Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 02:15:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Why it is so?

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Why it is so?  (Read 588 times)
abbottonian

Badges: (View All)
« on: October 01, 2013, 06:22:34 pm »

Assalam Alaikum
Brothers and Sisters,
If the food of Jews and Christians (People of the book) is allowed why the shaking hands with them is unlawful (Haram)? Is it not showing disrespect to to the person who offers his or her hand for a shake? Please elaborate.
Surat Al-Mā'idah 5:5
Pickthall
This day are (all) good things made lawful for you. The food of those who have received the Scripture is lawful for you, and your food is lawful for them. And so are the virtuous women of the believers and the virtuous women of those who received the Scripture before you (lawful for you) when ye give them their marriage portions and live with them in honour, not in fornication, nor taking them as secret concubines. Whoso denieth the faith, his work is vain and he will be among the losers in the Hereafter
Thank you.
Asif Raza
Report Spam   Logged

Asif Raza:- No tool is more beneficial than knowledge and no weapon is more dangerous than ignorance.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 06:02:52 am »

Walaikum As-Salam brother Abbottonian.  Concerning food of the People of the Book (Jews and Christians) as at present, not every eatable is Halal for us.  You may like to check this topic which has been briefly but comprehensively discussed in our post Is food of the People of the Book lawful for Muslims?

Furthermore, I don't know of any law that says shaking hands with People of the Book is unlawful.  Kindly elaborate on that for our information.  As far a I know, the collective traditional fatwa disallows shaking hands with the opposite gender. 
Report Spam   Logged

abbottonian

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 10:26:30 pm »

Thanks you very much for redirecting me to the post which to me suggests that certain commandments were either cancelled or replaced by a similar or better commandment. Quraan at places verifies the old scriptures and at places mentions about the manipulations of those scriptures.This to me also suggests that certain orders were only valid for the period of Muhammad's (SAW) prophethood and are not valid today.Am I right to think that the verse in which Allah commands Prophet Muhammad(SAW) to tell his wives and believing women to wear veils so that they are not teased and harmed by non believers,was for that time only?And since we are living in a Muslim majority country,why should women wear veils because there are no non believers around to tease them or harm them as such?
Regarding shaking hands with opposite sex,Quraan does not forbid us from doing so then why should we consider a collective traditional fatwa valid?
I have lived about 35 years in Arab country and where ever I went and met woman they would always extend their hands for a shake.
I am a bit confused.
Report Spam   Logged

Asif Raza:- No tool is more beneficial than knowledge and no weapon is more dangerous than ignorance.
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 04:29:00 am »

From our studies and reflections based on Quranic contents, we do not agree with the view that certain commandments were cancelled or abrogated within the Quran.  There is no evidence of that.  Abrogation of commandments imply changes of a few specific Divine instructions from Scripture to Scripture, not within the Quran itself.  In this regard, I'll refer you to another post of ours which explains the aspect of abrogation as follows.

On 'Abrogation' of Quranic Verses

Yes, one can assume that certain precepts which were applicable in the 7th century society can be overlooked now such as wearing a full veil while travelling abroad.  However, we need to be careful of the extent to which we relax rules.  For instance, if one is living in a modern town or city, it's okay not to wear the veil but dressing modestly will still be important which means no revealing or cheap clothing that attracts negative attention and promotes indecency. Not just women, but men must also be careful of it.  Furthermore it's not just non-believers who might pass cheap glances at believing women, but many men who call themselves "Muslims" and are officially recognized as believers can also be capable of indulging in similar indecencies. 

Concerning shaking of hands with opposite gender, I think it's a matter of one's intent or niyyat.  If the intent is clean, there's nothing wrong with men and women shaking hands at a social or professional level.  However, if some freak sicko extends an offer of handshake with the intention of a physical contact, such a person (whether man or woman) would indeed be considered a sinner.  I think the fatwa is a preventive measure to abolish or minimize such risks.  However, like I said, generally speaking, according to the modern culture there's nothing wrong with it provided the intention of both parties is straight.
Report Spam   Logged

abbottonian

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 06:40:25 pm »

Jazakum Allah Khaira
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: