Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 29, 2024, 04:41:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

(R.A) Radi Allahu Anhu is a Traditional use or it's a Quranic term ?

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: (R.A) Radi Allahu Anhu is a Traditional use or it's a Quranic term ?  (Read 28360 times)
muslima

Badges: (View All)
« on: August 27, 2013, 11:07:42 am »

BismEm

salamem

Brothers & sisters how are u doing guys ?

Last friday we were discussing the term ( R.A) Radhiallahu anhu the whole topic was Why do we use R.A  ? where from this term come ? why it is recommended to use after the name of companions ?  Does Quran recommend it to use  only after the name of righteous companions ?  how and why it become ritual to use R.A with every person (Non-companion) as well ? Also can we use R.A for livening believers ?  few were agree and few were not . I came across the great verses of Noble Quran and have found this phrase (R.A) in Quran so first we ll see how is Radhi Allah Anhum used in Noble Quran .

Radhiallahu 'anhu ( رضي الله عنه‎) is well known as an Arabic phrase meaning, "May God Allah Be Pleased With Him." This phrase is usually uttered after a  companion's name there are grammatical variations used after the names of female companions or when more than one person is mentioned at the same time.

The term ‘Radhi Allah Anhu’  has three main forms

Radhi Allah AnHU  (to a male)

Radhi Allah AnHA (to a female)

OR more than one person, it is Radhiallahu 'anhum.   رَّضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُمْ

Radhi Allah AnHUM (To them)  The only term used in the Quran.

Phrase Radhi Allah Anhu has two meanings One in the mode of giving news and the other in the form of supplication translation of using this phrase in the first form would be (Allah is pleased with him/her)  and in the second (may Allah be pleased with him/her)

1: May Allah be pleased with him/her/them (When used in prayer) .This is used in common Arabic

2: Allah is pleased with him/her/them (when used in news) - This form is found in the Quran.

When this phrase  is used for the blessed  RIGHTEOUS Companions (Allah be well pleased with them ) it can be used in both forms. As such, one may say regarding a Companion,Allah is pleased with him/her or may Allah be pleased with him/her 

Allah was well pleased with the believers when they swore allegiance unto thee beneath the tree, and He knew what was in their hearts, and He sent down peace of reassurance on them, and hath rewarded them with a near victory 48:18

Allah Himself attested that He has become pleased with the righteous Companions of the Messenger of Allah and they (companions) are pleased with Allah

( Allah knows best but 60:12 is referred to include prophet's wives and believing women to use (R.A) after the names of female companions  )

O Prophet! If believing women come unto thee, taking oath of allegiance unto thee that they will ascribe no thing as partner unto Allah, and will neither steal nor commit adultery nor kill their children, nor produce any lie that they have devised between their hands and feet, nor disobey thee in what is right, then accept their allegiance and ask Allah to forgive them. Lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful 60:12

Other references are also present in 9:100 such as those who left their homes for the sake of Allah and of those that aided them (Muhajirs and Ansars) with whom ALLAH is pleased with.

وَالسَّابِقُونَ الْأَوَّلُونَ مِنَ الْمُهَاجِرِينَ وَالْأَنصَارِ وَالَّذِينَ اتَّبَعُوهُم بِإِحْسَانٍ رَّضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُمْ وَرَضُوا عَنْهُ وَأَعَدَّ لَهُمْ جَنَّاتٍ تَجْرِي تَحْتَهَا الْأَنْهَارُ خَالِدِينَ فِيهَا أَبَدًا ذَٰلِكَ الْفَوْزُ الْعَظِيمُ

Waalssabiqoona al-awwaloona mina almuhajireena waal-ansari waallatheena ittabaAAoohum bi-ihsanin radiya Allahu AAanhum waradoo AAanhu waaAAadda lahum jannatin tajree tahtaha al-anharu khalideena feeha abadan thalika alfawzu alAAatheemu

And the first to lead the way, of the Muhajirin and the Ansar, and those who followed them in goodness - Allah is well pleased with them and they are well pleased with Him, and He hath made ready for them Gardens underneath which rivers flow, wherein they will abide for ever. That is the supreme triumph.9:100

radiya Allahu AAanhum  (R.A) رَّضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُمْ   As News for believers

(And) lo! those who believe and do good works are the best of created beings 98: 7

Surat Al-Bayyinah (The Clear Proof) -98:8

جَزَاؤُهُمْ عِندَ رَبِّهِمْ جَنَّاتُ عَدْنٍ تَجْرِي مِن تَحْتِهَا الْأَنْهَارُ خَالِدِينَ فِيهَا أَبَدًا رَّضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُمْ وَرَضُوا عَنْهُ ذَٰلِكَ لِمَنْ خَشِيَ رَبَّهُ

Jazaohum AAinda rabbihim jannatu AAadnin tajree min tahtiha al-anharu khalideena feeha abadan radiya Allahu AAanhum waradoo AAanhu thalika liman khashiya rabbahu

Their reward is with their Lord: Gardens of Eden underneath which rivers flow, wherein they dwell for ever. Allah hath pleasure in them and they have pleasure in Him.(Allah is well pleased with them and they are well pleased with Him) This is (in store) for him who feareth his Lord.

Surat Al-Mujādila (The Pleading Woman) 58:22

لَّا تَجِدُ قَوْمًا يُؤْمِنُونَ بِاللَّهِ وَالْيَوْمِ الْآخِرِ يُوَادُّونَ مَنْ حَادَّ اللَّهَ وَرَسُولَهُ وَلَوْ كَانُوا آبَاءَهُمْ أَوْ أَبْنَاءَهُمْ أَوْ إِخْوَانَهُمْ أَوْ عَشِيرَتَهُمْ أُولَٰئِكَ كَتَبَ فِي قُلُوبِهِمُ الْإِيمَانَ وَأَيَّدَهُم بِرُوحٍ مِّنْهُ وَيُدْخِلُهُمْ جَنَّاتٍ تَجْرِي مِن تَحْتِهَا الْأَنْهَارُ خَالِدِينَ فِيهَا رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُمْ وَرَضُوا عَنْهُ أُولَٰئِكَ حِزْبُ اللَّهِ أَلَا إِنَّ حِزْبَ اللَّهِ هُمُ الْمُفْلِحُونَ

La tajidu qawman yu/minoona biAllahi waalyawmi al-akhiri yuwaddoona man hadda Allaha warasoolahu walaw kanoo abaahum aw abnaahum aw ikhwanahum aw AAasheeratahum ola-ika kataba fee quloobihimu al-eemana waayyadahum biroohin minhu wayudkhiluhum jannatin tajree min tahtiha al-anharu khalideena feeha radiya Allahu AAanhum waradoo AAanhu ola-ika hizbu Allahi ala inna hizba Allahi humu almuflihoona

Thou wilt not find folk who believe in Allah and the Last Day loving those who oppose Allah and His messenger, even though they be their fathers or their sons or their brethren or their clan. As for such, He hath written faith upon their hearts and hath strengthened them with a Spirit from Him, and He will bring them into Gardens underneath which rivers flow, wherein they will abide. Allah is well pleased with them, and they are well pleased with Him. They are Allah's party. Lo! is it not Allah's party who are the successful?58:22

Surat Al-Mā'idah (The Table Spread) 5:119

قَالَ اللَّهُ هَٰذَا يَوْمُ يَنفَعُ الصَّادِقِينَ صِدْقُهُمْ لَهُمْ جَنَّاتٌ تَجْرِي مِن تَحْتِهَا الْأَنْهَارُ خَالِدِينَ فِيهَا أَبَدًا رَّضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُمْ وَرَضُوا عَنْهُ ذَٰلِكَ الْفَوْزُ الْعَظِيمُ

Allah saith: This is a day in which their truthfulness profiteth the truthful, for theirs are Gardens underneath which rivers flow, wherein they are secure for ever, Allah taking pleasure in them and they in Him. That is the great triumph. 5:119

The term used above clearly confirms the notion that  Allah is pleased with them (obedient ,sincere believers) once they have entered the garden on the Day of Judgment

@ The rest of This knowledge is only with Allah and remains an expression only He can use in this context.

Q: Now here my question is can we use this term for a living person ?  during the discussion I have heard from few arabic speaking people that they say to one another as dua and I like it .

Radhi Allah Anka -    رضي الله أنك

it means !  May Allah be pleased with you.

In the above and many other verses of Noble Quran Allah promises His pleasure for the faithful and righteous Believers as He has promised many other things, such as entering paradise, immunity from punishment in Hell, salvation etc. So as it is permitted to make Dua for a believer that he/she enters heaven, has salvation in the hereafter etc, it will be permitted to make Dua for him/her to obtain the pleasure of Allah  ?  because it is a common understanding that the term Radhi Allah Anhu(R.A) can only be used for the Companions but i too think there is nothing wrong in saying may Allah be pleased with you.رضي الله أنك Radi Allah Anka One may can use this term for a living person  in a sense that one is supplicating to Allah and seeking His pleasure for a fellow muslims  brother or sister. ? Or is this term is exclusively for the RIGHTEOUS Companions (sahaba)  ?

Q: In the light of Quran verse ! Say: 'Verily, those who invent a lie against Allah will never be successful . 10:69   Now am also wondering how could hadithest guys use R.A with the entire bunch of folks so called sahaba and rest of their students ?  Undecided those who fabricate lies against Him (Allah Almighty ) and beloved prophet Muhammad(pbuh) ? Frankly speaking for me Only Four Rightly guided companions were true companion of prophet Muhammad (pbuh) not everyone .Is Allah is well pleased or will be pleased with them ? because as we can see it is just not a ritual rather this phrase is a news and could be dua as well which is Quranic term.

What u guys say  people should be made aware that is it wrong or there is nothing wrong to use this phrase for living Muslims / believers as well please give me ur feedback  & correct me if am wrong i will be very grateful. 

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Lo! Allah hath bought from the believers their lives and their wealth because the Garden will be theirs: they shall fight in the way of Allah and shall slay and be slain. It is a promise which is binding on Him in the Torah and the Gospel and the Qur'an. Who fulfilleth His covenant better than Allah? Rejoice then in your bargain that ye have made, for that is the supreme triumph.9:111

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 02:49:32 am »

Walaikum As-salaam dear sis Smiley    Very interesting write up.  InshAllah, I'll return tomorrow and read again, as it's a bit late now.  I have been so busy last few days monitoring the upcoming attack by the kuffar in Syria for Facebook updates .. which is bound to cause terrible destruction & death. My heart feels broken just thinking of it. 

I will surely InshAllah put up my comments tomorrow on this brilliant post.  Take care sister Smiley 
Report Spam   Logged

muslima

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 07:55:22 am »

I have been so busy last few days monitoring the upcoming attack by the kuffar in Syria for Facebook updates .. which is bound to cause terrible destruction & death. My heart feels broken just thinking of it. 

yes sis that's so scary how tragic they are going to find evidences of their own crimes  Angry  Why the F* US the Slut of israel are showing their freak sympathy ? the activators of human right & peace loving nation, can't they mind their own business and let other people work their own problems out ? obama is bush’s clone ,bloody jerk he is following the same failed policy of bush like in Iraq, just recall the events that happened 10 years ago about Iraqis having weapons of mass destruction , now the same episode of  F* UN is about to begin ? excuse me am losing my patience the horrific results of this upcoming destruction and the massive killing of innocent civilians womens and childrens in syria makes me blast am feeling so depressed and sick by these kuffar and their hypocrisy US should not to repeat past mistakes,Syria is not Iraq ,war in Iraq cost US a lot of money it will cost them double . Ya Allah protect the innocent people of Syria Sad

yeah sis U too take care of urself . Ok sis m looking forward for Ur feedback  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Lo! Allah hath bought from the believers their lives and their wealth because the Garden will be theirs: they shall fight in the way of Allah and shall slay and be slain. It is a promise which is binding on Him in the Torah and the Gospel and the Qur'an. Who fulfilleth His covenant better than Allah? Rejoice then in your bargain that ye have made, for that is the supreme triumph.9:111
Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 03:12:30 am »

Walaikum Salam dear Sister Muslima  Cheesy   Here I am, I've arrived before Sister Zeynab  Grin

Yes, the Syrian issue is at a precarious stage ..  And now, if America & its allies carry out this obnoxious bombing, the entire country will turn into a death zone!

Okay .... coming to the topic of your article, I liked it very much.  Thank you.

I've observed both sunnis and shiias use this 'RA'  after the names of the ones they idealize .... ahl-e-bayt, companions, non-companions, etc.

Yes, I would think it can also be said to a living person (in the present tense, as you stated), someone whom you consider righteous.  The Noble Quran in V.9:100 does use it in the present tense for the living, not the deceased.

In fact, in our daily lives, we do often use similar expressions for each other .. while talking to the loved ones of our immediate and extended families and to close friends.  Expressions like, "may Allah reward you, may Allah be happy with you, may Allah bless you, may Allah grant you peace" etc. etc.  There are many such expressions, in different words, but having the common aspect of  Allah's pleasure with His believing slaves who have (or had, in the case of those passed away) a good conduct.  Very often such expressions are used for common people, who might have made mistakes in life but they are believers nonetheless.

I'm sure that the only essential precondition for 'RA' is that the person must be a believer.   We certainly cannot tell a kafir "may Allah be pleased with you."   We can tell disbelievers "may Allah guide you or may Allah guide him/her."  This can only be said to a disbeliever who is alive.  If a person dies in a state of disbelief, he or she is indeed very unfortunate and as per Quranic information, they will not be entitled to forgiveness on the Day of Judgement.   So, obviously we cannot tell them 'RA.'

You're absolutely right sis.  We can say "may Allah be pleased with them" for the 4 righteous caliphs who succeeded the Prophet (pbuh) and were people of great character.   But not for madmen like Abu Huraira, Abu Darda, Anas bin Malik etc.  These were clear cheats.  I never even think of writing "RA" for them. 

Verse 60:12, in my opinion, refers to Allah's forgiveness to believing women who embrace belief after accepting the Quran.   Of course, it contains the connotation of Allah being pleased with them because embracing faith always pleases Allah very much.  But to my understanding, I think this Verse refers to seeking forgiveness for past sins after embracing faith or after becoming Muslim (submitter to Allah alone). 

On Verse 58:22  ....

"Allah is well pleased with them, and they are well pleased with Him. They are Allah's party. Lo! is it not Allah's party who are the successful?"  (58:22)

"Allah's party" = Hezb-e-Allah ( حزب الله ).  This is another very beautiful expression.  Alhumdulilah.

Thanks for the great work, Sister Muslima .... a very thought provoking & educative piece.  Allah bless.
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 05:07:08 pm »

A useful article with comprehensive and befitting comments.  Thanks sisters.  I don't have anything more to add. 

Btw, is the Arabic word "Radi" same as the urdu word "razi," which in urdu means willing or willingness?   The Arabic reference of the word "Radi" seems to be similar to the Urdu one, implying someone who have acquired the acceptance, approval or compliance of Allah on the basis of their strong faith and good deeds.  However, in Urdu the word "razi" is used more widely often referring to willingness or consent on issues of daily life.
Report Spam   Logged

muslima

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 05:08:29 pm »

May Allah make this hard time easy for Syrian brother and sisters Ameen. yes sis our dua's are with all brother's and sister's and innocent childrens those who brutally tortured and murdered in Syria & those who suffering in all parts of the world.

Alhamdulillah.   Smiley

Dear sister heba i am glad to hear from U, thanks for appreciation Ur feedback give me boost  Grin  Opinion from each of U is very valuable for me ,am very fortunate all MV experts always helped me to learn in better way.Jazak Allah sis Verse 60:12 is clear to me i was confused , also thanks for very important and point i agree correct one must not write R.A with disbelievers name living or dead ,U are right we can't say this to disbelievers.

Thank u very much for ur time sis heba Allah bless u too  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

muslima

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 05:29:41 pm »

Btw, is the Arabic word "Radi" same as the urdu word "razi," which in urdu means willing or willingness?   The Arabic reference of the word "Radi" seems to be similar to the Urdu one, implying someone who have acquired the acceptance, approval or compliance of Allah on the basis of their strong faith and good deeds.  However, in Urdu the word "razi" is used more widely often referring to willingness or consent on issues of daily life.

Yes sis zeynab arabic word Radi and urdu word razi have same meaning , u are right  razi mean will or willingness. رضامندی  ,razamandi

Like 'Allah un se khush aur Razi / radi , رضي /. pleased .
Report Spam   Logged

Ozcan

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 08:24:37 am »

Salaam everyone

Radi-Allahu 'anh, Rahmatullahi Alayh, Rahimullah, Maulana, Hazrat etc. are all empty and meaningless words of praise they like to use for the enemies of Islam, such as Bukhari, Shafii, Gazali, Malik and the rest of the ahle sunna and shia 'ulema'. If you hear any of these words after a certain name, it means that those people are sort of semi-Gods who are above any criticism and are infallible. So we must always bow before these all-knowing people and accept everything they ever said and did. Or else we will become a kafir  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 09:00:12 am »

Wa'salaam.  I understand your point brother Ozcan and agree 100%.   With all the bid'ah introduced in Islam, these courtesy titles of respect are generally used for the ones who least deserve them. 

Actually we were discussing just the literal meaning of the expression "Radi Allahu Anhu" and the context in which it's used in the Quran. 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: