Registration of new members is currently closed. Guestbook opened for now.  Guests who have questions may post at our guestbook.  No lengthy debates please. Kindly note: MV is a place for serious learning through mutual consultation where we have zero tolerance for trouble-makers, narcissists and needless disputants. We simply stand for what is compatible with the Noble Quran regardless of titles such as "traditionalism" or "modernism." We have the right to our opinion just as you have the right to yours. All disagreements must be left at that. Final Judgement belongs to The Almighty.
MUSLIM VILLA - QURAN ONLY
March 18, 2024, 10:57:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Salat-al-Istisqa

+-
Shoutbox
November 01, 2023, 03:44:32 pm Zainab_M: Allahhuma ameen .. ameen.
November 01, 2023, 03:43:43 pm Ruhi_Rose: Yes .. making lots of dua everyday ..... watching those real life video clips, my face feels wet with tears all the time.  May ALLAH grant the best to these wonderful, brave & steadfast martyrs,  Ameen ya Allah.
November 01, 2023, 03:38:26 pm Zainab_M: Keep praying, praying a lot for Gaza. It's worse than a prison .. it's a concentration camp.  Children as young as 10 or 11 are having to care for their younger siblings ages 2, 3 and 4 becoz many have lost both parents.  It's a very, very, very tearful situation there.
October 26, 2023, 03:40:19 pm N. Truth Seeker: Don't forget to look up MV Blog Zainab's Lounge for our Gaza updates.
October 20, 2023, 04:24:44 pm Zainab_M: Right sister Heba.  Gaza hospital bombing has the fingerprints of Israel all over it.  For Israel this is no big crime.  They have done this and much worse many times in the past and intend to do the same and worse many more times in near future.
October 20, 2023, 04:20:20 pm Heba E. Husseyn: Catching Zionist lies isn't hard. Soon after Gaza hospital bombing killing and maiming hundreds, Israel was quick to accuse Islamic Jihad of a misfired rocket.  That didn't sound plausible because IJ does not have such sophisticated bombing devices.  Zionist lie was fully exposed when anglican archbishop of Jerusalem,Hosam Naoum,  said today that 3 or 4 days prior to boming Israel had warned Gaza hospital to evacuate. Yet CIA claims in its flawed analysis that the rocket did not come from Israel.  But conveniently does not explain how Israel could have known 4 days earlier that a "misfired" rocket from IJ was coming.  Yet on the basis of this flawed & bias analysis of CIA, Biden is comforting Israel he believes Israel didn't do that war crimes bombing.
July 29, 2023, 03:02:07 am Zainab_M: Yesterday was Ashura, Muharram 10, 1444 (July 27, 2023).  Read about this very tragic day and details of the world's greatest 7th century revolutionary: WHO WAS HUSSEIN.
June 28, 2023, 09:48:39 am Zainab_M: Walaikum As Salaam.  This was the first Hajj open to all after the pandemic. It was attended by 2.6 million Muslims.
View Shout History
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Salat-al-Istisqa  (Read 1311 times)
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

Badges: (View All)
« on: March 26, 2014, 01:59:29 am »

As-Salam Alaykum my dear everyone  Smiley

Please tell me something more about Salat-al-Istisqa.  I know that it's a specific salat requesting Allah for rain in times of drought; its method is also different and traditionalists say it can only be offered at the masjid, not at home.  But why?  Can't we also supplicate to Allah for rain after our daily prayers just as we implore Him for fulfilling other requests?  Or, we can offer nafls asking for His mercy to relieve us of drought.  So why give this a separate title with a different procedure and different requirement?  If believers sincerely offer prayer from home asking for rain, would it really be less effective?

Just for my information, I would be grateful if someone highlighted the exact procedure of Salat al-Istisqa, and its origin which might probably be a Hadith. 

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Heba E. Husseyn
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA Villa Artisan

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 05:08:59 am »

Wa'Salam sis Smiley  Salat al-Istisqa is a tradition that comes from a Hadith by Tirmidhi.   I'll try to look for it and post it.  But I know it's from Tirmidhi.

I've also been perplexed about it and have several queries.  The procedure is: First the imam and the followers pray two rakats.  In the first rakat the imam recites Surah Al-Aala after Fatiha, and in the second rakat he recites Surah Al-Ghashiya after Fatiha.  Then he delivers a khutba (sermon) which can also be delivered before the two rakats of prayer.  As soon as he finishes his khutba, "the people turn their outer garments around, placing its left side over its right side, and its right side on his left."  This was said by a Hadithist sheikh named Sayyed Sabiq.  He further added, "face the qiblah and supplicate to Allah and raise your hands while doing so."  Well, while praying the two rakats, the people are already facing the qiblah, aren't they?

My questions are:

1) Just as you asked, why aren't we allowed to do this prayer at home?
2) Why can't we recite any other Surahs as well?
3) What is this custom of turning the outer garment around and placing left side over right side etc.?  From where does this strange practice come?  It maybe from the pagan days as Hadith loves to bring back those practices.

In my opinion, if you desperately want it to rain, you can definitely pray for it from home with either two rakats or four rakats or more reciting any Surahs you have memorized after Fatiha.  And your supplication can be in your own words.  The important thing is concentration and sincerity towards Allah only.
Report Spam   Logged

muslima

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 06:32:19 pm »

Salat al-Istisqa is a tradition that comes from a Hadith by Tirmidhi.   I'll try to look for it and post it.  But I know it's from Tirmidhi.

In my opinion, if you desperately want it to rain, you can definitely pray for it from home with either two rakats or four rakats or more reciting any Surahs you have memorized after Fatiha.  And your supplication can be in your own words.  The important thing is concentration and sincerity towards Allah only.

Thumbsup Thumbsup

salamem

I agree with sis heba's opinion , absolutely right ,in fact , This view is itself based on the Quran surah Nuh  71:10-11

And I have said: Seek pardon of your Lord. Lo! He was ever Forgiving.

He will let loose the sky for you in plenteous rain,

seeking rain simple method of supplication /dua  asking forgiveness from Allah ,

'Ask forgiveness To Allah  and turn to Him (in repentance): He will send you the skies pouring abundant rain.'" This is it?

Q: No evidence of this separate title and  method in Quran for offering the prayer for rain / salaat al-istisqa under such ruling , neither in following ahadith's of  Bukhari ,Tirmidhi. Muslim then where from this specific wearied method come ?

Undecided

Q: My question is why absence of rain is suppose to be the result of the sins of people and is a sign of divine wrath and chastisement ? any historical link with surah Nuh  ? any other surah  ?

@ Sis Heba is right  Tirmidhi hadith  detailed this method

http://www.hadithcollection.com/fiqh-ussunnah/345-Fiqh-us%20Sunnah%20Section%2022.%20Salatul%20Istisqa,%20Prayer%20For%20Rain/20963-fiqh-us-sunnah-volume-002-supererogatory-prayer-fiqh-2036b.html

Section : Salatul Istisqa, prayer for rain.

This prayer is taken recourse to when seeking rain from Allah during times of drought. It may be performed in one of the following manners:

1. The imam prays, with the followers, two rak'at during any time except those times in which it is not desirable to pray. In the first rak'ah, the imam recites al-A'la after al-Fatihah. And in the second rak'ah, he reads al-Ghashiyah after al-Fatihah, and he delivers a khutbah before or after the salah. As soon as he finishes the khutbah, the people present should turn their outer garments around, each placing its left side on his right side and its right side on his left, face the qiblah, supplicate Allah and raise their hands while doing so.

Ibn 'Abbas reports: "The Messenger of Allah went out [to make the salatul istisqa'] wearing old clothes, in a humble and lowly manner, and prayed two rak'at as he prayed the 'id, but he did not give a similar khutbah." This is related by the five. At-Tirmizhi, Abu 'Awanah, and Ibn Hibban grade it sahih

http://sunnah.com/tirmidhi/6/13

(43)Chapter: What Has Been Related About Salat Al-Istisqa (The Prayer To Request Rain)

باب مَا جَاءَ فِي صَلاَةِ الاِسْتِسْقَاءِ

Abbad bin Tamim narrated from his uncle:

"The Messenger of Allah went out with the people to seek rain. So he led them in prayer for two Rak'ah, reciting aloud in them, turning his upper wrap around, raising his hands, requesting rain, and facing the Qiblah."

Grade   : Sahih (Darussalam)   
Reference    : Jami` at-Tirmidhi 556
In-book reference    : Book 6, Hadith 13
English translation    : Vol. 2, Book 1, Hadith 556

Jami` at-Tirmidhi - Book 6, Hadith 15
It is narrated from Hisham bin Ishaq - and he was from Ibn Abdullah bin Kinanah - from his father who said:

"Al-Walid bin Uqbah, the governor of Al-Madinah, sent me to ask Ibn Abbas about how the Messenger of Allah would perform Salat Al-Istisqa. I came to him and he said: 'The Messenger of Allah would go out in modest dress, humbly, imploring, until he reached the Musalla. He would not give this Khutbah of yours, rather, he would continue supplication and imploring saying the Takbir, and pray two Rak'ah, just as he would pray for the Eid.'" (Hasan)

Other references
English translation    Vol. 2, Book 1, Hadith 558
In-book reference    Book 6, Hadith 15
Reference    Jami` at-Tirmidhi 558

كتاب صلاة الاستسقاء‏ 9 The Book of Prayer - Rain

(2)Chapter: The Supplication When Praying For Rain(2) باب الدُّعَاءِ فِي الاِسْتِسْقَاءِ ‏

Anas (b. Malik) reported:
It rained upon us as we were with the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ). The Messenger of Allah (way peace be upon him) removed his cloth (from a part of his body) till the rain fell on it. We said: Messenger of Allah, why did you do this? He said: It is because it (the rainfall) has just come from the Exalted Lord.

وَحَدَّثَنَا يَحْيَى بْنُ يَحْيَى، أَخْبَرَنَا جَعْفَرُ بْنُ سُلَيْمَانَ، عَنْ ثَابِتٍ الْبُنَانِيِّ، عَنْ أَنَسٍ، قَالَ قَالَ أَنَسٌ أَصَابَنَا وَنَحْنُ مَعَ رَسُولِ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم مَطَرٌ قَالَ فَحَسَرَ رَسُولُ

Reference    : Sahih Muslim 898
In-book reference    : Book 9, Hadith 14
USC-MSA web (English) reference    : Book 4, Hadith 1960
  (deprecated numbering scheme)

here is 31 hadith found in 'Invoking Allah for Rain (Istisqaa)' of Sahih Bukhari.

http://www.searchtruth.com/book_display.php?book=17&translator=1
Report Spam   Logged

Lo! Allah hath bought from the believers their lives and their wealth because the Garden will be theirs: they shall fight in the way of Allah and shall slay and be slain. It is a promise which is binding on Him in the Torah and the Gospel and the Qur'an. Who fulfilleth His covenant better than Allah? Rejoice then in your bargain that ye have made, for that is the supreme triumph.9:111
Ruhi_Rose
TEAM MUSLIM VILLA The Avid Reader | Mom of 3 cute rascals

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 02:43:15 am »

Ow!  thank you dear sisters.  It was interesting going through the entire information both of you provided.  Thanks for quoting those hadiths sister Muslima.  O yeah, this practice is definitely straight from the hadith.

So, that bit about turning the garment around is supposed to be like lifting your attire so that rain can touch a part of body ??   This is another strange notion by hadith.  The Quran never says anywhere that as a sign of gratitude we should expose a part of our body to the first shower of the season.  As a sign of gratitude, we can thank Allah during prayers, during recitation of zikrs and during our normal schedule of life.

I too don't know of any historical link.  Verses 71:10-11 is about the people of the community of Prophet Nooh who were disobedient and rejected the Message of Allah sent to them through Prophet Nooh.  In these Verses Prophet Nooh is telling Allah how he tried his best to call his people to Faith mentioning to them the rewards which Allah would give them if they left kufr and started to believe in Allah only.  But they rejected the Message of Allah sent to them through His messenger.

You are right sister Muslima.  Usually lack of rain and drought-like conditions are taken as a punishment from Allah.  But I don't quite agree with this notion.  In some cases maybe it's a punishment, depending on the community.  But certainly not all.  Many cases of drought and famine nowadays in countries like Somalia etc. are actually a result of mismanagement by the government and carelessness of the international community. 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: