Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 28, 2024, 03:08:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Jum'ah prayer

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Jum'ah prayer  (Read 1259 times)
N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

Badges: (View All)
« on: November 08, 2013, 12:21:06 pm »

BismEm

As-Salam Alaykum everyone and Jum'ah mubarak.  Today being Jum'ah, it so happened I was also reading Surah Al-Jumu'ah, Chapter 62, of the Noble Quran along with my little nieces and nephews.  The kids were asking quite a few questions;  though simple questions, I'm sure most imams wouldn't be able to answer them correctly because they have a knack for taking answers from the Hadith instead of being focused on the Quran.

First let me quote the information contained in the Quran concerning Jum'ah prayers.

"O ye who believe! When the call is heard for the prayer of the day of congregation, haste unto remembrance of Allah and leave your trading. That is better for you if ye did but know.
And when the prayer is ended, then disperse in the land and seek of Allah's bounty, and remember Allah much, that ye may be successful.
But when they spy some merchandise or pastime they break away to it and leave thee standing. Say: That which Allah hath is better than pastime and than merchandise, and Allah is the Best of providers."  (62:9,10 and11).

The first question was:  "So this means Jum'ah prayer is a Quranic commandment?"  The answer is yes, it is a Quranic commandment.

The second question was:  "What is the purpose of going to the masjid for afternoon prayer only on Jum'ah?"  Answer:  As we can see the purpose is not categorically defined in the Quran, but it is obvious and probably for that reason it's not defined.  The purpose is apparently both prayer plus get-together with the brothers and sisters of your community or neighborhood.  Since the Quran lays great emphasis upon unity within the Muslim society, therefore congregating once a week for prayers will provide an opportunity to meet our friends and neighbors.   

Third question:  "Is Jum'ah prayers only for men?"  Answer:  The Quran does not mention it's only for men, so we cannot presume that.  Both men and women are supposed to go for Jum'ah prayers at the masjid.  However, those women who are alone and feel awkward going to offer Jum'ah without anyone accompanying them, may stay home and offer the regular Zohr prayer.  Allah does not pressure anyone with compulsions which they cannot handle.

Fourth question:  "Is the day for the congregational prayer (Jum'ah) required to be a holiday?"  Answer:  No, not necessarily a holiday.  Verses 62:9-10 reveal that it may not be a holiday.  Allah says that when you hear the adhan for congregational prayer, "leave your trading" and go to attend it.  Then Allah also says that after the congregational prayer is over, "then disperse in the land and seek of Allah's bounty."   These words clearly indicate that the day for congregational prayer doesn't have to be a holiday.  However, if certain societies want to make it a holiday for the purpose of convenience, then I don't see that to be against any Quranic rules either. 

Fifth question:  "Can Jum'ah prayer be offered at home?"   Answer:  No folks, it cannot be offered at home because the purpose of Jum'ah prayer is to congregate with others and that cannot be done at home.  If for some compelling reason you cannot go to the masjid for Jum'ah prayer, InshAllah, Allah will forgive you as He is very, very Merciful and Understanding.  In that case, if you offer your afternoon prayer at home, it will be taken as the regular Zohr prayer.  Jum'ah prayers can only be offered at home if you have turned a portion of your home into a masjid or an area for congregational prayer where everyone from the neighborhood collects on that day to offer Jum'ah.

Sixth question:  This is an interesting one, and also an intelligent one.  "Was the day really Jum'ah?"  For a quick answer, one might say, yes the day was Jum'ah and that's why the Surah is called Al-Jumu'ah.  But if you think more carefully, the Surah obviously has not been named Al-Jumu'ah after the name of the day.  "Al-Jumu'ah" means congregation or getting together.  Therefore quite evidently, as time passed by, it was the day when they congregated for afternoon prayer in Medinah was given the name "Jum'ah" in connection with the practice of congregating and not the other way round.  Before the advent of Islam, the idolaters had no such custom of congregating for their type of prayers on any specific day.  Therefore definitely there was no such thing as "Jum'ah" prior to Islam.  The names given to the 7 days of the week in the days of jahiliya were as follows.  I got this from a history forum.

أوّل  (awwal)
أَهُوَن أو أَوْهَد (ahuwan or awhad)
جُبَار (jubaar)
دُبَار (dubaar)
مُؤْنِس  (mu'nis)
عروبة  (aroobah)
شِيَار (sheeyar)   

I know the meaning only of the first day - "awwal" which means first.  I have no idea what the other names mean.

This was the question & answer session we had with the kids at home.   Hope all of your find it informative too.

May Allah Almighty bless and guide all of us, ameen.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 08:00:07 am »

Walaikum As-Salaam.  Mash'Allah, it was a pleasure reading this, brother.  Very nicely written and explained.  Your nieces and nephews must be very intelligent kids to be asking such thoughtful questions.  Alhumdulilah. 

The former pre-Islamic names of the 7 days of the week was new information for me.  I never knew this.  It's clearly an evidence that name Jum'ah was given to that day because of the Jum'ah or congregation prayer.  All praise be to Allah for His guidance.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 08:58:16 am »

JazekAllah khair.  Many thanks brother.  Great education for all of us.  So many folks offer Jum'ah but hardly know its precise significance. 

Hugs from me to your lil nieces and nephews!
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 07:25:29 pm »

How many rakats in Jum'aa salat?

This query was put to my husband and me by a hardworking brother returning to Islam (Alhumdulilah) after living many years with his secular family.  And as you know, Jum'aa is always offered in congregation, the word "Jum'aa" means congregation. 

In case other new Muslims would also like to get more details on this topic, the fard or obligatory rakats in Jum'aa are two.  First the sermon by the imam, then 2 fard rakats.  This is often followed by the standard pattern of Dohr salat, that is, 4 sunnah rakats (or call it nafl if you wish), followed by another 4 sunnah rakats and finally followed by another 2 sunnah rakats.  The only difference is that in regular Dohr prayer, it's 4 sunnah (or nafl), then 4 fard and then 2 sunnah (or nafl).  In regard to Jum'aa prayer, you can also offer the sunnah or nafl rakats after returning home, though many a times the imam offers the sunnah rakats also in the masjid.  I think the purpose of praying 10 sunnah or nafl rakats after the 2 fard Jum'aa rakats is not to miss out on that many extra rakats of prayers even if they are optional.   But for Jum'aa the 2 fard rakats must be in the masjid with congregation.  It should be noted that if you cannot go to the masjid to offer Jum'aa with congregation and instead offer your prayer at home, it will be taken as regular Dohr salat, not Jum'aa. 

There are conflicting views on the number of non-fard rakats (Sunnah / nafl) for Jum'aa which arise from conflicting ahadith and varying opinions of different Sunni and Shiia sub-sects (madhabs).   Please ignore the complicated differences. 

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 10:34:07 pm »

Thank you Sister Heba. 

Nowadays because of the pandemic Jum'ah in most masjids consists of only khutba followed by 2 fard rakats.

For Jum'aa, Shiia Muslims have 2 khutbas and 2 rakats.   Usually there are no non-obligatory rakats offered as far as I know.  And usually the preferred Surahs recited in those 2 obligatory rakats are Surah 62 (Al-Jumu'ah consisting of 11 Ayats), Surah 63 (Al-Munafiqun consisting of 11 ayats) and Surah 87 (Al-Alaa consisting of 19 shorter Verses).  Might be there are other variations too making matters complicated as jurist circles always do, but those are non-obligatory and can be ignored.

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 10:44:48 pm »

JazekAllah Khair, sister and brother.    Well yes, now because of the pandemic we offer Zohr at home ... what else to do?   Masjids have started Jum'aa but the procedure with registration for each Jum'aa is a bit complicated, not easy like before, and I realize those procedures are essential as well.  So we pray Zohr on Jum'aa. 

But at normal times (and InshAllah normal times will return soon, ameen) the masjid we visited close to our neighborhood had khutba and 2 fard rakats in congregation.  Though I did see some brothers and sisters praying non-obligatory rakats on their own in the masjid after Jum'aa.  But offering nafls after returning home is a very good idea as Sister Heba mentioned. 

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 10:49:27 pm »

Well yes, as we know, Jum'aa is fard and it's standard obligatory method is Khutba and 2 rakats.  The rest are all traditional choices.

On another note, the other a relative of ours was saying Verse 50:41 refers to the Jum'aa adhan.   I never knew that.  Can anyone give their opinion please.   I thought this Verse refers to the Day of Judgment.

"And listen on the day when the crier cries from a near place,"  50:41.

Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 10:58:10 pm »

On another note, the other a relative of ours was saying Verse 50:41 refers to the Jum'aa adhan.   I never knew that.  Can anyone give their opinion please.   I thought this Verse refers to the Day of Judgment.

"And listen on the day when the crier cries from a near place,"  50:41.

You're absolutely right brother.  Your relative is wrong who obviously didn't read the Verses that follow.   The reference is for sure to the Day of Judgment, not the day of Jum'aa. 

Let me quote the entire passage from Verses 41 to 45 for Surah Qaf (Chapter 50)

41. And listen on the day when the crier cries from a near place,

42. The day when they will hear the (Awful) Cry in truth. That is the day of coming forth (from the graves).

43. Indeed! We it is Who quicken and give death, and unto Us is the journeying.

44. On the day when the earth splits asunder from them, hastening forth (they come). That is a gathering easy for Us (to make).

45. We are Best Aware of what they say, and thou (O Muhammad) art in no wise a compeller over them. But warn by the Qur'an him who feareth My threat.

(50:41-45)

Very simple to follow and self-explanatory, SubhanAllah.

Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 11:02:26 pm »

Thank you Sister Zeynab.  It's very clear, Alhumdulilah.  Actually he said it this afternoon and I didn't get the time to look up the following Verses.   Thanks again for the help, Sister.
Report Spam   Logged

Zainab_M
TEAM MV Founder
Admin

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 11:04:29 pm »

You're welcomed brother TS.    Allah bless and guide us all, ameen.
Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 11:06:51 pm »

Btw, I hear some traditionalists that Jum'aa is binding only on Muslim men, not women.   Your opinion please.
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2020, 11:38:41 pm »

Well, as we know, the Noble Quran does confirm that Jum'aa is obligatory for all Muslims.  We assume this means men and women.  The fact here is that Jum'aa salat requires we step out of our homes.   As we also know, especially in regard to women, the Quran is very considerate and inclined to making rules flexible.  Allah has NOT placed any difficulties on our way to practice our Faith.  "He has chosen you and has not laid upon you in religion any hardship;"  22:78.    While in the Prophet's (pbuh) time, women did frequently attend the masjid during Jum'aa and other times too probably because it was easier as Medina was a much smaller town those days and almost every destination was walking distance.   Things have changed now, not just in Medina but everywhere in the world.  Distances are huge and families are split up.  Under the circumstances it may not always be easy for women to attend the masjid as there maybe times when there's no one around to take them there.  Many women are not used to going out on their own.  There could be various other reasons that may make it infeasible for the women of a household to leave their homes on a particular day or time which may also include Jum'aa.  In such cases, according to the jurists themselves, women can offer 4 rakats of Dohr at home.   Not to worry.  Allah Almighty understands our problems better than we do ourselves.  As long as our heart is full of devotion for Him and our niyah is sincere, it's fine InshAllah.  We can simply offer 4 rakats at home during Dohr time. 

However, whenever possible, women should also go to the masjid for Jum'aa.   

Report Spam   Logged

Ruhi_Rose

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2020, 11:51:55 pm »

I concur start to finish.  These were pretty much my opinion too.  Just wanted to know to what extent it tallies with others.
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2020, 11:56:56 pm »

Jurists say Jum'aa salat is obligatory for those Muslim men who are:
-  Mentally in sound health
-  Physically in sound health
-  Those who are free (not slaves, alluding to earlier times)
-  Those who are above 12 years of age
-  And those who are present during Jum'aa in the neighborhood where they reside

Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2020, 12:02:29 am »

Of course, these would be taken for granted. 

I was impressed though to read the 5th point you mentioned which makes a lot of sense and most Muslims tend to overlook that.  The purpose of Jum'aa is basically to stay connected with other Muslims in your area.  Dropping by randomly and offering Jum'aa in a masjid which is 25 miles away from your home does not serve the actual purpose of Jum'aa too well, as I see it. 

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: