Quran please do not categorised drugs via logic or experience it does not change the basic status and bad nature of these drugs ,Drugs are harmful.

In Addition For believers as temporary use ! If u take any drugs for medical purposes u will be excused because it has a real reason and u are doing this to live and not take it for recreational perposes but believers should see the maximum as the alternatives are better , also medical purpose of any drug use to safe life would be considered premisable through doctor's prescription not self prescription ( because we must try not to spoil our account in any case) 

Please keep in mind all forbidden in Quran and are a test for mankind just like the apple was a test for Adam (As). Therefore when a person intoxicates themself without any resaon then imaan (faith) cannot stay in the body and so it goes out of the body meaning that when one is intoxicated then they are in a type of disbelief until they are sober that is if Allah wills. It would be easy if we try to understand the depth of Quranic rules instead of our logic .Drugs are Totally Haram. They ruin people’s lives physically, mentally, morally and spiritually  Allah commands the believers ‘not to kill or destroy yourselves’ nor ‘make your own hands contribute to your destruction in light of the clear guidance ALL INTOXICANT ARE HARAM WHETHER THEY SUITS U OR NOT .

And spend of your substance in the cause of Allah,and make not your own hands contribute to your destruction,but do good; for Allah loveth those who do good.2:195

Rest Allah  Alone knows best Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Lo! Allah hath bought from the believers their lives and their wealth because the Garden will be theirs: they shall fight in the way of Allah and shall slay and be slain. It is a promise which is binding on Him in the Torah and the Gospel and the Qur'an. Who fulfilleth His covenant better than Allah? Rejoice then in your bargain that ye have made, for that is the supreme triumph.9:111
Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 07:46:53 pm »

As-salam Alaikum to all, and with respect to everyone ..

@ Brother Murteza.  If there's no high feeling in cannabis, then why hanker after it at all?  Whatever 'nice' feeling anyone may derive from it, why not derive it from some other source which is confirmed as Halal such as going for a long refreshing walk, taking a warm shower, cooking a nice and healthy dish you would enjoy eating, spending time chatting with loved ones among family & friends etc.  Moreover, you asked where I get my information from.  You bet I get it from much more neutral sources than someone who may have developed an inclination toward controversial stuff.  If you already know so much about cannabis and you're that convinced of the infallibility of your 'knowledge,' then why ask us at all? 

It's no new thing for folks who nurture a weakness for something that's better to avoid to search reasons to justify or even support it.  But we perceive every aspect of life through an unbiased prism taken from the values of the Quran, which is not just a religion but a complete code of life.  Therefore we're here only to speak the truth regardless of how it may sound to a lot of people.

"As often as a messenger came unto them with that which their souls desired not (they became rebellious). Some (of them) they denied and some they slew." (5:70) Al-Maidah.   

This attitude as plainly described by Allah Almighty has been inherent of human nature in one way or another since the start of human history.  It still exists, unfortunately.

Be it cannabis, marijuana, alcohol, crystal meth etc. etc., anything that causes a  psychoactive & physiological condition within the human system resulting in artificially produced feelings of elation, ecstasy, stoned, high etc. is Haram, period.  There can be no further arguments on that for anyone who has read & understood the Quran and has a strong will-power to defeat personal desires with the help of the strength derived from Quranic values.

Anyone who is in the habit of taking such stuff and is unable to quit (for whatever reasons), must consider that to be a personal issue.  If they try to fight it with the help of Quranic information & inspiration, they will be helping their own souls. Otherwise, the matter is between Allah and them.  Muslim Villa is not a rehab nor a counseling center.  We're here only to say what we perceive as right or wrong with the Noble Quran as our Sole Criterion.  If someone is genuinely trying to turn their lives around and return to the path of the Quran seeking our suggestions, then we will certainly (InshAllah) advise to the best of our efforts.  But we're not here to give wrong advise that may sound 'sweet' to the ears of those who desire to pick a practice or maintain the status quo after picking a practice we plainly see as un-Quranic. 

We have nothing more to say on this topic.

Thank you very much for your helpful input, Sister Muslima
Report Spam   Logged

muslima

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 08:53:16 am »

My pleasure sis  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Lo! Allah hath bought from the believers their lives and their wealth because the Garden will be theirs: they shall fight in the way of Allah and shall slay and be slain. It is a promise which is binding on Him in the Torah and the Gospel and the Qur'an. Who fulfilleth His covenant better than Allah? Rejoice then in your bargain that ye have made, for that is the supreme triumph.9:111
N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 09:25:56 am »

Cannabis and marijuana surely come in the Haram category.  If some individual doesn't get high taking it doesn't mean it's risk free.  There are some people who also might not get totally drunk after consuming some amount of alcohol.  But that is no reason to think alcohol is safe.  With all such substances one never knows when and who might get swept away uncontrollably and then not even be in a condition to regret it.  After all, no one is born an addict.  It's these risky practices that carry them away.  How tragic, and how many lives it can destroy in addition to their own. 
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 02:08:43 am »

Brother Murteza, we don't want this discussion to go on any further.  I am deleting your last two posts and locking this topic.  As Sisters Heba and Muslima mentioned, we have said everything we needed to say in response to your query and our stance won't change.  If you already have all the details that please you, it doesn't make any sense to persistently keep talking about it.  No one is interested in those details here.  Our board is about the Quran, not drugs.  If you have a personal craving  for it, that's your personal issue.  Kindly don't bring it here to convince people that you're right.  I repeat, none of us are interested.  And do not please start this topic again as a gesture of respect to our wishes.  Thank you. 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: