Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 19, 2024, 02:58:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Question concerning the sajdah -e-tilawat ?

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Question concerning the sajdah -e-tilawat ?  (Read 6135 times)
muslima

Badges: (View All)
« on: February 25, 2014, 05:17:07 pm »

salamem

I have a question regarding Sajda / sajdah- e -tilawat / prostration of recitation  . There are points in Quran, where a prostration is considered compulsory , why  ?

Q:Also Why the locations of these following verses  below ( please check pix ) are marked in the Arabic text of the Quran with a symbol in the shape of mihrab /  محراب  and in some cpoies  of Quran text word sajdah mention apart as well in arabic/ urdu , What's the reasoning behind this ?

verses of prostration

Lo! those who are with thy Lord are not too proud to do Him service, but they praise Him and prostrate before Him.7:206

And unto Allah falleth prostrate whosoever is in the heavens and the earth, willingly or unwillingly, as do their shadows in the morning and the evening hours.13:15

And unto Allah maketh prostration whatsoever is in the heavens and whatsoever is in the earth of living creatures, and the angels (also) and they are not proud.16:49

Say: Believe therein or believe not, lo! those who were given knowledge before it, when it is read unto them, fall down prostrate on their faces, adoring,17:107

These are they unto whom Allah showed favour from among the prophets, of the seed of Adam and of those whom We carried (in the ship) with Noah, and of the seed of Abraham and Israel, and from among those whom We guided and chose. When the revelations of the Beneficent were recited unto them, they fell down, adoring and weeping. 19:58

Hast thou not seen that unto Allah payeth adoration whosoever is in the heavens and whosoever is in the earth, and the sun, and the moon, and the stars, and the hills, and the trees, and the beasts, and many of mankind, while there are many unto whom the doom is justly due. He whom Allah scorneth, there is none to give him honour. Lo! Allah doeth what He will. 22:18

And when it is said unto them: Prostrate to the Beneficent! they say: And what is the Beneficent? Are we to prostrate to whatever thou (Muhammad) biddest us? And it increaseth aversion in them. 25:60

So that they worship not Allah, Who bringeth forth the hidden in the heavens and the earth, and knoweth what ye hide and what ye proclaim,27:25

Only those believe in Our revelations who, when they are reminded of them, fall down prostrate and hymn the praise of their Lord, and they are not scornful  32:15

(David) said: He hath wronged thee in demanding thine ewe in addition to his ewes, and lo! many partners oppress one another, save such as believe and do good works, and they are few. And David guessed that We had tried him, and he sought forgiveness of his Lord, and he bowed himself and fell down prostrate and repented. 38:24

And of His portents are the night and the day and the sun and the moon. Do not prostrate to the sun or the moon; but prostrate to Allah Who created them, if it is in truth Him Whom ye worship 41:37

Rather prostrate yourselves before Allah and serve Him.53:62

وَإِذَا قُرِئَ عَلَيْهِمُ الْقُرْآنُ لَا يَسْجُدُونَ

M. M. Pickthall      
And, when the Qur'an is recited unto them, worship not (Allah)? 84:21

Yusuf Ali (Saudi Rev. 1985)   
And when the Qur'an is read to them, they fall not prostrate

Abdel Haleem
Why, when the Quran is read to them, do they not prostrate themselves [to God]?

كَلَّا لَا تُطِعْهُ وَاسْجُدْ وَاقْتَرِب

M. M. Pickthal
Nay, Obey not thou him. But prostrate thyself, and draw near (unto Allah). 96:19

Abdel Haleem

No! Do not obey him [Prophet]: bow down in worship and draw close

Q
: Are  the verses 84:21  and  96:19 the reason  of sajdah-e-tilawat ?

what i have heard is !! When reading these verses we should perform extra prostration' either reciting Quran or listening to someone's recitation, / (downloaded or online translation listening are also includes ), and when one of the verses of prostration is recited he / she must perform extra prostration / Sajdah,

There are also two recommendations !

1: If a person he/she reciting Quran at home and recited a sajdah verse then ,Put the Quran to the side in respectful manner ,
And start from a sitting position and locate the direction of the qiblah and face it , Make intention that u are doing a sajdah-e-tilawat
Say Allahu Akbar" (Takbir) , Go straight into sajdah (same like u would do in salat/ namaz/ prayers) , Sitting up after the single sajdah /prostration , Saying "as-salamu alayikum " (as u would when ending namaz/prayer), And Carry on reading the Quran.

2: Some said Sajdah -e-tilawat does not need to be performed straight away.( mean starting from sitting position ) one should put the Quran to one side and then stand up to offer the Sajdah similar to the way we do in Salat/ namaz

3: some said Either starting from a sitting position or standing position , or after recitation is finished (its okay what u prefer)

4: Or do in ur next prayers/salat but must perform ,this is recommended as sunnah

Q: Is performing sajdah -e-tilawat sunnah of wajib ?

Q: I don't know but i think it is not obligation to do so and it is not a sin to omit this ? Since am used to listen Quran with translation , so , what if i have repeatedly listen the sajdah verse at home or outside home or in the car , and some time I do repeats the same verse several times , then what would i do ? how may sajdah - e- tilawat should i perform ,if i repeatedly listens sajdah verses ?  So If one reads a sajdah verse more than a few times does he/she  have to perform multiple sajdah-e-tilawat?

Q;
If some one repeating particular  ayah/verse ,  over and over again  like 10/15 times so he/she could memorize it, do he/she have to make sajda tilawat 10/15 times ? What about them ?

Q: Or  only one Sajdah-e-Tilawat will be sufficent ? whether  reading or listening or memorizing ?

Ur feedback please ?

Report Spam   Logged

Lo! Allah hath bought from the believers their lives and their wealth because the Garden will be theirs: they shall fight in the way of Allah and shall slay and be slain. It is a promise which is binding on Him in the Torah and the Gospel and the Qur'an. Who fulfilleth His covenant better than Allah? Rejoice then in your bargain that ye have made, for that is the supreme triumph.9:111

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 09:16:31 pm »

As-salam Alaykum dear Sister Muslima.

I think what's really important is to separate the Laws of Allah from the laws of humankind.  Many man-made laws involve the process of picking up mandatory and sensitive aspects of Faith and planting them with new requirements and conditions.  We need to discern that facet and perceive accordingly.

We make sajood to Allah during our salaat and whenever else we reflect upon Allah and desire to fall down prostrate before Him.  Prostrating before Allah is a sign of the human heart being filled with HIS love.  Sajood is definitely an indispensable part of our prayers as we clearly perceive from the central ideology of the Noble Quran.

Ideas such as sajdah tilwat are inserted as laws by jurists belonging to the various schools of thought.  Of course, one can perform sajood whenever one desires, and similarly one can perform sajood in the course of reading the Quran which many people might want to do if they feel emotionally overwhelmed by the beauty of the Noble Quran.  But also, if someone wants to carefully read the Quran without sajda tilawat, I don't see anything wrong with that either.  It surely doesn't mean that person is disobedient to Allah, neither does it mean they love Allah any less than someone else who performs sajda tilawat.  If I sit down to read 3 or 4 pages of the Quran with full concentration and after finishing it offer my fard or nafl prayer and prostrate before Allah to comfort and soothe my heart, how does that become inferior to sajdah tilawat?  Also, as usual, the jurists conveniently forget the extent of sincerity in a person's heart during sajood and at all other times. 

Sajood has tremendous importance in the Quran because it's a sign of ultimate humility of the human heart toward Allah.  But there is no law in the Quran that while you are reading it, you must put it down and perform sajood at regular intervals.  None of the verses you quoted indicate that.  I repeat, sajdah is immensely important for every believer and something indispensable and natural for every pious and penitent soul.  But these specific ideas like Sajdah Tilawat do not come from Allah.  We can perform sajdah anytime we like.  If someone feels that prostrating at regular intervals during tilawat or recitation is helpful for them, then that's fine.  These are personal decisions.   
Report Spam   Logged

N. Truth Seeker
Quiet guy technology nerd | TEAM MUSLIM VILLA

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 10:56:40 pm »

Well and very honestly explained sister Ruhi.  That's exactly it.   Furthermore just as every single law made by the jurists vary in different communities of Muslims depending on who follows which school of thought, it's the same here.  According to their standardized law, the jurists has chosen 14 Quranic Ayats after which to perform Sajdah, and these points have been marked with "As-sajdah" shown in the margin.  But there are differences among the various groups. According to the Shafees and Hanafis there are 14 Sajdah Tilawat in the margin. According to Hanibalis there are 15, while the Malikis follow 11.  According to some jurists Sajdatut Tilawat is prohibited when the sun is rising, at noon, and during sunset.  The method of Sajdah Tilawat also differs particularly between Hanafis and Shafees.  The Hanifi method is to stand up and say 'Allahu Akbar' without raising the hands and then go down to Sajdah.  According to Shafees, they first say the niyah for Sajdatut Tilawat, then  recite the Takbeeratul Ihraam by saying 'Allahu Akbar' and perform one Sajdah. Then while standing up say the Takbeer (Allahu Akbar) and then recite the Tasleem(salaam) to complete the Sajdah.

So, just look at the confusion and inconsistencies within a single law. I'm sure if you research further, you might find more variations on its method.
Report Spam   Logged

muslima

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 12:45:56 pm »

wsalam  dear sis   Smiley

Ahh what a relief , thanks a lot my dear sis ruhi ,  JazakAllah kahir  i am 100% percent satisfied and 200 % agree with u Allah bless U  Smiley

Last evening I was working for some thing and  repeatedly listening  the surah contain sajdah verse  ,one of our  (respectable senior sister) asked me how many sajdah u will offer later ?  I asked her , what do u mean how many ? i do sajdah whenever i feel and it's  something which comes automatically, but right now  am just concentrating for work and i didn't even count how many time i have heard the sajdah verse, she got bit upset with me i guess  . I was like come on sis, my heart is already bowing down in sajdah do i need to show some thing here  ? absolutely not,   is there any restrictions or any ruling or hadith  ? but  she said nothing further except the things i wrote in my  post ,and quote me verse , And when the Qur'an is read to them, they fall not prostrate 84:21 , since i was not sure and it was so late  ,so i told her, i  will talk to u after the confirmation with sensible opinion but i don't feel u are right , i think Quran listening /recitation  is not difficult as much u are making it .

Allah bless U @ bro Truth-seeker , U are right ,Today I did some research and asked my hadithist friend as well , have found hadith involvement here too  Undecided

see that's how the rituals and traditions are entered into simple religion of  Ibrahim (pbuh) , check out Self contradict and confusing hadith text !! Sad

Narrated `Abdullah bin Mas`ud:

The Prophet (ﷺ) recited Suratan-Najm (103) at Mecca and prostrated while reciting it and those who were with him did the same except an old man who took a handful of small stones or earth and lifted it to his forehead and said, "This is sufficient for me." Later on, I saw him killed as a non-believer.

Reference   Sahih al-Bukhari 1067

In-book reference  : Book 17, Hadith 1

USC-MSA web (English) reference  : Vol. 2, Book 19, Hadith 173

Narrated `Ata' bin Yasar:

I asked Zaid bin Thabit about prostration on which he said that he had recited An-Najm before the Prophet, yet he (the Prophet) had not performed a prostration.

Reference: Sahih al-Bukhari 1072

In-book reference : Book 17, Hadith 6

USC-MSA web (English) reference  : Vol. 2, Book 19, Hadith 178

Narrated Abu Salma:

I saw Abu Huraira reciting Idha-Sama' un-Shaqqat and he prostrated during its recitation. I asked Abu Huraira, "Didn't I see you prostrating?" Abu Huraira said, "Had I not seen the Prophet (ﷺ) prostrating, I would not have prostrated."

Reference :  Sahih al-Bukhari 1074

In-book reference  : Book 17, Hadith 8

USC-MSA web (English) reference : Vol. 2, Book 19, Hadith 180

Report Spam   Logged

Lo! Allah hath bought from the believers their lives and their wealth because the Garden will be theirs: they shall fight in the way of Allah and shall slay and be slain. It is a promise which is binding on Him in the Torah and the Gospel and the Qur'an. Who fulfilleth His covenant better than Allah? Rejoice then in your bargain that ye have made, for that is the supreme triumph.9:111
Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 10:26:20 pm »

Salam Alaikum dear sister Muslima.  You're right sis.  I agree with you.  And sister Ruhi and br. TS have explained it truthfully & practically.

Concerning Verse 84:21, I would interpret it as referring to those who after hearing the reading of the Quran yet do not believe nor do their hearts soften to the remembrance of Allah .. and therefore even after hearing Quranic recitations they do not prostrate before Allah, that is, they do not worship Allah.  The Verse doesn't specifically imply prostrating at that very moment while one is reading the Quran.   If anyone wants to prostrate at that time, that's great.  But prostrating later is just as great, as long as one is totally sincere with a pure niyat.

Whether or not the Prophet (pbuh) always prostrated while reciting the Quran is known best only to Allah.  But even if he did, it's impossible for us to know at exactly what points of the recitations he prostrated.  Moreover, the important thing is that it's not obligatory for everyone to prostrate precisely at those points of Quranic recitations where the Prophet (pbuh) is presumed to have prostrated.  The important thing is that a believer must understand the meaning of sajood and regularly perform it during salaat and whichever other time they feel like.  The understanding of sajood makes us feel and realize how close it brings us to Allah as HIS humble slaves.  Hence there are no fixed times for it.  Prostration or sajood is our duty towards Allah at all times.  With each sincere prostration we purify our own souls.  Allah doesn't deduct His blessings based on timings of prostration.  Of course, prostration is an inseparable part of prayer or salaat.  In fact, prostration is the essence of Monotheistic (Tawheed) prayer.  Other than prayer times, there are no hard and fast rules concerning the timings of prostration.  One can prostrate any time one wants to.

In a similar perspective but for a different purpose, the signs of rukus in the margins of Quranic copies are also human annexations.  However, I appreciate ruku signs as they are meant for practical convenience.  Every ruku sign indicates the start of a different topic within every Surah.  Therefore it facilitates the reading of the Quran.  I always end my reading for the day at a ruku sign, and begin the following day from that point.  But this is only for my convenience and it's my personal decision.  If someone wants to end their day's reading by bookmarking a point where ruku is not marked, that's also just as fine.   Here is our brief post and thread on ruku signs.
Report Spam   Logged

muslima

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 09:49:35 am »

Salam Alaikum dear sister Muslima. 

Concerning Verse 84:21,  The Verse doesn't specifically imply prostrating at that very moment while one is reading the Quran.   If anyone wants to prostrate at that time, that's great.  But prostrating later is just as great, as long as one is totally sincere with a pure niyat.

Whether or not the Prophet (pbuh) always prostrated while reciting the Quran is known best only to Allah.  But even if he did, it's impossible for us to know at exactly what points of the recitations he prostrated. 

Prostration or sajood is our duty towards Allah at all times.  With each sincere prostration we purify our own souls.  Allah doesn't deduct His blessings based on timings of prostration.  Of course, prostration is an inseparable part of prayer or salaat.  In fact, prostration is the essence of Monotheistic (Tawheed) prayer.  Other than prayer times, there are no hard and fast rules concerning the timings of prostration.  One can prostrate any time one wants to.

Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

wsalam

Jazak Allah My Dear Sis Heba ,thank U so much for ur time and further clarification of verse 84:21 , I am very grateful to U my sis ,Allah Bless u and ur family ameen  Smiley

May Allah reward u guys from His best ameen
Report Spam   Logged

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 10:18:04 pm »

You're welcomed dear sis  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: